Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Carr was my first choice. He’s likely unavailable but I’ve soured on the cost.

Wilson is really who I’d go all in for. Rodgers would be a disaster.

After Wilson, I’m in the minority of being happy with taking a chance on Wentz.

The rest in meh.

Wentz, whilst still having our first couple of draft picks. Add in 2 top FA pick ups. Sounds good to me.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The rest in meh.

Wentz, whilst still having our first couple of draft picks. Add in 2 top FA pick ups. Sounds good to me.

Wentz or Winston if we can't get top guy. 

2 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

It's an unfair take, IMO.   We all want a better option, but to dismiss him like that is surprising.    He was 7-8 as a starter against a tough schedule; with little to no help from his defense and skill players.

This is, at very best disingenuous. During the win streak after the bye our defense was playing really good football and consistently holding opponents below their average scores in games until that point.

It was our offense that was consistently underperforming during that period. We only won those games because they were squeakers which could have gone either way, and the only reason they were squeakers and not blowouts was because our defense showed up.

1 hour ago, SeatCushionGame said:

Did our bridge QB from last year retire?  I haven't heard thing about Fitzpatrick.

Last known sighting:

OrneryDampBangeltiger-max-1mb.gif

41 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Yup Jimmy G. lit it up in the playoffs :rofl89:

Ok, maybe he should have specified "Excluding lame-duck QBs who's teams are in the process of trying to get rid of them because they're not good enough."

15 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

27 TD's and only 7 INT's is very good.   He had a weak receiving corps besides Pittman.   The Colts beat some really good teams on the road and were very competitive against other good teams. This seems like it's all about the Jaguars game at the end of the year.    

The last couple of games were bad for Wentz, but it's not all about those. It's not even all about the play in general. It's about how he sounds like an immature, entitled jackass who has now become a disliked locker room cancer on 2 teams in a row.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Conn said:

Is this a joke or am I missing your sarcasm here 

No joke but I guess I'm not making my stance clear. I'm asking someone to square that logic because to me that is illogical. He is not a good QB. If he was, we wouldn't be openly doing everything possible to replace him and have almost literally everyone on that planet agreeing with us. 

• Like 2

I think Wentz is the best case scenario for us.  Why would we trade the house for Rodgers who may retire in a year?  Why would Dan trade for Watson with our new culture change?  Wilson is just going to cost too much.  Murray looks like he lost drive for football and may switch to baseball. Carr is staying in LV.  There are no qbs this draft who have the talent Wentz has.  I hated playing Wentz twice a year because he was so good.  I would love to trade a second if Indy will eat some of his cap.  And he will get revenge on the Eagles.  Really is the perfect scenario in my opinion. 

Edited by Daniel.redskins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Somebody really make an animated gif from The Mask of Zorro when Don Diego (Anthony Hopkins) says to Alejandro

"you would have fought very bravely, and died very quickly."

It would be extremely applicable here....

I'd definitely go to war with TH as long as he wasn't our grenadier.

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

No joke but I guess I'm not making my stance clear. I'm asking someone to square that logic because to me that is illogical. He is not a good QB. If he was, we wouldn't be openly doing everything possible to replace him and have almost literally everyone on that planet agreeing with us. 

This is what I've been getting at.

If he's really a decent QB, and it's just us fans who are harsh and unfair, why isn't there chatter about potential interest in him from other teams?  Considering Ron has made it abundantly clear that we are shopping for a replacement, it would only make sense that his name should come up in the rumor mill.  Beyond that, I've not seen one analyst, PFF, media personality, provide the glowing reviews of his play that a few of our posters do.  This offseason is potentially the biggest offseason at the QB position as far as who could stay or go, and not a whisper about Heineke.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I have said before he is the best of option of a really bad bunch.  He does have the ability to make all throws, his had some success, and will be cheap coming off of injury. He is definitely a step above the other Qb options.

I think the injury thing, though, is important.  He's going to have to learn an entirely new offense.  Winston has played in several offenses, but I don't think he's played in the numbes-based system Turner runs.

So, if he's limited in training camps and OTAs, that's going to set him back.  Fitzy, who has played since Fred Flinstone was alive, said HE had never played in this offense before, and it was hard picking it up.  And he got all the reps.

I think in a vacuum, I agree Winston has the most upside.  But I think it might be better to go with somebody who can actually practice the entire off-season if they are learning a new offense.  

4 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

He would be cheaper then JimmyG. He is better then Marrota, Trubisky, and the others. Wentz is on the down right now.I think he is worth a shot but understand why people would not want him.

The one thing I would say is it's not entirely clear WHO would be better.  Mariota and Mitch didn't play at all last year, or at least not any meaningful amount. When Mariota did have a chance to play a couple years ago, he looked a lot better than he did in Tenn.  

It's possible the year off and spending some time as a backup to good QBs (Carr and Allen respectively) with good coaches might have helped them progress, so what we see next time they take the field might be better than what they were before.

Maybe not.  We don't really know.  I think one thing to note, Ron and the Bills guys are all close, so if Ron called and asked them for an honest opinion, they would give it to him.  So I'm going to assume if we sign Mitch, Ron has gotten at least the "yeah, he improved a bit" high-sign from the folks up there.  It might not matter.  

I don't think he's going to get that kind of scouting report from anybody else.

I would prefer we cut Heini. Sign two of if the lower tier qbs on an incentive laden contract. Draft a rookie qb . The rookie would sit and the other two would battle for the job. Heck, considering people drop like flies in training camp/ preseason; we could trade the loser if the battle for some low round picks.

Heini will probably be on someone’s camp roster before cutting him.

Commies can always bring him back later, if emergency rises. He won’t be on anyone’s regular season roster.

Heini isn’t a starter and not really a backup.  He’s a 3rd string, break in case of emergency qb.  Maybe you get 3-4 good games but the more he plays; won’t be good for you.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is what I've been getting at.

If he's really a decent QB, and it's just us fans who are harsh and unfair, why isn't there chatter about potential interest in him from other teams?  Considering Ron has made it abundantly clear that we are shopping for a replacement, it would only make sense that his name should come up in the rumor mill.  Beyond that, I've not seen one analyst, PFF, media personality, provide the glowing reviews of his play that a few of our posters do.  This offseason is potentially the biggest offseason at the QB position as far as who could stay or go, and not a whisper about Heineke.

Its crazy to me how much we used to argue specifically about qbs on this team and now we mostly agree with each other. If we had not already survived the apocalypse many times over at this point I would be seeking shelter 🤭 

I mean.... I know its simplistic logic but to me it makes so much sense. Admitting that I know so little, I mostly rely on others here for evaluation. So that's why I sincerely ask for someone to explain it to me like I'm @mistertim

(Random cheap shot, yes. But it was fun) 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Its crazy to me how much we used to argue specifically about qbs on this team and now we mostly agree with each other. If we had not already survived the apocalypse many times over at this point I would be seeking shelter 🤭 

I mean.... I know its simplistic logic but to me it makes so much sense. Admitting that I know so little, I mostly rely on others here for evaluation. So that's why I sincerely ask for someone to explain it to me like I'm @mistertim

Generally speaking, I think we even mostly agreed before.  What's sad is here we are, in the year 2022, still talking about needing a QB.  

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b0a3c895e61da996cee56691976a366cd13a6c25&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Based on Rivera's comments, I think if we don't end up with Wilson, Carr, etc.,  We're signing Trubisky and drafting someone.

I'm not a big Trubisky fan, but I would let him show he can't be a long term answer before spending a high pick on a QB.....especially the QB's in this draft class.

The question is if Mitch will sign here.  There will be other teams looking at him this off-season.  And I think he KNOWS we will draft somebody.  So, it's far from a lock he would come here.  

If you sign Mitch, they're going to draft a QB, either in the first or second round.  That's the safest bet you can make. 

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

What backup are better then Heinicke? Maybe one or two ? I can't think of any.

For us?  Probably not many.  

For every other team in the league?  Basically all of them.  

TH has value to us because he knows Scott Turner's system.  

TH has much less value to anybody else, because he won't be as familiar with the system, he'd have to learn it, and he's physically limited.  

There's a big difference between comparing to Wilson and then saying nobody would pick him up if we cut him like some have said.

It's not a lock he would get picked up if he was released today, but the betting odds are somebody would take a shot he could be a good backup for them and give him a shot in camp.  However, he probably would get cut after camp, because, well, that's what his history has been, and he didn't even look good in our camp last year when he knew the system. 

But all of that is irrelevant because we're not going to cut him until, at the earliest, the end of training camp.  At which point, he will remain unemployed until we call him again, because nobody is bringing in a 29 year old limited QB to learn a system at the beginning of the season.

I'm not suggesting we SHOULD cut him.  Just that if we did, it would be final roster cuts, and he would remain unemployed until we called him, if necessary.  We could also put him back on the practice squad.  Which, honestly, I think we should do, and open up another roster spot.  We could activate him at any time if both the #1 and #2 QBs got hurt. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I would take the following over Taylor Heineke:

Trey Lance

Jacoby Brissett

Tyrod Taylor

Jordan Love

Marcus Mariota

Gardner Minshew

Mitch Trubisky

Andy Dalton

He'd be in a toss-up with these guys, but I'd lean Heineke because of his familiarity with Turner's system and our personnel:

Case Keenum

Colt McCoy

Taysom Hill

Brandon Allen

Joe Flacco

Blaine Gabbert

PJ Walker

Geno Smith

AJ McCarron

Trace McSorley

In a vacuum, I'd take all of list 2 over TH as a backup for any other team other than us.  For us, I'd take TH as a backup over all of list 2 and most of list 1 also.  With the assumption being TH would only play in case of injury.  AND I'd have another option in case what happened this year happens again. Because if QB1 goes down in week 1, TH is NOT playing more than a game or two as a stop-gap.  We're turning to a rookie at that point to try out, because why not.

