Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

37 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Breer says they offered more than a 1 and a 3 for Stafford, and that talks fell apart when Detroit started asking for players too.  First I heard of that. 

Big write up on our search for a QB. 

The Cowboys SI writer in the fall said we offered a 1 3 and a player but its never been leaked who the player was. 

Jimmy G would be the most predictable, chasing-mediocrity strategy possible, IMHO. Its Alex Smith 2.0. Its a middle finger the fan base that says "We dont care if we dont win as long as we dont suck and keep our Jobs"

I can already see Ron selling him to the media. "He's a winner", "he took a team to the Super Bowl", "he's competed and won at the highest levels".

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Jimmy G would be the most predictable, chasing-mediocrity strategy possible, IMHO. Its Alex Smith 2.0. Its a middle finger the fan base that says "We dont care if we dont win as long as we dont suck and keep our Jobs"

I can already see Ron selling him to the media. "He's a winner", "he took a team to the Super Bowl", "he's competed and won at the highest levels".

And he would get injured almost instantly in our uniform. Thats the other thing about this guy is that he is usually injured to some degree.

Edited by rumplestilskin

56 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Like you I am not into mediocrity and I'd be dissapointed if that ends up Plan A but I think you are jumping the gun.

You seemed stirred up about Ron settling for mediocrity when national reporter after national reporter and ditto the local ones are saying he's shooting for the fences and big time.

Heck I like to admit it when my theories are wrong, and it looks like it might be so about Deshaun Watson where I figured there is no way they'd chase him.  Standig has now said two times in a row that he heard that Watson is under consideration.  Doesn't mean they land him.  According to Keim, Watson has a loud no as far as waiving his trade clause to come here.  But still the fact that he's even on the table IMO spells their level of desperation considering the mega PR hit they'd take. 

No doubt they are shooting for the fences are ready to bid big.

If they fail its likely because of things that have nothing to do with Ron and everything to do with Dan and the dumpster fire of this organizaton over the last 20 years and change. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The biggest concern abotu this is that Ron Rivera really does get to take a big swing for a QB.  Because, as his 3 winning seasons in 12 now(I think) show, hes a below average coach, and now they might let him trade the future for a vet QB for a team thats just not good enough under Ron.  I dont mind trading 3 first for a top QB.  But thats when the rest of the team can be built and coached well enough, and I just dont have faith thats Ron.  Instead, if we let him go really aggressive for a top guy, you could end up being not only without your 1st this year, but your 2023 1st and 2024 1st which this team will likely need badly.

Edited by Peregrine
  • Thumb down 1

If we do go for Watson its worth swinging for the fences and making sure you get him because just the intent of interest will bring scrutiny regardless. Your damed if you do and damned if you dont and once we roll the dice we have to follow through. A top 5 QB who is young doesnt come available for no reason. We have to make a deal with the devil and I am cool with it unless he is charged criminally.

15 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

If we do go for Watson its worth swinging for the fences and making sure you get him because just the intent of interest will bring scrutiny regardless. Your damed if you do and damned if you dont and once we roll the dice we have to follow through. A top 5 QB who is young doesnt come available for no reason. We have to make a deal with the devil and I am cool with it unless he is charged criminally.

he has a no trade clause that he won't waive for us

Edited by MrJL

8 minutes ago, MrJL said:

he has a no trade clause that he won't waive for us

Yet. if he doesn't get much love he will open up to play anywhere he can. There are a lot of teams that don't want all his baggage.

Would Washington swallow their pride?  All his baggage just looks like a carry-on in Washington

• Like 2

Russell Wilson. The Seahawks don’t want to trade him but he’s not happy there and we can make them an offer they can’t refuse that helps them rebuild. 

Two firsts would be my initial offer and I’d go as high as adding a second, Daron Payne, or possibly another player.

Take a look at teams that need a QB and tell me why they are a better opportunity than us? New Orleans without Sean Payton? Denver (should be after Rodgers)? Giants? 

