Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I kindve want us to draft Daniels or McCarthy because I love this thread so much and I know that getting either one is a surefire path to reviving it next year so we can spend six months arguing if we should take Quinn Ewers or Shadeur Sanders at number one.

(Hint: Both will suck)

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't see the Pats moving off 3. 1 2 3 will be Williams - Maye or Daniels - Maye or Daniels.

Lets just hope Peters makes the right choice and doesn't fall for the Daniels trap. My fear is him being a 1st time GM he'll succumb to the smoke and bs. It doesn't mean he's a bad GM or anything, because even the best GMs eff up QB, but itd still be a big disappointment.

Wildcard is JJ McCarthy, WH.  You and I don't know and won't know until draft night, 4/25.  Maye it should be, agreed but we wait.  Daniels will be snapped in two, physically his first year.  He can't dodge all the hits from the Pro Ds in the NFL.  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Wildcard is JJ McCarthy, WH.  You and I don't know and won't know until draft night, 4/25.  Maye it should be, agreed but we wait.  Daniels will be snapped in two, physically his first year.  He can't dodge all the hits from the Pro Ds in the NFL.  

McCarthy is...fine. He's not special. He's not someone you take #2 overall in a class with guys like Williams and Maye.

If we were picking like 15th I'd be thrilled with McCarthy. But not at 2 or top 5.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

This is a ****ing Dan Snyder move. What the actual ****? That better be some fake ass news. 🤣

In fairness, if Caleb is, what scouts seem to think he is, he's worth that and more. I'd just rather have a clean mental make up report, rather than the weird stuff, mixed in w/is this haters, or is he genuinely a bit of a problem, personality wise, if I was gonna move future firsts. That plus my belief in Maye would make me not interested, but it is worth it, if you think it's it. This is Caleb Williams. Was Burrow worth 3 firsts? Yes, Herbert? Yes, Caleb if he's like them? Yes, without question. But I think Maye has similar potential, and I worry about outside stuff with Caleb, a teeny bit that I didnt with Burrow. 

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I kindve want us to draft Daniels or McCarthy because I love this thread so much and I know that getting either one is a surefire path to reviving it next year so we can spend six months arguing if we should take Quinn Ewers or Shadeur Sanders at number one.

Hint, just trying to avoid a car antenna lashing.

• Like 1

What makes Maye more of a home run swing than McCarthy or Daniels. Daniels has the arm talent to make all the throws, and has elite speed. His ceiling seems pretty high, as for McCarthy, he had the second strongest arm of the combine, Maye has a little bigger arm but not by much. McCarthy can make all of the throws as well and was more accurate over the middle throwing second level with anticipation. He is also quicker on his feet than Maye as well. The ceiling for all these guys is a top 10 qb year in and out.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

McCarthy is...fine. He's not special. He's not someone you take #2 overall in a class with guys like Williams and Maye.

If we were picking like 15th I'd be thrilled with McCarthy. But not at 2 or top 5.

Well, Maye all the way!  But if not may, hard NO to Daniels for reasons explained.  Perfect scenario is trade with Zona at #4.  They get our #2.  We get their #4 and #35.  We trade with Seattle.  They get our #36 and #40 and we get their #16 and we draft Fuaga from Oregon St..  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

What makes Maye more of a home run swing than McCarthy or Daniels. Daniels has the arm talent to make all the throws, and has elite speed. His ceiling seems pretty high, as for McCarthy, he had the second strongest arm of the combine, Maye has a little bigger arm but not by much. McCarthy can make all of the throws as well and was more accurate over the middle throwing second level with anticipation. He is also quicker on his feet than Maye as well. The ceiling for all these guys is a top 10 qb year in and out.

Daniels doesn't have a great arm. Its average at best. And he has great straight line speed but he's not a great instinctual runner and lacks wiggle and elusiveness, which coupled with his frame and reckless running style means he's gonna get killed. He's also already 23 and will be 24 his rookie year. He pretty much is what he is at this point. And he fails like every metric test(pressure to sack, throws down the middle with anticipation etc.).

