Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

13 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why didn't we have a competition this offseason? Why was Wentz given the role? Its a history with this team. Whether its Ron or Dan or Jay making these decisions, we have a bunch of chosen guys who are put into the starting roles and its like they can mess up all they want cause it will take an act of God to bench them

Wentz - named starter with no competition

Fitz - named starter with no competition

Haskins - named starter with no competition

Keenum - named starter with no competition

Smith - named starter with no competition

Cousins - named starter with no comptition

We have to go back to 2014 to get to a real QB competition. Now, Cousins was good from 2015-2017 so I'm not arguing about naming him the starter cause he earned it, but even the other years

Griffin - named the starter

Beck/Grossman - competition

McNabb - named the starter

Campbell - named the starter - Given he was a starter for 2+ years and had some success but he should have had to compete after coming up short repeatedly. 

Brunell - named the starter after Ramsey benched. 

So we're back to Ramsey/Wurfell/Matthews and only 2 real competition years? 

And we can keep going

George - named the starter with no competition

Johnson - named the starter with no competition

You wonder why we're in QB Hell / Purgatory and this is part of the reason. We keep bringing in these QBs from other teams and giving them starting jobs even though their resumes don't demand it. Heck, Seattle brought in a high priced FA but made him compete with Wilson and he lost. 

People wonder why I'm ok with marginal guys but I see how hard it is to find a good QB. I just want to play the best guy and bench the guy who isn't working. 

Looking over their shoulder will hurt them?  Some fans wanted RG3 to not have Cousins looking over his shoulder, glad they kept him on his rookie contract but not happy he wanted to set the market and had to go. Also not a no.1 pick or high dollar cast off of other teams. 2 no.1's failed on that list and a bunch of Cast offs failed too. Cousins was the best.

Edited by skinsfan66

Why would the players care who starts?

If people want to go with a devious plot, I'll throw something that no one I have seen has considered.

A.  The chants for Taylor.  the national media who loves Taylor and hates Wentz seem to think Taylor would have won versus the Browns.

B. Put Heinicke out there as a sacrifical lamb to the Cowboys pass rush -- and considering his previous track record and comments about the Cowboys he seems intimidated and cowed by that team.

Wentz sucks.  But why not remind people that despite what some passionate fans-national media believe -- Heinicke sucks too. 

Do I think that's the method to the madness?  nope.  But if I had to ride with some devious plot that would be the one I choose if Taylor starts. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

If Ron had not blown it with Wentz this past year and all the others before Wentz by this team sure. But I am not ready to lose needed players like Payne again.  To me QB is a need like other positions, when are they going to stop acting like a GB solves everything. This team cannot keep a QB safe right now, It's a passing league but we have a line built to run and not pass block not to mention the type of back we drafted. We need TE's who can block and catch, OL who can pass block, RB all purpose, LB depth/ starter. Not another Cap busting QB who is letting him go. Why are they letting go if he is so good? Just my opinions though. 

"Damn, I wish we had drafted OL instead" - Literally zero GMs/HCs who have drafted an elite QB.

Nobody is saying you don't need to surround a QB with weapons, but nowadays QB pretty much always comes first and basically every single team knows this fact. 

• Like 1

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Looking over their shoulder will hurt them?  Some fans wanted RG3 to not have Cousins looking over his shoulder, glad they kept him on his rookie contract but not happy he wanted to set the market and had to go. also not a no.1 pick or high dollar cast off of other teams. 2 no.1's failed on that list and a bunch of Cast offs failed too. Cousins was the best.

No, they need to be looking over their shoulder. There are special exceptions like RG3 as a rookie and wanting to give him all the reps, or Cousins in 2015 and needing to make a decision. But I think that just about every year (and I've said this in real time) we should have brought in a different guy and had a competition. The only time where I liked the situation beforehand was the Grossman / Beck situation where they both were high picks who I thought could perform in the league. I liked Keenum but thought that Gruden wasn't committed to him or Haskins and was already checked out by then. Otherwise we only are interested in other teams has beens or never weres (George, Wurfell, Matthews, Brunell, Smith, Wentz). And the fact that we gave most of them starter money and no competition doesn't make the team better, it removes the opportunity to show that we can be better with a better player under center. 

• Like 1

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Apparently Hurts is starting the final game for the Eagles, and the Giants have zero to play for, so maybe this will resign the Cowboys to rest their starters at some point?

