Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Jake Fromm fromm the previous regime...  I presume he's gotta be replaced by a KK disciple, or unless the system is easy peasy and experience in his system is less important maybe he sticks around as a non threatening option at QB... I assume we can proclaim our offense as air raid officially.

frank.gif

Edited by RandyHolt

35 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m not that convinced Keim is as plugged in as you think. However, he does seem the best of the bunch.

I’d also say that a trade up is not abandoning any ship really. If we currently have 24 picks over the next 3 drafts, a trade would make that say 21, still plenty. Plus you move on Howell etc. Plus the rep on Peters is his mid/late round hits.

It’s an exaggerated view point to suggest a trade up is abandoning a ‘build through the draft’ strategy. It would be a move now to get the best QB. Chances are you don’t face such a decision again for many years. 

Just like FA, it’s a ‘now’ approach to sign probably 20 players because that is the best plan for right now. It won’t be a long term approach. Likely doesn’t happen again with this regime.

Same logic applies to the draft. 

Keim at a minimum isn't a BSer.  If he says he heard this, he's heard it.  And its never just one source with him.  So for him to be wrong, the people in the FO would have played him.   It could happen but it hasn't happened yet.   He's from what I can tell has been the only reporter plugged into this ownership group aside from Sheehan.

You'd have to give up in all likelihood, your first this year, first next, probably a 2nd this year.     I didn't say it abandons a build for the draft strategy.  I said for THIS draft, Keim's heard from multiple people that they are really excited to use the draft capital that they have so he'd very surprised if they abandoned that thought for Caleb. 

So many factors would have to come in to play.

A.  How do we know that they are in love with Caleb at #1?

B.  How do we know they don't think Maye or Daniels isn't close talent wise? 

C.  How do we know Caleb is lying when he said multiple times he would be happy to play with the Bears?

D.  How do we know Caleb wants to play here?

E.  How do we know Keim is wrong -- it doesn't happen that often among other beat guys here

F.   How do we know that the Bear reporters are wrong

Anything is possible.  Maybe all the tea leaves, including Keim, could have been wrong months back that they weren't going to hire Belichick and Russini conversely could have been right that they were hot for him.  She was wrong.  And the majority of tea leaves were right on that.  But once in a blue moon the majority is wrong and the outlier report or two is right.  But as for the odds, i am not betting on the outliers right now.  To each their own on that.  For me, I'd need a credible reporter like Breer, Schefter or Keim jumping in and saying it has a good chance of happening.  But that's me. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Keep it simple. That's all I'll say.

How’s things Ron, you keeping well ?

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To each their own on that.  For me, I'd need a credible reporter like Breer, Schefter or Keim jumping in and saying it has a good chance of happening.  But that's me. 

Good post, and yep until something remotely credible filters out then it’s guess work and presumption. Time will tell.

13 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Ok, so what about the 49ers drafting Brock Purdy after trading a king's ransom for Trey Lance and having traded for Garappolo? Packers drafting Aaron Rodgers when Favre was on the roster, and later trading up for Jordan Love when ARod was league MVP? Those ended up being franchise saving moves. The only difference nowadays is that you can't stash a guy on your roster for 6 or 7 years as insurance.

Drake Maye is just as likely to be Mitch Trubisky as he is Justin Herbert.  We haven't drafted a winning QB in the first round since 1937, and that's despite pissing away 7 first rounders in the last 25 years.  I don't see Mariota as any kind of improvement over Howell, not to mention he won't stay healthy for more than 3 games a year.  So, yeah, I would have preferred leaving Howell as a backup and picking a project on day 3.

What a field day for the heat....a thousand people in the street......

9 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Idk what's going to happen but I'd bet Magic Johnson is checking in with Caleb's father. Not tampering at all - just business.

Honestly, Magic is going to tweet any day now that the Commanders need to trade their draft pick for Patrick Mahomes. Magic ain't into nuance. (Or condoms).

