Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

If we are going to get Wilson, we have to get him to agree to go to us but not the Eagles. They have more resources. 

We have more cap room. They can squeeze him under the cap, but not afford a new mega contract. 

The move is to say, “He Russ. Come here. We’ve got a new $200 million contract for you.” And then send three 1sts and one of our edge players. I think adding Chase Young or Montez gets it done. I’d rather have one of those guys on a rookie contract than old Khalil Mack on a QB sized contract. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why wouldn't he want to go to Philly?

No, everyone’s discussing compensation versus this or that team, that won’t matter as much as Russ deciding where he wants to go.

I compare it to a sign and trade in the NBA. The player is in control. 

Edited by wit33

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Correct. He’s deciding where he wants to land once that divorce is agreed upon in principle.

Then we are really screwed Denver will make a much better offer then us with all the picks if they don't get Rogers. We want him in Seattle next year we can't out bid anyone right now.

I want Wilson to but I just dont see it happening this year. It sucks I know we are not in position to make a deal like that right now. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

No, everyone is discussing compensation versus this or that team, that won’t matter as much as Russ deciding where he wants to go.

I would compare it to a sign and trade in the NBA. The player is in control. 

Wilson supposedly leaking that he isn't opposed to coming here is different than saying this is the place he wants to be at. 

Part of my optimism about Wilson weeks back were about an article from the Athletic that cited people who know Wilson who didn't believe he'd put up a fight against any trade. I talked about it on this thread at the time.  Now that might be hyperbole.   But I'd guess coupling that article and the recent leaks it gives the vibe that Wilson might not be that picky if he pushes a trade.

Tough for me to see, to the Commanders its yes but to the Eagles no.   Especially if part of the reason why some speculate Wilson wouldn'd mind coming to DC is proxomity to NY, if so that idea would apply even better to Philly.

The irony is if Wilson is checking around a little as Keim speculated about teams that have potential interest in him, I'd put money that he will get at least some pushback about the owner impeding success here.  If you couple that with the day Dan brought to himself yesterday, I'd figure maybe Wilson would pause.  Hopefully Dan can control himself leading up to FA to not put up a billboard like he did yesterday that spells dysfunction. 😧 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I am all for getting a top Qb but we have to do it right. Every one knows JimmyG not worth a 1 straight up but odds are that what it will cost.

We won 7 games last years odds are we will win nine with no big moves schudule is easier. This is a good team we do have holes we need a MLB we need another reciver and we will need a guard fill the spots make some trades.

If Jacksonville gets the first pick next maybe we say forget Wilson we will trade you 3 first and x for Bryce Young or Trevor Lawrence they can't have both. 

Trade 11 to the lions for there number 31 and there first next year. We need to make some moves so this does not happen again next year. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

16 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

So, small hands, average arm strength, mediocre decision making and scattershot accuracy?

SOLD! Bring him in baby!

lol, I didn't say scattershot accuracy.  As I said good accuracy not elite.  Only reason why I bothered to say that is some optimists compare him to Burrow but I don't see it for multiple reasons one of which is Burrow's accuracy is IMO elite.

Pickett isn't my guy so to speak but I don't dislike him either.

His attributes IMO

Good accuracy

He really throws well on the move -- the best Qb in this class on that front

Decent pocket presence -- feels pressure well

Pro ready -- WCO style system

Really good leader -- high intangibles. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wilson supposedly leaking that he isn't opposed to coming here is different than saying this is the place he wants to be at. 

Part of my optimism about Wilson weeks back were about an article from the Athletic that cited people who know Wilson who didn't believe he'd put up a fight against any trade. I talked about it on this thread at the time.  Now that might be hyperbole.   But I'd guess coupling that article and the recent leaks it gives the vibe that Wilson might not be that picky if he pushes a trade.

Tough for me to see, to the Commanders its yes but to the Eagles no.   Especially if part of the reason why some speculate Wilson wouldn'd mind coming to DC is proxomity to NY, if so that idea would apply even better to Philly.

The irony is if Wilson is checking around a little as Keim speculated about teams that have potential interest in him, I'd put money that he will get at least some pushback about the owner impeding success here.  If you couple that with the day Dan brought to himself yesterday, I'd figure maybe Wilson would pause.  Hopefully Dan can control himself leading up to FA to not put up a billboard like he did yesterday that spells dysfunction. 😧 

Oh yeah, I have zero idea one way or another which team he’ll decide to go to. Don’t really care to speculate on that kind of stuff. Just saying the draft picks or players won’t matter as much as it will be who Wilson decides to play with. If he decides Eagles, he’ll be an Eagle (or whatever team). 

He’s a bit of a Hollywood dude, it will be interesting to see where goes. He’s not my kind of dude from afar, but who cares about that lol if he’s providing borderline elite returns.

