Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Still refusing, because it makes no sense.

His knee situation isn't something that can be "cleared".  It's bad.  Blood flow issues could reoccur.  Knee might still need drainings from heavy use like last college season.  Further degradation and instability from an extremely rare (for professional sports) procedure.  There's no reason to think his knee is going to get better from what it currently is.

Coaches and FO have talked about key traits that QB's must have to succeed.  Navigate the pocket, sidestep pressure, buy time, etc.  Tom Brady wasn't athletic but he moved around the pocket extremely well to buy time.  Strong doesn't fit any of the "buying time" traits that the team wants.

Very interesting. I hadn't heard or read of the injury being this serious or having future ramifications outside of normal post surgical issues.

9 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I love how everyone knows who everyone else likes and will pick 1.5 months before the draft. Don't believe the hype people!

Yeah, but they told us who they like.  :ols:

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's new podcast that he put up just a few minutes ago

A.  Would like a veteran in place to attract FAs.  Lack of Qb makes it tough to lure top FA WRs

While I understand the logic of this statement, it's hard for me to believe there's much teeth to it. Sure, I'm not sure any free agent WRs look at Washington and see it as a good landing spot. You literally have no idea who the QB will be next year. And that's a major risk. But it's also hard for me to believe that if the team went out and signed say Mitch Trubisky, that free agent WRs would be lining up and saying "I want a part of that". Signing the 27th best QB in football doesn't exactly move the needle much. If anything, now you know who the QB will be and it's a bottom tier one. At least previously there was blind hope.

6 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

His knee situation isn't something that can be "cleared".  It's bad.  Blood flow issues could reoccur.  Knee might still need drainings from heavy use like last college season.  Further degradation and instability from an extremely rare (for professional sports) procedure.  There's no reason to think his knee is going to get better from what it currently is.

Coaches and FO have talked about key traits that QB's must have to succeed.  Navigate the pocket, sidestep pressure, buy time, etc.  Tom Brady wasn't athletic but he moved around the pocket extremely well to buy time.  Strong doesn't fit any of the "buying time" traits that the team wants.

I think he is wrong about Strong too and for the record Keim was totally wrong last year on who we were picking in the first round. He never even mentioned Davis. 

He was sure we were taking JOK or Darrisaw (and also trading for Sam Darnold which would have made me throw up). Wrong on all points.

Edited by VirginiaVibes

14 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It's like drafting the college basketball senior over all the freshman that are available become of "readiness". Ignoring the fact that 45 other players from the senior's class had declared early for the draft over the previous 3 years. Although it's not this extreme, guys like Brandon Weeden and Chris Weinke come to mind. Being older does help. And the fact Pickett never did anything before that is troubling.

On the other hand, Burrow was rated as a sixth rounder before his breakout year. Sometimes, the light switch flips and the change is permanent.

Obviously, I have no idea if that's the case for anyone in this draft.

• Like 1

Willis is the answer. Highest floor and ceiling. His floor is Jalen Hurts last season, his ceiling is Josh Allen year 3. If he proves he can’t mature as a passer, then run him into the ground while on his rookie contract. If he runs in the 4.3 to 4.4 range his run ceiling may become most unique, due to his speed and power. 

The NFL is about getting the elite QB, but the additional piece is that QB must have a great ability to play backyard football. Gone are the days of relying the right play call and a QB working through 3,4, and 5 reads. Guys working high to low/one to two reads (then “backyard it”), screens, quick slants, deep shots supported by elite playmaking is the answer. Get the guy who’s grown up improvising and attempt to fine tune other areas, then a unicorn may present itself. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jericho said:

While I understand the logic of this statement, it's hard for me to believe there's much teeth to it. Sure, I'm not sure any free agent WRs look at Washington and see it as a good landing spot. You literally have no idea who the QB will be next year. And that's a major risk. But it's also hard for me to believe that if the team went out and signed say Mitch Trubisky, that free agent WRs would be lining up and saying "I want a part of that". Signing the 27th best QB in football doesn't exactly move the needle much. If anything, now you know who the QB will be and it's a bottom tier one. At least previously there was blind hope.

Yeah, I think getting a vet QB only helps if it's the right QB. How many free agents are going to turn to their agents and say, "Holy ****! Washington signed Tribusky???!!! Get me there. Get me there now! This changes everything!"

• Haha 1

Mike Jones part of the podcast talking to Keim

A.  When he talks to people around the league, Rivera and his coaching staff are liked and respected.  But they can't override the specter of Dan Synder -- culture is set from the top.  People don't see it as a potential winning organization as long as Snyder is there.

B.  They are swinging for the fences but likely will likely strike out.  Predicted Trubisky or Wentz and then later on he said maybe Mariota

C.  Talking to people around the league, different teams have different top QBs in this draft and its typically either Pickett, Willis or Corral

D.  Met Willis, really likes him.  Teams are all over the map on where he will land in the draft anywhere from top 10 to late first.

E.  Some have told him that Willis as a pure raw talent is one of the most talented QBs coming out of the draft in years.  Again talking raw talent versus polished QB. 

F.  Thinks we likely in the mix for Amarti Cooper but our Qb situation likely influences Cooper's interest

G.  They went back and forth about Carr, Jones doesn't think they trade him.   Keim thinks there is a fighting chance sticking to the same narrative that McDaniels supposedly likes Jimmy G and what if they can't agree on contract with Carr?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Trubisky isn’t the way to demonstrate how you #TakeCommand :ols:

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

E.  Some have told him that Willis as a pure raw talent is one of the most talented QB coming out of the draft in years.  Again talking talent versus polished QB. 

