Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

26 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

From what I have seen of the new crop of QB's, none of them are worthy of going top 10.

There are a bunch that should go day 2, although a couple with be overdrafted in the first.

I don't like many of the vets either and would cost too much unless the plan was for them to start. I'd rather a TH competition unless we are drafting a Burrow, Hebert type

They’re still going to go top 10. QBs are by far the most over drafted position because of the fifth year option.

There are always lots of QB desperate teams that will reach on guys. Its up to your scouting and player development. For every Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes there are ten Blaine Gabberts, Christian Ponders, Jake Lockers etc.

If we find a guy we really like, go get him. But you have to legitimately like him. Scratch that, love him.

• Like 2

Just now, Warhead36 said:

There are always lots of QB desperate teams that will reach on guys. Its up to your scouting and player development. For every Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes there are ten Blaine Gabberts, Christian Ponders, Jake Lockers etc.

If we find a guy we really like, go get him. But you have to legitimately like him. Scratch that, love him.

Completely agree.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

They’re still going to go top 10. QBs are by far the most over drafted position because of the fifth year option.

Yeah, a couple might go top 10 (over drafted).  The 5th year option is big for those guys that might otherwise go in the 2nd. Hope they really like one of these types.

If not, they are going to need to bring in a vet to better Allen. That may be difficult as they will be looking for teams that will let them start

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah, a couple might go top 10 (over drafted).  The 5th year option is big for those guys that might otherwise go in the 2nd. Hope they really like one of these types.

If not, they are going to need to bring in a vet to better Allen. That may be difficult as they will be looking for teams that will let them start

Have to upgrade Allen for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redwards said:

Rivera would get crucified if Bridgwater was his "solution",  and he knows it.  He admitted that the fans shouldn't tolerate anything less than a franchise QB.  He all but whiffed in this past draft on his 1st and 3rd round picks.  (Jamin Davis being a good, solid player for us by the end of next year is a joke.  You don't take a project like him in the 1st round.  IMHO, there were better players available.  Davis flat out stinks and hasn't shown much of anything the entire year.  Don't even get me started on Dyami Brown.  You forget he even plays for this team.)  Ron has precious few playmakers on this team, an offense that is an anemic, one dimensional yawn that is frightened to take shots downfield with anything resembling regularity and an entire team that struggles to play two halves of football - 2 years into Ron's tenure.  That's very, very Gruden-esq.  

So far, Ron has built an extremely mediocre team that seems to have no real direction or identity, yet has always maintained that they are a "much better team than we've shown.  We just need to show it".  Those kinds of statements should frighten this fanbase because they are exactly the phrases used by Turner's teams and all the teams since.  Ron is supposed to be better than this.  

It is beyond crucial that Rivera and his hand-picked FO absolutely nail this offseason and that this team takes a serious step forward next year.  That means winning streaks through the season that ends up with a quality winning record and a playoff berth that doesn't require a miracle run in the twilight of the season to secure.  That all starts with a legit franchise QB prospect.  I have no problem with TH as the bridge, if needed.  But to me, there is no way he is the answer.  I've seen absolutely nothing from him that convinces of that.  Ron also needs to do some serious self-reflection regarding how he chooses to prepare his team in the offseason.  He's teams routinely start the season flat going back to NC.  After two straight years of this, it in no way should be tolerated in Year 3.   I think this offseason and next year will absolutely write the book on how the Ron Rivera era in D.C. is going to go.  

You have no earthly clue how rookies are going to turn out this early into their career and Davis hasn’t been terrible. Player development can take time dial back the hysteria. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

You have no earthly clue how rookies are going to turn out this early into their career and Davis hasn’t been terrible. Player development can take time dial back the hysteria. 

While that's true, typically if you suck early on you're basically always going to suck. Very rarely do players suck for 3 years and then turn into All Pros. The good players usually at least flash something early. I've seen almost nothing from Dyami Brown that tells me he won't be anything more than Josh Doctson. Jamin Davis has shown a bit so I''m willing to say I think he can be a solid starter by the end of 2022 but that's probably his best case scenario.

