Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I've been out of this thread for what feels like a month, but every few days I accidentally click on the thread, the page count has gone up by about 20.

Has everyone settled on which QB is the second best in the draft and how JJ McCarthy managed to topple Caleb Williams out of his number 1 spot?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If folks have some time to spare, this is a great listen from Belichick on Pat MacAfee discussing the draft. Nothing jaw-dropped but some cool insights on how teams put together their draft boards, at what point you can grade a draft pick (spoiler alert: "we grade for Year 2, which may or may not be their actual 2nd year in the league"), some of the thought process behind Top 30 visits, etc.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, illone said:

JJ island is real nice this time of year. 

plenty of room for any JD holdouts 🤣

My question is if they do really like him do they still feel he’s too much of a reach at #2 or is it a **** it take our guy scenario

For all this endless arguing and analysis between maye and daniels for the past few months to end in mccarthy would be hilarious

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves

It’s officially over when Shefter tweets about it in the next 12 hours. 

So does May 10 become a thing starting this year or do we wait until we win the Super Bowl to give it the Star Wars May 4th treatment?

26 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

My question is if they do really like him do they still feel he’s too much of a reach at #2 or is it a **** it take our guy scenario

Me personally I stick and pick because I suspect other teams might have him graded high. 

One of the blind spots with "Armchair GM'ing" is that we don't get to be involved in the interview process...

That's the most important part.

In listening to Bellichick McAfee video above, even BB mentions that the draft is about so much more than the game tape. As fans we only get one small piece to a much larger puzzle. 

If I am looking closely at a player and I'm blown away by the talent, leadership, scheme fit, great attitude and intangibles are off the charts..? 

Certainly other teams will make note of the same thing...

In this case, I doubt JJ lasts beyond pick #4, so the only way to really orchestrate a trade back is with the Pats or Cards. This doesn't seem feasible unless another team gets involved.  I posted a moon shot 3-team trade a few weeks ago that netted the Skins #4 and a bunch of extra picks. Completely dreamland wacko world, but at the same time crazier things have happened.

If Blake Bortles can be the 3rd pick in the draft, ANYONE can.

Apparently the Giants have been putting in work on the QB position so you can't risk them getting involved at 6 or maybe they even try to trade up if one of these guys starts falling. I mean are they really banking on Daniel Jones?  I dont think so...

Unless you can GUARANTEE the #3 or #4 slot, I think you just draft your guy right there at #2.

Keep in mind, draft position only matters if you suck. If the guy is graded high and you trust your process, is there really a huge difference between #2 and #4?

I have to assume most teams draft for long term football success, not so fans and talking media heads can grade their draft "A". I mean didn't most fans here grade the Chase Young pick  "A" in the moment? Most media did too. I dont want an "A" tomorrow, I want an "A+" ten years from now, especially at QB.

26 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

For all this endless arguing and analysis between maye and daniels for the past few months to end in mccarthy would be hilarious

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I’m in the parking lot at my gym about to do some hill intervals followed by an lsd (long slow day) workout on the treadmill and as I was setting up the motivational videos I’m gonna watch while power walking I ran across this new baby.

Haven’t watched a second of it, but I think I heard or read someone saying it’s a good video.

If it’s a waste of your time stop watching and downvote or cuss out my lazy old ass for being so inconsiderate— I’ll take it like a man, but if you get something out of it, please share the love if it isn’t too much trouble.

Anyways…

Why the Eff can't Jay slow down and talk at normal speed. He always sounds like a chipmunk on a coke-bender. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

That's gotta be one hell of an offer to move from 13 to 3. The Niners gave up three 1sts+ to move from 12 to 3. I'd guess the Pats would want even more.

If Pats trade down, they likely aren’t drafting a qb and riding with Brissett for 24.

11 hours ago, Hooper said:

The RG3 Daniels comparisons are annoying.

Daniels has shown he can go through his reads and throw with anticipation -- best in his class according to many.

RG3 pretty much never showed he could do that. In Kyle's offense he was great if his first read was open. After that, especially once the league caught on, it was not good. 

Daniels' arm never looked this awesome on his best day! He's nowhere close to Griffin's arm. But that's not even what I have an issue about. When I compare Daniels to RGIII, I am STRICTLY talking about the dual-threat running QB taking hits because they choose to leave the pocket as a runner. In 2012 we only played 16 games in regular season, and at least 7 games, RGIII took a MAJOR hit as a runner. The Ravens game, Panthers, Giants, Falcons, Saints, Rams and Bucks He was friggin pummeled. Sometimes he got up, and sometimes he didn't. Ironically, the injury that finished him, was him reacting to a bad snap in the seachickens wild-card game.

