Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Epochalypse said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noXd1LlR2N4

Not sure how to do youtube vids correctly, but here's discussion on the top 6 QBs as ranked by Josh Norris and Hayden Winks.

At risk of spoiling, they have their top 4 as Caleb, Drake, JJ, then Jayden, and they explain why.

Thank god someone finally brought up the other issues with Daniels besides his frame. Lack of 2nd level tight window throws between the numbers, lack of anticipation throws, bad PTS ratio (and they talked about his entire career, not just his final season), historically low number of times he passes when pressured (and they acknowledged that, while it may have yielded some big plays in college, it's less likely to as often in the NFL), the fact that those red flags are still there after 5 years of starting.

If seems like most breakdowns talk about how athletic he is, how fast is he is, his big 2023 season, and then just mention the frame as a negative and often simply hand wave everything else away.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I watched the latest Adam Schefter Daniels drill.

It basically is a variation of the Keim drill excepted flipped from coaches to personel people. 

Keim said its based on coaches (including good offensive minds he trusts) overwhelmingly told him Daniels is QB #2.  Schefter said the same thing but as to personnel people, and with some telling him he's the #1 QB.

So the idea i gather if its that overwhelming that Daniels is the best then why won't it filter to Washington?

And both Keim and Schefter continue to say these prodays are big.  And it can be a different QB selected.

For those that want Maye (me included) I listened to one of Spielman's collegues who doubled down that Spielman has Maye as QB #2 albiet likes Daniels too and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best QB in the class.  But considering Spielman hired Peters maybe that filts to Peters where he likes both but prefers Maye.  Will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

A little something for everybody here.

First Joel Klatt executes a strong defense of Drake Maye against the slanderous insults of the hating mob…

Then Joel Klatt reluctantly admits that Jayden Daniels is an amazingly efficient full field post-snap processor…

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

"Then Joel Klatt reluctantly admits that Jayden Daniels is an amazingly efficient full field post-snap processor… "

I wonder what the take is on Daniels in that Ole Miss game, under 4 to go with the lead, where he had a wide open receiver immediately and would have picked up the first but instead ran around and took a sack. Then Miss took the lead and LSU lost.

I certainly wouldn't call that elite processing.

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

"Then Joel Klatt reluctantly admits that Jayden Daniels is an amazingly efficient full field post-snap processor… "

I wonder what the take is on Daniels in that Ole Miss game, under 4 to go with the lead, where he had a wide open receiver immediately and would have picked up the first but instead ran around and took a sack. Then Miss took the lead and LSU lost.

I am detecting something from some of the QB analysis commentary that makes me a bit uncomfortable. Like guys are being held to different standards in public discussion for non football reasons. Like I am comfortable saying JD was embarrassing on the podium but I feel like people are holding back (not socal lol).

How do guys who don't throw down the middle get known as post snap processors if they also get sacked a high percentage of times and run so much and not keep eyes downfield? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

A little something for everybody here.

First Joel Klatt executes a strong defense of Drake Maye against the slanderous insults of the hating mob…

Then Joel Klatt reluctantly admits that Jayden Daniels is an amazingly efficient full field post-snap processor…

Great post, CITR!  I respect Joel Klatt!  BIG TIME!  Drake Maye better be the pick!  

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Lack of 2nd level tight window throws between the numbers, lack of anticipation throws, bad PTS ratio (

Good points and good post overall.

I think I can add a useful rebuttal to at least part of it.

I watched the Keim interview with Jay Gruden earlier today so it’s fresh in my mind. He discussed the “between the number throws” and he said they aren’t a big part of LSUs offense, but the few times they’re called Daniels was proficient throwing them. 

On the lack of anticipatory throws I think you’re criticism has solid footing. While, Gruden said they don’t focus on that like they would in a West coast offense, it was evident to him that Daniels needed to improve in that area and he thought he could. However, Gruden then added that Kingsbury’s previous offenses did not use anticipatory throws much anyway.