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I'll die on the hill opposing the theory that it kills a highly touted rookies career, if there is another youngish QB on the roster.  We hear experts support the 1 QB theory every year. Gotta trade Howell if we take a QB. Can anyone ever recall a proven QB say being handed the job was what made him succeed? Or a failed QB, blame a younger lessor QB on the roster for his failure? Is there any proof? It seems all psychological, so if you aint a sports psychologist understand why I climb my hill waiting for proof to knock me off. 

Did Howell babysit your kids?

What the **** is going on here?

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

8 hours ago, oraphus said:

guys cmon... i mean yes, a hundred different things can happen. We could draft a qb at #2, but he breaks his leg going up to the podium and Mariota gets hit by car.. so Howell starts the season as the only QB on the roster 🤪

I am just looking at the most likely scenario and one that makes the most common sense....i guess i can be completely off base, but I doubt it, time will tell.

its between these 2 options to me:

They compete, but we still carry 3 qbs into the season.

We trade Howell pre or post draft.

*** and i highly doubt we get anything more than a 5th for him.

My point is that they know what they have in Mariota, there is plenty of tape and they did not bring him in to compete... they brought him to be the 1st string backup..and possibly even start the first few games if the rookie struggles. Its a 6mil min contract with up to 10mil (with incentives), thats a high end backup contract. You dont make that kind of commitment to a guy you dont expect to be pencilled in as the backup QB. its not like Harris has 6-10mil burning a whole in his pocket and he just wants to spend it on something.. and yachts are just not that cool anymore.

Also, this regime didnt draft Howell.. so they have no loyalty to him and based on the roster purge we saw over the last few weeks... they might want to send him packing as well.

Sure, i guess its possible that if Howell is on the roster in training camp and finds his inner Brady over the summer and looks so damn impressive in training camp, that he wins the job outright...  but i dont see it. (happy to be wrong though)   .. and i dont see his presence undermining a top drafted rookie, not even remotely... as a 5th rd pick that didnt play well he is basically a nobody on this roster.

Generally speaking, I’m with you in that I think the best odds are that Mariota is going to be our backup this year.  But you also kind of make my point - Mariota might be penciled in as the backup, but I don’t think it’s in pen yet… especially if his contract doesn’t have much/any guaranteed money (hence my previous post starting with that question).  Howell is much more of an unknown to the staff, so it makes sense to bring in a guy you trust/know that you know/believe can ably fill the backup role.

I know it’s a different situation (nowhere near apples to apples), but to me, in terms of mindset, it’s a little like us bringing in Fowler as our #3 DE.  We have Henry/Jones on board, and it’s possible one of them can jump Fowler on the depth chart, but the staff wasn’t ready to make the assumption those two would fit the role because they haven’t worked with them or seen enough on tape to be sure about them. 

On a slight tangent, the reason I’d hold onto Howell for now (not trading him for a 5th or less)

- he’s got a lot of plus factors: arm talent, toughness, mobility, etc, as well as putting some good things on tape (along with a lot of bad)

- he was in a horrendous situation

- this offense may well be right in his wheelhouse

- the statement SIP always mentions about Arians not knowing what you have until they’re in the building… if I were Peters, Quinn, or Kliff, I’d be curious what Howell’s like in terms of intangibles - ability to learn, processing speed, etc.

On a bigger tangent, I’m really curious about how Peters meeting with Howell played out…

• Like 1

This is not sarcasm: I find the amount of Howell talk on this thread shocking. 

It just occurred to me that you all watched a lot more football last year than I did. You watched him get sacked 112 times and developed an emotional bond. I did a lot of yard work on Sundays last year. I regret nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by that Athletic article, Caleb's dad is likely driving the don't do the medicals, don't bother with pro days, etc.

Why should he do anything? Including any visits to teams he doesn’t want to play for. He will get a slotted contract as the top overall pick regardless. It’s a massive artificial cap over his earning potential and a slight increase over his NIL money at USC. He will do the pro day to help his college teammates, otherwise he doesn’t need to do that either. 

He doesn’t have an agent in his ear telling him what the norms and customs are. Chicago can choose to draft him without any medical information or visits. That’s their decision to make. Caleb is not obligated to spend a minute of his time with them or provide them any medical exams/history.  

