Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

19 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Wilson = 3rd round pick

Brees = 2nd round pick

Bryce Young and Kyler Murray had elite college production which likely allowed them to overcome height concerns. 

So...

What does any of this matter?

People make things seem so important when in reality - they aren't. 6-1 is short but it's not QB Doomsday.

Do 3rd round picks and 2nd round picks not bust?

Very confused.

• Like 4

TH is also 6'1" but lacked arm strength. Be very glad we have a QB with extremely strong arm in Howell with really good accuracy to boot. Plus, we didn't have to wait a long time to get to that point either. A "shorter" QB can take an extra step back and see the whole field (like Russell Wilson used to do) and if they have really good arm and are accurate then height is a non-issue. It is a non-issue for me. 

@Koolblue13 finally a night and day difference. ;) 

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I guess NFL teams respect our receivers and Sam's arm more than 'joe public' and than national media!  LOL

Interesting.  Makes sense - the deep ball is Howell (and Terry’s) superpower.  Force Howell and the offense to be methodical instead, something young qbs often struggle with.  

My uneducated thoughts on this….

Means we need some combo of Howell to getting through his shorter reads quickly, the oline holding up in pass pro, the short game succeeding (move the chains consistently and picking up YAC), and a successful run game.  Bit of a mixed bag on those fronts. 

Howell’s holding the ball at times, but is also doing a pretty nice job of finding guys underneath.  

The oline is inconsistent in pass pro, and while Arizona either blitzed or showed blitz pretty often and Denver used 5 man fronts a good chunk of the time, both defenses got plenty of pressure with 4 man fronts.  Better fronts/defenses could be a big problem. 

The screen game is working pretty well, though there’s been a wide variance of success.  As far as I can tell, for the most part we aren’t getting much YAC out of non screen plays.

1st down runs have mostly been lacking success (IMO reducing the number of runs EB has called), but the ground game took off in the 2nd half against Denver, and they had success against both defenses with 2nd and medium/3rd and short runs. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MartinC said:

In 2 games Sam has just over 500 yards passing, but we don’t have a single receiver who has 100 yards cumulative over those two games. Terry leads receivers with 85 yards - but doesn’t have the most targets. 10 players have caught a pass.

The ball is being spread around. This is a good thing - it’s also another tick in the box for Sam, he’s not keying in one or two receivers and forcing the ball.

And it made history 🙂

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I guess NFL teams respect our receivers and Sam's arm more than 'joe public' and than national media!  LOL

Defenses so far seem to be playing guys back in coverage and hoping that rushing 4 will bring the pressure.

My main optimism for the season so far -- Sam and this D line.  i also loved how Robinson looked on Sunday.

My main points of pessimism so far -- pedestrian to bad D lines are getting pressure mostly with just 4 rushing -- imagine when they play an actual good D line?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HigSkin said:

We have got to get our run game on track.  But that does definitely speak to how defense's fear the speed of our receivers way more than they fear our run game. Gonna have to be patient and methodical with our offense until we can open up more space in the secondary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Missing Jets LMFAO made me laugh way too hard this early in the morning.

But yeah the question we have to ask is: what if we're living in a universe where Sam Howell is actually a top 10 QB???

He can absolutely be top ten in passing game production in this system and with this team around him.

Is Tua Tagavailoa a top ten QB?  Maybe not, but his production is.  Sam can get there.  We're as good as the Dolphins, and he's as good as Tua.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@Voice_of_Reason close your eyes.  this is Sam Monson, one of Galdi's favorite guests from PFF

Holy crap! I think he was the guy on the left and was a complete and total moron in the clip @MartinC posted.  His takeaway for the game was some tin foil hat theory about Sean Payton being screwed by the refs.  Talked about it for about 1/3 of the clip.  I didn’t really follow or understand it.  His colleague PFF_Steve actually asked him incredulously “that was your takeaway?  I have some other takeaways.” And then actually talked football.  Good on Steve. 

Steve was much more intelligent sounding but his stupid statement was sack rate doesn’t seem to change for a QB.  Which might be true, but a 3 game NFL sample size isn’t good enough to have a baseline.  For a veteran, makes sense.  For a new starter, not as much.  

And I get there are college numbers, but college numbers are just SO different I think you need at least a year of NFL stats to form a baseline to which to compare.  

Otherwise the Steve guy seemed to make sense.  The Sam guy came off as a raving lunatic. 

But I think I like him on Galdi.  

Again, this also isn’t a PFF rant.  Just what I heard.  I will look at this clip a little later.  

• Like 1

More consistency in the run game is going to be the key to bringing those safeties off the deep coverage.  Our run game has been inconsistent and although the sample size is small, there's been some stretches where EB doesn't run the ball much at all, however I will say that I do think EB sees the short passing game as an extension of the running game, especially early in games.  I am seeing a lot of instances where Sam drops back and throws these quick short passes that don't seem designed to do a whole other than make it 2nd & 5 (or less).  If the DBs are going to play 10 yards off of Terry, then we are going to see a lot more instances where Sam drops back and just feeds it to Terry to let him get an easy free 5+ yards.  There is no reason to stop doing that until Coordinators change that coverage.  We have seen those same passes made against our secondary for years and we would be yelling at the TV to get those DB's up closer to the line, so finally we are doing the same thing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Holy crap! I think he was the guy on the left and was a complete and total moron in the clip @MartinC posted.  His takeaway for the game was some tin foil hat theory about Sean Payton being screwed by the refs.  Talked about it for about 1/3 of the clip.  I didn’t really follow or understand it.  His colleague PFF_Steve actually asked him incredulously “that was your takeaway?  I have some other takeaways.” And then actually talked football.  Good on Steve. 