Don't take this personally, but "battered fan syndrome"  is quite accurate.  :)

None of your toss-ups are better than TH.....Neither is Tyrod or Brissett.    Lance and Love?   who knows....I'd take TH over Minshew and an aging Dalton.

I'll give you Mariota; Who I would be happy if we signed.    Trubisky?   I'm not sure

Again, this is "for us" or "For anybody"

In a vacuum, all of these guys are actually better than TH.  And if you needed them to start a few games, all of them could.

Just about all of the guys on the list, if they were in EXACTLY the same situation as TH was last year, would have either similar or better results.  The wins we had were mostly based on the running game and the defense, at least during the 4 game winning streak.  The game we won against the Giants at the end of the season, TH was pretty dreadful.  

He carried us to 2 wins.  Put any QB on this list in the same situation, you'll get similar results.  (With the exception being we have no idea about Love or Lance, because they haven't really ever played.)

7 hours ago, Conn said:

4.4 seems mighty hopeful for him and pure fluff season type talk. That would be surprising to me. Trying to remember if I’ve ever been surprised by a QBs speed like that. I know there have been some guys who had surprisingly functional athleticism that you didn’t really see on film, but those guys were 4.6 types, not 4.4. 4.4 speed hardly ever sneaks up on you 

Josh Allen ran like Mose Schrute in about 4.6 or 4.7, and he does OK.

• Haha 5

I thought there was truth to the rumor last year at the trade deadline when there was talk of us being interested in Trubisky and believed since then that Rivera and the front office would make a big play for him in free agency this year.

I'm not saying Trubisky is great, but I do think there's still a lot of untapped talent there. He is young, has a winning record as a starter, has been to the playoffs twice and being he's a free agent, we wouldn't have to give up any assets to get him. Hearing Josh Allen's comments about his ability and character further's my stance that I'm all for signing him. Obviously, things went bad in Chicago and the fact that he was willing to go to Buffalo- where he knew he had no shot to start- tells me he was humbled and knew a reset with the right team and situation for a year was what he needed to make him a better QB and help his career moving forward.

Allen basically said that Trubisky could flourish if given the opportunity to be himself and I think he would bring some of the Buffalo offense he learned with him here. Everyone knows Rivera has a close relationship with Buffalo coach, Sean McDermott, and I would not be surprised if McDermott has had nothing but positive things to say about Trubisky. The closer it gets to free agency and we don't make a trade for a QB, I think that'll be pretty telling that Trubisky is the guy we're targeting, along with drafting a guy in the later rounds.

I wouldn't hate it at all if we were to go into training camp with a QB room of Trubisky, Heinicke and whichever rookie we might draft in a later round.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

The rest in meh.

Don't know if I am on board with Wentz but I do agree that if it is not Wilson, we need to keep our pick. Rodgers and Watson, no one won't need the best tools. Rodgers is not a long-term solution. Watson is looking like he'd cost us any real hope though we'd be a fun watch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zCommander said:

Your tweet is not showing up. Here you go. :)

If Ron and Co give up assets for marginal QB options I know they arent serious about winning SBs or are completely out of touch with modern football. Its just about doing better than the last guy and getting as many wins as possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Somebody really make an animated gif from The Mask of Zorro when Don Diego (Anthony Hopkins) says to Alejandro

"you would have fought very bravely, and died very quickly."

It would be extremely applicable here....

You guys are tough....I'll give you your choice of Brady, Wilson, Ryan, Carr or Jimmy G and me and TH will take you on any day. 

17 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

I thought there was truth to the rumor last year at the trade deadline when there was talk of us being interested in Trubisky and believed since then that Rivera and the front office would make a big play for him in free agency this year.

I'm not saying Trubisky is great, but I do think there's still a lot of untapped talent there. He is young, has a winning record as a starter, has been to the playoffs twice and being he's a free agent, we wouldn't have to give up any assets to get him. Hearing Josh Allen's comments about his ability and character further's my stance that I'm all for signing him. Obviously, things went bad in Chicago and the fact that he was willing to go to Buffalo- where he knew he had no shot to start- tells me he was humbled and knew a reset with the right team and situation for a year was what he needed to make him a better QB and help his career moving forward.

Allen basically said that Trubisky could flourish if given the opportunity to be himself and I think he would bring some of the Buffalo offense he learned with him here. Everyone knows Rivera has a close relationship with Buffalo coach, Sean McDermott, and I would not be surprised if McDermott has had nothing but positive things to say about Trubisky. The closer it gets to free agency and we don't make a trade for a QB, I think that'll be pretty telling that Trubisky is the guy we're targeting, along with drafting a guy in the later rounds.

I wouldn't hate it at all if we were to go into training camp with a QB room of Trubisky, Heinicke and whichever rookie we might draft in a later round.     

I'm with you....Mitch, TH and a rookie who falls to us. 

• Like 1