Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, jg77 said:

Mariota's play style is nothing like Maye's imo. And also Maye needs to sit a year. He has a lot to work on. If he doesn't sit then he'll most likely be Blake Bortles 2.0

NFL defenders are going to feast on his slow delivery.

Mariota's play style is nothing like Maye's?? They are the exact same build and both had very similar college stats. Their releases are on par with each other. While I agree that Maye should sit, that notion that Mariota's play style is nothing like his is not correct.

3 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

The more I watch the tape on JD5 the more I see him as... Trey Lance, but leaner. The pressure to sack ratio is just a huge stat and that is probably my biggest red flag for the kid.

We've barely seen Trey Lance play football. I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion and I can't think of a worse comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

Mariota's play style is nothing like Maye's?? They are the exact same build and both had very similar college stats. Their releases are on par with each other. While I agree that Maye should sit, that notion that Mariota's play style is nothing like his is not correct.

Blake Bortles and Sam Darnold would be my comparison for Maye. And Mariota doesn't play like either of those dudes imo. Agree to disagree.

Just now, jg77 said:

Blake Bortles and Sam Darnold would be my comparison for Maye. And Mariota doesn't play like either of those dudes imo. Agree to disagree.

And my comparison is Justin Herbert and Josh Allen. JD5 is RG3 lite. But yes, agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, jg77 said:

We've barely seen Trey Lance play football. I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion and I can't think of a worse comparison.

Tyrod Taylor then. Minus a handful of Big Macs.

8 minutes ago, jg77 said:

Mariota's play style is nothing like Maye's imo. And also Maye needs to sit a year. He has a lot to work on. If he doesn't sit then he'll most likely be Blake Bortles 2.0

NFL defenders are going to feast on his slow delivery.

Mariota is much more likely to use his legs to extend plays and then make off platform throws vs immediately take off. That's Maye, not Daniels. Daniels has an extremely high percentage of times where he just runs after being pressured and breaking the pocket.

And Daniels has just as many issues that could cause him to need to sit as well. Mostly lack of throwing many tight window 2nd level and anticipation throws in college, as well as his propensity for running so soon after seeing pressure, which could be disastrous in the NFL.

Don't think I saw this posted.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39872515/sources-caleb-williams-visits-bears-ahead-nfl-draft

Sources: Caleb Williams visits with Bears ahead of NFL draft

USC quarterback Caleb Williams was inside Halas Hall on Wednesday for his pre-draft visit with the Bears, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Williams, the presumptive No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, dined with Bears brass Tuesday before taking his prospect visit Wednesday, sources said.

6 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

And my comparison is Justin Herbert and Josh Allen. JD5 is RG3 lite. But yes, agree to disagree.

Maye is big but those dudes are another level. Maye doesn't have the rushing ability that Josh Allen has. The only QB that is definitively a better runner is Lamar...maybe Fields but he's not the same level of QB as those two. I don't see that from Maye, sorry.

As I've said before Jayden reminds me of a taller Kyler Murray which sounds like a pretty good QB to me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, illone said:

this is silly. Nobody is ignoring anything. 

You should try to separate your bias towards the kid and not get so defensive about him. None of this is personal. 

its not about stats or past success. 

This pick is about projecting a players career potential for ten plus years. 

A dual threat guy that weighs 190 soaking wet is probably the biggest risk there is at QB. Id take JJ over him because he projects higher in my model long term. Hell I’d take Penix over him too. For me he is QB6 in this draft. 

But to each their own.

If he is the pick I’ll just change the channel when he runs it so as to avoid the impending train wreck. I cant handle another high draft pick getting ruined by irresponsible play style. 

If you read up a few posts above mine, this is literally in a post from someone:

have no idea whats going on because the Daniels hypers are logically ignoring his career and focusing on his '23,

I was just defending his overall career. 

The JD5 hate/distrust on here is bizarre :lol: You go on to say none of it is personal yet you're going to change the channel everytime he runs the ball? 

Edited by BayouBrave86

2 minutes ago, jg77 said:

Maye is big but those dudes are another level. Maye doesn't have the rushing ability that Josh Allen has. The only QB that is definitively a better runner is Lamar...maybe Fields but he's not the same level of QB as those two. I don't see that from Maye, sorry.

As I've said before Jayden reminds me of a taller Kyler Murray which sounds like a pretty good QB to me.

Maye actually has many similarities to Allen and Herbert. Slightly smaller than both, but similar athleticism and running ability, arm strength is close. Neither is anything close to Lamar, who is a 4.3 guy. Allen and Herbert are both around 4.7 guys which is probably where Maye is.

Maye is more highly touted coming out than either Allen or Herbert and will be drafted higher. Doesn't mean he'll be as good as them in the NFL, but it still has some meaning as far as his potential.

You like Daniels, which is fine. But pretending that Maye is crap and doesn't have any top notch comparisons in the NFL isn't very realistic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I thought JT said that Jayden was a counselor at one of the camps that JT ran.  He seemed to know Jayden fairly well.

Maybe that was it, I was half paying attention to explaining how he knew him but I encoded he knew him because he explained what type of dude he was and I recall him saying he came off very coachable.  So there must be something to that relationship I gather beyond watching him teach.

5 minutes ago, jg77 said:

Kyler is a great cautionary tale though.