Edited by Warhead36

The truth is that the answer on what to do is that there probably isn't an answer. All the options suck. All the options are longshots. I'm not suggesting to not try, but the odds that any of them pan out are slim. The trade market, particularly in the last 25+ years, is notoriously poor. Finding a legit franchise QB is near impossible. You might find a capable stopgap who might be an upgrade on Taylor Heinicke. But how much do you want to pay for a slight upgrade at QB? Seems to be the same gameplan this franchise has always taken, spending future assets to maybe get to .500. We've seen this story before. Brad Johnson. Mark Brunell. Donovan McNabb. Alex Smith. Washington didn't come close to winning any of those trades and none of them were the answer. And it's not like other teams were doing much better. Maybe Deshaun Watson becomes the exception. But in terms of a real solution, a trade has been notoriously poor choice,

Free agency is slightly better, because there have been occasional hits and at least you're not spending draft capital. But outside of Drew Brees, has there really been a bona fide franchise guy (no, I don't count Cousins as a franchise guy)? You did have guys like Manning and Brady, who were still great QBs. But Manning only gave Denver 3 good years and Brady likely doesn't even get that. They were both very good when playing, however. So you'd take that and try and find another guy in a few years. But if you want to build a team around a guy for 10+ years, free agency isn't for you. And despite Brees, Brady, and Manning's success, the hits are still few and far between. So while I like this option better than trading, it's still a fairly poor option.

Which leaves the draft. The only likely solution for real long term answers. Problem being a typical draft produces maybe 1-2 franchise QBs. And often times those guys are long gone by pick 10. Not always and every draft is different. But 2022 doesn't look like a strong year and Washington isn't going to have a top pick. So the odds of finding that guy next year seems slim. But, if you had to take a shot, this one seems like the best one. I'd certainly rather do that then dump assets into another 30+ year old QB who might be the 12th best guy in the NFL on his absolute best day (but probably more like the 18th best on most days).

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd trade a first and sweat for Carr.

Today answered a lot of questions for us.

Me, too. 

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

Carr would probably cost a 1st plus more. I think he's definitely an upgrade to Heinicke talent-wise, but is he that much of an upgrade? I'm dubious. 

Is he "that" much of an upgrade?  Based on what I've seen so far IMO heck yeah he is.  This isn't Teddy Bridgerwater.   I don't see Carr as top 10 but IMO in that 10-14 range.    I'd let Taylor finish the season to see what he has left and maybe I'd change my mind but based on what I've seen thus far, I'd trade for Carr in a heartbeat.  

I like to say for me the gauge of a franchise QB is their ability to win a shoot out when the run game is shut down.  And Carr heading into yesterday if I recall led the league in yards per game.  They put the games on his shoulders. 

I was at the Raiders game, and I was wowed by that rocket he threw towards the end of the game.  It had to be about 70 yards and with velocity, too.  We wouldn't have these underthrows to Terry, etc. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me, too. 

Is he "that" much of an upgrade?  Based on what I've seen so far IMO heck yeah he is.  This isn't Teddy Bridgerwater.   I don't see Carr as top 10 but IMO in that 10-14 range.    I'd let Taylor finish the season to see what he has left and maybe I'd change my mind but based on what I've seen thus far, I'd trade for Carr in a heartbeat.  

I like to say for me the gauge of a franchise QB is their ability to win a shoot out when the run game is shut down.  And Carr heading into yesterday if I recall led the league in yards per game.  They put the games on his shoulders. 

I was at the Raiders game, and I was wowed by that rocket he threw towards the end of the game.  It had to be about 70 yards and with velocity, too.  We wouldn't have these underthrows to Terry, etc. 

Sweat and some change for Carr is one of the only doable trades that I'd be behind. Not Sweat and a 1, though. Carr comes with a pricetag but he is an upgrade.

Pickett, Corral, Strong, Howell, Willis -- some would say Ridder are somewhat bunched up in the minds of mock drafters.  Which is unusual versus typical.   Now I typically don't care much about mock drafters but NFL insider types have said its the same with NFL scouts.

