Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

What surprises me is how well Jayden appears to throw in the middle of the field.

The unchallenged consensus opinion seemed to be that that was one of Daniels' greatest weaknesses.

Well, that data does not give any indication of how often he throws to the middle of the field or what the conditions are when he does do it. If his rating is really high because he only throws a few passes to that area each game and only when it’s his first read and the receiver is wide-open at the top of his drop with no pressure…

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well, that data does not give any indication of how often he throws to the middle of the field or what the conditions are when he does do it. If his rating is really high because he only throws a few passes to that area each game and only when it’s his first read and the receiver is wide-open at the top of his drop with no pressure…

Exactly. It also does not take into account if balls were thrown from the opposite hash, which Daniels rarely did either. 

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Of course, it is an a priori assumption that as "n" increases both the reliability and applicability of the results increase as well.

Unfortunately, one can only evaluate the data presented. Which is why I used the word "appears" rather than something more definitive.

• Like 1

Jayden Daniels didnt throw over the middle very much because he didnt have to. 

Last years version of LSU offense was built around big plays down the field, and rpo stuff with JD. 

Their TE and slot guy were 4th and 5th options on most plays. 

Definitely more of a scheme and personnel thing with him. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am firmly in the Maye camp.  And its not a tough one for me.

But if they do take Daniels, i am good with it.  Mainly because i assume they have a plan to run an offense around Daniels' wheels.  Daniels to me feels very boom-bust.  I am not in the camp that because of his wheels his floor is higher.  You can be a meh QB with wheels.  See Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Malik Willis -- heck Mariota.  These guys aren't even arguably low tier starting QBs.  You can be fast and suck.  It happens.

But Lamar, Russell Wilson and to some extent Hurts and Kyler have succeed as dual threats.     The other upside to Daniels is he's by far the more exciting player.  If we get some 2012 RG3 buzz that wouldn't hurt for a franchise trying to regain interest from their fans.

Easy on the supreme dual-threat quarterbacks. Also, Malik Willis appreciates being included in this list.

16 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

If you're in a rebuild (which we are regardless of which euphemism the brass is using for it), you are probably penciling in Mariota to start Week 1 as the more reliable veteran to help install the offense while the OL (and skill players) gel and your Rookie acclimates to the pro game.

I don't think the brass feels the need to immediately start whomever they draft and I think ultimately they'll pick the higher ceiling guy with the idea that the top-notch coaching staff will bring the best out of them (and the roster construction will drop them into a good situation).

Whether that guy is Maye or Daniels will be up to Peters & Quinn to decide, but I wouldn't read too much into whomever seems more ready to start Day 1.

No sugarcoating it—rebuilds are outdated in today's NFL. If your front office or coaches are resorting to that language, you're already in trouble.

I expect making the playoffs in year one. Scratch, claw, and coach your way into a wild card spot. If you can't establish above average play early on, it's unlikely to happen later. Three-fourths of the NFL falls below average or just average.

16 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I hope Drake Maye runs a  4.55-4.6 40 and everyone can talk about how “sneaky athletic” he is.

I really hope he runs, jumps, etc. Just be a competitor.

Maye covered all psychological aspects that I could analyze from my TV screen during the combine and other interviews I’ve watched. He appears to be a true competitor, which I believe is crucial to rival the psychologically competitive QBs in the league. If he completes all the testing and runs, it will only bolster my positive opinion of his makeup.

When available, I tend to favor physical freaks at the QB spot (round 1 guys more so these days), partly because I think they don’t necessarily need to be elite processors to compete with the top QBs in the NFL.

However, I’m completely on board if Washington can find that mental unicorn.

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

Sources are saying the opposite of what they said yesterday, details at 11.  And don't forget to tune in tomorrow when we'll feed you some new completely different mutually exclusive to previous reports rumors!

Not a problem. Today is Maye's day, where those who admire him as a prospect or have a personal connection get a chance to hype up their guy. Not implying you’re saying it’s a problem though lol 

Regardless of which QB Peters thinks is the best overall, he will ultimately draft the QB he feels would be best in THEIR offensive system. That is why the OC hire was so incredibly important this time around.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

There ya go.

Just stats, but the dude seems solid from the middle of the field. Yet some feel, he struggles with those areas and can't seem to throw effectively in the middle?

