Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

It's interesting how the "he's just padding his stats in garbage time" excuses aren't being used anymore for this quarterback.  Not saying that he is, but just a few years ago this thread would have been full of them.

It's because last week he showed he doesn't need garbage time to have basically these same stats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

It's because last week he showed he doesn't need garbage time to have basically these same stats.

I don't disagree but the fawning over the same quarterback we had here a few years ago who was considered "polarizing" is kind of amusing to me.

• Thumb up 1

Honestly, they should convert some $ and extend him 1-2 years. I thought so before the season started, just so we could be more aggressive filling LBer and Secondary holes. I still think that was the right move. I think they planned on this being an experiment and the 2023 Draft class is loaded. But my preference is give Howell a few years to learn and build a plan for when Wentz demands a crazy deal and we can't afford it.  Anyone know what range per year he should be in for 2 or 3 years? 

8 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Honestly, they should convert some $ and extend him 1-2 years. I thought so before the season started, just so we could be more aggressive filling LBer and Secondary holes. I still think that was the right move. I think they planned on this being an experiment and the 2023 Draft class is loaded. But my preference is give Howell a few years to learn and build a plan for when Wentz demands a crazy deal and we can't afford it.  Anyone know what range per year he should be in for 2 or 3 years? 

I'm fine with not extending Wentz until we see what we have him in for sure. He'll get a 3-4 ish year extension this off season and we'll use those cap savings to go crazy at LB and CB and go all in in 2023.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm fine with not extending Wentz until we see what we have him in for sure. He'll get a 3-4 ish year extension this off season and we'll use those cap savings to go crazy at LB and CB and go all in in 2023.

I hope so, we have... lets just say a not great history with this. I wonder if a mid season deal shows some level of commitment and plan. I'm cool with waiting, just don't want to watch football knowing we have no chance. In 2 games with Wentz our offense is so much more fun to watch and we're never out of a game... now if only we could figure out when to go for 1 or 2 ... hmmm 🤔

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Converting $ I understand (could free up 13mil), but by extending, do you mean beyond the 3 years he’s under contract for?

6 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

It's interesting how the "he's just padding his stats in garbage time" excuses aren't being used anymore for this quarterback.  Not saying that he is, but just a few years ago this thread would have been full of them.

Because that's not what's happening. We got within 7 points of the Lions with plenty of time left on the clock and that's when Wentz got most of his stats. Last week we won so obviously there was no garbage time.

Weird comment. 

• Like 4

Wentz is showing up so far. And...just for the heck of it, let's start a debate about whether we should have drafted Tua instead of Chase Young! 🙂

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/despite-loss-washington-commanders-qb-carson-wentz-makes-history-vs-detroit-lions-trade

>>Despite Sunday's loss to the Detroit Lions, Wentz is already etching his name in the record books for the franchise. In the loss, Wentz completed 30 of 46 passes for 337 yards, three touchdowns and an interception. According to the Commanders, Wentz became the first player to have 300+ passing yards and 3+ touchdowns in each of his first two starts with a new team since quarterback starts were tracked in 1950. His seven touchdowns through two weeks is the most by a quarterback in franchise history.

From an overall league perspective, Wentz ranks only behind Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa in passing yards through two games ... and Tua threw for 469 yards in a wild Week 2 win against the Baltimore Ravens. His seven touchdowns are tied for the league lead alongside Tagovailoa and Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

Even though Wentz and the Commanders' success will be defined by the team's wins and losses, it's hard to deny the effort he's put in at the start of the season.<<

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

And there are still fans who prefer Taylor Heinicke "lolol"

I get the joke for sure - I saw Wentz as a major upgrade (and that’s bearing out) but I do think it’s still (and will continue to be) a semi-interesting debate for a several reasons:

Heinicke would most likely be a placeholder for Howell.  That’s not to say Wentz won’t be, but less of a sure thing.  That’s also not to say I’m in a hurry to see what we have in Howell, just that it would great to wind up with a homegrown franchise qb.

Heinicke would still be the same limited qb of course, but he’d have more weapons for sure.  How much of a difference would that make?

Wentz seemingly gives us a much better chance to win games, but if the defense holds us back, that might just equate to a worse draft position and no playoffs to show for it.

I have to wonder what the team might have done on D with Wentz’ money…

Will be interesting to see what kind of players we miss out on with the 2nd/3rd rounders next draft.

Of course, all of that just takes down a road of speculation, which probably just leads to more butting heads vs fruitful dialogue, lol.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Converting $ I understand (could free up 13mil), but by extending, do you mean beyond the 3 years he’s under contract for?

No, restructuring... my understanding is that the back is non guaranteed and bloated like all the contracts these days. total of 3 years including this year would be my goal. 

• Thumb up 1