McCarthy isn't as big or as strong as Maye and doesn't have Maye's arm either. McCarthy barely threw the ball in college so we have no idea how he'd do in a chaotic environment where he has to carry his team the way Maye carried his.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, Maye all the way!  But if not may, hard NO to Daniels for reasons explained.  Perfect scenario is trade with Zona at #4.  They get our #2.  We get their #4 and #35.  We trade with Seattle.  They get our #36 and #40 and we get their #16 and we draft Fuaga from Oregon St..  

Arizona has 0 incentive to make that trade.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Daniels doesn't have a great arm. Its average at best. And he has great straight line speed but he's not a great instinctual runner and lacks wiggle and elusiveness, which coupled with his frame and reckless running style means he's gonna get killed. He's also already 23 and will be 24 his rookie year. He pretty much is what he is at this point. And he fails like every metric test(pressure to sack, throws down the middle with anticipation etc.).

McCarthy isn't as big or as strong as Maye and doesn't have Maye's arm either. McCarthy barely threw the ball in college so we have no idea how he'd do in a chaotic environment where he has to carry his team the way Maye carried his.

Arizona has 0 incentive to make that trade.

Arizona is fun because they've got the capital and are not too far back to miss a QB, but there's no reason for them to go from #4 to #2 because they're likely to have their pick of WR regardless by just staying at #4.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Arizona is fun because they've got the capital and are not too far back to miss a QB, but there's no reason for them to go from #4 to #2 because they're likely to have their pick of WR regardless by just staying at #4.

That's why I was relieved when Arizona upset the Eagles. If they were in the 2 or 3 slot and the Commanders were at 4, the Commanders would have had to outbid other teams who want Maye/Daniels because Arizona would likely be happy with MHJr., Nabers, or Odunze and extra draft capital. They are now likely to stay at 4 and take MHJr.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Here's part of the qb section.

Sorry for the small print. If you have eye issues like I do you'll need to click on each individual image and expand it.

Screenshot_20240410_090331_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.ac445dfe5c15554024aac139b0964b31.jpg

Screenshot_20240410_090411_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.19f29a97e0244d0914b0752a4c91672d.jpg

Screenshot_20240410_090422_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.ce9f64c1f800246ff3daea593f0487c5.jpg

Screenshot_20240410_090436_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.2a0268bbdf0eb7a19969ee2109bc3cb1.jpgScreenshot_20240410_091024_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.0bab2712ebf38362afdd462af6e3ecd1.jpg

Thanks for this excerpt, lots of interesting info and it's hard to quibble with the pros/cons or conclusions on the top QB prospects.

One weird thing I noticed is how many of these guys will turn 24 or 25 (or 26 in one case!) during their rookie season. Freaking covid just impacted everything about everything, ugh. 

I did see an article recently talking about the age factor in today's NFL not being as big a deal as it used to be, because there's so much cross-pollination of concepts now between NFL and college football, so teams have started to look at more college games played as a possible positive. I don't know what to think about that.

• Thumb up 1

JJ McCarthy is such a stud. Like, the way he threw for 300 yards in THREE WHOLE GAMES over his career. Or just check out these awesome yardage totals against ranked opponents:

8 MSU: 23 yards

2 OSU: 31 yards

13 Iowa: 6 yards

3 UGA: 131 yards (Loss)

10 PSU: 145 yards

2 OSU: 263 yards

3 TCU: 343 yards (2 INTs, Loss)

10 PSU: 60 yards

2 OSU: 148 yards 

4 ALA: 221 yards

2 WASH: 140 yards

this is totally the guy I want leading my team when we are starting at the 25, down by four with two minutes left.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You need to be put on a watchlist for this one 

• Like 2

JD seems to enjoy poking at narratives.

Calls people out

1 minute ago, Dah-Dee said:

One weird thing I noticed is how many of these guys will turn 24 or 25 (or 26 in one case!) during their rookie season. Freaking covid just impacted everything about everything, ugh. 

I did see an article recently talking about the age factor in today's NFL not being as big a deal as it used to be, because there's so much cross-pollination of concepts now between NFL and college football, so teams have started to look at more college games played as a possible positive. I don't know what to think about that.

