Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Yeah I dont see a path to them getting the answer correct this year but the swing needs to be taken this year. I wont ever have them in the running for one of the elite guys until the team is elite and right now it isnt. Still think its one of the lower tier rosters. Nothing in the coaching staff screams "I want to be there" for a QB. Plus you have Dan.

The rookies are clearly a step below the top 4 last year. 

I don't think this is necessarily true. There just don't seem to be the same consensus top guys.

There were plenty of people who said this about the 2017 QB class as well, since that also lacked those clear cut blue chip prospects going in the top 2. But from that draft we got Mahomes and Watson at 10 and 12.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. There just don't seem to be the same consensus top guys.

There were plenty of people who said this about the 2017 QB class as well, since that also lacked those clear cut blue chip prospects going in the top 2. But from that draft we got Mahomes and Watson at 10 and 12.

Outside of Willis I think the ceilings of the rest are guys who you can hope reach the Kirk and Carr levels of QB play. That just isnt good enough any more. 

I think the comparison between this draft and the 17 draft is ridiculous. Watson and Mahomes were clearly talented to everyone but had major questions about them. Mahomes had the air raid and some terrible mechanics. Watson had injury concerns. Thats not the case with these guys. The major concerns are the ceilings. 

33 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Outside of Willis I think the ceilings of the rest are guys who you can hope reach the Kirk and Carr levels of QB play. That just isnt good enough any more. 

I think the comparison between this draft and the 17 draft is ridiculous. Watson and Mahomes were clearly talented to everyone but had major questions about them. Mahomes had the air raid and some terrible mechanics. Watson had injury concerns. Thats not the case with these guys. The major concerns are the ceilings. 

I think you should change this to "my major concern is the ceilings". We don't have any indication that NFL coaches and GMs share your view that they mostly have low ceilings. There is plenty of talent in this QB class, but the guys all have question marks that keep them out of that consensus blue chip spot.

29 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Not that this totally relates to what you’re saying, as I agree with attempting to find the elite guy, but feel there’s middle ground with some of the above average to good guys like the two you mentioned. I can easily project Kirk being in the same position Stafford finds himself (SB with Rams), but not at his salary cap number. This level of QB cannot be a financial liability if the sole goal is to win consistently and be a championship caliber type team. 

There’s some nuance though, establishing a level of competence on a rookie deal has tremendous value. Or getting one these types of QBs at a time when their contracts are financial assets is helpful as well.

If Mathew Stafford becomes a $40mil per year guy this or next off season his value goes down a great deal, IMO. Rams will be done being contenders. My guess is there was a handshake agreement Stafford will play his remaining two years at his current pay rate to assist team in going for a SB championship.

If Stafford continues to play ball financially with Rams he might find himself in the Hall of Fame. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I think you should change this to "my major concern is the ceilings". We don't have any indication that NFL coaches and GMs share your view that they mostly have low ceilings. There is plenty of talent in this QB class, but the guys all have question marks that keep them out of that consensus blue chip spot.

From what have heard from media with scout quotes over the past couple months the league shares the view. We'll see if this week and the rest of draft season changes their minds

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

. I can easily project Kirk being in the same position Stafford finds himself (SB with Rams), but not at his salary cap number.

And this is the issue. All decent QBs get paid right now. If youre not one of those elite guys your contract becomes the deterrent. If youre on a rookie QB contract it might work but you still need the elite team around you. 

And for what its worth Stafford is in a completely different category than Kirk. 

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/02/04/gameplan-nfl-diversity-head-coach-owners-rivera-flores

Will quarterback dominos start to fall? In 2017, the Chiefs offloaded Alex Smith during Super Bowl week. Last year, the Lions moved Matthew Stafford to the Rams even earlier than that, getting a trade in place on the Saturday of the Super Bowl bye week. So could things accelerate in the next week or two? It’d make some sense. First, teams were together over the last four days in Mobile to trade information, and start laying groundwork toward trades. Second, if you’re a team with a second-tier quarterback to trade, wanting to get ahead of Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers hitting the market in earnest would be smart. So keep an eye on this over the next week or so.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Rams paid over 40 million this year on the cap at QB.  It should be easier next year. 

