Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Can certainly understand your concern. He is 6’4 though just slight of build. Go look at Lamar while at Louisville. One thing I will say is JD5 isn’t damaged goods coming out of college like RG3 was. I think Penix is the closest comparison to RG3. Insane talent but a huge injury risk. 

Dont think RG3 was damaged goods until we got hold of him.

Just now, BayouBrave86 said:

Can certainly understand your concern. One thing I will say is JD5 isn’t damaged goods coming out of college like RG3 was. I think Penix is the closest comparison to RG3. Insane talent but a huge injury risk. 

Penix and rg3 have totally different games though, rg3 had the torn acl in college but by all accounts it was healed and he still had his insane athleticism so the scare was less than had he torn his acl his senior year or something. 

Rg3 as we all know was electrifying his rookie year, and there's almost no doubt in my mind we could repeat that next year with daniels if we wanted to.

But the fear is obviously sustainability And can he develop his arm talent enough to beat teams without his legs if the day comes where the athleticism is not there.

Rg3 as we know couldn't even be serviceable without his legs.

can daniels? I don't know, they aren't the same person or player but they have an awful lot of similarities for me to be worried. 

16 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

You're just hoping we've forgotten you spent your first 10 years here in Tailgate talking about the wrong kind of football 😋

I only did that when I wanted to piss GHH off :rofl89:

25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It's pretty easy to go to someone's profile and do a quick search.

I guess it is, if you are that way minded I suppose.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

And I'm also still a little gun shy on a slightly undersized quarterback with good but questionable arm talent, electric leg talent who had one good year in a tough conference and won the Heisman trophy as a result. 

The parallels between daniels and rg3 are all there.

Doesn't mean they'll have the same career arc but it scares me is all.

The pushback here would be that he had a good year his first year at LSU 16 pass tds, 11 rush tds, to only 3 ints, while completing over 70% of his passes.

What he did last year was closer to amazing than good. 40 pass tds, 10 rush tds, to only 4 ints while completing over 70% of his passes.

It's not like he was a 1 year wonder. While you'd like to see more than 16 passing tds in a season, while adding the 11 rushing tds to only 3 picks while completing over 70% of his passes, I think we can all agree that it is a good season.

21 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I hope if hes the guy that he doesnt go back to his ASU form

His career at ASU (2 seasons + 4 covid year games)

Passing Yards: 5670

Completion Percentage: 63%

Total TDs: 44

INTs: 13

Rushing Yards: 1212

Just now, mac8887 said:

The pushback here would be that he had a good year his first year at LSU 16 pass tds, 11 rush tds, to only 3 ints, while completing over 70% of his passes.

What he did last year was closer to amazing than good. 40 pass tds, 10 rush tds, to only 4 ints while completing over 70% of his passes.

It's not like he was a 1 year wonder. While you'd like to see more than 16 passing tds in a season, while adding the 11 rushing tds to only 3 picks while completing over 70% of his passes, I think we can all agree that it is a good season.

It’s basically the same story as Burrow. First year getting acclimated to the new system and then LIFT OFF the second season. Saw flashes of his ability his first season at LSU against Florida and Alabama and everyone was praying that he could put it together for a full season and we would win a national title and he would probably win the Heisman. Did the majority of us anticipate him taking that leap like Burrow did? No, not really if I’m being honest. It’s so frustrating we had the worst defense in my lifetime to pair with the historic season last year. I was extremely frustrated with Jayden his first season because he didn’t trust his receivers. But he was also throwing to Boutte too and come to find out that guy was betting on games :lol:But he proved me and a lot of others wrong. 

1 minute ago, BayouBrave86 said:

I think the best comparison to Daniels is Lamar. He’s probably going to sustain injured like Lamar if we are being honest, but he is also Gumby like in that he is a rubber band man. :lol: 

Fair enough, I think they're both good comparisons and daniels career could go either way.

• Like 1

Just now, redskinss said:

Fair enough, I think they're both good comparisons and daniels career could go either way.

100% agree. Boom potential is a Lamar that can actually sling the rock and that type of player is taking the NFL by storm. Worst case is he gets injured and fizzles out quickly. 

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yes it worked awful for Burrow. And the flip side of this (making excuses for poor or little play in their final season) is Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Sam Howell, etc

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

:ols:

@ThatNFLChick now even calling out a fellow Disciple of Daniels when posting anything negative about him.