The Chicago owner is the 101 year old daughter of George Halas. Preferring to play for Harris, Magic, Rales and the others is not unreasonable. Particularly for a guy who has delusions of becoming a billionaire himself. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This is not sarcasm: I find the amount of Howell talk on this thread shocking. 

Ok Swiftie.

I am not a Howell apologist. The simple facts are he's on a cheapass rookie deal, so it costs almost nothing to keep him as insurance. Our GM was part of a brain trust that traded 3 #1s to draft Trey Lance, so having a backup plan that's more than just one mediocre journeyman who is brittle af.

• Like 3

Ran across this and wanted to share it. 

Dual tragedies to our starting qbs, seperated by time and space, yet linked together forever.

I vaguely remember a few of these "coincidences" but seeing them all together is stunning and  depressing...

If this was a plot in a novel I'd dismiss it as preposterous. Sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction. 

"There are more things in heaven and earth...than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't care too much.  If Caleb's dad tells him to blow off medicals and pro days, etc, he can pull it off because its not mandatory.  But as for stuff like opposing the rookie wage scale or wanting ownership percentage or whatever, his dad can press for it but it won't matter because it goes against NFL rules.

I think maybe 1% chance tops Caleb ends up here.  I agree with you that this regime is aggressive.  And i like that.  But we don't know if they are hopped up on Caleb.  That's a mystery.  But it also takes two to tango for a trade of course.

Michael Wilbon (who is close to some of the ownership group and the Williams family) insinuated that they are indeed "hopped up on Caleb".

Doesn't mean they will make a move up to get him but they know what's up...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Michael Wilbon (who is close to some of the ownership group and the Williams family) insinuated that they are indeed "hopped up on Caleb".

Doesn't mean they will make a move up to get him but they know what's up...

I know some suspect they are.  But he said he knows for a fact they are?  If so, cool.  But I haven't seen Wilbon as even remotely an insider with this team for years unless his source is Magic. 

58 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Why should he do anything? Including any visits to teams he doesn’t want to play for. He will get a slotted contract as the top overall pick regardless. It’s a massive artificial cap over his earning potential and a slight increase over his NIL money at USC. He will do the pro day to help his college teammates, otherwise he doesn’t need to do that either. 

He doesn’t have an agent in his ear telling him what the norms and customs are. Chicago can choose to draft him without any medical information or visits. That’s their decision to make. Caleb is not obligated to spend a minute of his time with them or provide them any medical exams/history.  

The Chicago owner is the 101 year old daughter of George Halas. Preferring to play for Harris, Magic, Rales and the others is not unreasonable. Particularly for a guy who has delusions of becoming a billionaire himself. 

I don't care what Caleb does or doesn't do in the draft process.   He can TP Halas' house or Harris' for all am concerned.

Simply saying if the idea is to convince Caleb to bail on the Bears, Caleb's dad might be the biggest needle mover on this.  

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some suspect they are.  But he said he knows for a fact they are?  If so, cool.  But I haven't seen Wilbon as even remotely an insider with this team for years unless his source is Magic. 

Wouldn't be shocked if Wilbon is friendly with Rales and Ein as well.

Heck, not to mention the obvious NBA connection (Harris).

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

42 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Ran across this and wanted to share it. 

Dual tragedies to our starting qbs, seperated by time and space, yet linked together forever.

I vaguely remember a few of these "coincidences" but seeing them all together is stunning and  depressing...

Joe had a secretary named Kennedy and Alex had a secretary named Lincoln.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Wilbon is close to Rales and Ein as well.

Heck, not to mention the obvious NBA connection (Harris).

Of all the mentions that we don't know them liking Caleb as wildcard -- seems to be the most intuitive one that they probably do since judging by leaks all teams like him for him the most part.  The more operative question from their point of view for me is do they like him by a mile over Daniels - Maye?  Because to do anything to move up would also I presume mean they think it's a major difference with the next 2 or so QBs in the draft.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

It is if you take it too seriously. I mean, read the thread recently. Perhaps lighten up?

It can be both. I wasn't taking it too seriously, but even given that it's still pretty dumb.

• Thumb down 1