I think the Senior Bowl might be key to propel some of these guys into the top 10.

But for now its shaping to be an unusual draft.  I know some say (and I've said it in the past) that QBs tend to go top 10.  They tend to go higher than expected.  that's true.  but I can't recall a draft like this in a long time because at this point there are guys that tend to be consensus top 10 guys.  Dudes that show up like #7 in a mock draft right now but end up going #1 or #2.  But it isn't dudes typically showing up #19 or the 2nd round and then going #1.  In some cases, yeah but there are typically some slam dunk top 10 QBs at this juncture of the draft process and its not the case right now.

I think a dude like Pickett could jump as a slam dunk top 5 pick with a big Senior Bowl.  But otherwise this draft feels like we got 6 Mac Jones level perceived prospects.  By that I mean dudes that evaluators don't see as slam dunk killer prospects.  Guys that you go back and forth on and in turn might fall to the mid first.

I've given it a shot judging all of these QBs and in my layman's opinion I get the confusion and the lack of consensus about that spot.  It's not IMO because they all stink as some suggest on some threads.   I don't get the vibe of hating these guys when I watch them like I did for example watching Haskins.   Instead these hit me as guys that deserve to go in that 15-25 range.  And IMO its likely the perfect storm for our draft position -- right draft at the right time versus this means trouble for us.  If there was a slam dunk mega talent like the perception of some of the QBs in the last draft then we'd be screwed.  But this draft IMO is one where scouts will earn their money -- guys that you look at and think maybe but its not obvious.  

I respect everyone's opinion on the draft thread but at the same time if anyone there comes in hard on an opinion where they feel they got name that QB figured out, I shrug it off to some extent.   It's not that I don't respect that they've formed a hard opinion on anyone but for me I just can't take it at face value versus my own take. Ditto any mock drafters take.  I am interesting in reading all of those takes.  So it's not that I am not interested in people's takes but since my take at the moment is I am bit confused about some of these prospects, and I've already spent a lot of time on them, where I can see it in some ways and in another ways I don't -- i am hanging on the thought that I need to dive deeper and also rely heavily on what we learned about these players intangibles. 

For example, if I hear Nagy rave about Pickett is burning the midnight oil and players gravitate towards him as a leader -- ala what he said about Mac Jones, I'll take it seriously.  If Willis looks raw at the Senior Bowl or instead polished, I'll take that seriously, too.  The Senior Bowl to me will be a deciding factor on some of these guys.

Bur yeah in just about every draft there are guys that go in the 10-20 range at the QB spot. Right now, pre Senior Bowl, i am suspecting this year will be no different.  And I suspect some of who will fall there will be intriguing. 

• Like 1

I still want Heinicke as the starter going into next year. If we draft a QB in the first I hope at minimum we do something like what Chicago is doing with Fields or what SF is doing with Lance. 

One thing I'll say is that I have more trust in Scot Turner (and his father Norv) in finding a QB than I have in any previous FO representative or coach. We've seen them select decent to good QBs in Heinicke and Allen who were found on the scraps. Then Turner found Frerotte and Green and Brought in Johnson. Part of me is wondering if as much heat as coaches get for being the coach & GM (particularly offensive guys like the Turners) gets around finding every position. I look at guys like Holmgren who found Favre and then Hasselbeck, Shanahan found Kirk and then Jimmy G. So I'm thinking that whoever we get, if Turner's on board I may be on board as well. I keep getting into these discussions about it but I'm not so excited about this draft class. But what does that mean? What do I know? For that matter, what do draft experts know? So much of the scouting process and what we talk about is about measurables and what is important is what's not measurable - coachability, decision making, ego, intelligence, etc. We don't hear enough about those things, and I'm confident that those are the things that coaches are getting more info on than draft sites or even scouts. 

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sweat and some change for Carr is one of the only doable trades that I'd be behind. Not Sweat and a 1, though. Carr comes with a pricetag but he is an upgrade.

