Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That team like ours if they can just get average QB play.  good play makers, Garrett Wilson is a stud, good defense.

Zach from a maturity standpoint seems like a clown.

I mean hopefully he means "He's going to have to compete his ass off every day to beat me out"

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

I mean hopefully he means "He's going to have to compete his ass off every day to beat me out"

I think he meant he was going to go on dates with that dude’s mom and give him the play-by-play every week 

• Haha 5

Wouldn’t be surprised if Zach Wilson is given the ol heave ho soon. Mike White is better and they will look to a vet. Wilson is essentially useless.

Heinicke is at least a quality human and has the locker room behind him. 

Wilson is the anti-Heinicke.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Zach Wilson is given the ol heave ho soon. Mike White is better and they will look to a vet. Wilson is essentially useless.

Can't be a douche and suck. Gotta ball to get away with that.

Even still Wilson comes off as a maximum level douche and with nothing to validate your existence, NFL clubs will kick ya to the curb real quick.

I assume he has some coaching connection that might get him another shot somewhere, but outside of that its hard to see where he would end up.

I'm more fascinated by the 49ers situation. Not that I expect anyone to shake free, just morbidly curious how they choose to move forward next year.

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

who's gonna be spot filler QBs for teams until the QBs of the future are ready/acquired?

Got to figure that Carson Wentz and Sam Darnold have used their final chances at that role

I really don't understand why Howell can't be that guy for 23? There is no way he could be any worse than Wentz or have less moxie than TH. I am so done with someone's else's trash. Who should be the backup though? I really don't care. 

But if you put a gun to my head I would go with Baker and Howell as the backup of course. Other highly named QBs are going to require lots of money and we can't ignore the lines because of it again. Stop the hamster wheel, please!

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

I really don't understand why Howell can't be that guy for 23? There is no way he could be any worse than Wentz or have less moxie than TH. I am so done with someone's else's tras Who should be the backup though? I really don't care. 

But if you put a gun to my head I would go with Baker and Howell as the backup of course. Other highly named QBs are going to require lots of money and we can't ignore the lines because of it again. Stop the hamster wheel, please!

Whats funny is that Baker was universally Howell’s NFL comp predraft

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I really don't understand why Howell can't be that guy for 23? There is no way he could be any worse than Wentz or have less moxie than TH. I am so done with someone's else's trash.

Its not something I see take place a lot around the NFL recently. I'm trying to think of other low cost QBs around the NFL that were allowed to start the season with little to no XP. 

Usually in order for low cost guys to get that designation, they will first play a good stretch of games that then allows the FO a span of play to grade. Something akin to Davis Mills. Maybe it happens for Purdy, but again he has had the opportunity to show a baseline of work over several games.

Young guys who cost a lot are given the chance to be week 1 starters all the time, in part b/c their cost needs to be justified, but how many low cost guys with little to no XP have gotten the oppo recently?

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just not sure I see a pathway to Howell starting week 1 that does not involve either injury, or a legitimate QB competition with a participant who is qualified for the position.

That throw by Howell also was an example of throwing a WR open.  Watch how tight the coverage is when the ball is thrown versus when McLaurin caught it.  Howell throws it to where McLaurin can accelerate, run away from the DB to track down. He was even mildly interfered with as he began to separate from the DB. That is a big difference from him slowing down to adjust.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Its not something I see take place a lot around the NFL recently. I'm trying to think of other low cost QBs around the NFL that were allowed to start the season with little to no XP. 

Usually in order for low cost guys to get that designation, they will first play a good stretch of games that then allows the FO a span of play to grade. Something akin to Davis Mills. Maybe it happens for Purdy, but again he has had the opportunity to show a baseline of work over several games.

Young guys who cost a lot are given the chance to be week 1 starters all the time, in part b/c their cost needs to be justified, but how many low cost guys with little to no XP have gotten the oppo recently?

I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just not sure I see a pathway to Howell starting week 1 that does not involve either injury, or a legitimate QB competition with a participant who is qualified for the position.