Covid was just the beginning. Probably gonna see the average age of drafted player increase due to NILs.

Plus w/ the increase in medical science, player safety and rule changes careers can last longer.

Lots of stuff going on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

JD seems to enjoy poking at narratives.

Calls people out

Im firmly in the Maye over Daniels camp...but after saying that how in the hell does anyone know that the Daniels meeting wasn't good? Cant wait for the 26th so all this rubbish can go away.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

That was a long time ago though. Times were different then IMHO.

Also, if you actually watched Manning play you could tell he was legit. His interceptions were mostly just him being aggressive throwing downfield because the team around him was garbage and figuring out what he could and couldn't get away with. He also threw a lot of TDs(I believe the rookie record at the time).

The very next year he was a Pro Bowler and they won 13 games and began a reign of dominance in their division/conference.

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

yada yada JJ has moxie and is a winner yada yada

“Before he signed, he was telling other Michigan recruits that if they wanted to party and chase girls, go somewhere else. ... He’s different.”

I would interpret that particular quote, as less about JJ's moxie and more about his character, focus, commitment and uncommon maturity for a (at the time) high school player.

To be honest at the age of 18, I would have been the  knucklehead  endorsing all the "partying and chasing girls" a young man could handle. 🙂

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Who had the most drafted Talent of the QB's/ Teams per the GM's of Extreme?

From the Mock Draft OFF QB and Team picks per RD. 2024. No DEF. picks

Maye   N.C.  1,4  QB WR

Daniels LSU  1,1,1  QB 2 Top WR, skill players, 

Nix Oregon 1,2,2,5  1 top OL, Skill players, Nix rd.2

Willams USC 1,4,4,5,7  no.1 QB mix later

Wash. Penix 1,1,2,3,3,4,6 Without Penix going1 1 TOP OL  and skill players through RD.3.

McCarthey1,2,3,3,5,5,6,6,7  QB,WR,RB OL later 

In this draft it looks like Maye had very little to play with.

Williams is next, not much talent.

Nix is another with not a lot of talent.

Daniel  Talent at the very top.

McCarthy had the most picks not as much high end talent. Top overall talent

Penix clearly had the most talent, Top WR's ,OL.'s 

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I enjoy smart (or funny) posting whether it's pro/anti Maye or pro/anti Daniels or any other oft-mentioned qb in this thread. I will give a positive emoji reaction to them, independent of whether they mirror my position. 

I don't like stupid, I don't like gratuitously rude or demeaning takes, and I typically have a really negative reaction to any post that opens with "this board...." or "on ES...." etc. and then goes on to apply a demeaning mischaracterization to a discussion. 

Quote the poster or posters you want to call out and then proceed, just stay within the rules when you do. Use phrases like "Some of the Maye/Daniels/JJ fans seem to...." and then do your thing. It's not rocket surgery.

When ES was founded, one of the core pillars was a desire to not be just another typical internet sinkhole of dumbassery, trolling, and uninformed or unintelligent blather. Standards matter here.

I still favor Maye, and I still see Daniels as a very equivalent level choice and think the best arguments I've read on the pros and cons of both seem pretty solid.

Right or wrong, my take is rooted in more worry about JDs durability frame-wise in the pros and a couple other commonly noted concerns, more than I worry about Maye's footwork, pocket drift, and other (to me more minor) areas of  "rawness" vs. "polish".

Right or wrong, while I expect both to improve their game with good coaching, I think Mayes areas of concern are more easily corrected.

My concerns about JDs frame aren't really correctable, though there is some possibility to "learn how to take hits" better and I do think he's fairly elusive on college film. Still have the concerns.

I know it's kind of silly to do make a plea for less emo/ego on any sports message board, but I see some people argue with a level of intensity and fervor as though there was some big pay off in convincing another poster to change their take or would somehow affect the decision the team will make. 😛

This is a marathon, not a sprint. We still have a couple weeks to go and then we may easily still have the whole season to go insane over the QB we took vs the ones we didn't. 😆😆😆

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1