Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm telling you guys... It's not just the same ole "he's a hard worker and loves the game" BS every coach says about their QB... Howell didn't party, didn't go after girls, didn't do a damn thing except work on becoming a better QB lol. He's also got the clutch gene. As a true freshmen he made big throw after big throw late in games to give us a chance to win games. On top of that the dude never really got hurt (knock on wood) and he took massive hit after massive hit. He's our QB of the future, I have zero doubt. I was screaming at the TV during the draft every time we passed on him. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Ron needs to reward him by sending him out with the 2s next week.

Can't emphasize this enough, lost count how many times we've said this and realized said player was indeed beating up on players that won't be playing in September and we all needed to simmer down.

He needs to be 2nd QB off the bench next game, and don't waste too much time doing it.

In meantime, enjoying the memes floating around right now...

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Man, Howell makes 3 good throws, misses a lot, and ends with about a 50% completion percentage against a 3rd string defense and some people lose it.

First of all, he's a brand new face on a team that's had catastrophe after disaster after meltdown after misfire after just plain mediocrity at the QB position for many years now. Also, that team has a history of unsuccessful drafts at QB position (and many other positions for that matter), no matter how bright the prospect looked. So here comes a guy who looked all pre-draft like a guy who was clearly a 2nd rounder with even a good shot at 1st round and we end up picking him up in the 5th round.....and he comes into his first NFL game and he doesn't suck!

Yes, it was only one game and a pre-season one at that and yes, he was playing the 3rd team defense (but he only had our 3rd team offense as well) yet he brought the team back from a 2 TD deficit at the top of the 4Q to a lead that would have won the game if the D had held for him. He could end up making the FO look guilty of thievery by drafting him so low. 

The point is, everyone here always hopes that the Commanders finally hit on a guy in the draft who can finally be their long time answer at QB, bring some stability to the position and possibly even be a franchise QB some day. People in this forum and elsewhere as well as the team FO have agonized for years on who that person should be and how we could best acquire him. Now we finally have a real, live, legitimate breathing specimen who seems possibly to have major upside in that position and we can all study what we finally have. If he can keep this up.

Doesn't mean that he will be the next Brady, Rodgers or Wilson some day, he might even suck totally next game (although I suspect he won't). He just didn't burst that bubble, he.....just....didn't...suck today and that's why so many people liked what they saw from him today. He is a fresh face at what has been a stale position for this team. He is not a re-tread or hand me down or trade from another team. Let's see what he can do.

Regarding only 3 good throws, I realize that more good throws is always better but one could say he didn't need more than the 3 today because he produced the two touchdowns that put the team in the lead by running them himself.

The above is just my own .02 cents.

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Sam looked like Babe Laufenberg for a moment there. Joking aside I think we can all gush for a week without fear.

I am so happy we drafted a QB but was Norvous starting ~2nd round that we were going to go another year without taking one. I think we have largely failed at finding a QB because we rarely draft any. I want one drafted every year until we find one that shows promise. When we did address QB proper it was over the top burning 6 picks on RG3/Cousins in the same year.

Edited by RandyHolt

9 hours ago, illone said:

It’ll be a balanced attack. You dont bring in a huge arm and not deploy it. Plus the colts are dumb, Scotty is a better play caller than Reich. 

we have the personnel to air it out. Id be shocked if we end the year under 4k air yards. 

The offense has to run through Wentz.  For better or worse, they placed a bet on him, now they have to use it.

• Thumb up 2

Howell plays like that he could be our Dak

Prescott.

Two things from yesterday the offense with Wentz and Howell did not look that bad. I get the impression the offense will not be the problem.

I am worried about the defense then the offense at this point. The defense looks like it has the same problems as last year. 

Also I know it is Preseason but to lose that game after coming back was awful and sets a bad tone for the season. I was at the game we really should have won Preseason or not. It would have set a great tone for the season.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Redskins 2021, I do so agree that our defence could really let us down again. Stupid penalties but more concerning to me is our coverage plans for the secondary. It seems like another season where our corners are 10 yards off the ball. It drives me crazy that we never have tight coverage.

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Heinicke could drop off the roster and into the ocean, and I wouldn't care.  If Howell had to start, I'd prefer him to start as a 5th round rookie with the tools he has and live with the inexperience and rookie mistakes rather than dumb the offense down into a 12X12 box again with TH.  