It would be nice if we can get him that cheap but no way I'd do that trade if I am the Raiders.  I recall saying when we were interested in Stafford last off season, I'd trade a first and third for him.  Some said on that QB thread that was too rich.  Ironically later on, some argued with me that the WFT wasn't that serious about Stafford because they ONLY offered a first and a third.

We'd be lucky IMO to convince the Raiders to trade Carr period let alone for something that doesn't involve a first.  I recall the rumor was last off season that they wanted two number 1 picks for him.  Race forward today, after Carr having a bigger season than the previous one, I'd think we'd be lucky to talk them into a first and Sweat.  I would turn down that deal, too, especially with our pick likely being in the 20s.   And I'll grant that I've soured some on Sweat so that factors in some of my thoughts here.  I like Sweat but I don't feel as much as I did before the season about him being a monster pass rusher.  And his behavior this year has turned me off a little.  

One thing I learned when I was in Vegas for that game was Carr is the Raiders.  Carr jerseys everywhere.  Carr talk from their beat guys.  I traveled to the game in a van packed with Raider fans and we talked football and it was Carr this and Carr that.  Carr posters.  They seem to hang their hopes on that dude.  They IMO put too much on his shoulders.  It's hard for me to picture them letting him go in a trade because of how much he seems to mean to that franchise. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 7.32.32 AM.png

Carr would be a strong move, we did reportedly inquire last offseason. They also wanted to draft Sweat, I guess time has moved on since then. That’s said, Carr is heading into his final year under contract so you would think something  has to give with him, either in LV or elsewhere.

TH most certainly took a significant backward step yesterday. 

Im also not convinced we have a good enough roster to accommodate a rookie QB that requires time, unless you strike very lucky in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ironically later on, some argued with me that the WFT wasn't that serious about Stafford because they ONLY offered a first and a third.

Guilty as charged :ols:

Carr seems to be the flavor of the day. Who else outside of the Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson? 

Some of you are adamant Watson is off the table even if cleared. Many of those are also the that screamed no to Micah Parsons. I understand why, just pointing out that with Micah's incredible success, memories fleet. Same could happen with Watson, again, if cleared

I hate the idea of Bridgewater at the price previously mentioned. Same for Mitch T as they should be in similar FA price range conversations. 

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Carr would be a strong move, we did reportedly inquire last offseason. They also wanted to draft Sweat, I guess time has moved on since then. That’s said, Carr is heading into his final year under contract so you would think something  has to give with him, either in LV or elsewhere.

Agree.  I do think a veteran is more likely to be the move.  I'd be jazzed about Carr.    But the more i think about it as I discuss this, I'd wonder if they'd do it.  Vegas was a Derrick Carr town.   His jerseys everywhere.  Billboards.  You name it.  It's a celebrity town and I noticed he's the top celebrity of that team.   

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Guilty as charged :ols:

lol, yep, I recall,  Look Mike Silver in his article deemed the 1st and a third as their opening bid.  So it suggested they were willing to give up even more.  Reading the article from Silver it gives a strong vibe that they were dead serious about Stafford.  They actually thought they'd land him.

My point though is these guys don't come cheap.  I recall when the rumors surfaced about Stafford some of the QB thread thought it wouldn't even demand a first rounder let alone a first and change.  I mentioned the first and third ironically and some said that is steep and higher than they'd be willing to go -- some agreed with me that'd do that but that's as far as they'd dream of going. 

QBs are expensive.  And IMO sometimes they are actually worth it.  Dudes like Stafford don't hit the trade market that often. 

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Carr seems to be the flavor of the day. Who else outside of the Rodgers, Wilson, or Watson? 

Some of you are adamant Watson is off the table even if cleared. Many of those are also the that screamed no to Micah Parsons. I understand why, just pointing out that with Micah's incredible success, memories fleet. Same could happen with Watson, again, if cleared

I hate the idea of Bridgewater at the price previously mentioned. Same for Mitch T as they should be in similar FA price range conversations. 

I actually think Carr is a long shot as for hitting the market.   Judging by some GB beat guys, Rodgers might be a long shot too.    Wilson looks like is slam dunk hitting the market.  Watson, too.  Maybe Ryan. 