They play at the same time. The cowboys will play to win for what ever small chance they have for the division. Dallas still has a path to the 1 seed with a win and a Minny SF and Eagles loss

I find we have a lot of fans that run with narratives that have no motive, this QB scenario is just another one on the pile.

It’s much more likely the media got it wrong or ran with something not fully vetted than it is that Ron would care so much what social media thinks, he’s going to change everything and bow down to the Tweet Mafia.

Plenty of stuff to be unhappy with Ron about of late, why not make stuff up.  🤣

25 minutes ago, Zim489 said:
I definitely think this is a big part too. Its why a HC cant be in charge. A GM has the separation from the players to make those decisions while the HC can say hey it came from above. 

278848823_ronthegm.png.064dd9f68854f45558fe85d17645ea04.png

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Giants had nothing to play for in 2016 as well against us and look what they did.

Plus, NY might still be piseed at what happened in 2020, when Hurts got benched going into the 4th, helping the Skins win and get into the playoffs. Granted, Doug Pederson is gone, but the Giants might still remember.

Finlay watching a little practice.

A. Howell taking the reps

B. Chris Paul taking first team reps at FL, Cosmi back at RT

C. No Robinson or AG, doesn't think they will play

D.  Doesn't believe players who are banged up with play on Sunday -- I assume within reason considering I bet a lot of guys are banged up

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I find we have a lot of fans that run with narratives that have no motive, this QB scenario is just another one on the pile.

It’s much more likely the media got it wrong or ran with something not fully vetted than it is that Ron would care so much what social media thinks, he’s going to change everything and bow down to the Tweet Mafia.

Plenty of stuff to be unhappy with Ron about of late, why not make stuff up.  🤣

I think so.  Because i was listening to Keim who I gather recorded his podcast yesterday and put it out before Fowler's report and already knew that Howell would play some on Sunday but didn't know how much.  Felt like he was waiting on the story otherwise why not get credit and claim the story?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I'm sure the WRs want Heinicke. They want stats. Howell is a huge risk.

Wut?

Heinicke averages like 200 yards and 1 TD per game and is horrible in the red zone. Who's stats is he padding exactly? Are you sure you didn't misspell "concussions" when you said "stats"?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Wut?

Heinicke averages like 200 yards and 1 TD per game and is horrible in the red zone. Who's stats is he padding exactly? Are you sure you didn't misspell "concussions" when you said "stats"?

Yeah if I had to pick the most annoying plotline of the week and its mostly from the national media its like we benched John Elway for Carson Wentz -- securing a sure fire loss from a sure fire win.   Wentz sucked.  But the idea that Heinicke was killing it -- I grant makes the story a lot juicier but if we are riding with the facts and killing the soap opera, that plot line is ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Going to Heinicke out of guilt for benching him and tanking the season. Ron's a hot mess trying to make up for his failures when it should 100% be Howell day. 

Is Howell going to get ANY starter reps? Probably not knowing Ron - don't want to offend Taylor.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Is Howell going to get ANY starter reps? Probably not knowing Ron - don't want to offend Taylor.

Does he start the whole game?  That's the mystery.  But as for him getting reps in that game, they all are saying slam dunk yes.  So I wouldn't bet on "probably not." 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why would the players care who starts?

If people want to go with a devious plot, I'll throw something that no one I have seen has considered.

A.  The chants for Taylor.  the national media who loves Taylor and hates Wentz seem to think Taylor would have won versus the Browns.

B. Put Heinicke out there as a sacrifical lamb to the Cowboys pass rush -- and considering his previous track record and comments versus the Cowboys he seems intimidated and cowed by that team.

Wentz sucks.  But why not remind people that despite what some passionate believe -- Heinicke sucks too. 

Do I think that's the method to the madness?  nope.  But if I had to ride with some devious plot that would be the one I choose if Taylor starts. 

Not everybody believes Taylor sucks like you do.  But everybody believes Wentz sucks including you. Taylor has won meaning full games.  He plays with what he has to work with. Who has been a better QB then him in Washington lately. Fitz sucked, Smith Sucked , Haskins sucked.......... Cousins yes.  But what did the team win? OLine better then too?  RG3 1 year. better OL then too?  Howell ? excuse NC had no  line last year.  Nobody's saying he is great but he does not suck.

I am with Russell in that losing the game is better than winning the game.  But the idea if we are endangering this but risking winning the game if they play Heinicke to me is laughable.

