Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I didn’t say he was going to get a year. I just think he needs one (at least).

The narrative seems to be that Daniels is ready to start and Drake Maye needs a year to develop but to me, Maye is the more complete quarterback. Maybe you can get away with starting Jayden and just do easy stuff and hope that him being fast can compensate 🤷‍♂️. He’s not going to play quarterback in year one better than Drake Maye is though.

Interesting. I thought the consensus among league people, even those who prefer Maye, is that Daniels is a much better processor at this stage and definitely more ready to play. 

• Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd assume hes a college freshman lol

lol

But does he look too small to be a qb to you?

The reason I really want to know is because he doesn't look too small to me, but at one time he did seem small for a qb when I looked at him.

So I'm wondering if I may have lost my objectivity because I now am committed to him as my first choice.

This actually disturbs me because I was once known for being objective and fair on controversial issues when most people wouldn't be able to stay impartial.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

lol

The reason I really want to know is because he doesn't look to small to me, but at one time he did seem small fir a qb.

So I'm wondering if I may have lost my objectivity because I now am committed to him as my first choice.

This actually disturbs me because I was once known for being objective and fair on issues mist people wouldn't be able to be.

Oh I can guarantee you the folks opposing your take here aren't being fair and objective either.  The truth, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

lol

The reason I really want to know is because he doesn't look to small to me, but at one time he did seem small fir a qb.

This actually disturbs me because I was once known for being objective and fair on issues mist people wouldn't be able to be.

Still shots of guys in tshirt and shorts doesn't say much.

When I watch Daniels play in actual live games, yes he looks very thin and slight relative to his peers. And that will only be magnified in the NFL.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Conn said:

Interesting. BugundyBlog guy is not an insider, just a blogger, but he strongly thinks it’s Maye (again, just his opinion) 

I watched Kiper, Schefter, about the QBs last night, they thought likely Daniels.  But none of them, not even Schefter are citing it sourced to this team. Schrager sort of hinted the other day he might have a source with the team but he was vague.

But regardless, we've been hearing that these vists will be privotal for months.  Some in the national media especially those that are Daniels people ala Simms below don't get why they need to meet everyone and that it should be Daniels all the way.  Comes off arrogant to me.

Ditto the segment that Burgundy blog attached, all that segment was involved talking heads wondering if because this team is still meeting with all these QBs that they are undecided versus locked in on Daniels.  Yeah of course they haven't made a decision yet otherwise why bother meeting everyone?  Am surprised they are surprised though that they are still digesting this. 

Am still 50-50 that it could be either one.  If you put a gun to my head and forced me to guess, I'd guess Daniels.  But that's pure gut not information based.  If I had to bet on one thing right now its that it won't be McCarthy -- but now that I put that out there, lol that will become the pick.  As to McCarthy judging purely by scuttlebutt he seems to be sliding now past the other two.  Both Schefter and Breer said in serperate segements that it feels to them from their conversations that Maye is solid at #3 and ahead of McCarthy.

But clearly some have Maye at #2, too.  The mystery is -- is this team one of those teams that have Maye at #2?  None of us know of course.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Still shots of guys in tshirt and shorts doesn't say much.

When I watch Daniels play in actual live games, yes he looks very thin and slight relative to his peers. And that will only be magnified in the NFL.

Much like Bryce Young's short stature looked worse in the NFL.

As an ectomorph myself, Daniels definitely could still fill out a bit. And his legs look sturdy enough.

Who the hell knows? I was talking a buddy of mine who lives in Chapel Hill and he was adamant that Maye is a total project who will get his first coach fired. Then again, he's an Eagles fan. 

There is nothing wrong with what the team is doing. Gather as much info as possible.  I like the unconventional aspect of it all. Innovate, change. Or should we go back to Danny drafting a QB because his son went to HS with him? Or Riverboat "watching the analytics of Wentz"?

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Interesting. I thought the consensus among league people, even those who prefer Maye, is that Daniels is a much better processor at this stage and definitely more ready to play. 

