Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

That's not the point. Its incredibly difficult to sustain success when you're having to play around your QB's weaknesses instead of being built around a strong one.

People keep saying "but imagine if Heinicke had one more receiver/running back/tight end etc. etc.". Okay fine. But what if we had a GOOD QB with those extra weapons? 

Lets not set our standards low anymore.

Yep. The time is now. When have we had a guy without question marks in the last 30 years? I am getting old and want to see a franchise QB with his name on our uniform before I die.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's a team game, fellas.  Team game.

"He had 7 wins" doesn't tell the whole story.  The team won 7 games when he was quarterbacking.

As erratic as he can be, I don't know how you guys can automatically act like it's a layup that he can get two more wins next year.  

I think it’s partly because it’s a team game. Heinike won 7 games with his playmakers hurt and jus awful, awful defense. 

I do think those who say Heinike’s been figured out could be right, but for much of the year Jack Del Rio called a defense that had me missing Haslett. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

49 minutes ago, samy316 said:

We have to stop this line of thinking.  Heinecke is NOT going to lead us to the playoffs.  He’s been figured out as a QB, not to mention that you have to limit your playbook because of his limitations.  You cannot have him as the starter going into next year.  He’s a backup at best.  If something goes terribly wrong this offseason where we don’t draft a QB, or sign or trade a QB through free agency, then we will have had a horrific off-season, and we’ll be the worst team in the division next year.

Keeping Heinecke as QB1 also puts to bed any ideas of us attracting any free agents on offense, and probably assures us of losing Terry in free agency.  For us to attract any free agents as it is, we either have to overpay, or dramatically upgrade the QB position to have a chance to compete.

My line of thinking is not to have Heinicke as QB1, I want to keep him as backup. 

12 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think it’s partly because it’s a team game. Heinike won 7 games with his playmakers hurt and jus awful, awful defense. 

I do think those who say Heinike’s been figured out could be right, but for much of the year Jack Del Rio called a defense that had me missing Haslett. 

I wonder if JDR would have a better defense if he hired the position coaches. He has to cook, he should hire the chefs

2 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

My line of thinking is not to have Heinicke as QB1, I want to keep him as backup. 

I agree. He has shown enough juice to be the backup. He just has physical limitations in arm strength. Thats not being critical its just being realistic. Otherwise No one can question his heart.

6 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

I agree. He has shown enough juice to be the backup. He just has physical limitations in arm strength. Thats not being critical its just being realistic. Otherwise No one can question his heart.

Brady doesn't throw deep passes, saw that in today's game, if you can coach up TH to throw shorter passes quicker he can win in this league. But will struggle if it ends up in a shootout. So you have to have a good D as well so that doesn't happen. There is always a balance in winning as the saying goes. 

With all that said, you still draft a QB or get a vet who is better than TH. 

Edited by zskins

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

Brady doesn't throw deep passes, saw that in today's game, if you can coach up TH to throw shorter passes quicker he can win in this league. But will struggle if it ends up in a shootout. So you have to have a good D as well so that doesn't happen. There is always a balance in winning as the saying goes. 

You need a strong arm to throw short passes too. Otherwise teams just play super tight press man and take that away too. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Houston may well have 3 picks in the top 7 if the Giants somehow get Watson. In that scenario you more than likely have 2 QBs going top 5, maybe 2 QBs top 3. Goff sucks so why the hell the Lions would ignore QB is a mystery to me. 

The Lions do need a QB, but the worst thing you can do is force a top 2 draft pick. It simply looks like a bad QB draft. It happens. In which case it's best to make a good pick rather than force a bad one. And Goff is at least passable. He's started 83 games in the FL, QB'd a team to the Super Bowl, and is still only 27. I don't want him as a long-term QB, but you could do a lot worse in the short term.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zskins said:

As stated above by Warhead. Arm strength does apply to all levels of the field. Taylor has good anticipation on many throws but when he has to drive it I personally dont see it. I am not hating on the guy I really like him. Unfortunately he is who he is and he is not a Franchise QB.

Caught up with Finlay's podcast.

On his part of it without Rivera.

1% shot at Rodgers, thinks its impossible

10% shot at Wilson, 10% at Watson, unlikely but doesn't see it as impossible.   Said he heard Watson's legal situation might be resolved in February.

In the Rivera interview part

Finlay goes I hear you guys need a QB.

Rivera chuckles and says "That is an understatement dude" and keeps laughing.

He uses the 4 different ways to fix that spot boiler plate line.  Finlay said in a different part in his broadcast that FAs typically don't have top tier QBs and Ron nodded his head when Finlay said that.

