Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

16 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Footwork will be a concern and how quickly can he be ready to start the season. Either I heard or read that he needs to sit for a year. Don't think that will fly well with the fans if that has to happen. 

You don't think inexperience with making NFL level throws is a concern? 

@SoCalSkins

I don't expect change b4 the season. Change aint instant.

Every problem labeled on every prospect is something I expect to see in the earlier parts of all of their careers. The question is whether they can overcome them in time

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You don't think inexperience with making NFL level throws is a concern? 

Let's ask Google. :) 

Generative AI is experimental. Learn more

According to WalterFootball.com, Drake Maye has accuracy, which is the most important attribute for a passer. Maye is also considered a special vertical passer, with an adjusted accuracy score boosted by his accuracy down the field. In 2023, Maye was on target 52.5% of the time on 122 balls thrown 15-plus yards, with a catchable ball 67.5% of the time. Maye also has the poise, instincts, and accuracy to get the ball to his desired spots, and his ball placement on throws to the intermediate and deep levels of the field stands out. 

However, Jayden Daniels is considered a better natural thrower than Jackson, and was one of the most accurate passers in football throwing to all three levels. In 2023, Daniels was extremely accurate despite attempting a lot of deep throws. 
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, NOLA2DC said:

I don't disagree that arm strength is important, but I just remind folks that many great QBs don't have canons. Leaf had a bigger arm than Peyton, and Brady wasn't known for having one, either. There is a reason that most QBs are warned against throwing to the other side of the field while scrambling. It is almost like saying I want the biggest, most powerful engine, but you don't care about how the car handles in the turns. A hellcat or sact pack will dominate an M5 in a drag race but get embarrassed on a twisting track. Purdy doesn't have a big arm but almost always makes the right decision to go with the ball, so the arm strength thing,to me, is not as important as the ability and decision-making.     

I covered all of this in my post, because it is the first thing anyone says about arm strength. I know, and expanded on the topic beyond this entry-level criticism of the point. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

That's why Daniels is such a rare breed. He is exactly that.

Practically all these other "uber level" dual threat QBs that come out of college are runners that you hope could develop into at least decent passers.

Daniels is already beyond that. He is a pocket passer who can run.

Dude just put up one of the most prolific passing seasons in FBS history entirely from the pocket.

I could basically count on one hand the amount of prospects that have displayed both the aptitude and production in both passing and rushing on the level JD has.

The thing I like most about JD is that if you take away Daniels X factor, he's still a good prospect. Mechanically refined, progression proven, wildly prolific and great decision making as a passer. Gimmie that all day.

Except he’s not making difficult NFL throws most of the time or dealing with much adversity in the pocket at all. So it remains to be seen if he’s actually a legitimate threat as a pocket passer in the NFL. He’s is an incredible threat around the edge as a runner, but he doesn’t really buy time in the pocket and use his legs to let guys get open when there IS some adversity—he makes the decision that he’s done in the pocket and he bails. Way more often than he’ll be able to survive in the NFL. It is a legitimate question how he’ll handle a less clean NFL pocket with tighter windows downfield. Let’s see how much Daniels immaculate footwork aids him when he’s got NFL sumo wrestlers crashing around his legs every single snap.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, zCommander said:

According to WalterFootball.com, Drake Maye has accuracy, which is the most important attribute for a passer. Maye is also considered a special vertical passer, with an adjusted accuracy score boosted by his accuracy down the field. In 2023, Maye was on target 52.5% of the time on 122 balls thrown 15-plus yards, with a catchable ball 67.5% of the time. Maye also has the poise, instincts, and accuracy to get the ball to his desired spots, and his ball placement on throws to the intermediate and deep levels of the field stands out. 

However, Jayden Daniels is considered a better natural thrower than Jackson, and was one of the most accurate passers in football throwing to all three levels. In 2023, Daniels was extremely accurate despite attempting a lot of deep throws. 

You literally just ignored my question in one of the most hilariously roundabout ways possible. Have you watched his tape and cutups?

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Let’s absolutely not. 

I don’t speak for anyone but myself, but I’ve been consistently calling people out for any posts leaning on AI, ChatGPT, etc.

Quote any sources considered through the lens of your human eyes and mind as much as you want, imo. But this is a forum for the human thoughts of Washington football fans (and select others). Not the lazy bull**** AI devilry that is ruining the internet. 

AI generated “thoughts” from LLM’s like this (that are really just slowly deteriorating, increasingly incestuous copy + pastes from unvetted search results) are already starting to choke the remaining usefulness out of the internet. We don’t need to help it along. Post your own well-considered thoughts, or your own summaries of other vetted sources, please. 

imo. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You literally just ignored my question in one of the most hilariously roundabout ways possible. Have you watched his tape and cutups?

18 minutes ago, Conn said:

Let’s absolutely not. 

I don’t speak for anyone but myself, but I’ve been consistently calling people out for any posts leaning on AI, ChatGPT, etc.

Quote any sources considered through the lens of your human eyes and mind as much as you want, imo. But this is a forum for the human thoughts of Washington football fans (and select others). Not the lazy bull**** AI devilry that is ruining the internet. 