This post sums up a lot of posts here and just shows how ridiculous this place and this teams fans have become, really, so you would live with Howell coming into a tie game late in the season with the NFC east, a 3rd seed and a home playoff game on the line? All this after seeing Howell play one preseason game against guys that wont be in the league in 3 weeks...brilliant! Also, talking about dumb downed offense I guess you missed most of the passing plays with one read, predetermined passes Howell had yesterday.

Is this how other fans are around the league, so in the minute reactionary?

Edited by TChaler70

Wasnt in the thread yesterday. Weather was far too nice outside for me to be sitting in front of a TV all day. I just watched a recording of the game. My thoughts, not that anyone cares:

1) Gibson needs to be moved to a slot receiver/change of pace guy. He is not an every down back. Many of us have been saying it for two years. But that needs to end. 

2) Robinson is a REAL RB. And you can see his vision and explosion through the hole. Something Gibson has none of. 

3) Wentz was way better than I expected him to be. Hated the trade. I hope he makes me look like a fool for it.

4) Our secondary is still trash. Baker carved up our starters at will. And even Darnold looked competent against them.

5) Our LB's are still going to be a problem. I do want to see if Davis somehow learned how to read and react in the off season. But I doubt it. 

6) The new fight song is a pathetic joke. 

7) The field looked really good yesterday. They seem to have gotten that debacle under control. 

8 The all white uni's...I am not a fan. I do like the new helmet though. 

Thats about all I have. Hoping we are at least competitive for the division title this year. Our schedule should help make it that way at least. 

• Like 6

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I know this is a joke. But I thought the field looked pretty good yesterday. Maybe they got that debacle under control finally. 

Our field is actually really nice now and has been for a few years. One of the leagues best outdoor fields.

• Like 1

There are a few things I’m impressed with about Howell.

First for a shorter qb, he stands tall in the pocket. He’s mainly on his front foot during his release and his knees are not bending so he can see over the linemen. Second obviously he has a strong arm and he releases the ball without a lot of windup needed. He has a rather quick release.

Lastly and it was pointed out by a few people but when he scrambles he’s looking downfield rather than looking to where to run. He has some wheels but I want our qb looking for that downfield throw not a 12 yard scramble. On that 40 yard pass play where he broke loose to his left, he didn’t need to set his feet to throw a dart to Erickson. His athletic ability is pretty evident. 

Ive seen enough to know that he should be our #2! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

I wish I had your confidence in this team. Our defense still gives me pause but I do expect big things from this offense. 

We need a high scoring offense, because our defense is going to need to be opportunistic. I don't see us doing well if we need to rely on the defense in a low scoring game. I think we will have a lot of turn overs. Luckily our 15 TO QB and 6 fumble RB have been replaced. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NFC Beast1987 said:

I'm telling you guys... It's not just the same ole "he's a hard worker and loves the game" BS every coach says about their QB... Howell didn't party, didn't go after girls, didn't do a damn thing except work on becoming a better QB lol. He's also got the clutch gene. As a true freshmen he made big throw after big throw late in games to give us a chance to win games. On top of that the dude never really got hurt (knock on wood) and he took massive hit after massive hit. He's our QB of the future, I have zero doubt. I was screaming at the TV during the draft every time we passed on him. 

I liked Howell before the draft.  I had two hesitations and Greg Cosell among others gave me a third one to think about too after we drafted him.    a.  Pocket presence.  b.  Can his mobility translate?  c.  As Cosell likes to bring up 6 feet and under QBs who aren't running type QBs haven't on the aggregate been that hot in the NFL with Brees being a key exception.   Oddly, Bram and Keim talked about his height on last nights podcast with Bram thinking Howell is like 5 '9 and that he isn't truly 6 foot because Bram is 6 foot and he's taller than him.  I got no idea how they came up with that because I am pretty sure Howell is genuinely 6 foot. 

So for me I want to see that Howell's scrambiling-running ability works in the NFL and it did at least yesterday, I was more jazzed to see that run for a TD than any of his throws for that reason.  Some critcs of Howell like to say dudes like Manziel and Mayfield could run in college but they aren't that fast and can't really run that hot in the NFL and said Howell seems to be of that same cloth.  For me to be sold on Howell, I need to buy that his mobility translates to this league and yesterday was a good start.

As for yelling at the TV, I started doing so in the 4th round, I wanted him bad when our pick came up then.  I talked about it on the draft thread on this board. at the time  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seems like Carson is getting good reviews from the local media, only naysayer that I've noticed is Sheehan who thinks Wentz was just "ok" yesterday and thought he struggled on some throws. 

Where'd you hear that from Sheehan? I figured he wouldn't praise Wentz but I wanted to hear it for myself