Rivera thinks the pieces are in place for a rookie to be successful, played up the O line, 1000 yd rusher, 1000 yd WR, good TE situation.  The WR spot can be better when Samuel gets healthy and hopefully Dyami takes a step up.  He goes he's not afraid to play rookies. 

Finlay said he was reluctant to give up much last year for a QB.  Rivera thinks they are in position to give up capital now whether its trading for a player or trading up in the draft and volunteered on his own that he'd be willing to trade a player in a package. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

As for Heinicke, Rivera can use that line all he wants about 4 different ways to fix that spot.  But he's making it crystal clear that Heinicke isn't seen as the solution.

Rivera laughing in that interview with Finlay when Finlay goes I hear you need a QB and Rivera goes that's an understatment dude and keeps on laughing -- if there was even a sliver of doubt that Rivera is waffiling about Heinicke being that guy, that sliver is dead and buried IMO. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

ideally the backup never plays so this idea "Oh, he's good enough to be the backup" isn't that great a compliment.  

44 minutes ago, MrJL said:

ideally the backup never plays so this idea "Oh, he's good enough to be the backup" isn't that great a compliment.  

"Ideally" is a broad term but your right you want to avoid having to play one. TH was the backup to Fitz so I wasnt complimenting yet just stating fact. He is a good backup QB who can win games.

1 hour ago, Jds0912 said:

So you don’t think TH could win just 2 more games with an easier schedule and a healthy surrounding cast? Keep in mind I have zero desire to have TH as our starting qb next year. 

I do think he could have this year.  However, this would have been a false positive. False positives should be scary to any WFT fans.

1978, 8-3 but could very easily have been 3-8.

1979, 10-6 to 6-10!

1999, 10-6 and after that were mediocre to suck.

2012, 2015 and maybe 2020?

This season, we lost 4 games we could have easily won (yes, 5 of our wins could easily have been losses). We could be arguing we just need a few tweaks instead of realizing we still need real work and be in for real pain in 2022. My bet is Eagles fans may be in for it due to their false positives season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

"Ideally" is a broad term but your right you want to avoid having to play one. TH was the backup to Fitz so I wasnt complimenting yet just stating fact. He is a good backup QB who can win games.

I never liked the Ryan fitzpatrick signing. I think he was a good backup as well at best a place holder. We got him because we failed at getting Stafford. I don't think Stafford and Fitzpatrick were that close in ability. When we did not get Stafford and got Fitzpatrick then did not draft someone it was a mistake. Fitzpatrick was never going to be a more then a one year place holder.

They need show me they know what they are doing this year because this year looks like a waste.

4 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

I do think he could have this year.  However, this would have been a false positive. False positives should be scary to any WFT fans.

1978, 8-3 but could very easily have been 3-8.

1979, 10-6 to 6-10!

1999, 10-6 and after that were mediocre to suck.

2012, 2015 and maybe 2020?

This season, we lost 4 games we could have easily won (yes, 5 of our wins could easily have been losses). We could be arguing we just need a few tweaks instead of realizing we still need real work and be in for real pain in 2022. My bet is Eagles fans may be in for it due to their false positives season.

Eagles have alot of picks to fix those false positives.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I never liked the Ryan fitzpatrick signing. I think he was a good backup as well at best a place holder. We got him because we failed at getting Stafford. I don't think Stafford and Fitzpatrick were that close in ability. When we did not get Stafford and got Fitzpatrick then did not draft someone it was a mistake. Fitzpatrick was never going to be a more then a one year place holder.

They need show me they know what they are doing this year because this year looks like a waste.

Having those picks are what makes it painful to be in that position.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Brady doesn't throw deep passes, saw that in today's game

This is massively incorrect, sorry. He’s been extremely efficient and active throwing deep balls since he got to TB. Leading the league for a while in fact. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I never liked the Ryan fitzpatrick signing. I think he was a good backup as well at best a place holder. When we did not get Stafford and did not draft someone it was a mistake.

I dunno, he was playing pretty good for the Fins in 2019 but we will never know what would have happened with Fitz at the helm. With the way the D came out flat for the first half,  If I was to guess I doubt the results would have been much better than what we got. I think he was the best option at the time for the short term considering Stafford went elsewhere and he didnt cost assets besides a little cash. He obviously wasnt the future .

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

If the WFT wants to make a move up to grab a signal caller, Pickett is the guy.  If they stay put the can settle for Corral who could be destined to be a very good QB in the NFL.  

Im not a college QB expert but if Corral is there without having to trade up that would be win win for the team judging by what most the folks around here are selling.

• Like 1

The information that emerged this week on the dysfunctional relationship between Nagy and Trubisky is making me like Mitch more as our vet (bridge) target

I hope the Bills OC Brian Daboll does not get a HC gig because I believe he will target and have the inside track on Mitch