Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I think Tennessee has a significant coaching edge.  Vrabel, IMO, is a top tier coach in the league.  They win with subpar talent.  They are a tough team that embodies their coach.  If Ryan was the god-like QB (and no doubt, he's been a very good QB), then why wasn't Atlanta winning since losing to Philly in the wildcard 4 years ago?  Heck, we beat Ryan last year in Atlanta.  Does Indy even make a wildcard run if they can't win the division?  I figure the AFC North gets at least two teams (Bengals and Ravens), the AFC west gets at least 2 teams (LAC and Denver), and the last wildcard spot is fought between NE, Mia, an AFC west team(s) (LV & KC), an AFC North team (Cle), and Indy.  

The afc west could put 4 teams into the playoffs or they beat each other up and only put one team, in the playoffs.

At first glance of all of the stats his spin rate is the one where he clearly outperformed all of the other qbs.

Archimedes once famously said, "Give me a high enough spin rate and I'll throw a football over the world."

Then again too much of a good spin can sometimes be detrimental...

"

What it takes to throw a spiral

Now, adding more spin to the ball isn’t all that throwing a good spiral needs. A faster-spinning ball will take up more proportion of the imparted energy to continue spinning than to continue moving forward. This means that quarterbacks can actually lose yardage when they impart more spin to a ball. It’s all about finding a happy medium. The ball needs the necessary amount of spin to attain proper gyroscopic motion, while also maximizing the forward velocity to maximize range."

from the artcle "The Math behind Throwing the Perfect Football Spiral" at interestingengineering.com

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thanks 1

Why oh why am I such a sucker!!??

I can't believe I'm saying this but damnit in spite of everything that's gone on during this god awful off season I'm beginning to get excited about next year again!!!

Aaaargh!

Not again!

If I end up drinking the Koolaid once more will one of you kindly youngsters pull out my plug and put this delusional old fart out of his eternal misery once and for all, please???

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Why oh why am I such a sucker!!??

I can't believe I'm saying this but damnit in spite of everything that's gone on during this god awful off season I'm beginning to get excited about next year again!!!

Aaaargh!

Not again!

If I end up drinking the Koolaid once more will one of you kindly youngsters pull out my plug and put this delusional old fart out of his eternal misery once and for all, please???

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

snap out of it!!! This is the Washington Commodes you’re talking about!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Damnit guys if we could hit the jackpot on a criminally underrated rookie qb...

No no no...

Not going there.

No no no...

This is a trap.

No no no...

Don't take the bait.

But what if....

Slap me hard Batman and slap me fast!!!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 1:23 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, while I clearly like Ryan more than most on this thread.  the Colts and their fans are starting to make me hate him.  😧  As of now, I plan to go to that Indy game.  And if so I don't think I've ever been this fired up to beat a team in a road game that I've been at. 

This whole Matt Ryan thing is bizarre. I don't recall sports analysts and reporters gushing over him in the past like they are now that he's with the Colts. He's mostly been seen a good but not elite QB throughout his career and was never really talked about as being in that upper echelon. Now that he's with Indy he's suddenly the second coming of Peyton Manning.

I really really hope that this whole thing blows up in Indy's face. And I'm the same way...I never disliked Ryan. He seems like a good dude, and a good QB. But with all the over the top nonsense it's making me almost hate him by default.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This whole Matt Ryan thing is bizarre. I don't recall sports analysts and reporters gushing over him in the past like they are now that he's with the Colts. He's mostly been seen a good but not elite QB throughout his career and was never really talked about as being in that upper echelon. Now that he's with Indy he's suddenly the second coming of Peyton Manning.

I really really hope that this whole thing blows up in Indy's face. And I'm the same way...I never disliked Ryan. He seems like a good dude, and a good QB. But with all the over the top nonsense it's making me almost hate him by default.

Nobody disliked Ryan.  He's as vanilla as you can get.

On the flip side that also means there's not much to love about him either.

I still don't see anything to hate the person/player.  Just the narrative surrounding him, and he isn't contributing to that.  I'm rooting for the narrative to fail, which by proxy means he fails, because the people pushing the narrative are being such assholes.

The Colts are just setting Reich up to get fired, and the opposite for Rivera. 

