Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I also think the idea that a QB whose game is mostly cerebral can’t control himself when under pressure and is just destined to always run. That it’s impossible to fix. You can literally see him think through everything he sees but he’s too dumb or too instinctual stop running to prolong his career. Come on lol

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I also think the idea that a QB whose game is mostly cerebral can’t control himself when under pressure and is just destined to always run. That it’s impossible to fix. You can literally see him think through everything he sees but he’s too dumb or too instinctual stop running to prolong his career. Come on lol

Of course I'm not saying he's dumb. But it seems instinctual. When you watch the tape you can see him, when pressured, often almost immediately pull his eyes down and look to run vs buy time and throw off platform, and the numbers show this as well. Was he coached to do that? Possibly. Does that make the habit any harder to break? Who knows. But until he does break it, I fear he may get broken in half first by a hit in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The reason for Maye to sit is his mechanics. You fix bad footwork and inconsistent throw mechanics with drills and repetition. That's a lot harder to do if you're spending 60 hours a week devouring the game plan and tape of the opponent. 

And a player is likely to lapse back into those bad mechanics if they haven't much time to change them and they're trying to win a game. You need time to unlearn what you were doing wrong and have the new process become second nature. 

Daniels' issues are the types that either are unlikely to be corrected or can be worked on with experience. 

I'm as much Maye over Daniels as anyone but I'd want Maye sitting and working on his footwork for at least half a season. The only reason I'd sit Daniels (apart from just him looking bad) is if I thought the OLine needed work or it'd get any QB killed and so I'd sit him to protect him. 

I agree 100%. I’m fine if the pick is Maye, he has some amazing traits. But whatever it is that’s causing him to struggle with the easy ones and caused him to struggle pretty bad when he played better defenses needs to be fixed before he starts.

The casual fan is not going to be very understanding if he comes out playing like he did against NC State and Clemson, missing on easy throws and barely completing half of his passes. Most people watching don’t even know what pressure2sack rate is, or throwing with anticipation, or any of the other advance metrics. Most fans know TDS, ints, completion%, wins and losses.

People will be ok with sacks and losses with a young qb, we learned that last year with Sam Howell, he didn’t start getting disliked until the completion % went down and the amount of picks went up. but they will not be ok with someone that’s missing open guys on easy throws that they feel they can make themselves, and Maye has more of those than any highly touted qb coming out that I’ve seen. The media will end up blowing things out of proportion if that starts to happen, pandering to the casual fan, trying to rouse up negativity and bring up their personal ratings. People will get down on him quickly and the media will help to push them, especially if Jayden and or JJ and or Caleb is playing better than he is. Stroud set a bar last season and now every rookie will be measured against it, at least for the foreseeable future, so if a young qb is playing, fans will expect them to play well.

There is also the UNC tie to Sam that presents us with a possible negative media narrative if he struggles as well. The fan base gave Sam the benefit of the doubt up until the very end and I don’t see it happening twice in a row with back 2 back UNC QBs. Especially with Maye struggling with some of the same issues, drifting into sacks and holding the ball to long. If he comes out struggling with those same issues, the media will jump on it, especially with the UNC connection there.

There is also the fact that most media represents Jayden as the #2 pick now, (not all, but it is at least a majority now), and they will be all to happy to run “I told you so’s” on every sports talk show out there, it stinks, but that’s just the way modern sports media is these days. If Maye struggles early, the national media will work to turn the fanbase against him.

Jayden has his wheels to lean on if he is a subpar passer and the media will give him the benefit of the doubt because of it, just like they did with Fields, he would have to be abysmal for the media and the fans to turn on him early. Caleb is a media darling and has already been hailed the next Mahomes and he will be the #1 pick so with just that alone, nobody will throw the bust label at him for at least a year. That leaves Maye, if he comes out playing poorly the media will be looking to start throwing the bust label on him because they need something negative to talk about to drive their own ratings. This will in turn, turn the casual fan against him because they are less likely to understand the process of developing a qb.

This is why I think if he is the choice, let him sit and get those things corrected that most people see as an issue for him. He is young and he has plenty of prime years ahead of him. The last thing we need is him coming out with the same innacuracy and consistency issues that the media has and will be talking about until the start of the season. Give him every thing he needs to succeed early without having to face to much negativity or adversity early on. And then when they feel he is ready to perform at the level that they want day in and day out then send him out there and let him cook, whether it’s day one or week 1 next year, just make sure he is ready to play at a high level and succeed 1st.

Apparently Jayden Daniels’ agent liked a tweet criticizing the Commanders visit format (multiple players together for visit). Could be nothing, could be that Jayden didn’t like how visit went.

It would be strange for his agent to criticize the team that is going to draft him…

IMG_0837.png

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

Apparently Jayden Daniel’s agent liked a tweet criticizing the Commanders visit format (Top golf). Could be nothing, could be that Jayden didn’t like how visit went.

It would be strange for his agent to criticize the team that is going to draft him…

I posted the tweet but seems like my comment got deleted 

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

Apparently Jayden Daniel’s agent liked a tweet criticizing the Commanders visit format (Top golf). Could be nothing, could be that Jayden didn’t like how visit went.