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/31/salary-cap-impact-of-rams-trading-jared-goff-for-matthew-stafford/

Here’s the breakdown of Goff’s impact on the Rams’ salary cap, according to Over The Cap.

• 2021 dead money: $22.2 million
  • 2021 cap savings: $12.75 million

So essentially, instead of paying Goff $34.75 million in 2021 to be on the team, he’ll cost the Rams $22.2 million. It’s bad business to pay a player that much to be on another team, but Les Snead knew exactly what he was doing, just like with Brandin Cooks and Todd Gurley.

As for Stafford, he has two years left on his contract. His cap hits the next two seasons are as follows:

• 2021: $20 million cap hit
  • 2022: $23 million cap hit

I been watching the senior bowl practices and all the qb drills and Malik Willis has been head and shoulders above the rest. I like Pickett but he’s been rough, and I don’t like the fact he didn’t play in his bowl game, whereas Willis is the opposite. Apparently even volunteering to go visit kids when his DL were canceling since it was right after practice 

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Derek Carr on the ice at the NHL all star game in Vegas tonight 

"we cant wait to see you guys next year"

He’s not going anywhere. This isn’t a surprise. McDaniels isn’t an idiot. Trading Carr for the PR nightmare as a second chance head coach as his first official move would be really dumb. And why swap Carr and Wilson? The quarterback isn’t what stopped them from succeeding last year. 

Oh… and trade Carr for… a rookie? Not this year. 

Edited by KDawg

3 First Round Picks and whatever else it takes for Russell Wilson. Extend his contract. Full court charm offensive.  Provide him the access and avenues for whatever he and his family want for this next phase of their life and beyond. Wether it’s their faith, the community, politics, music, acting, whatever it is….commit to making it happen for them. Its gotta be a Godfather offer. We Have to make that call. 

https://apple.news/AQdxufEZnQxOsBHR6KhFYkw

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

3 First Round Picks and whatever else it takes for Russell Wilson. Extend his contract. Full court charm offensive.  Provide him the access and avenues for whatever he and his family want for this next phase of their life and beyond. Wether it’s their faith, the community, politics, music, acting, whatever it is….commit to making it happen for them. Its gotta be a Godfather offer. We Have to make that call. 

https://apple.news/AQdxufEZnQxOsBHR6KhFYkw

Do you include Chase Young in the offer for Wilson if necessary? I think you have to. The pickings are quickly becoming slimmer now that TB also needs a QB and Rodgers is apparently a lock for Denver (if he goes anywhere at all). Willis is apparently impressing Detroit more and more and they have the #2 pick. Bleacher Report has Willis pegged as a 3rd rounder but he is apparently impressing more and more teams. They say he has the most potential upside though and could eventually become like Josh Wilson, starting slow but eventually becoming top flight.

The problem is, I don't know if this team has the capability of developing a draft pick that needs work into a really good QB the way many other teams have been able to.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952630-malik-willis-is-nfl-drafts-most-polarizing-qb-prospect-in-weak-class

Edited by SonnySideUp

10 minutes ago, SonnySideUp said:

Do you include Chase Young in the offer for Wilson if necessary? I think you have to. The pickings are quickly becoming slimmer now that TB also needs a QB and Rodgers is apparently a lock for Denver (if he goes anywhere at all). Willis is apparently impressing Detroit more and more and they have the #2 pick. Bleacher Report has Willis pegged as a 3rd rounder but he is apparently impressing more and more teams. They say he has the most potential upside though and could eventually become like Josh Wilson, starting slow but eventually becoming top flight.

The problem is, I don't know if this team has the capability of developing a draft pick that needs work into a really good QB the way many other teams have been able to.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952630-malik-willis-is-nfl-drafts-most-polarizing-qb-prospect-in-weak-class

If I’m being honest yeah I’d do it.  It would so change the dynamic of the team that you’d have to consider almost anything imo. You’d still have picks to build (picks 2-7 x 3) and the cap will rise over the next 3 years to be able to spend so you can really go for it. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-