Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I don't think anything has changed.

Edit:  Touring the facility in Ashburn must come as a shock to some of these guys.  Dan left a 32nd ranked facility for the new owners.  The QB's having toured other nicer facilities are probably scratching their heads.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/apr/15/top-qb-prospects-visit-commanders-park-nfl-draft-n/

The Washington Commanders are hosting several quarterback prospects on pre-draft visits this week. The NFL draft is over a week away, but the team’s decision-makers are already on the clock when it comes to picking their quarterback of the future.

LSU’s Jayden Daniels and UNC’s Drake Maye are the most likely candidates for Washington with the No. 2 overall pick, but a pair of dark horses could woo coach Dan Quinn and general manager Adam Peters

Daniels toured the team facility on Monday before Maye‘s scheduled visit to Commanders Park on Tuesday and Wednesday. Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy, a late riser in draft discussions, will also arrive in Ashburn this week. Peters and company also hosted University of Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. during the pre-draft process.

Edited by Fred Jones
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

My recollection was that Daniels was Mon-Tues

Maye was Tues-Wed

Then JJ entered the fold on some day, and I assumed it was Wednesday, but I don't think we've gotten confirmation on that.

So sounds like Daniels and Maye get their own "nights," but Daniels is the only one who gets his own "day" per se.

I thought it was Monday night Daniels (probably dinner, then work at facility next day), same for Maye (Tues night, Wednesday day ), and JJ would be Wednesday night, Thursday day). 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

I thought it was Monday night Daniels (probably dinner, then work at facility next day), same for Maye (Tues night, Wednesday day ), and JJ would be Wednesday night, Thursday day). 

Yeah that sounds about right.

We need some Eddie Royal at Morton's news breaks now...lolol

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, illone said:

Something that stood out when i watched Michigan live, and then more-so when I went back and watched cut ups of his throws...

he rarely escapes backwards

It’s OK to step backwards when you’re escaping pressure. It depends on where the pressure is coming from and the defenders aiming point. Pressure is coming from up the middle, do you want to slide to the side and then step up. If pressure is coming from the outside and aiming towards the quarterbacks back shoulder, want to step up and then slide to the direction that the pressure came from. If pressure is coming from the outside, but the quarterbacks front shoulder, you want to step back and then roll to the side of the pressure came from. 

Driving and using voice recognition. Forgive any typos.

32 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

It’s OK to step backwards when you’re escaping pressure. It depends on where the pressure is coming from and the defenders aiming point. Pressure is coming from up the middle, do you want to slide to the side and then step up. If pressure is coming from the outside and aiming towards the quarterbacks back shoulder, want to step up and then slide to the direction that the pressure came from. If pressure is coming from the outside, but the quarterbacks front shoulder, you want to step back and then roll to the side of the pressure came from. 

Driving and using voice recognition. Forgive any typos.

If you're posting here while driving you may have a problem.

Find a meeting. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Haha 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I don't like having all these guys visit at the same time like that. Man I really hope we aren't getting bitten by decision paralysis again. This is like the coaching hire part 2 where we tried to interview a bunch of people all at around the same time and got hosed.

10 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I think the deadline for top 30 visits is April 19 (though I've also seen April 17 in some places, and even April 24 in at least one lol), so this timeline would work. They could also do Thursday night / Friday day with somebody.

Edit: Nope, it's April 17, per NFL website:

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/nfl-schedule/2024-important-nfl-dates/

April 17 Deadline for clubs to time, test, visit, interview or conduct a physical examination with a draft- eligible player at its club facility.

So a Thursday visit is out, although they could meet with players elsewhere up until the day before the draft:

April 24 Deadline for prior club to exercise Right of First Refusal to restricted free agents who signed offer sheets.
Deadline for clubs to time, test, visit, interview (including video and phone calls) or conduct a physical examination with a draft-eligible player at any location.
Edited by Dah-Dee

18 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I don't think you're right.

I believeJayden and Drake get the back to back "separate but equal"  steakhouse fun nights, plush hotel executive suite sleepovers, followed by full workday sessions.

While McCarthy gets a last day, "wam bam thank you Mam" Wednesday afternoon quickie, topped off with a stop at the Airport Hardee's drive-thru on the way home. 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I don't see the issue with stacking QB visits one after the other. 🤷‍♂️

Or stacking QBs with 2024 draft picks. Gotta catch 'em all! 🤑

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I can’t believe they’re bringing in McCarthy. Why are they wasting that poor kid’s time? They know they’re not picking him.