As for Parsons, he was my top rated LB.  And I said when Dallas took him, I wasn't happy he is a Cowboy.  lol, I recall people slamming him for a preseason game and i said on that thread it feels like bad karma to slam this dude as a bad pick after a preseason game. :ols:  But heck i still didn't think he'd be this level special.   He IMO is easily right now better than both Chase and Sweat. He's elite.  

I am also out on Bridgewater and Trubsiky. 

I am ok with Heinicke as being one of the QBs.  But I want another, too.  And by another i am looking for an upgrade not a backup for Taylor. 

Draft the best option in the first, grab the best from the senior bowl after that. Go after all the top FAs and throw money at whoever we can get. 

We need an entirely new QB room next year.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I actually think Carr is a long shot as for hitting the market.   Judging by some GB beat guys, Rodgers might be a long shot too.    Wilson looks like is slam dunk hitting the market.  Watson, too.  Maybe Ryan. 

As for Parsons, he was my top rated LB.  And I said when Dallas took him, I wasn't happy he is a Cowboy.  lol, I recall people slamming him for a preseason game and i said on that thread it feels like bad karma to slam this dude as a bad pick after a preseason game. :ols:  But heck i still didn't think he'd be this level special.   He IMO is easily right now better than both Chase and Sweat. He's elite.  

I am also out on Bridgewater and Trubsiky. 

I am ok with Heinicke as being one of the QBs.  But I want another, too.  And by another i am looking for an upgrade not a backup for Taylor. 

I've been a fan of Teddy since he was drafted, but not at that price. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him on the team next year. 

Trubiski would be fine with me, as long as we're aggressive in the draft.

OL, RB, FS, LB in the draft too, but it's back to code red for the QB position. Good reminder what happens when you can't hide the hole at QB yesterday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Ryan were a little younger I would be all in on him. I just don't want to put my future in a 37 year old. Also not sure he will be available.

With TH signed for next year, it would be ideal to bring in a young QB. 

• Like 1

Amazing what one loss does to this conversation.

I'm still convinced we are going to squeak in with a wild card which will give us a pretty low first round pick.

Really have to see how things play in terms of prospect rankings and the top of draft, I still don't like the idea of trading up this year, still on trading down so we can trade up next year.

We seem to be going back and forth on Taylor being a bridge QB.  He had a bad game and our offense got completely overwhelmed by Dallas defense early.  Its a clear indication that we have several holes on the offensive side of the ball and don't match up talent wise with them. 

So this is bigger then QB, and sounds about right considering we are overachieving during the early stages of what was supposed to be a top to bottom rebuild.  

10 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

With respect, if you re-read my post, I didn't declare a verdict on how any player is going to turn out.  And what "hysteria" are you referring to?  All my thoughts are calculated before I type them.  It's not like I'm typing away in a panicked tornado all the while frothing at the mouth here.  Lol.  

For the record, I agree with you: you cannot in any way, shape or form figure out how a rookie is going to turn out.  I'm 46, have watched football my entire life, played the sport and coached it.  Believe me, no one understands the developmental process and the possibilities of it better than me.

But re-read the post.  With regard to Davis, did I actually say anything that isn't true right now?  No.  He stinks right now.  You forget he's on the field.  He's shown very little progress.  And that is deeply concerning.  For what he is at the moment and the sheer amount of rawness he possesses, there is no way he should have been taken in the first round unless he was being touted as some future HOF type player, which, if memory serves, he wasn't.  You do not take major project that high, especially when you are rebuilding and have myriad other quality options available.  He should have gone late 2nd or in the 3rd.  IF he ends up a perennial pro bowler, then that's wonderful.  I hope he does.  But for where we are in building and his lack of do pretty much anything of note on the field this late in his rookie year, it calls a lot into question.  