Also, if he’s looking for a huge new deal that would be a bad sign, in my opinion. 

Edited by wit33

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Oh yeah, I have zero idea one way or another which team he’ll decide to go to. Don’t really care to speculate on that kind of stuff. Just saying the draft picks or players won’t matter as much as it will be who Wilson decides to play with. If he decides Eagles, he’ll be an Eagle (or whatever team). 

Your point suggests that you don't believe that Wilson won't be heavy handed as to picking his next spot.  One article as I mentioned, suggested from some who knew Wilson that they didn't expect him to be heavy handed as for picking his next spot, suggesting he's fairly amenable on that count.  I am guessing within reason ala wouldn't want to go to bottom dweller teams or teams that play in the boondocks. 

You can be right, they can be wrong or vice versa.   My point is the idea that Wilson will be really hands on telling Seattle where he wants to go has some logic to it but we don't know that is a certainty.

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He’s a bit of a Hollywood dude, it will be interesting to see where goes. He’s not my kind of dude from afar, but who cares about that lol if he’s providing borderline elite returns. 

He has the reputation of being a bit aloof.  Ala what some say about Justin Herbert, Kirk, Aaron Rodgers, etc. All those dudes are different cats but judging by some reporters they all have a variation of that in common.  The Seattle reporter on Sheehan today didn't bite on that point when Sheehan tried to lead him there.

lol, I admit I am a sucker for players who are cool with kids -- back when I was a kid I loved collecting autographs and through this day I recall the players who are cool on that front and those who aren't.

From a fans perspective, Jonathan Allen and Payne, from what I've observed are the only two stars on this team that don't sign autographs at least in the practices that I attended.  Allen though seems to do it on miltiary appreciation days.   

I never ask for autographs or attention at my age.  But I do observe what players do what with kids.  Growing up a big baseball fan, I recall how cool and generous Cal Ripkin was with young fans. 

Chase Young wasn't allowed to sign autographs last year because of COVID but was super generous with his time, chatted with fans from a distance for like 25 minutes after practice.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Other than his hands what are Pickett's flaws?

I would argue he doesn't have many flaws as such - but he also doesn't have any single characteristic that is elite. 

Decent size at 6-3 220 but not prototypical, decent mobility but not elite, good arm (certainly better than Heinicke!) but not a howitzer. Has anyone mentioned he has small hands and wears gloves? (Seriously he did struggle badly throwing in the rain at the Senior Bowl)

He is accurate though and has good mechanics. You don't need to be physically dominating at QB if you have above baseline physical skills can process and consistently make good decisions. Is he that guy?

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, I admit I am a sucker for players who are cool with kids -- back when I was a kid I loved collecting autographs and till this day I recall the players who are cool on that front and those who aren't.

It's my only beef with Jonathan Allen and Payne, I've seen him in so many camps and never saw them sign a single autograph for a kid.  Allen though seems to do it on miltiary appreciation days.   I never ask for autographs or attention at my age.  But I do observe what players do what with kids.  Growing up a big baseball fan, I recall how cool and generous Cal Ripkin was with young fans. 

Chase Young wasn't allowed to sign autographs last year because of COVID but was super generous with his time, chatted with fans from a distance for like 25 minutes after practice.  

That was one reason I was so bummed out about everything that happened with Derrius Guice besides the obvious talent. Dude actually loved the fans was constantly inviting fans to go bowling or the movies with him. He seemed to genuinely enjoy those interactions. Really sucked when all that stuff came about his character issues.

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Your point suggests that you don't believe that Wilson won't be heavy handed as to picking his next spot.  One article as I mentioned, suggested from some who knew Wilson that they didn't expect him to be heavy handed as for picking his next spot, suggesting he's fairly amenable on that count.  I am guessing within reason ala wouldn't want to go to bottom dweller teams or teams that play in the boondocks.

I guess there’s a chance he won’t be “heavy handed” with his next football team. That seems highly unlikely, especially with an athlete of his status. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He has the reputation of being a bit aloof.  Ala what some say about Justin Herbert, Kirk, Aaron Rodgers, etc. All those dudes are different cats but judging by some reporters they all have a variation of that in common.  The Seattle reporter on Sheehan today didn't bite on that point when Sheehan tried to lead him there.

For sure, you can pretty much get away with anything if you provide great to elite returns. 

I heard that reporter, any chance you know how old that guy is? Just curious, he came off like a younger dude/fan. 

Edited by wit33

12 minutes ago, wit33 said:

For sure, you can pretty much get away with anything if you provide great to elite returns. 

I heard that reporter, any chance you know how old that guy is? Just curious, he came off like a younger dude/fan. 

Don't know his age but he seemed oddly somehwat hero worshipping of Wilson for a professional reporter.  