Don't tell PFF:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-mock-draft-commanders-jj-mccarthy-vikings-two-qbs

Two-Round 2024 NFL Mock Draft: Commanders select J.J. McCarthy, Vikings secure two QBs

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I understand the release is quick and the mechanics are tight and the footwork is square and the stroke is repeatable…but I just don’t like the ball coming out of Daniels’ hand. Every throw looks like he’s trying to feather in a touch pass over the top without ideal velocity. I’m probably not explaining it well but it’s not just an “arm strength” thing. It doesn’t matter whether I watch cut-ups, highlights, analyst breakdowns…I have a hard time doing what I’m trying to do, which is fall in love with Daniels at least a fraction of the amount I have with Maye—because I want to be happy/satisfied/hopeful either way. And intellectually, I’ve mostly gotten there. I nod along on paper with why I should be excited about Daniels if he’s the pick (while still allowing for the flaws I’m worried about to keep me grounded on it). But I just can’t get away from the fact that I don’t experience joy watching Daniels throw the ball. I just don’t.  

I feel the exact same way. 

For me, it’s watching the throws where the WR is settling down and just waiting for the ball. I’m cringing and imagining them being broken up.

But watching some of the all throws and run footage does give me some confidence as far as his ability to avoid big hits. Lots of scrambles where he picks up 5-10 and gets out of bounds. Also, I think his smooth, quick dump offs to RBs look like Kirk Cousins and makes me smile.

I think he can be an ultra efficient point guard who also can scramble for big gains when necessary.

But the arm is just not in Maye’s class. 

I’m fascinated by what type of scheme we run and how coaching staff and FO views these guys. 

• Like 4

Just now, Dah-Dee said:

I'm so confused.

I think there is a bit of telephone going on. Maybe Daniels was actually Sunday/Monday, Drake Monday/Tues, etc. Initial report could have changed.

I think they all are getting the travel day/dinner and then a full day at facility.

• Like 1

Keim mentioned last week that Penix was coming as a contingency plan in case they get an offer they can't refuse, but he said that was very unlikely to occur.

Just covering their bases.

XXXXXXXXX

@seantaylor=god wrote:

Maybe Daniels was actually Sunday/Monday, Drake Monday/Tues, etc.

Schefter confirmed yesterday or today (IIRC) that Daniels was today and tommorrow.

Cooley back on Sheehan.  Made me realize how much I missed listening to him.  Super cool guy.

It was hilarious listening him actually say he was so down on Haskins that he went to Dan and Bruce and tried to talk them out of drafting him.

He did like Lamar as I remembered.  Again he's hit and miss on QBs as any mortal though.

He doubled down on loving Daniels, even more strongly hinted that he liked Maye too, started watching him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I don't see the issue with stacking QB visits one after the other. 🤷‍♂️

Especially if you already know you like them personally and you just wanna see them on the white board or something. Can’t have that many questions left. 

Daniels only getting an entire day so they can see his weight him after the gallons of water dries up in the VA Sun anyway lol

There is gonna be a fistfight in the hallways.

Can't have all these side pieces around your main squeeze.

Washington is living dangerously

5 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Keim mentioned last week that Oenix was coming as a contingency plan in case they get an offer they can't refuse, but he Saud that was very unlikely to occur.

We knew they were looking at Penix, but that report indicates Maye's visit timefame.

Something has to be wrong.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Keim mentioned last week that Penix was coming as a contingency plan in case they get an offer they can't refuse, but he said that was very unlikely to occur.

Just covering their bases.

XXXXXXXXX

@seantaylor=god wrote:

Maybe Daniels was actually Sunday/Monday, Drake Monday/Tues, etc.

Schefter confirmed yesterday or today (IIRC) that Daniels was today and tommorrow.

Yeah then I really don’t understand it.

Wow everything going haywire. This is friggin' crazy!!

Maybe they're having a mini-camp from today through Wednesday with everyone staying in one room and sleeping in bunk beds like a concentration camp.

They can film them 24-7, see who the alpha is and who's the omega. Play heavy metal rock and baby crying sounds all night so they're sleep deprived. See who comes up with the most ingenious plan to escape. Grill them in the backroom under bright lights like an old school second degree interrogation to see who breaks and who sticks to name, position, and uniform number.

And Wednesday night whoever's still standing gets the gig.

• Haha 2