I just saw this and… quite frankly… it makes me want Daniels less.

And this is exactly why you have all of those guys visit at the same time. To see if anyone is dumb enough to do something stupid or if their reps will do or say something stupid.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Drake Maye is the man. Whether Adam Peters picks him or not is irrelevant. What matters is we all know that if the judges of the Ivy League Parliamentary Debate Championship were making the pick, it would be Maye because I’ve straight up cleaned everybody’s clock in here.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

If Daniels came out at Lamar’s age, he would probably have been a 5th rd pick. Same as what Peters supposedly told him.

You take out 2023 and Jayden is still a 4th or 5th rounder. Having a single good year as a 5 year player is suspect.

Dude is a guaranteed bust in the making. All the red flags are there. 1 year wonder. Problems in the locker room at ASU. Aloof and self centered in his interviews always about him instead of the team. Toothpick frame that will never last a full NFL season. It’s not only wasting the second overall pick on him it’s the 2 to 4 years of wasted time before we trade the sunk cost. Should have kept Howell if this was the direction Peters is taking. 

I would hate the pick. Peters was executive that I wanted this past offseason. Really excited what we did in free agency, but taking Daniels would lower my opinion of him. Heard Sheehan on 980 the other day saying any QB can get hurt. Sure they can but Daniels does not protect himself and I saw some of the hits he took running. Eventually the physicality will do him in. He looked like a rail walking in the airport last night.

I didn’t want Chase Young in 2020 and my pick would have been Herbert. I watched his games and knew Herbert had no receivers just like Maye. His best receiver Johnny Johnson is on a future reserves contract and he likely has no career in the NFL.

Chase could not handle the better tackles in college. His last game against Clemson was the kicker for me. He had no answer for Jackson Carman and the DC had to move him around to try and get pressure.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Apparently Jayden Daniels’ agent liked a tweet criticizing the Commanders visit format (multiple players together for visit). Could be nothing, could be that Jayden didn’t like how visit went.

IMG_0837.png

This might be why Peters and Co. brought them together to see was a "We" or "Me" player.  :)  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Of course I'm not saying he's dumb. But it seems instinctual. When you watch the tape you can see him, when pressured, often almost immediately pull his eyes down and look to run vs buy time and throw off platform, and the numbers show this as well. Was he coached to do that? Possibly. Does that make the habit any harder to break? Who knows. But until he does break it, I fear he may get broken in half first by a hit in the NFL.

I don’t think that’s a good reason to miss out on a possibly elite prospect. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I just saw this and… quite frankly… it makes me want Daniels less.

And this is exactly why you have all of those guys visit at the same time. To see if anyone is dumb enough to do something stupid or if their reps will do or say something stupid.

Right. Cause his dumb agent is going to be working with you, too. And as much as I want to believe it’s nothing, his mom AND his agent make a pattern of jerks and weirdos around him. That I don’t like. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

IMG_0837.png

He’s a diva. His mom is a diva and his agent is a diva. Hard pass. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I think the simple answer, the one that has been smacking us upside the head this whole time, is that Jayden Daniels is a cornball.

You HAVE to question the character of someone who surrounds themselves with questionable characters. 

Also have you seen him dance? 🌽 🏈 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, mistertim said:

Either Daniels may not want to go to the Commanders or his agent is incredibly dense. That's just a straight up dumb thing to do on social media. 

A week before the draft lol. 

Gonna say he was hacked tho. I would bet many dollars. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Either Daniels may not want to go to the Commanders or his agent is incredibly dense. That's just a straight up dumb thing to do on social media. 

Daniels probably read this thread called his mom crying and his mom demanded his agent do something to protect her baby from this fanbase. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I think the simple answer, the one that has been smacking us upside the head this whole time, is that Jayden Daniels is a cornball.

We got him.  We bleepin got him!

• Thanks 1

I don’t want to make too much of this but some thoughts:

1. Agent posting that is unprofessional as it could be prejudicial for his client to the future employer. No one wants to hear that their process is stupid.

2. Totally possible this is coming from agent alone, HOWEVER- doubtful he posts this if Jayden said, “I loved top golf, hanging with other players, and my interviews went phenomenally.”

3. Assuming Agent’s like isn’t on his own, and that it’s parroting Jayden we can assume either Jayden didn’t like the format, didn’t feel as if he did well, or isn’t excited about idea of going to Washington.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

A week before the draft lol. 

Gonna say he was hacked tho. I would bet many dollars. 

It’s just like he is trying to be RG3 and make those comparisons a reality. 

Family and/or reps being a bit too publicly opinionated? Check.

Running QB who excels at throwing the deep ball? Check.

Frail frame? Check. 

Yes, everyone, Daniels is probably a better prospect than RG3, though I’m not totally sold on that. But he is doing everything he can to make sure he’s compared to him.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Jayden's drive didn't make it past the ladies tees, so the other player made him.... you know....

• Haha 2