On the almighty PTS ratio, it was discussed near the end of Keim’s interview with DQ yesterday. Keim asked him if he was concerned about Jayden’s PTS ratio. Quinn didn’t seem concerned at all.

He said there were many different factors that have to be evaluated and analyzed beyond just looking at a simple analytic and thinking that it magically tells you everything you need to know about a player.

Quinn then ended the interview by saying, “For me analytics are on tap, but they’re not on top.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

What is the good reason for keeping Peters and Quinn around if they draft a QB and he busts?

Depends what else they do re the roster development and coaching job. Should John Lynch and Kyle be fired?

But a lot has to go right to survive a QB picked at #2 busting.

51 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I get the love for Rattler and I like him but few if anyone on this site like Sam Hartman of ND as a successful QB in the Pros.  Why? I think given the chance he can be successful with a decent cast behind him.  Not a star cast but a good one. 

I watched quite a bit of ND football last year. Hartman is not an NFL calibre QB. 

Hes going to be a much better shampoo commercial guy than QB.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Depends what else they do re the roster development and coaching job. Should John Lynch and Kyle be fired?

But a lot has to go right to survive a QB picked at #2 busting.

I watched quite a bit of ND football last year. Hartman is not an NFL calibre QB. 

Hes going to be a much better shampoo commercial guy than QB.

Well, your the 2nd ESer who has told me this, MartinC.  I'll take both of your opinions on it especially since you watched ND play.  What tape I saw on him seemed to show he had talent but I guess not. I do like Rattler though.  

27 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

“I wonder what the take is on Daniels in that Ole Miss game, under 4 to go with the lead, where he had a wide open receiver immediately and would have picked up the first but instead ran around and took a sack.”

I would assume that he would say the same thing that I would—  it was a bad play and a bad decision. There’s not a qb in the draft who hasn’t made similar errors.

It won’t be his last mistake, but hopefully he learns from it.

” I certainly wouldn't call that elite processing.”

I’m not even going to pretend as if I have a clue what elite processing means. Especially when so many professionals who get paid to evaluate players say the only way to be certain is to go over each play in detail with the player so that you know exactly what he was thinking, what his reads were, whether someone ran the wrong route, if the protections were called properly, or any of a thousand other critical details, that are impossible to know from the comfort of our computer screens.

• Like 3

Just now, RWJ said:

Well, your the 2nd ESer who has told me this, MartinC.  I'll take both of your opinions on it especially since you watched ND play.  What tape I saw on him seemed to show he had talent but I guess not. I do like Rattler though.  

Below average arm, and really poor footwork are not a good combination. Add in he tends to miss high and can’t drive the ball on outs or stick throws and that explains his high turnover rate. He’s a practice squad type guy. Think Jake Fromm but with better hair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Below average arm, and really poor footwork are not a good combination. Add in he tends to miss high and can’t drive the ball on outs or stick throws and that explains his high turnover rate. He’s a practice squad type guy. Think Jake Fromm but with better hair.

Thanks, MartinC.  LOL

35 minutes ago, dunfer said:

patriots are clearly attacking us with AI deepfake skynet tech. This old message board which is probably aol tech seems impervious

You’re right. We’re the equivalent of the old warship Battlestar Galactica, old technology meant for retirement but brought back to the forefront after the Cylons infiltrate and cripple the more technologically advanced modern fleet

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yes I’m sure maye has never made a single bad decision or play in any of the games he was in

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So Schefter confirms that his Daniels certainty comes from what he’s hearing from the rest of the league, not a source with us. Which we suspected and seemed likely. But interesting to hear him outright say it 

• Like 4

I still think it's Maye..It just dosen't make any sense to draft a QB that is older with a lower ceiling over a QB that has a higher ceiling that is younger with prototypical measurements..I could see it if this was a GM and HC that was in say year 2 or 3 of a build,But to be in your first year together? It's just foolish with the red flags that JD has.

• Like 2