My point about Jaden...and it's ALWAYS BEEN my point about Jaden, is that he's just as reckless as RGIII, if not more-so, to leave the relative safety of the pocket and venture out past the line of scrimmage as a runner, on his own, with no blockers. That alone is DREAD to a fan like myself. Now add in that he's 2 inches taller and 15 pounds lighter......DO THE MATH!!!  And for the Ra Ra Ra cheerleaders who always follow a 'mean-spirited' post like mine with the obligatory 'well, he hasn't been hurt yet' (I like Jaden, so I wouldn't be a jerk and jynx him), lets just say that he's mortal. 

• Thumb up 2

So have we basically used Daniels to create a smokescreen, give him the special treatment when really it’s Maye all along ? Is that what’s going on, perhaps getting NE to bite on a little trade up to #2 for Daniels, just to be sure they get their guy ?

I know this sounds like a bit of a conspiracy theory and maybe there is nothing to it or good alternative explanations but I find it interesting that this JD is/should be a lock at #2 is being pushed by a lot of ESPN people (Kiper, Yates, Orlovsky, Schefter, etc.). Maybe it's a misconception but to me it feels like reporters from other outlets (e.g. Athletic or NFL Network) are much more careful in their wording with regards to the #2 pick even if they think JD will or should be the pick.

Reasons could be that the ESPN people are simply better plugged in with us or just in general. But it also does not seem so far fetched to think that they are promoting Daniels because he is the starboy of the SEC (consciously or unconsciously). They make it known how hard the competition was that he faced over there and how incredible he is while ****ting on Maye's competition in the ACC. None of that is untrue but it's still noteworthy how much they seem to push for that. Kiper got really angry in that video about how JD might not be a lock to the Commanders anymore. Like 3-4 weeks he had both on par and as a coinflip and now he is so invested in JD at #2...

Daniel Jeremiah talked about this weird reporting here at 7:40. That there is a huge narrative out there about who we (it's pretty evident he is talking about us without saying our name) apparently pick when the decision makers haven't even decided yet (and he insinuates that he talked to Peters recently). I feel like a lot of that is coming from ESPN-affiliated people. Interestingly, Jeremiah is one of the people who still has us taking Maye.

Maybe it's nothing, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This I would buy.  

But in that instance they wouldn’t have to say anything.  

I just don’t think they told him beans.  Or even led him to believe one way or the other.  If he felt it, fine.  

His agent is a boob though for being petty on social media.  

And Florio should be banned for having the intelligence of a dead aardvark. 

I think you’re taking my “they told him it wasn’t him” a bit too literal. 

Again, there are many, many ways to say that without walking up to the guy and saying, “hey bro, it ain’t you. And eat a sandwich.”

5 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

"We'd like to introduce you to KDawg"

Lots of ways to let a guy know you don't like him.

Exactly.

Edited by KDawg

Just now, KDawg said:

I think you’re taking my “they told him

it wasn’t him” a bit too literal. 

Again, there are many, many ways to say that without walking up to the guy and saying, “hey bro, it ain’t you. And eat a sandwich.”

But I think it's just super unlikely they even were at that point yesterday. They let everyone know how highly they value these meetings before they happened and every credible source said they are not settled yet (while potentially leaning JD). How likely is it that they all knew their decision during that meeting already? Much more likely that they will take some time to digest and meet as a group to reflect on what happened and what to make of it.

I think the most logical explanation is 1) JD had the feeling it did not go well or 2) JD and his team did not like the way this was setup in the first place. But since the agent did that after it took place I think reason 1 is the most likely. What that means...who knows. But I don't think the team told them anything.

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

But I think it's just super unlikely they even were at that point yesterday. They let everyone know how highly they value these meetings before they happened and every credible source said they are not settled yet (while potentially leaning JD). How likely is it that they all knew their decision during that meeting already? Much more likely that they will take some time to digest and meet as a group to reflect on what happened and what to make of it.

I think the most logical explanation is 1) JD had the feeling it did not go well or 2) JD and his team did not like the way this was setup in the first place. But since the agent did that after it took place I think reason 1 is the most likely. What that means...who knows. But I don't think the team told them anything.

Feeling like it didn’t go well would be a way of telling someone, too. Just kind of a bit less friendly demeanor or whatever the case may be.

I’m defending this statement like I care, and I really don’t. Just that there are many ways of communication and verbal isn’t the only one. And neither is “direct”.

But quite frankly I don’t particularly care if they did or didn’t tell him. 

My read is that they know something. And are getting ahead of it.