I don’t see it. Maybe he is a better processor when everything is perfect (but I don’t necessarily concede that). Maybe he is an 85 in Madden when everything is great and Maye is an 80 when everything is great. But when stuff starts to break down, Drake’s passing game is a 65 overall and Daniels is a 40.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

9 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Screenshot_20240417_145718_Chrome.jpg.c6029c1a3168700e1b5b2599a9fda765.jpg

Serious question: If you didn't know who this was and you were just seeing him for the first time and you were told he's a quarterback would you honestly think that he looks too small to play the position?

I commented on this in real time back then.  He looked beefed up.

What gives me some hope is his shoulders look broader than before.  When people talk about frame shoulders are usually front and center.  So maybe he has a trainer working with him on it.

Before anyone here kills me for saying this.  I got no idea if it holds but I did like that he looked broader at his proday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

There's one guy I know in the town I'm visiting  who is a Commanders fan. He's really wrapped in the fear blanket from bad juju permeating this franchise for so many years.

He's all thumbs up about the new f.o. and does fit in the group that likes Daniels or Maye over the others at #2 and thinks they're both strong choices, intellectually.

But emotionally he's swamped by a fearful belief that JD will not physically last 4-5 years and the Pats (he's a hater) will pick Maye and in their second year with him will be back to deep playoff runs and championships for years.

When I watch him discussing it I can actually see the fear. Much of this fan base is somewhat traumatized. 😬

Whoever we pick, these new guys better save what's left of us. 😄

It would be very interesting to know how many of us would feel about JD if we hadn't shared in the RG3 Experience. That whole phase of our life seems to be the main culprit of why we're so nervous...

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I enjoyed it. Ran track in high school, though soccer and football were my better sports (injuries ruined me for both though I've started to get back into soccer as a coach, football is way back in the past). 

You would have smoked me so thoroughly lol, though in fairness, I was the opposite, I ran on both relay teams, but was better at the 400, which required endurance and speed, rather than top end acceleration. For some reason I just liked the pain of the 400, to get more personal, it was such a thoroughly painful run, it felt so mental, to push through the agony in the final 100 to try and hold off a challenger or catch someone ahead of you, especially in relays, was just something I thrived on and loved. That phrase beautiful agony, or something like that captures it. I nearly passed out after one race, and was so angry at not catching someone as the anchor at a race at Woodside High School back in '91, I hit my thigh so hard with the baton the bruise stayed there forever. A lot of great memories. Its funny how sense memory works. Sometimes when the wind hits my ears in the right way, I'm transported to the mid eighties, standing in the batters box with my helmet on in little league, the air whispering its way through those ear holes in 80's era batting helmets, with track it was the feel of running into the wind at PAL's and CCS tournaments spring sunshine, 75-85 degrees, blue skies (that was just life in the bay), fresh grass, the scent of jasmine.....the blocks, the blocks stick out, but so does the cold metal of the baton and the pass, and the intense training for our relay teams before we would go to CCS in particular. So many good memories with it. My kid so far is not into baseball at all, my wife bans football (and why wouldn't she after the damage it did to my knee and left foot, let alone head injury issues) but our son has definitely taken to Tae Kwon Do and Soccer so far. Looks like baseball is going to fade away though I hope I can get him to play long enough to be competent in it at hitting, and fielding and throwing as its so much a part of growing up, at least in the past, and it appears my kid is faster than me, which is great (I was pretty fast, but my brother inherited my uncle's speed rather than me (he was a near Olympic level hurdler back in the 60s). 

That's cool.  I hate that winded, out of breath, feeling that I'd feel when I push it to one lap or beyond on the track when running hard.  Even now when I jog I don't like to run fast long distance.  But sprints I enjoy and still do.

My kids is going to try out for football.  He's faster than the current version of me.  I don't think he's faster than I was at his age.   

It's funny you mention the 80s.  When I jog in the morning, am usually either listening to a Keim podcast or some sort of 80s playlist. 

The RG3 Daniels comparisons are annoying.

Daniels has shown he can go through his reads and throw with anticipation -- best in his class according to many.