As far as Dyami Brown goes, he's got lightyears to go to justify his draft position.   Now, I played and coached WRs, and that is one position that can take the longest for a player to acclimate on the next level next to the QB position.   But where in my post did I declare him a bust or a "never-will-be"?  I didn't.   I said he is of no impact and you forget he's on the field.  And when the ball is thrown to him, 95% of the time it's very tight coverage.  He can't get separation even with his incredible speed.  He's small and can't get the free releases off the line like he need to.  For being a 3rd rounder and it being this late in the season, and with Curtis being hurt all year opening up a plethora of chances for him to grow his game this year, he's shown absolutely nothing.  I'm telling you right now, even with all the growth that can still happen, that's bad news for a WR that was drafted to be one of the main guys that takes the most pressure off of Terry.

If you're not concerned with these two individuals and their stunning lack of progress (that doesn't equate to being full-formed players) this year, then that's totally fine.  I have zero problem with that.  Good on you.  But I know a bunch of fans that indeed are concerned, and IMHO, rightly so about these two.  Jon Allen even acknowledged we have a lack of stars.  It's been that way for over 10 years.  I'm not seeing that changing much here under Ron and this FO so far.  This is a HUGE year for them.  Not sure how anyone can disagree with that statement.  If you do, cool.  That's awesome. 

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1

The one selling point of drafting a QB high, is when Heini starts with his bull****, starting the rookie doesn't look bad and buys patience. If we started Allen this week, the hive would be throwing diapers on the field. If we bring in Trubisky and we bench the turkey canon for him midseason and he struggles, it looks bad all around. Bridgewater or Carr, can be handed the reigns day one when they beat out Tyler in camp easily.

19 minutes ago, Redwards said:

As far as Dyami Brown goes, he's got lightyears to go to justify his draft position.   Now, I played and coached WRs, and that is one position that can take the longest for a player to acclimate on the next level next to the QB position.   But where in my post did I declare him a bust or a "never-will-be"?  I didn't.   I said he is of no impact and you forget he's on the field.  And when the ball is thrown to him, 95% of the time it's very tight coverage.  He can't get separation even with his incredible speed.  He's small and can't get the free releases off the line like he need to.  For being a 3rd rounder and it being this late in the season, and with Curtis being hurt all year opening up a plethora of chances for him to grow his game this year, he's shown absolutely nothing.  I'm telling you right now, even with all the growth that can still happen, that's bad news for a WR that was drafted to be one of the main guys that takes the most pressure off of Terry.

I'm not high or low on Dyami Brown for one reason, and that is because we don't have a QB that can stretch the field.

I'm curious if your assessment of him is based on watching games live or if you've been going back and watching the All 22.  Feels like it's hard to have a polished opinion on him without seeing it from above.

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Amazing what one loss does to this conversation.

I'm still convinced we are going to squeak in with a wild card which will give us a pretty low first round pick.

Really have to see how things play in terms of prospect rankings and the top of draft, I still don't like the idea of trading up this year, still on trading down so we can trade up next year.

We seem to be going back and forth on Taylor being a bridge QB.  He had a bad game and our offense got completely overwhelmed by Dallas defense early.  Its a clear indication that we have several holes on the offensive side of the ball and don't match up talent wise with them. 

So this is bigger then QB, and sounds about right considering we are overachieving during the early stages of what was supposed to be a top to bottom rebuild.  

Speaking for myself, I feel exactly the same way about the spot today than I did before yesterday.

The two throws where Heinicke under threw Terry, one of which contributed to a concussion, brought it home for me but those those throws fit my preconception versus creating a new perception.

Our O line is banged up.  We got our backup RT going in back to back games against arguably the two of the three best pass rushers in the NFL.    But overall our O line has been one of the better ones in the NFL.

Our defense has been top 10 ironically after the Sweat-Young injuries so its coming along.

We got a good roster.  IMO we need a FS, maybe a MLB, a RB, and WR.  I don't think we got a zillion needs.  We have won 4 out of the last 5 games playing with a roster on duct tape.  Imagine having a top QB with it?  Again it doesn't have to be an elite QB but a dude like Derrick Carr -- a 10-14 type of QB.  Heinicke has had moments and I'll give him more time before deciding definitively but I don't think he has a 10-14 type NFL arm and yeah it limits him IMO. 

• Like 2