The Colts get to play the AFCW and NFCE and then also the Pats and Steelers. They might lose 8 games. Lucky for them they get to play both Houston and Jax on the road the first 2 games of the season so that might add a win they usually don't get. 

Meanwhile Rivera gets one of the easiest schedules in the NFL.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I'd get it if Matt Ryan was even lets say 33.  He has been better than good in his career.  He's been very good for most of his career and had three seasons where he was great.  I think he's a slam dunk Hall of Famer.  Top 10 QB for most of his career -- often 7-10 range though versus top 5 IMO.  

And yes if their beef with Wentz is consistency, clutch play and leadership -- Matt Ryan majors in all three things.

But Matt Ryan has never been Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes.  He's never been elite.  And the key point for me is he's not at the peak of his powers right now, that's what gets me the most about their narrative. 

They are acting like Ryan is like Brady and is at the height of his powers now while instead he's like most mortal QBs in that he's been on a steady slide for years as they get to their late 30s.   Does a new team revive his career?  Maybe.  But they are acting like its slam dunk.  And they are acting like he's Tom Brady.  IMO Ryan deserves a lot of respect for a great career.  But he's never been Brady. 

And Brady is more the exception to the rule versus being the rule in that he's playing his best ball now in his 40s.  Brady is a freak of nature as far as how he defied aging in this sport.  For them to just assume Ryan is the same is a bit nuts IMO.  I am not saying its impossible but to bank on it is really arrogant.  But I've learned this off season that Colts are a super arrogant franchise so it fits them like a glove.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

Fitzy had quite a career. Shame we didn't see much of him last year.  I was looking forward to being exposed to that level of personality throughout the regular season last year. Would have made things a bit more fun.

I could see him in a number of post career roles. He certainly has a spark about him that could make a lot of things work.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Fitzy had quite a career. Shame we didn't see much of him last year.  I was looking forward to being exposed to that level of personality throughout the regular season last year. Would have made things a bit more fun.

I could see him in a number of post career roles. He certainly has a spark about him that could make a lot of things work.

It'll be a crime if he doesn't end up doing game day color.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think he'd also be an outstanding QB coach.

Dude has a BS in economics from Harvard. If Football didn't dominate our culture the way it does, he could do a lot of things.

But football related stuff is easy money for him at this point, don't need his degree to know that. I think he would be prefect for some laidback morning show like GMFB, where all he has to do is pump air with a big ol' dumb grin on his face. Every one of those needs that former player w/ charisma. As a bonus he would be a bit of an extra ratings draw since he played for so many teams, so many fans would see him as "their guy".

I was listening to Michael Philips on Sheehan's podcast yesterday, and I thought Sheehan was going to cry.  Though I do think he held himself together fairly well. 

The reason?  Because Philly was dropping nuggets about how good the offense was looking in OTAs.  He added all the caveats that it was May/June, and nobody ever won anything in May/June.

But what I thought was really interesting is he brought up the year when the Patriots came to town for a joint practice, and he said you could immediately tell one organization was professionally run, and the other was a clown show. 

Well, he said that is what OTAs have looked like, and Wentz is a big part of that.  He said the practices are crisp, everybody seems to know what they are doing.

He also said he thought Wentz was going to be "just fine."  He was not going to disappoint anybody in a big way.  He wasn't going to be like an Aaron Rodgers and put the entire team on his back, but they don't need that.  

There were some other good nuggets in there, but I thought the most salient point was the offense was looking good, and Wentz was operating it at a pretty high level for only being in the offense for a few months. 

Kevin piped up and he said that he heard from somebody inside the building they really think they have an 12-13 win type of offense.  

Now, will that translate to anything?  Who the hell knows.

And it was somewhat refreshing for Sheehan not to have the opportunity to totally bash the Wentz move.  Which he didn't do.  He played up the other playmakers around Wentz, and stopped short of saying anything positive about Wentz.  But he didn't try and take Philly down the road that Wentz sucked.  (I kindof wished he did, because Phillips is the type of guy who would have, very politely, just told him that's not what is playing out on the field.)

Anyway, I've now heard a few places report that the offense looks pretty good, and that's WITHOUT Terry.

When Terry gets back ...  it could be pretty dynamic.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2