If Detroit think that he shouldn’t get past #2. But they’ll likely take edge instead.

30 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

They had their medical staff look at Strong's knee at the combine.  The medicals are the key part of the combine as we know.   Maybe you got a better feel than they do about his prognosis.  I am not an orthopedist.  Based on your post, I assume you are in the medical field and might be an orthopedist and if so have a good feel for his prognosis.  If so, you got me.  Maybe you are right?  My son broke his leg and had damage that required surgery, that's the extent of my expertise on the subject.   

But no I don't think Keim is making things up, he's been right a ton. 

34 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I love how everyone knows who everyone else likes and will pick 1.5 months before the draft. Don't believe the hype people!

Willis could be first off at 20. Atlanta could go Willis, Carolina Pickett, Denver Corral and then what?

Nobody knows. It's just fun speculation and conversations. 

18 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Willis is the answer. Highest floor and ceiling. His floor is Jalen Hurts last season, his ceiling is Josh Allen year 3. If he proves he can’t mature as a passer, then run him into the ground while on his rookie contract. If he runs in the 4.3 to 4.4 range his run ceiling may become most unique, due to his speed and power. 

The NFL is about getting the elite QB, but the additional piece is that QB must have a great ability to play backyard football. Gone are the days of relying the right play call and a QB working through 3,4, and 5 reads. Guys working high to low/one to two reads (then “backyard it”), screens, quick slants, deep shots supported by elite playmaking is the answer. Get the guy who’s grown up improvising and attempt to fine tune other areas, then a unicorn may present itself. 

He doesn't play backyard ball though. I don't think he's great as an improv guy tbh. He's not like Mahomes who escapes from pressure but stays in the pocket and consistently keeps his eyes down the field and makes improv plays. Most of Willis's excitement plays come from him taking off and running, not doing nifty improv stuff really. 

Edited by VirginiaVibes
  • Like 1

When it comes to FA WR's and our QB, I can't see them being excited if Washington brings anyone from the FA pool even it the top of the dredge, Trubisky, Mariota or Winston. I also don't see any of the rookies getting their juices flowing.They would compare them to what a guy like Lance has done.

I would love for someone to get to the bottom of our cap situation. Because if we are "in the mix for Cooper" that likely means $12-15m in committed money off the cap. Then you're down to about $20 million. And if we're in the market for a Winston/Mariota/Trubisky then maybe we can get away with a $7-10m cap hit this year. But if you are going after Cooper with plans of then possibly trading for Carr or Watson, then even with a restructure at the least those guys will count 20-25m off the cap.

At that point, not only are you not bringing in a top-tier MLB or FS in free agency, but you're going to have to make room to fit the QB salary in.

I know we can be creative and the cap is just a "suggestion" ... but I wonder what kind of moves we have lined up and ready to execute should we end up landing a Watson or Carr and having to absorb the cap AND go get talent (since we'd presumably be down a few premier picks)

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Willis could be first off at 20. Atlanta could go Willis, Carolina Pickett, Denver Corral and then what?

Nobody knows. It's just fun speculation and conversations. 

The more I listen to scuttlebutt (McShay, Mike Jones) the more its clear that Pickett, Corral, Willis are #1's on different boards depending on the team.  The next group is Ridder, Howell and Strong but Ridder has the most buzz in that 2nd group as for intangibles and athleticism.

I am not just saying this because he's my favorite but I think Corral has the best shot left as for someone who can climb or sink.  He's the only one who hasn't thrown yet at the Senior Bowl or Combine, so he has the highest stakes pro day in this group.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would love for someone to get to the bottom of our cap situation. Because if we are "in the mix for Cooper" that likely means $12-15m in committed money off the cap.

Everyone in the NFL backloads contracts now-a-days. Just b/c a guy averages 15M a year on his new deal, does not mean we will pay a guy 15M in yr 1. In fact, its almost assured we wont for someone on a deal of significant length.

Landon Collins makes a lot of money, but his yr 1 cap hit was under 4 M

Curtis Samuel cost us less than 4M in his first year.

Matt Judon has a 13M+ average, but yr 1 is was 6M

Joe thurney got a 16 M average but yr 1 was only 4.5M

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I just want to point out for all the reports from our team and other teams, this is lying season.  There will be leaks about this team likes that guy, whatever.

Don't believe everything you hear.  You have teams leaking stuff all the time to drum up interest for a trade back, to try and obfuscate what they are intending to do, etc.

There are a lot of lies out there.  So be careful what you  believe to be fact.

I think we can believe in basically one fact:  The Commanders are going to have a starting QB in 2022 who is not on the roster. That's about the only fact we really know to be true.

Beware of all the speculation.  :)

Thus ends the PSA.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Texans really need to trade him by the 14th and no later than the 16th. Otherwise QB needy teams will dip into FA

Good luck to whoever does that. Any team that does that before we know whether he's going to be criminally charged; is putting the future of the gm/ coaches on the criminal court system. Houston is just going to budget his salary. They aren't doing anything in 22 and odds are strong, Lovie is one and done.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Willis is a one read and take off and run guy. He's gonna need to sit for a year and learn how to actually run an NFL offense.

That's the thing. I am assuming people who like Willis are just going by Senior Bowl and Combine reports and haven't watched him? He is exciting as a runner, can really make plays with his feet and has a huge arm but he also is terrible handling pressure. I know the talent level between Ole Miss and Liberty is different but in that game Ole Miss had 8 of their 11 starters out on offense, Corral playing on two bad ankles and Willis looked shook by a bad Ole Miss defense.

Like this is legit the worst tape from all the top 5 QBs in this class IMO: