Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I just watched that TD pas to Terry again and it was just beautiful. That will be there a lot this year.

Remember last year when that pass would get underthrown and probably result in a pick lolol

7 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I mean there is no way he beats out Mahomes for this

30 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

I’m glad wentz played well. But some of you need to really chill. It’s one game against the worst team in the league last year. This isn’t the chiefs. 

I am not sure about anyone else but I always chill my beer before the game starts. 

Did you watch the game yesterday? Their D was really good. Better than ours actually. It's their offense that did them no favor and that is why they lost the game. 

By the way, you said last year they were bad like in 2021. Just to remind you this is year 2022. ;)

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not losing sleep over it either but it seems a bit off brand for Sharp to be so nasty about a player.  Feels like its oddly personal.

Sorry, was ot implying you were. Just making my own statment. Again, the hate for Wentz really seems over the top. We will see as the season goes on.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I just watched that TD pas to Terry again and it was just beautiful. That will be there a lot this year.

Casually listening to some of our local guys and the general theme was on that throw, only about 5 QB's in the league can make that throw.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

NFL Week 1 Takeaways: Commanders Pass a Test; Be Happy for Saquon Barkley

No one would draw up a fourth quarter like the Commanders had, but believe it not, they’re grateful for it. And eventually, Ron Rivera conceded that to me, when we discussed how the final frame started with Washington up 14–12 and quickly devolved with two Carson Wentz picks that led to the Jaguars going up 22–14, which ultimately set the stage for hosts to rally for a stirring 28–22 win.

“You know how many people said that to me privately afterwards, that it was the best thing that happened to [the players]?” Rivera told me, a few hours later. “I said, How can you say that? They said, Look, he bounced back from two disastrous interceptions. For him to come back in that situation, do what he did, that was pretty damn good. I was like, You know what? They’re right. They’re right. He stuck with it; he hung in there and he kept fighting.”

It’s one day, of course, and it wasn’t a perfect one for Wentz. He finished 27-of-41 for 313 yards, four touchdowns and the two picks. His team won, which is the important thing. There are a lot of things he wants to clean up.

But the truth is, he did answer some questions, mostly because the meltdown was there to be had, and Wentz didn’t just sidestep it—he flipped it on its head.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/09/12/nfl-takeaways-carson-wentz-saquon-barkley-justin-jefferson

Or put another way...

fthemints.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I know, don't care lol...the 28th-ranked QB was one of the 3 choices for best QB performance this week. That's enough.

The vote percentages are a bit dumb though. Why is Herbert ahead of Wentz when Wentz had better stats?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Feels so good to be touched again...

• Haha 2

From Mark Bullock's blog (which is well worth the subscribe during the season):

I wanted to finish off this piece on Wentz looking at a positive sign going forward. Wentz can absolutely be a rollercoaster ride, as we all experienced against the Jaguars. That will likely continue throughout the season with some games being outstanding and some being horrific. But one thing I thought was noteworthy from Wentz’s performance against the Jaguars was the lack of hero ball. The big criticism of Wentz in his recent career and certainly with the Colts last season was his reliance on playing hero ball as soon as he felt pressured in the pocket. By hero ball, I mean scrambling around trying to break out of tackles and launching the ball down the field hoping to make a heroic play instead of just taking the throws and checkdowns available to him underneath. There was no hero ball against the Jaguars, despite some pressure, and Wentz showed the ability and willingness to throw the ball to his running backs underneath when needed.

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/evaluating-carson-wentz-in-his-commanders

Edited by Bifflog
  • Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I can understand analytics people not like Wentz due to his propsensity for turnovers. But some of the rankings were just absurd. You wanna rank him around 15-20, fine I get that, that's fair. But below guys like Geno freaking Smith? Justin Fields who was mostly abysmal as a rookie? I mean that's just ridiculous.

What propensity for turnovers? Outside of 2020 and his rookie season Wentz has never thrown a lot of picks.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Fumbles

Well, we'll all just keep hoping those don't happen. 

EYES ON THE PRIZE.  The football is the thing.  This isn't baseball where "everybody gets their turn".  (I've seen Carlin in person, his description of the games is fab.) 

We did well against a team with a 2nd year QB (my hippie), and his new coach. 

I drank the Wentz kool-aid too.  But if everyone can stay healthy, we might have a chance.  Injuries are always our nemesis. 

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Rypien to Clark flashbacks for me. 

I really hope Turner has the balls to let Wentz and these receivers loose.

Probably one of the best I've seen from this offense since Robert.  (He could throw & run, that first season was magic). 

Gotta keep a good O-line to keep him upright.  (Yall have read me saying this for a decade now...gimme a good front line, yada yada)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If he's 10-15, we are definitely going to the playoffs.  IMO today he was more 15ish today versus fringe top 10. 

But I got an open mind.  Will see.  We were up against the worst team in the NFL last year and won by the skin of our teeth.  I'll take the win but I want to see the movie play out.  And as far as Wentz, I saw some of what makes him special and also saw some of what his critics kill him for.  I definitely lean positive.  But i am not feeling uber confident or down after today's game. 

Here's my take:

The Bad:

- He had 2 really inaccurate passes early, one on each of the first 2 drives.

- He had one really, really bad Interception.  The late throw to Dotson.

- He had one not-great decision on the screen pass coupled with an amazing defensive effort.

- The first throw of the second half to Terry, for some reason, I think he didn't put enough "umph" on it.  Allowed the defender to close.  It was weird.  He has the arm, didn't use it.

QBR did not love his performance.  46.3.  I would attribute a lot of that to the 2 INTs, I imagine.  

The Good: 

- Apart from the 2 early passes, and the INTs, he was mostly accurate all day.  

- He pressed the ball down the field a bunch.

- He took the layups when they were there, didn't throw into double coverage or make egregiously bad reads.  

- All 4 TD throws were really good throws.  

- Evaded pressure on several occasions and got the ball out of his hands.

- Ran the offense efficiently.  I think there was only one TO to avoid a delay of game penalty.

- Only took one sack.

- Converted on a number of big 3rd downs, especially late, hit Thomas twice.

- Hit one big deep shot to Terry McLaurin.  (On a throw which hasn't been available to any QB on the roster save Haskins since ... Probably Kirk.  Haskins had the arm but not the accuracy or timing, I'm not sure even healthy Alex Smith had the arm. Kyle Allen did not have the arm, and Taylor Heinicke would have had to have gotten in a cart and driven it over there.  You've got to drop that one into the honey hole between the DB and the Safety, it has to be driven in there, probably 50 air yards going from the middle of the field to the sideline.  Best throw of the day by a lot.)

I think he played at a top 10-15 range, maybe closer to 15 than 10. 

He did end the day with the 4th highest yards total:

1. Mahomes - 360

2. Ryan - 352

3. Burrow - 338

4. Wentz - 313

And second with TDs

1. Mahomes - 5

2. Wentz - 4

And his team won, and he was a big part of making that happen late.  

I like QBR as a stat, but it can be funky sometimes.  Burrow had an AWFUL game.  I watched some of it.  62% completion, 2 TD, 4 INTs. But he got a lift because QBR factors sacks in to benefit the QB.  He took 7 sacks.  And his QBR was about the same as Wentz's.

Not having watched all of the games, but some of them and looking at some stats, I would say the following QBs definitely had better days (in no order, except for Mahomes, who is a cyborg):

- Mahomes

- Josh Allen (though he also threw 2 INTs, but completed 84% of his passes.)

- Herbert

- Cousins

If you give me any of the other QBs, I could make an argument Wentz had at least as good a day as any of them. Not necessarily he's better than all of them (he's not), but for just this week, personally, I think he played at least as well, if not better, than about 10 or so QBs and you almost could put them in a bag and pick them 5-15.  

What's interesting, is they were all unique.  For example:

Hurts was 18/32 (56.3%), 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 1 sack for 4 yards.  He tagged on 90 yards rushing on 17 attempts and a TD.  Total of 333 yards, 1 TD, no INTs.

That's really good.  However, from a passing perspective, he completed just north of 50% of his passes.  Picked up some chunk plays, though.  

How much better is that than Wentz's performance?  It's 20 yards more, 3 less TDs, but Hurts also didn't make the 2 mistakes. However, 56% of pass completions, at least in a vacuum, is pretty low.  

Did Hurts have a better day?  Maybe.  But I'd say, not be a whole lot.  I'd say both of them were very good. 

Final Note:  I think the offense is going to get better, barring injuries, as all the players get more experience with each other.  I think some of the inacurate throws you saw early will decrease.  Granted, every QB has an inaccurate throw or two per game.  And when Turner comes back to give them a more down-the-field TE option.  Thomas looked slow.  Still ran good routes, caught the ball, got open, etc.  But looked slow.  It's going to take him until next season to get his speed back.  I also think Turner is going to get more comfortable calling the offense as time goes on.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1