Steve was much more intelligent sounding but his stupid statement was sack rate doesn’t seem to change for a QB.  Which might be true, but a 3 game NFL sample size isn’t good enough to have a baseline.  For a veteran, makes sense.  For a new starter, not as much.  

And I get there are college numbers, but college numbers are just SO different I think you need at least a year of NFL stats to form a baseline to which to compare.  

Otherwise the Steve guy seemed to make sense.  The Sam guy came off as a raving lunatic. 

But I think I like him on Galdi.  

Again, this also isn’t a PFF rant.  Just what I heard.  I will look at this clip a little later.  

lol, OK I'll watch it later.

If I have a guy on PFF its Trevor Sikkema who I watch his videos routinely about the draft.

Monson is from Ireland.  He makes his share of appearances on Galdi and Sheehan.  He seems very homerish over the years at times about this team.

11 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He can absolutely be top ten in passing game production in this system and with this team around him.

Is Tua Tagavailoa a top ten QB?  Maybe not, but his production is.  Sam can get there.  We're as good as the Dolphins, and he's as good as Tua.

Howell ain't Tua and we're not as good as the Dolphins(at least on offense), but we're building something.

Fun fact: Howell is top 10 in QB fantasy points on NFL.com... nice to see especially before the bye weeks start muddying the waters.

He needs a fan club. Fans need to get over hoping for a Moooooose (which was just a nickname) to fall in our laps to have some game day cheering fun. I do hereby certify us all apart of Howell's Owls. Yell WHO WHO on great plays ok or someone come up with something better.  Why is it that European soccer players have songs but our football studs don't?  Our beloved sport is off the charts in popularity... maybe we are just lazy americans that want to be entertained but dammit look at Man City's Haaland song with 16M views. It'd be cool for someone to come up with something anything and pitch some ideas to Harris and Magic. Even Green Bays Let's Go Pack is better than nothing.

Fun Fact #2. It was our own Babe Laufenberg that coined Daryl Johnson MOOSE.

Edited by RandyHolt

11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Fun fact: Howell is top 10 in QB fantasy points on NFL.com... nice to see especially before the bye weeks start muddying the waters.

He needs a fan club. Fans need to get over hoping for a Moose to fall in our laps to have some game day cheering fun. I do hereby certify us all apart of Howell's Owls. Yell WHO WHO on great plays ok or someone come up with something better.  Why is it that European soccer players have songs but our football studs don't?  Our beloved sport is off the charts in popularity... maybe we are just lazy americans that want to be entertained but dammit look at Man City's Haaland song with 16M views. It'd be cool for someone to come up with something anything and pitch some ideas to Harris and Magic. Even Green Bays Let's Go Pack is better than nothing.

Howell has started both FF games for me so far.

That said

Howells Owls? Are you kidding me? The fans are already Howelling at games and we'll probably be the Redwolves next year anyway.

The NFL is writing this script perfectly for us.

Owls?  :ols: 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Howell has started both FF games for me so far.

That said

Howells Owls? Are you kidding me? The fans are already Howelling at games and we'll probably be the Redwolves next year anyway.

The NFL is writing this script perfectly for us.

Owls?  :ols: 

Hey I am just opening up the conversation here. 10 fans used to dress up as HOGs for cripes sake and were popular for decades.

Sadly I heard no Howelling week 1 - did you hear it on TV?  It may have been drowned out by fans incessantly yelling Redskins and F Dan in 453.  Apparently Redwolves was dead in the water but it is my #1 choice. But its not just about Howell, the teams marketing dept needs to do more than play Hail after scores. We need team/player cheers chants songs etc.

On a side note my Dobermutt howls when he hears sirens.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 1

I'm calling him slingin Sammy, screw it, it's been almost a hundred years.

Hardly anybody remembers number 33 and it can be a good tribute.

He's also on my fantasy team and my teams name is slingin Sammy Howell.

It's a great name and I get why people feel like it should be left to Baugh but I'm calling him that anyway. 

Did anybody else notice when he threw the touchdown to Terry the announcer sad Howell "slings" it into the endzone.

I loved it.

Bring back slingin Sammy to break the curse, it's poetic. 

Edited by redskinss

Just now, redskinss said:

I'm calling him slingin Sammy, screw it, it's been almost a hundred years.

Hardly anybody remembers number 33 and it can be a good tribute.

He's also on my fantasy team and my teams name is slingin Sammy Howell.

It's a great name and I get why people feel like it should be left to Baugh but I'm calling him that anyway. 

My team is the Howellin Redwolves and I'm in first place!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1