He's missed 3, 6 and 9 games in the last 3 years respectively.  He also got a fat contract.  So while their window is still open and it may be a blessing in disguise to pick so high (getting MHJr perhaps) obviously they want results, and they're not getting them.

Just now, shemp nixon said:

Who gives a **** what number the backup QB is wearing?

People who write trivia questions, I assume.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Daniels and his mother help manufacture the toxic situation at ASU. 😂 

This is so laughable. 

Oh is that why 16 other players transferred out of Arizona State along with Jayden the year he left?

It couldn't be the offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator resigning or the wide receivers coach and and defensive backs coach being fired that same offseason either.

Arizona State players clearing out Jayden's locker. That's a really healthy environment. So healthy that Herm was fired the following season and put in a self-imposed bowl ban for 2023.

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Mariota is much more likely to use his legs to extend plays and then make off platform throws vs immediately take off. That's Maye, not Daniels. Daniels has an extremely high percentage of times where he just runs after being pressured and breaking the pocket.

And Daniels has just as many issues that could cause him to need to sit as well. Mostly lack of throwing many tight window 2nd level and anticipation throws in college, as well as his propensity for running so soon after seeing pressure, which could be disastrous in the NFL.

Yeah with Daniels IMO

A.  Throwing with anticipation

B.  Throwing off platform

C. Throwing in between the numbers

All key things to transition to the NFL.  If people want to make the case that Jayden's running ability can offset some of those issues at the start of his career -- maybe so.  But as a pure passer IMO Daniels has as many things to work on as Maye.

I think one point that can't be stressed enough is this is Maye as 21.  Daniels at 21 wasn't nearly the passer he is today.

Upside is the operative point with Maye

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah with Daniels IMO

A.  Throwing with anticipation

B.  Throwing off platform

C. Throwing in between the numbers

All key things to transition to the NFL.  If people want to make the case that Jayden's running ability can offset some of those issues at the start of his career -- maybe so.  But as a pure passer IMO Daniels has as many things to work on as Maye.

I think one point that can't be stressed enough is this is Maye as 21.  Daniels as 21 wasn't nearly the passer he is today.

Upside is the operative point with Maye

Jayden protects the ball better than any other QB in the draft which is a pretty important trait especially in the NFL.

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maye actually has many similarities to Allen and Herbert. Slightly smaller than both, but similar athleticism and running ability, arm strength is close. Neither is anything close to Lamar, who is a 4.3 guy. Allen and Herbert are both around 4.7 guys which is probably where Maye is.

Maye is more highly touted coming out than either Allen or Herbert and will be drafted higher. Doesn't mean he'll be as good as them in the NFL, but it still has some meaning as far as his potential.

You like Daniels, which is fine. But pretending that Maye is crap and doesn't have any top notch comparisons in the NFL isn't very realistic.

I don't think he's bad. I just think Daniels is the better choice with much less to work on.

I'm leary on QBs who main issue is throwing the football. Throwing motion, footwork, etc...he has to clean that stuff up. 

4 minutes ago, jg77 said:

I don't think he's bad. I just think Daniels is the better choice with much less to work on.

I'm leary on QBs who main issue is throwing the football. Throwing motion, footwork, etc...he has to clean that stuff up. 

Throwing motion and footwork are things a good QB coach can clean up. If you think Jayden doesn't have issues in that department as well you are sorely mistaken. The big thing is how these QBs process their reads. Maye is by far better at this, and it shows on tape. If Jayden's first read isn't open he blows out of the pocket with his legs. I'd rather have a rookie QB to mold at 21 [Maye] (22 during the season) than a 23 [Daniels] (24 during the season) year old. But once again, my opinion and I respect yours so agree to disagree.

• Like 2

"190lb soaking wet" is funny. Didn't JD weigh in right at 210 on his pro day, just as he was listed prior to all those jokes/suspicions? Someone here mentioned earlier how he looked bigger on his pro day

Here's the pic from that post. Looks thicker to me. Those last-minute big macs really did a number on his arms and legs

[Highlight] Jayden Daniels' Throwing Session Highlights at 2024 LSU Pro Day

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves

27 minutes ago, jg77 said:

I don’t see that at all from Jayden!  I think Caleb is more of a taller Kyer with better arm talent.  Both of Caleb and Kyler extend plays scrambling east and west looking to throw down field.  Jayden is more of a 1-2 read and then hit seam in the pocket and run straight up like road runner.

I think the skinny Trey Lance comp makes a lot of sense, because when you look at Treys tape from his final year at ND state, it was beautiful slot fade after beautiful slot fade to superior wr talent with a lot of comeback routes thrown in as well.  If that wasn’t there it was take off and run.  Similar to what JD did this year, but Trey would just bulldoze anyone who tried to tackle him.

• Like 1

Daniels isn't a taller Murray at all. That comp makes no sense. Murray is lightning quick and elusive. He's also very stocky and strong.

Daniels has straight line speed but doesn't really have wiggle or elusiveness. He's RG3 but skinnier and with a weaker arm.

1 minute ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

I don’t see that at all from Jayden!  I think Caleb is more of a taller Kyer with better arm talent.  Both of Caleb and Kyler extend plays scrambling east and west looking to throw down field.  Jayden is more of a 1-2 read and then hit seam in the pocket and run straight up like road runner.

Yeah if anyone is taller Kyler its Caleb. I would say Caleb is a hybrid of taller Kyler and shorter Rodgers.

• Like 1