RG3 pretty much never showed he could do that. In Kyle's offense he was great if his first read was open. After that, especially once the league caught on, it was not good. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Captain James said:

It would be very interesting to know how many of us would feel about JD if we hadn't shared in the RG3 Experience. That whole phase of our life seems to be the main culprit of why we're so nervous...

Yes, it is that old deep injury that has not healed.

Much like Lancelot's self-inflicted injury in the mythical days of Camelot. 

The only question is will this unhealed wound prove to be our fatal undoing.

image.png.70cfee17ae7e70f88dde4f7301c655ee.png

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Captain James said:

I think that's part of it.

Feels to me with some they already have that predispostion in their head while watching the player.  And from my experiences watching a player, if i start with a negative filter, I'll see the negative more.  And we all lived the RG3 experience vividly.

Confirmation bias is human nature.  

Sometimes I'd watch a player and not dig them.  Then hearing some mock drafters hype that same player will only harden my negativity.  Then I'll rewatch them and I'll do it with that same negative lense and in turn of course I'll double down on my negative take.  I've done that many times.

As I've gotten older, I try to be conscious of this more and try to give the player a fair shake on 2nd watch.  A good example for me on this is Ricky Pearsall.  On first watch I didn't get it.  And it annoyed me to read-hear his hype -- Logan, Kiper, etc.  I did though go back and rewatch and now he's one of my favorite players in the draft.

I am not saying everyone here isn't giving Daniels a fair shake.  But when I read posts here about people saying they don't dig the player but they are going to rewatch and try to convince themsleves that maybe they are wrong.  Speaking for myself if I watch with that perspective, I doubt I'd like the player more on the rewatch because the idea of convincing yourself is already a negative. 

For me I have to do it as much as a can with a clear mind. When watching a player, you can find the negative on pretty much all of them if you look for it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10117272-daniel-jeremiah-predicts-drake-maye-to-commanders-amid-jayden-daniels-draft-rumors

Daniel Jeremiah Predicts Drake Maye to Commanders amid Jayden Daniels Draft Rumors

DORIC SAMAPRIL 17, 2024

The Washington Commanders have been rumored to be interested in selecting LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels with the No. 2 pick in next week's NFL draft, but one expert believes they are eyeing another highly-touted prospect.

During a conference call with reporters on Wednesday, NFL Network draft expert Daniel Jeremiah said "he's personally leaning" toward the Commanders drafting North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye over Daniels.

Jeremiah cited his familiarity with new Commanders general manager Adam Peters and how he operates as the reason for his prediction, emphasizing the "suspense" that continues to surround the No. 2 pick.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Screenshot_20240417_145718_Chrome.jpg.c6029c1a3168700e1b5b2599a9fda765.jpg

Serious question: If you didn't know who this was and you were just seeing him for the first time and you were told he's a quarterback would you honestly think that he looks too small to play the position?

flexing-my-abs-phillip.gif.ac5fc10a52441da1e00a7fcb8abfc3ab.gif

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10117272-daniel-jeremiah-predicts-drake-maye-to-commanders-amid-jayden-daniels-draft-rumors

Daniel Jeremiah Predicts Drake Maye to Commanders amid Jayden Daniels Draft Rumors

DORIC SAMAPRIL 17, 2024

The Washington Commanders have been rumored to be interested in selecting LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels with the No. 2 pick in next week's NFL draft, but one expert believes they are eyeing another highly-touted prospect.

During a conference call with reporters on Wednesday, NFL Network draft expert Daniel Jeremiah said "he's personally leaning" toward the Commanders drafting North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye over Daniels.

Jeremiah cited his familiarity with new Commanders general manager Adam Peters and how he operates as the reason for his prediction, emphasizing the "suspense" that continues to surround the No. 2 pick.

He was just saying Daniels yesterday when he was on w/ Kiper lol.  They asked him about his Mock Draft and then he said oh yeah that was before I had more info and lately all my info has been leaning Daniels.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Kidding aside his frame definitely looks bigger and bulkier than it was even just at the tail end of his senior year.

I'm now less worried about his frame and more worried with what the obvious weight he's put on has done to his speed and athleticism. 

The criticism of him putting on obvious weight and not running at all since his last game is a valid one.

• Like 1