Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

I dont get where this comes from. With a MVP caliber QB he has a middling record. Sure hes a great guy but record wise he appears to be one of the most overrated HCs in the entire league while also putting together one of the worst FO in football. 

Leading men is not easy.  Especially when they’re paid way mora than you are as a coach.  If the players do not believe in what you are selling as a coach, good luck.  RR is a winner.  A grinder long money winner.  

10 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Great catch.  He was 33 at the start of the season but turned 34 in early September.

Wilson is the outlier for his career so far, but that doesn't mean he will be good going forward.

You get 5 years out of RW because he takes care of himself, and we have a good OL.  We need to look for a rookie to fill his shoes while he is here.  With the QBs coming out next year, we might try and draft one in the 2nd or if one they like this year's crop and one slips to the 2nd, they may draft that QB.  I'd make Payne, Ioannidis, Young available.  Commanders could even do a sign and trade with Brandon Scherff if they wanted to be creative.  

Edited by RWJ

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Commanders could even do a sign and trade with Brandon Scherff if they wanted to be creative.

Wrong sport 

6 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

RR is a winner

His record says otherwise. Exceedingly average with one of the top 5 QBs in the game for the majority of his tenure. 

One thing about waiting until the 23 draft; you don’t other teams are thinking the same thing?

Detroit probably rides with Golf one more year. They will probably still have a Top 10 pick in 23; where they can draft their next qb.

Giants are riding with Jones this year. They may trade down from #7 and pick up draft capital for 23. Since they have #5, they can use that pick to get what they want.

Atlanta- Having the only vet qb; they may make a run for the division and then get a qb in 23.

We may wait until 23 to draft a qb but odds are strong their will be other qb needy teams ahead of us and in better position to draft the top qbs of 23.

:ols:  This has been one of my worries with all the talk of Russell Wilson coming here. We seem to be convincing ourselves more and more every day (with plenty of goading from spots media) that it's a real possibility.

I still say it's probably a less than 5% chance it happens. We'd have to convince him to add us to his short list (which we reportedly aren't on at the moment) and then also convince the Seahawks to trade him within the NFC.

Some people are going to end up with their hearts broken over this when we find out later that it was never even close and it was all just media hype.

• Thumb up 2

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

:ols:  This has been one of my worries with all the talk of Russell Wilson coming here. We seem to be convincing ourselves more and more every day (with plenty of goading from spots media) that it's a real possibility.

I still say it's probably a less than 5% chance it happens. We'd have to convince him to add us to his short list (which we reportedly aren't on at the moment) and then also convince the Seahawks to trade him within the NFC.

Some people are going to end up with their hearts broken over this when we find out later that it was never even close and it was all just media hype.

Could be but last year Stafford was traded from the Lions (NFC) to the Rams (NFC).  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Could be but last year Stafford was traded from the Lions (NFC) to the Rams (NFC).  

The Rams offered a boatload. Typically when QBs are traded teams look to the opposite conference. Conversation with an in conference team is a non starter unless the offer is significant. 

So to get Wilson we will need to outbid everyone. And then there’s a chance. 

The likelihood is small. Anyone that is hoping this happens should reel expectations in. But there IS a chance. My guess is a small one. But a chance.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Oh I have no illusions that snagging Wilson is a high probability, all I am saying is that if we did land him I'd be happy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

The Rams offered a boatload. Typically when QBs are traded teams look to the opposite conference. Conversation with an in conference team is a non starter unless the offer is significant. 

Unless you are Andy Reid trading McNabb to the Skins.

I seem to remember people talking up Stafford quite a bit at this time last year even though it looked clear that he was going to be traded. This year, in relatively similar circumstances, it looks like there is quite a bit of energy going into talking Wilson down.

I will say, early in his career, it seemed whenever we were in the playoffs, he was there to ruin it.

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We may wait until 23 to draft a qb but odds are strong their will be other qb needy teams ahead of us and in better position to draft the top qbs of 23.

Agree. If the plan is to wait, you have to tank to a 3 win season to make it viable. That’s not where we are. It has got to happen this year.

The problem with the do-it-later plan is that we have shown that we are good enough to win seven games starting a backup QB and we are good enough to win seven games starting a one-legged QB. Neither of those will ever get you one of the top three picks. So, whatever year you choose to roll the dice, it's going to have to be a part of a trade up package. That's what makes trading for a vet QB problematic. If you think the trade nets you a guy who can lead you deep into the playoffs for a few years and make you a Superbowl contender through 2025, it's worth it. If you think the QB only has one to three prime years left and you give up assets to get him that preclude you from getting the draft pick then it isn't worth it.

In other words, I'm more okay with trading multiple firsts to land a top tier QB that makes us a contender than I am trading a second or third to make us competitive. Making us competitive is running in quicksand.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree. If the plan is to wait, you have to tank to a 3 win season to make it viable. That’s not where we are. It has got to happen this year.

guys like Mahomes and Watson make it to around our draft slot this year

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

So to get Wilson we will need to outbid everyone. And then there’s a chance. 

He can ‘force’ the trade of his choice due to the no trade clause, so I think as long as we are close in terms of trade capital, it will be down to cash, and fully guaranteed cash. We are going to have to offer him a contract that will far exceed anything else on offer. I really can see 5 years - 200mil. Maybe that’s way off. Don’t know.

I’m also thinking

2022 1st and 2nd

2023 1st and 2nd

2024 1st

Maybe they throw a couple of mid rounders back. 

Got to do what it takes. #TakeCommand :ols:

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

guys like Mahomes and Watson make it to around our draft slot this year

Oh ideal, well just have one of those then.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Trading for established 33 yo QBs hasn't worked and throwing a ton of draft picks at the draft hasn't worked, but what if we do them both together?

The Rams basically just did this but they already had roster that was a lot closer to a championship and is 4 quarters away from one come this Sunday compared to this team that missing quite a few pieces.  

Just now, NoVaSkins21 said:

The Rams basically just did this but they already had roster that was a lot closer to a championship and is 4 quarters away from one come this Sunday compared to this team that missing quite a few pieces.  

I think we're a QB and MLB away from being just as good or better personally. 

• Like 4