2 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Not everybody believes Taylor sucks like you do.  But everybody believes Wentz sucks including you. Taylor has won meaning full games.  He plays with what he has to work with. Who has been a better QB then him in Washington lately. Fitz sucked, Smith Sucked , Haskins sucked.......... Cousins yes.  But what did the team win? OLine better then too?  RG3 1 year. better OL then too?  Howell ? excuse NC had no  line last year.  Nobody's saying he is great but he does not suck.

Sucks as a starter.  Heinicke is fine as a backup.  You like the idea of Taylor starting next season?

3 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I thought signing Fitz was pointless, but his sample size of less than a half of a game precludes judgment on how he did here.

Alex Smith also won meaningful games here in 2018 before his leg got broken. You can make the argument both him and TH are game managers.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with Russell in that losing the game is better than winning the game.  But the idea if we are endangering this but risking winning the game if they play Heinicke to me is laughable.

Sucks as a starter.  Heinicke is fine as a backup.  You like the idea of Taylor starting next season?

Wow. I actually agree with Russell on something.

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Most people think Heinicke sucks. I think Wentz sucks. I think Heinicke sucks. Neither are starting NFL QBs.

Let's stop trying to put lipstick on a pig here. IIRC Heinicke had the most turnover worthy throws of any starting QB this season according to PFF, and the only reason he hasn't had 20 INTs this year is either sheer luck or pre-game pagan sacrifices.

We also won games based on a top 5 rushing attack and top 5 defense. Heinicke was mostly along for the ride and usually had about one good drive per game or a couple of fantastic plays, but was crap for the other 95% of the game. Our passing game has been horrible, regardless of the QB.

Heinicke is a good dude, good story, easy to root for, will occasionally make fun to watch plays. But mostly is a sucky QB.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

They play at the same time. The cowboys will play to win for what ever small chance they have for the division. Dallas still has a path to the 1 seed with a win and a Minny SF and Eagles loss

Vikings don't matter at this point.  They'd (edit Vikings) lose tiebreaker with Philly, so just 49ers and Cowboys have a 1 seed shot.  Cowboys need both to lose.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/nfl-playoff-standings-nfc-east-eagles-cowboys-giants-commanders-bills-bengals-20230101.html

The Minnesota Vikings no long have a shot at the NFC’s top playoff seed after getting blown out by the Green Bay Packers. The San Francisco 49ers could still steal the No. 1 seed from the Eagles, thanks to their overtime win against the Las Vegas Raiders. But the Eagles remain in the driver’s seat, needing just a win against the New York Giants to clinch everything.

If the Eagles, 49ers, and Cowboys end the season in a three-way tie at 13-4, the top NFL playoff seed would go to the team with the best conference record, which would be San Francisco.

Edited by CommDownMan

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Most people think Heinicke sucks. I think Wentz sucks. I think Heinicke sucks. Neither are starting NFL QBs.

Let's stop trying to put lipstick on a pig here. IIRC Heinicke had the most turnover worthy throws of any starting QB this season according to PFF, and the only reason he hasn't had 20 INTs this year is either sheer luck or pre-game pagan sacrifices.

We also won games based on a top 5 rushing attack and top 5 defense. Heinicke was mostly along for the ride and usually had about one good drive per game or a couple of fantastic plays, but was crap for the other 95% of the game. Our passing game has been horrible, regardless of the QB.

Heinicke is a good dude, good story, easy to root for, will occasionally make fun to watch plays. But mostly is a sucky QB.

My step dads side of the family is filled with steeler and Raven fans. They were over for Christmas even and they all raved about Taylor. Raven fans were wishing they had him over Huntley. 

the nfl is blissfully unaware of what Taylor actually is 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

"Damn, I wish we had drafted OL instead" - Literally zero GMs/HCs who have drafted an elite QB.

Nobody is saying you don't need to surround a QB with weapons, but nowadays QB pretty much always comes first and basically every single team knows this fact. 

But at what Cost? And the past history here. Then why not keep drafting at it till you hit something instead of paying for castoffs to save the coaches jobs?. Look around elite QB's get drafted all the time in different Rounds and they are on rookie contracts till they prove or get casted off. How are the cast offs doing, by teams that no longer think they are worth the money and why does this team keep dishing it out.  Would be my answer.

My worry with Howell is they bring him in the 2nd half of the 4th quarter when we’ve already lost. Ron and Scot just hand off the ball to end the game and go home. 

If the game is out of hand, howell won’t have a good supporting cast and the ones left will be eyeing the exit and not giving their all.

Fans will then jump in and claim that Howell sucks because he didn’t lead a scoring drive