Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Asking for a friend: If Howell plays well next week does that mean we can stop the search for a new starting quarterback?  My friend seems to think it's a little late in the season to get a read on whether Howell is either good or bad.  He also thinks that it would be beneficial to improve the Oline before using draft or money resources to get a upper tier quarterback.

I'd like to know the definition of "not ready."

I can't believe there aren't a certain number of plays he can run and feel comfortable with by this point.  If the definition of "not ready" is that he can't audible out of a play at the LOS and into another one, sure, I'll buy that.  If "not ready" means he can't hit McLaurin or Dotson on a quick slant, I don't believe that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

But you have to see what you got before the draft. The team could have a top-10 pick, and it'd be foolish to go into the draft without some idea if QB has to be considered. 

I don't disagree.

17 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

What's the math on that? You think Ron Rivera is gonna hang his hat on that number?

Math?? My guy didn't even know it was an elimination game for us smh.

On another note- I'm glad Wentz ****e the bed in just a regular season game, rather than the playoffs. Dodged a bullet of breaking our hearts even more.

Edited by Captain James

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I can't believe there aren't a certain number of plays he can run and feel comfortable with by this point.  If the definition of "not ready" is that he can't audible out of a play at the LOS and into another one, sure, I'll buy that.  If "not ready" means he can't hit McLaurin or Dotson on a quick slant, I don't believe that.

Dude just hikes the ball and granny shoots it to receivers. Coaches are very confused. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don’t buy it. If that’s the word coming out of Commander Land then it’s purposeful. It’s to get people to understand Rivera’s decision to not start him. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the direction. 

I can buy he’s not completely up to par. I can buy that they’d like more time to prep him. I can buy that they don’t want to throw him to the Cowboys. 

I can’t buy that Brock Purdy, Bailey Zappe, Malik Willis, etc., are so much further along than Howell that Howell can’t even come in and play while each of them have made starts (good, bad or ugly).

At some point, you need to take the training wheels off.

If the Commanders name anyone other than Howell, I can bet you that whoever fed Paulsen that info was feeding him a line to get people to be okay with the decision.

We’ll see who the starter is tomorrow, I’d guess.

Just now, tmandoug1 said:

If Howell doesn't start Sunday we will know he was a wasted 5th round pick..... and that is saying something. 

I don’t think him not starting means that… or even that it doesn’t. 

But it means something.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t buy it. If that’s the word coming out of Commander Land then it’s purposeful. It’s to get people to understand Rivera’s decision to not start him. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the direction. 

I can buy he’s not completely up to par. I can buy that they’d like more time to prep him. I can buy that they don’t want to throw him to the Cowboys. 

I can’t buy that Brock Purdy, Bailey Zappe, Malik Willis, etc., are so much further along than Howell that Howell can’t even come in and play while each of them have made starts (good, bad or ugly).

At some point, you need to take the training wheels off.

If the Commanders name anyone other than Howell, I can bet you that whoever fed Paulsen that info was feeding him a line to get people to be okay with the decision.

We’ll see who the starter is tomorrow, I’d guess.

I don’t think him not starting means that… or even that it doesn’t. 

But it means something.

Unless the dude is injured or Rivera is trying to get Heiny more money there is 0 reason he shouldnt start. 

2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Unless the dude is injured or Rivera is trying to get Heiny more money there is 0 reason he shouldnt start. 

There’s many reasons Rivera wouldn’t want to play him.

1) Doesn’t want him to be good and make him look bad. If he looks okay in practice then saving it for next year and then commenting on the strides he’s made makes the staff look better and like they took a raw 5th and molded him to the point that he’s a good player.

2) Thinks Dallas is a lot for a rookie and he wants to shield him. I don’t agree with this approach. But it’s possible.

3) He wants to give Heinicke another go. And if Heinicke beats Dallas don’t be surprised if he and Turner are back. 

There’s many reasons. Just none of them good.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1) Doesn’t want him to be good and make him look bad. If he looks okay in practice then saving it for next year and then commenting on the strides he’s made makes the staff look better and like they took a raw 5th and molded him to the point that he’s a good player.

2) Thinks Dallas is a lot for a rookie and he wants to shield him. I don’t agree with this approach. But it’s possible.

3) He wants to give Heinicke another go. And if Heinicke beats Dallas don’t be surprised if he and Turner are back. 

For me it is simple as this:

If TH plays and we win. Then why the hell he didn't start in the Browns game. So double edge sword there. 

Howell plays win or lose really doesn't matter since he couldn't play since Wentz was the backup to TH and TH to Wentz so fans can't say why we didn't start Howell earlier. You couldn't or can't. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Or, and hear me out here, Rivera unleashes PSer Jake Fromm on the league!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

Worst case scenario... Winning with Taylor to bring us from a possible 12th pick to like 19th is vomit inducing.

But has Ron been told of that? Or is he going to go on the podium and say really? You mean could have had a better pick. :ols:

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Rookie RG3 on line 1 for you.

RG3 wasnt a back up all year with no expections. How many times has it happened to us that a backup comes in and lights it up on us over years? 

But you're response was funny 

Edited by willyt
added info
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zCommander said:

But has Ron been told of that? Or is he going to go on the podium and say really? You mean could have had a better pick. :ols:

Followed immediately by the resident apologists chiming in with:  “well, what do you expect? He’s only the head coach.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Worst case scenario... Winning with Taylor to bring us from a possible 12th pick to like 19th is vomit inducing.

yeah, but let's face it.  The only way this organization gets a QB that's decent is if they had the #1 overall pick and there was a can't miss guy sitting there waiting for them.  Even then, they may find a way to mess that up

1 minute ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

Ron Rivera went out and got Ryan Fitzpatrick and Carson Wentz.  I have absolutely zero confidence in this organization getting the next QB right either through the draft or in free agency.

Kind of crazy that his first year as a head coach he was gifted Cam Newton at the 1st overall pick. It's all been down hill from there. 

• Sad 2

The season is over.  They cannot make the playoffs.  Why not see what Howell can do?  I don't get playing either Wentz (obv) or TH even though TH gives them the 'best chance to win'.  At this point you need to see what you have in your draft pick because TH isn't going to be your day 1 starter next year.  They have made that clear for 2 straight seasons now.

• Thanks 1

I still think Rivera will stick with some line sort of line like this - TH gives us the best opportunity to end the season on a winning note.  I agree with the thought that IF he were to start Howell and Howell played well, Rivera would place himself in a position to have to answer a lot more questions about this capacity to evaluate QB talent.  He is not going to do that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1