4 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Where and when does that come from? Before he was charged or before the trade deadline? I think his options will be different due to the circumstances.

I'm seeing around the begining of January, not sure how reliable the sites are

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I'm seeing around the begining of January, not sure how reliable the sites are

I think most reports stem from his original trade request prior to the accusations but only time will tell. As we know things have changed since then. Besides WFT, I believe the Steelers and Browns will be the players. Maybe Philly and the Fish. Of those teams we have just as much chance as any from a talent standpoint. We will see..

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Yet. if he doesn't get much love he will open up to play anywhere he can. There are a lot of teams that don't want all his baggage.

Would Washington swallow their pride?  All his baggage just looks like a carry-on in Washington

We could hire Dr. Drew as his personal life coach then scapegoat Drew when Deshaun trends back to his old ways at Good Guys. Dan would said he tried everything to make this above bar. 

1 hour ago, rumplestilskin said:

I think most reports stem from his original trade request prior to the accusations but only time will tell. As we know things have changed since then. Besides WFT, I believe the Steelers and Browns will be the players. Maybe Philly and the Fish. Of those teams we have just as much chance as any from a talent standpoint. We will see..

I think us and Carolina will be his choices at the end we got a good shot if we want him.

https://www.nfl.com/news/double-jointed-pittsburgh-qb-kenny-pickett-delays-hand-size-measurement-until-nf

Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett, whose hands are said to be quite small -- an AFC area scout whose region includes Pitt told NFL.com earlier this month that it's "under 9 (inches), for sure" -- declined to be measured on Monday when scouts took official measurements.

Bengals starter Joe Burrow plays in a cold-enough town himself, and he went through the same hand-size questions as a draft prospect. His hands measured an even 9" at the 2020 combine. It didn't prevent him from being the No. 1 overall pick of the 2020 draft, however, and clearly did not prevent him from leading the Bengals to a Super Bowl berth this year.''

A measurement of 9 inches is generally considered to be adequate.

• Haha 1

I really don’t think it is wildly unrealistic to see a situation where McDaniels wants Jimmy G in Vegas. Relationships like that hold strong around the league.

Both Carr and Jimmy G needs long term deals. Carr’s trade value will be as high as it is ever likely to be. 

Could McDaniels see a bigger picture, take a haul for Carr including the #11 pick plus a couple of others, maybe a couple of firsts and a second? trade for Jimmy G at a much lesser cost. Build from there.

I mean, none of us would do that would we :ols: but I think it’s still possible. McDaniels has a free path to Jimmy G. If he shows an interests then nobody is competing with that. Even the 49ers front office will be fair to Jimmy G I think and let him go where he prefers. 

And teams like us are seriously desperate to overpay for someone like Carr you would imagine.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

McDaniels and the Patriots guy who's now the GM don't want to extend Carr.

They like Jimmy G. from their days at the Patriots. They can get Jimmy and sign him for less than they can re-sign Carr.

They trade a #2 to SF to get Jimmy.  They extend him for a reasonable deal.

They trade Carr to us for 2 #1's

My God I really should read through the threads before posting. I’m still thinking the above is possible.

• Haha 1

The thing is that this team should've gone QB one of the last two years in the draft and instead went defense.  They would be set right now, especially if the 2020 pick was a QB.  This year's weak class if why Rivera is going to go hard after either Watson or Wilson.  This is  the definition of a rock and a hard place.

Edited by SAli457180

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I really don’t think it is wildly unrealistic to see a situation where McDaniels wants Jimmy G in Vegas. Relationships like that hold strong around the league.

I can imagine that. I can imagine thinking Jimmy G. would lead to a smoother transition/implementation of his system. It's certainly not unusual for coaches to want to bring their guy in.

I can also imagine that to be pretty far fetched and just wishful thinking. :ols:

• Like 1