• Like 1

"It's a clean slate as the Commanders, and I think it's an opportunity to be part of something that I think is going to be unique and special," he said. "I love where we are, I love where we're located. I love the community that we play for. I love the division that we're in, because I think it's a very good football division. And it's also a division that has a lot of the top TV markets.

"I'm making my pitch, if you notice, Michael."

Rivera laughed, then continued.

"I like our team. I like where we are. You know, we've got the No. 6 ranked offensive line, so we have a chance to protect the guy. We've got a 1,000 yard rusher [Antonio Gibson], we have a 1,000 yard receiver [Terry McLaurin]. I can go down the list. But I do think that this is something that we most certainly can use as we start going through the whole thing. And we'll see what happens."

What's happened since the end of the season is a rare opportunity for Rivera to step back and catch his breath.

He's been in California with his father, Eugenio, who recently celebrated his 87th birthday. An Army veteran, Eugenio was "fired up" when he first saw the new Commanders name and branding, the younger Rivera said.

"There's a lot of lessons that I learned from him that I use in my coaching," Rivera said. "So it was really kind of cool to be able to spend some time with him on his 87th birthday."

The challenges in Washington are never too far away, though, and while investigations continue into owner Dan Snyder's behavior in past years, Rivera wants the current operation to feel good about what they've achieved over the past two years.

During his annual press conference Wednesday, commissioner Roger Goodell noted that an independent audit of employees found they felt the team was making progress in key areas.

"I mean, there's a long way to go," Rivera said. "But as things start to get better and better in the facility, on the team, you begin to feel the growth.

"That's what's gratifying, is to know that you are making the impact, you are beginning to see people appreciate where we're headed. So that's been good to hear. I really do appreciate those types of messages."

As rumors swirl about trades for Wilson or other top quarterback candidates, Rivera isn't shying away from the importance of finding the right fit, particularly as the team launches its new name this season.

"Just so we can get off on the right foot, more so than anything else," Rivera said. "I think the expectations, you know, are going to be what they're going to be. But knowing that what we have to do to help the brand, as the team, is win.

"That's the most important thing, because winning elevates everything. It creates a positive atmosphere. It reinforces that positive atmosphere that you're trying to create.

"But again, you know, the proof will be in the pudding. We're gonna have to go out and do it. We just can't talk about it."

With the Winter Olympics underway, Rivera also reminisced on the time he took a curling lesson with his family.

"I'm gonna tell you right now, that is a legitimate sport," Rivera said. "You will use more muscles than you realize.

"If you're one of the sweepers, that is not easy, because you're bent over, so you're using your lower back muscles. You're sweeping and brushing, so you're using your upper back, your shoulders, your biceps, your triceps, your forearms and your grip. Then you're shuffling your feet. So you're using your inner groin, your thighs, your calves and all your feet muscles. And you're trying not to slip and fall on your face.

"And then if you're the one that's got to push the stone, getting the right speed is not as easy as it looks. When you go to push it off, you've got to get into that really low crouch with one leg forward and one leg back. And unless you're extremely flexible, it is not easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

If Russ doesn’t want to go To Philly he’s not going to Philly. If Russ wants to be in Washington, he’ll be in Washington. Why we are hearing “sales pitch” being ready, it’s for the player. 

If both sides come to an agreement on a trade happening, obviously. 

I think the "sales pitch" thing is more getting Wilson to put us on his list of teams he'd give an ok to for a trade. Since he has that no-trade clause you basically have to be on his list of acceptable teams to even be considered. The sales pitch is basically just a way to get us in the door. Then would come the more painful part about seeing if we could offer enough to Seattle.

Wilson is great but the ONLY thing that scares me is thinking about when we got McNabb, he was what, 34 when he came here, and clearly washed up. Do we think Wilson has at least 3-4 GREAT years left? If so, you sign/trade him if at all possible. But I just don't want to sign another QB towards the end of their career who's only going to decline each year...its why I'd much rather get Watson (assuming he's cleared) or by some miracle can we steal Murray if he's not happy in Arizona? ;)

Edited by Giddy4Gibson

7 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Exactly. Jalen Hurts isn’t going to move the needle. He’s just another QB someone will be looking to upgrade. 

We don't know how Seattle feels about Hurts but I am sure anyone would like him better than Heinecke which is all we have to offer

They also have higher picks than we do

Edited by VirginiaVibes

2 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

We don't know how Seattle feels about Hurts but I am sure anyone would like him better than Heinecke which is all we have to offer

They also have higher picks than we do

They have more picks this year. They don’t have higher picks. I totally agree that their 3 picks this year is better value than #11 plus picks in subsequent years. 

If I’m moving on from Wilson, I either want a top 12 QB or elite players and I’ll try to get an elite QB in another way. Unless I’m looking for 8-8, Hurts isn’t going to sway my decision making. 

Chase Young > Hurts as a trade asset.