I don't really pay attention to who posts what the way a lot of yall seem to, I just respond to posts I see

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Color me shocked that Daniels people heard "That must be Jayden Daniels!" in Kingsbury's comments.  :ols:

Yeah Keim talked about this today on the Junkies.  He said he could be talking about either one.

Keim got into making a point similar to the one I like to make -- which must mean its true. :ols:.  That is, if Daniels can run like he did in college and protect himself, then he's probably the guy.  But the idea that he can protect himself is a major wildcard-uncertainty the way he plays -- he doesn't slide, etc. 

So he feels this can go either way as to Maye and Daniels.  He said when he's asked right now for mocks he says Maye.  But he thinks anything is possible.  Junkies asked him to bet on one and he couldn't do it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I didn't see anything in Kliff's presser that tipped his hand. He took things off the table (and by doing so put into question anything still on it) more than anything.

Its why I shifted to 50/50 mode.

I have no idea what they want to do as an O so we don't know what they will target. They want to build our strategy geared towards the strength of the personnel we don't have in place yet given the large amount of roster turnover that has yet to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Keim talked about this today on the Junkies.  He said he could be talking about either one.

Keim got into making a point similar to the one I like to make -- which must mean its true. :ols:.  That is, if Daniels can run like he did in college and protect himself, then he's probably the guy.  But the idea that he can protect himself is a major wildcard-uncertainty the way he plays -- he doesn't slide, etc. 

So he feels this can go either way as to Maye and Daniels.  He said when he's asked right now for mocks he says Maye.  But he thinks anything is possible.  Junkies asked him to bet on one and he couldn't do it.

Yup, as an aside I have a pet peave with Keim.  He takes sooooo long to get a point across when he's on The Junkies.  It's why I like to listen to him as guest on radio shows because they give him more time and he's much more open to giving opinions!  LOL

• Like 1

Just now, HigSkin said:

Yup, as an aside I have a pet peave with Keim.  He takes sooooo long to get a point across when he's on The Junkies.  It's why I like to listen to him as guest on radio shows because they give him more time and he's much more open to giving opinions!  LOL

Your right, I still like him though, hes always so guarded in responses, but when he does deal in absolutes hes money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I didn't see anything in Kliff's presser that tipped his hand. He took things off the table (and by doing so put into question anything still on it) more than anything.

Its why I shifted to 50/50 mode.

I have no idea what they want to do as an O so we don't know what they will target. They want to build our strategy geared towards the strength of the personnel we don't have in place yet given the large amount of roster turnover that has yet to happen.

This is an incredible opportunity, how often does an organization get a free pass leading into a total team reset with draft capital, cap and an ownership group ready to do what it takes. They could go in any direction they please at this point. Not hamstrung to any single player, philosophy etc.

• Like 2

Just now, mistertim said:

I like Keim too, but sometimes he's harder to nail down than Jell-O. 

The team don’t know yet - so much of the process still to come. So even if John had a direct line to Peter’s he couldn’t know either.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

100% agree. Boom potential is a Lamar that can actually sling the rock and that type of player is taking the NFL by storm. Worst case is he gets injured and fizzles out quickly. 

Lamar is an excellent quarterback, he was actually my fantasy quarterback this year so I got a pretty good look at him all year and he had a great year but is he taking the nfl by storm?

Is that the type of player that's taking the nfl by storm?

I wouldn't compare him and mahomes (who is taking the nfl by storm) at all.

Lamar is still a very effective runner despite not being as electric as he once was and he's very efficient passing the ball but does he elevate the team or does his dual threat ability make him look like a better passer than he really is because it's so much harder to defend Thereby opening up holes in the defense that otherwise might not be there for a pure pocket passer.

Now that's not intended to be a knock on Lamar, his dual threat ability being a liability for the secondary and making it easier for him to pass is a huge asset but when a defense is able to take the running away and still guard the zones in the defense like Kansas city did or when you inevitably lose that electric ability with your legs you tend to get exposed more than someone who just picks apart your defense with his pure arm talent.

Even if you only go back 20 years the championship level quarterback conversation is still dominated by guys who shred defenses with their arms and minds than with their legs.

Now if a guy ever comes out with Lamars legs marinos arm and Bradys mind, that dude is gonna win 20 championships but until that day comes I'm still in the mindset that pure arm talent trumps dual threat when it comes to winning championships.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1