Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

42 minutes ago, Tay said:

I will tuning in. I want to hear directly from him if he had issues withTop Golf

Hopefully they don't bring any other guests on at the same time or Daniels might have a panic attack and run out of the interview.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Hopefully they don't bring any other guests on at the same time or Daniels might have a panic attack and run out of the interview.

Surprise!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Don't be ridiculous. He wouldn't say a word. 

His mom and his agent? Well.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, illone said:

Interesting numbers, but it doesn't separate RPO from non-RPO, which I'd categorize Daniels as an RPO player, wouldnt you?

Not really, he was much more efficient on scrambles than designed runs. Hugely so. 

29 minutes ago, illone said:

I think you HAVE to have RPO heavy scheme if you draft him.

We tried that experiment already.  Hard pass.

I don't think this is necessarily true. You don't have to design runs for Daniels because he's going to just pull his eyes down and run anyway once he's pressured.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Not really, he was much more efficient on scrambles than designed runs. Hugely so. 

Yeah that's the interesting thing watching him and seeing the numbers on this, too.

Great ad lib runner.  But the LSU designed runs were blown up a lot.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. You don't have to design runs for Daniels because he's going to just pull his eyes down and run anyway once he's pressured.

So you're saying the scheme will give him the Option to run or pass?

👀

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

Wouldn’t it be that way for most mobile QBs? Would think they’d do better with the DBs downfield and all. But I don’t know how those numbers look generally. That’s just what I would guess.

3 minutes ago, illone said:

So you're saying the scheme will give him the Option to run or pass?

👀

No, I'm saying that by default he usually runs as soon as he's pressured, so the defense will handle it all for you.

36 minutes ago, mistertim said:

They're gonna make Jayden compete in a cooking competition, see how he reacts to pressure...

image.png.189e366dc59cb39899ba9d1ab542bc36.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, DiscoBob said:

They're gonna make Jayden compete in a cooking competition, see how he reacts to pressure...

I mean, I know we're all making jokes about it, but if it's true that that whole thing really upset him, then if I were the GM it would be a red flag for me. Next to "Handles unexpected and novel situations with ease in a calm and collected manner" I'd put a big red X.

• Thumb up 1

49 minutes ago, illone said:

I think you HAVE to have RPO heavy scheme if you draft him.

We tried that experiment already.  Hard pass.

I know you're a JJ guy and I like a lot of what I saw too but I'm curious if you also saw the things that concern me as well.

I saw a guy who did so many really really good things in rhythm and made some beautiful passes but at the same time i couldn't shake two very nagging thoughts.

One, on most of his dropbacks he had the cleanest pockets I've ever seen, like absolutely perfect and he had an eternity to go through his reads and even when they did eventually break down it was one rusher coming free and he could pretty easily side step and move forward because the rest of the pocket was still perfect.

Now this obviously wasn't every play but way more often than not it was the case.

He absolutely deserves credit for finding an open receiver and moving well inside the pocket but I fear if he's not in a great system at the next level you may see a different quarterback. 

And two, Harbaughs system. He's a winner at every level and has a long history of having quarterback friendly systems, between the plethora of quick timing passes and the abundant and very strong running game he was put in a position where the game wasn't put on his shoulders, he never really had to carry the team just execute his job well, and he certainly did that.

Did you see any of that and does it concern you like it concerns me?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

McCarthy is the only one I would be disappointed with. He is the biggest risk in the draft at QB imo. There just isnt enough tape to make an accurate assessment of him. I even went back and watched his high school stuff to find more. I will trust Peters if he makes the pick. And I will get behind it. But i would actually prefer Nix to McCarthy.

I'm to the point where I will satisfied with any of the top QB's. Makes life easier :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah that's the interesting thing watching him and seeing the numbers on this, too.

Great ad lib runner.  But the LSU designed runs were blown up a lot.  

Which actually suits me just fine. He’s a good passer. His running ability will absolutely affect pass rush game plans, having a spy, situation dependent man vs zone etc. and we will kill teams multiple times a game on scrambles. 

I would prefer not to have apt of designed runs. 

Also, I’ve really come around on him. If, as it seems is true, most of the coaching and scouting community has Daniels at 2, by a sizable margin, am I really confident that I’m right and they are wrong?

I can’t wait until Thursday night and then, maybe just as much so, Friday!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Disturbing lack of adhesiveness to your projectile yeeting armament.

You can't thrash a dude in epic novella fashion then moonwalk it back 2 weeks later.

Chuckle.  I didn’t like his tape. I’m not taking that back.  I thought he had 1 A+ play. A whole lot of drek and quite a bit of bad.

But I’m not a professional.  So, so leave open the possibility I’m wrong.  

But to me the tape I watched was “blah” to “meh”

5 hours ago, Commander20180 said:

I'm really intrigued by McCarthy. I think he's the brightest of the bunch and extremely coachable. But I also have fears that he could be a colossal bust.