I fully recognize that I lack a spectrum to assign value to these numbers, but I do see a significant amount of production in the middle of the field.

Edited by wit33
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, illone said:

Jayden Daniels didnt throw over the middle very much because he didnt have to.

Or I could definitively state that the reason he didn’t throw in the middle of the field was because he’s not very good at it, his coaches didn’t trust him to do it, and they thought the better chance of winning was him throwing it up to stud receivers near the sideline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Agree. They want to see how he interacts with his teammates and how he carries himself during the workout more than anything else. Having a cannon and ripping 50 yarders on a rope is quite a bonus though. 

All the agents and private QB coaches tell them that. Every single aspect of it is scripted. From Caleb being overly friendly with his teammates to Jayden wearing a hoodie with his teammates name and number to whatever Maye will be doing. It’s all calculated and deliberate. 

3 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

Regardless of which QB Peters thinks is the best overall, he will ultimately draft the QB he feels would be best in THEIR offensive system. That is why the OC hire was so incredibly important this time around.

That being said, our franchise QB will hopefully be around for 10-15 years while Kingsbury may be gone after just a couple.

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Someone had a tweet that had the number of passes to each part of the field too.  If anyone knows where that is it'd be pertinent.

This is Daniels in 2023:

Daniels2023.jpeg.e85f78a7bb638c3ec62a3e69652d3d65.jpeg

• Like 1

For most of the offseason, it’s been widely believed that the new decision makers in DC have had their eyes set on LSU’s Jayden Daniels. That’s left those same draft experts to theorize on whether the Minnesota Vikings prefer Drake Maye (UNC) or JJ McCarthy (Michigan). Most have had McCarthy at a tier below Maye and Daniels, and much more likely to be had at pick No. 5.

Related: NFL Insider Floats a Vikings Double Trade into Top-3 on Draft Night

But all the steam coming out of the NFL League Meetings on Monday in Orlando is pushing a different plan for Washington. It started early this morning when, as part of his prediction that the Vikings trade up to No. 3 on draft night, NFL insider Dan Graziano (ESPN) also put the Commanders on Drake Maye at No. 2, not Jayden Daniels, leaving Minnesota with an LSU franchise QB to pair with their LSU franchise WR.

The Vikings will package three first-rounders (including future years) and move up to No. 3. I could see Washington pulling a bit of a surprise in selecting Maye at No. 2, and the Vikings ending with Daniels to pair with Jefferson — two LSU products — in this offense for years to come.

Dan Graziano – ESPN+
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

Thanks y'all.

Someone did one for I think Maye and Caleb and maybe JJ too.  Not sure where those are.

I think maybe it was NFLChick who first posted all those, been a while.

Forgive me if this question has been asked, but from a durability standpoint, how concerned is anybody about JD's weight? He tall enough, many QBs had the same weight (Montana, Brees), Kyler Murray is short and light, but historically I do not see to many QBs with the BMI (height/weight) JD has who have lasted long or made any meaningful mark in NFL/team history from a franchise QB standpoint.

4 minutes ago, cboatner said:

Forgive me if this question has been asked, but from a durability standpoint, how concerned is anybody about JD's weight? He tall enough, many QBs had the same weight (Montana, Brees), Kyler Murray is short and light, but historically I do not see to many QBs with the BMI (height/weight) JD has who have lasted long or made any meaningful mark in NFL/team history from a franchise QB standpoint.

I am pretty concerned about it. Especially because he doesnt really protect himself in the middle of the field. He has gotten better about getting out of bounds. But in the middle of the field the guy just gets destroyed. 

8 minutes ago, cboatner said:

Its absolutely a massive concern and anyone who doesn't see that is either dellusional or fails to grasp basic physics.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cboatner said:

It’s been discussed a lot, it’s a big concern for a lot of us. He weighed 210 at 6’3 5/8 at his pro day but unclear what his playing weight is- he looked bigger at the pro day, not sure if he can keep it on.

16 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

All the agents and private QB coaches tell them that. Every single aspect of it is scripted. From Caleb being overly friendly with his teammates to Jayden wearing a hoodie with his teammates name and number to whatever Maye will be doing. It’s all calculated and deliberate. 

Agree..I .just still dont get the Mcarthy smiley face. white P.J. ensemble he wore at his pro day though.

• Like 1