AI generated “thoughts” from LLM’s like this (that are really just slowly deteriorating, increasingly incestuous copy + pastes from unvetted search results) are already starting to choke the remaining usefulness out of the internet. We don’t need to help it along. Post your own well-considered thoughts, or your own summaries of other vetted sources, please. 

imo. 

I am working on a project and mistertim needed an answer lol Btw, AI is designed by humans :P 

Okay I did find this. Thoughts on this guys perspective then?

To be honest, I haven't drilled down as much I do. I have been extremely busy with my biz. I have only watched a few clips here and there and read mostly from people who have done the breakdown when I do have 5 mins. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I am working on a project and mistertim needed an answer lol Btw, AI is designed by humans :P 

Okay I did find this. Thoughts on this guys perspective then?

To be honest, I haven't drilled down as much I do. I have been extremely busy with my biz. I have only watched a few clips here and there and read mostly from people who have done the breakdown when I do have 5 mins. 

Did you read @Voice_of_Reason's breakdown on here? He literally went through every single throw in games for Maye and Daniels.

• Like 1

It just dawned on me that it’s always the same posters in the QB thread…the quarterbacks they talk about might change over the years but it’s the same posters getting their hands dirty in here. 

It’s like turning on the Young & Restless after a years long hiatus and seeing Victor Newman still doing his thing. 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It just dawned on me that it’s always the same posters in the QB thread…the quarterbacks they talk about might change over the years but it’s the same posters getting their hands dirty in here. 

It’s like turning on the Young & Restless after a years long hiatus and seeing Victor Newman still doing his thing. 😆

As the QB position is more important than any other player's position it is natural to talk about the QB. Also with the QB there is so much debate to be had. Like, was it a wobbly ball, underthrown, overthrown, reading coverages and blah blah blah... and then I get to breakout my screenshots and the madness, I mean the enlightenment, just continues lol

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Since Howell is gone, he should be completely removed from title???

It’s #2 draft pick and Mariotta and From.

You bothered to put a period at the end but not the 2nd m. It is Fromm and not From.. sheeeshhh :P 

Edited by zCommander

4 minutes ago, zCommander said:

You bothered to put a period at the end but not the 2nd m. It is Fromm and not From.. sheeeshhh :P 

I mean, if we're going to get all spelly and stuff, who is "MariotTa"? 😋

• Haha 1

Chicago will trade with us and get #2, a this years 3rd, next years 1st, and Jamin Davis. We will get Caleb and a 5th from them for this year.

Then Chicago trades back again and gets pretty much whatever they want from the raiders. Maybe 3 1sts and a 2nd this year

It’ll come out that Caleb wanted to come to Washington, but it’ll actually be a mutual decision that Caleb’s dad and the Bears GM orchestrated together so that the bears GM can save face if they don’t make the playoffs this year. Make Eberflus the scapegoat so that Poles can keep his job another year. He will sell the owner own all his great deals, getting them so many great young players and draft capital and then sign Dak next year.

This only works if the league is scripted 

Edited by mac8887

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Except he’s not making difficult NFL throws most of the time or dealing with much adversity in the pocket at all. So it remains to be seen if he’s actually a legitimate threat as a pocket passer in the NFL.

He did well when tasked with doing those NFL passes. He just didn't have to do it as often.

This isnt exactly a situation were he struggled.

It remains to be seen if any of them can be legitimate passers in the NFL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

He did well when tasked with doing those NFL passes. He just didn't have to do it as often.

This isnt exactly a situation were he struggled.

It remains to be seen if any of them can be legitimate passers in the NFL.

I love that he’s thrown for over 70% completion rate the last 2 years while not turning the ball over. He is a great pocket passer. I’m really excited to see how he turns out, even if he doesn’t come here. Not going to root for him if he is somewhere else but will pay attention though. We’ve never really seen a dual threat qb come out off college that is that great throwing in the pocket, and with such sound mechanics.

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Those professing that Maye's stellar "Big Time Throw Rate" gives him a definitive edge over Daniels might want to reconsider that argument...

Its not a bad thing to have a high BTT rate.

If its a problem then it is for Jayden's too cuz he was higher than Maye with 8.4 last season

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

JJ has been my QB2 since the beginning, so I don't care. Especially if we get another first or two with him.

I wish this was possible, but if he is the guy you gotta select him at #2.  

He wont get past 5 or 6, especially if Minny is making a move up and I have a feeling there are teams that nobody is expecting plotting and scheming to move up. 

It’s either move up for Caleb, or stay put at 2 and take the proven winner in JJ. 

Just my 2¢ based on watching way too much college and nfl football for the past 25 yrs 😂

• Like 1

Someone on ESPN, I forget who, pointed towards Mariota as having the same skill set as Daniels, which perhaps indicates the FO is leaning towards drafting Daniels. That way if Daniels goes out the offense doesn't lose much timing or cohesion. That's why I think they are going to draft Daniels. 

I don't have an opinion either way who is better between Maye or Daniels, haven't seen them play. Will check some clips eventually. 

• Like 1