I think the key thing to him is that there just isn't the information necessary to justify a really high pick, in its own way, the bet on him is like the bet on Lance, the cv is not a top 5 cv, it is all 1000% projection, and then you look at the tape grinders/scouts and they all say, " why is this guy viewed as a top 5 guy, I wouldn't take him in the top 30," there's a billion takes like that.

So when I look at it, I completely acknowledge, he has some really interesting data, there are some points that suggest," damn, he's really, really freaking good at this," but again, there just aren't enough freaking throws, period, there just aren't, and part of it is that Harbaugh's lying, he let Luck throw far more than JJ, so there's no question he likes him as much as he suggests, and yet on the other hand, Stanford was never dominating like Michigan was last year either, so quite a bit of it was simply, Michigan was up by 4 TD's after 20 minutes and didn't need throws.....

So, with Daniels and Williams and Penix, and even Nix you have a gazillion throws, and with JJ you don't, so you have to decide whether you're willing to project on that lean a profile, and I just don't buy anyone's that stupid.

It's one thing to role the dice in a bad QB draft on a speculative guy like Danny Nickels (though not top 5), it's another thing to roll the dice in a top flight QB draft on a guy with such a blank cv, so.....taking him this high just strikes me as completely insane. Insane. 

Part of me thinks it makes zero sense, but I get that he might have it, he might, but top 2, top 3, top 4 in a class this top heavy in superstar level QB, WR, OT prospects? It's just moronic. It just is, but it may happen anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

The draft can’t get here fast enough. 

That’s said we then have to deal with the predictable melt downs of some posters if ‘their’ guy isn’t the pick. 

Sigh. 

I highly doubt there will be a melt down. Looks like almost everyone is okay with either Daniels or Maye with McCarthy being the outlier. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

One, on most of his dropbacks he had the cleanest pockets I've ever seen, like absolutely perfect and he had an eternity to go through his reads and even when they did eventually break down it was one rusher coming free and he could pretty easily side step and move forward because the rest of the pocket was still perfect.

The offensive line was definitely one of the most dominant in the league last year, but was more optimized to running the ball. He faced plenty of pressures and dirty pockets. Probably less of that than say Drake who probably faced the most dirty pockets of the qbs in our range.  Not sure the exact numbers, I’ll see if I can track down “pressures” for each player.  LSU had a dominant oline too but their players were coached more towards RPO style plays. 

I wouldn’t call JJs pocket “perfect” though. He moved around and created throwing lanes often. In the penn state game they could not block chop Robinson so they simply abandoned the pass all together and handed it off 30x in a row. 

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

And two, Harbaughs system. He's a winner at every level and has a long history of having quarterback friendly systems, between the plethora of quick timing passes and the abundant and very strong running game he was put in a position where the game wasn't put on his shoulders, he never really had to carry the team just execute his job well, and he certainly did that.

If we are going to give Harbaugh the credit then why is JJ the only QB to take Mich to the playoffs?

Moreover, Michigan didn’t win a bowl game until JJ...

I think ultimately JJ makes some of this stuff look easy. After watching him all year I finally just came to the conclusion that he is playing quarterback at a high level. 

There are always concerns with any player, but with a guy like JJ you are drafting a football junkie. A high character kid that will study his ass off and lead the team forward. You won’t have to worry about off field issues. He’ll be the first guy in the building and last guy to leave. He was quoted as telling players looking to party to avoid signing with Michigan football. That’s a mature move IMO. he is the culture changer type player that this team and city have been yearning after for decades. 

My 2¢ anyways. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Wouldn’t it be that way for most mobile QBs? Would think they’d do better with the DBs downfield and all. But I don’t know how those numbers look generally. That’s just what I would guess.

Efficiency-wise, usually. But I’m talking about when you watch his cut-ups, he’s just not as good/comfortable on designed runs as you’d expect imo. SIP has mentioned it also  

Just now, mistertim said:

i love how so many people assume they know exactly what Kingsbury wants or thinks about these QBs, as if he's even said a single word to anyone about it outside of GMAP and DQ.

Exactly. 

I also hear a lot of talking heads suggest he would want a “kyler Murray” type QB...

why?

Kyler was injured for the final two seasons of Kingsbury’s run in AZ. Why would he want that again?

• Thumb up 1

@CommanderInTheRye actually on Sheehan's podcast Sheehan posed the question directly to Keim, Sheehan goes aside from Daniels he mentioned McCarthy more than Maye on his podcast so does he think its McCarthy over Maye on their draft board or something like that.

Keim said for example if they don't draft Daniels and they take McCarthy instead, he'd get it so that prompted the question from Sheehan.

So Sheehan asked Keim if I would tell you Daniels wasn't the pick and they took a QB at 2, would you predict that QB to be McCarthy.  Keim goes "probably yes".  And then says if their order included McCarthy over Maye it wouldn't surprise him at all.

But he also as usually couched it as he doesn't know anything for sure.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I have a translator program permanently installed in my brain until draft day. It takes as input any words that any sports reporter, draftnick, or social media football analyst says and simply outputs "I don't know" in place of all the other words.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1