Normal no. All I am hoping they are willing to roll with Howell despite where he was selected. I would imagine they knew Howell was ranked a lot higher like a 1st rounder or worst a 2nd rounder. Give him a year to prove them wrong. If he doesn't work out then the QB class of 23 will be a lot better than what it was this past draft.  

Also, the sale of the team and the transition period should allow Ron to do things differently as I would imagine Dan is not going to be paying high end money for a QB when he is selling and not buying. 

It's only a formality away until he's a free agent, but this is the look of a man who's got a gun rack on his pickup truck at home, he's just waiting the for the game clock to hit 0, and then he's swinging by the minute market to pick up a 12 pack before hitting the road for a long awaited camping trip with the dog, the deer, and the sweet outdoors.

Good bye, Carson. I like you. I won't miss you.

Untitled.png.e518bc4ad27aff6dc9d56986f53d196d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

The only time I can think of a low cost dude starting a season was Trevor Siemian the season after Manning and Osweiler walked. I can't think of any other time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

The only time I can think of a low cost dude starting a season was Trevor Siemian the season after Manning and Osweiler walked. I can't think of any other time.

Matt Cassell maybe? if I’m remembering correctly, he started when Brady was injured 

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

After looking it up he was named the starter after the third pre season game during a offseason QB competition with Mark Sanchez and Paxton Lynch(R).

https://web.archive.org/web/20170407184913/http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Trevor-Siemian-will-be-the-Broncos-starting-quarterback/06f464ae-251a-4480-a4c1-d77797dd3980

I will take that as a suitable example, with the caveat that he was not handed the job and instead won it in a legitimate QB Comp.

If Howell gets the chance to be the opening day starter, that is the only feasible pathway I can see it going down outside of injury.

8 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Matt Cassell maybe? if I’m remembering correctly, he started when Brady was injured 

Matt joined the Pats in 2005 and started his first week 1 in 2010. By then he had been inserted or started a bunch of games for the Pats so they had the opportunity to see him both in game and over a span of 5 years before he was ever given the nod to start week 1.

He did come in for Brady b/c of injury in a week 1 game (I'm thinking that's what your remembering) but that is not being tabbed to start.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zCommander said:

I really don't understand why Howell can't be that guy for 23? There is no way he could be any worse than Wentz or have less moxie than TH. I am so done with someone's else's trash. Who should be the backup though? I really don't care. 

I was speaking for the league in general

• Thumb up 1

I don’t think a precedent matters for a QB starting. Is he the best QB you have? Did he grow throughout the year despite not being given many chances? Is the cost:potential ratio better for the team than going after a vet who will cost many more assets/picks?

If the answers are yes, precedent doesn’t matter. 

Having said that, I think they bring in a mid tier vet like Brissett to complete for the job.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Rusell Wilson did it as a 3rd round rookie in 2012. Prescott got the job in 2016.  Those are the ones that are semi-recent in my mind

41 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Rusell Wilson did it as a 3rd round rookie in 2012. Prescott got the job in 2016.  Those are the ones that are semi-recent in my mind

I thought about those but I waived them off in my head due to injuries. Anything can happen as a result of those.

Prescott got the nod after multiple QBs in front of him got injured. Romo went down in like preseason week 3 so they had no time to go in other tangible directions, they had to roll with what they had. Without that he has no shot.

Wilson did win a QB battle for the job but there was something off about Flynn health wise. He missed some time in pre season, which helped Russ win the job, and even into the regular season Coach Carroll had Flynn on a "pitch count" in practice even thru week 5 because they were unsure of how he would respond to a normal workload. They said they were confident he could step in if needed, but they had him do very little in practice. If you have doubts about the health of your QB, that opens the door for a Russ situation.

https://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2012/10/1/3440614/seattle-seahawks-quarterback-matt-flynn

At the very least Russ was not handed the job. He had to go out and win a QB comp to get it and was not named the starter until just b4 the season.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1