Heck, it could have been Daniels camp telling them he doesn’t want to come here. Or Maye’s agent whispering in Jayden’s agent’s ear. Or Dan Quinn smiled a bit too brightly at Maye.

Or none of it and this agent is having a last second melt down. But that doesn’t make much sense.

• Like 1

Or... this is a smokescreen by all parties and Daniels is the guy. Who knows. Lying season. The 12 hours before the draft is when we start to get real info from teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

I know this sounds like a bit of a conspiracy theory and maybe there is nothing to it or good alternative explanations but I find it interesting that this JD is/should be a lock at #2 is being pushed by a lot of ESPN people (Kiper, Yates, Orlovsky, Schefter, etc.). Maybe it's a misconception but to me it feels like reporters from other outlets (e.g. Athletic or NFL Network) are much more careful in their wording with regards to the #2 pick even if they think JD will or should be the pick.

Reasons could be that the ESPN people are simply better plugged in with us or just in general. But it also does not seem so far fetched to think that they are promoting Daniels because he is the starboy of the SEC (consciously or unconsciously). They make it known how hard the competition was that he faced over there and how incredible he is while ****ting on Maye's competition in the ACC. None of that is untrue but it's still noteworthy how much they seem to push for that. Kiper got really angry in that video about how JD might not be a lock to the Commanders anymore. Like 3-4 weeks he had both on par and as a coinflip and now he is so invested in JD at #2...

Daniel Jeremiah talked about this weird reporting here at 7:40. That there is a huge narrative out there about who we (it's pretty evident he is talking about us without saying our name) apparently pick when the decision makers haven't even decided yet (and he insinuates that he talked to Peters recently). I feel like a lot of that is coming from ESPN-affiliated people. Interestingly, Jeremiah is one of the people who still has us taking Maye.

Maybe it's nothing, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

I listen to just about every Kiper podcast, watch and consume sometimes hours every day just draft talk-gossip.  I saw the segment the other day with ESPN posted here, he didn't seem angry.  Is there a new one?  It's odd for him to snap on that subject considering he's high on Maye.  But agree if all of a sudden he gets angry on the subject that's a weird turn for him because I've seen him say before as recent as this week a variation of its different strokes for different folks at QB.

But at least previously before Kiper I guess very uncharastically snapped? I never got the sense that these guys are angry about it should be Daniels with some exceptions like Chris Simms who comes off like a clown on the subject as I've mentioned.

There are some who track who goes to whom in mocks, aggregate all the data, and Maye is still a more popular choice at #2 to this team than Daneils but its close.

And iits definitely more than just ESPN guys that prefer Daniels.  And some ESPN guys like Jason Reid prefer Maye and gals like Mia Kimes.   In the ESPN article the other day they had an agent pick Maye at #2 to this team.

Just like the Athletic are not all into Maye.  Randy Mueller works for the Athletic and blasted Maye even worse than Chris Simms.  It was the Athletic that posted an article during the combine that surveying front office people more like Daniels so they think Washington might take Daniels.

Field Yates from ESPN who maybe is the biggest Daniels fanboy and has been that way pretty early is really high on Maye too and likes to say whomever gets Maye isn't getting a consolation prize, because he's good too.

I don't find any of these guys saying they know who Washington will take.    The closest to being that definitive with Peter Schrager and even he couched it and said he's close with Kingsbury but Kingsbury hasn't told him a word.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If Pats trade down, they likely aren’t drafting a qb and riding with Brissett for 24.

Brissett and Zappe can get you through a year but it's not what a new regime really wants to build around.

I could see them think they'd rather add draft capital and still draft a Penix or Nix if they like them enough. They would not need to start this year especially early on.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ok the Vikes scheduling a dinner at this hour is indeed juicy news! 

Scheduled last week

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-private-workout-scheduled-jayden-daniels

"It's unclear why it took this long, but the Vikings finally have a private workout scheduled with LSU quarterback and reigning Heisman winner Jayden Daniels, as Ian Rapaport of NFL Network first reported. It'll take place next Thursday in Louisiana, according to KSTP's Darren Wolfson."

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ok the Vikes scheduling a dinner at this hour is indeed juicy news! 

They and the Giants have been all over all three QBs including this week.  I am guessing those teams will be trying like mad to trade up on draft day.

Sheehan speculated that both this team and NE met with Penix this week on the off chance they get an insane offer they can't refuse and if so how good is Penix as the backup plan.

But who knows?

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The Vikings will be offering #11, #23 and a 2025 first IMO.

The downside to that for some teams is it likely takes you out of the Harrison, Nabers, Odunze game.  For the Giants #6 pick they are still in play.

Edited by Skinsinparadise