Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

To no one: all things equal would you rather be drafted by da Bears or by the Manders? 

Caleb's coming home lets count those chickens like we did with Ben "Homebody" Johnson.

Hey rumors are rumors we all bought in on BJ coming here so it's kinda funny how we know which rumors are right and wrong yet pretend we weren't wrong when we bought in hook line and sinker - and are bitter instead. I think Cobweb has Cali connections and lets say he did have some insight but couldn't divulge his source it would sound an awful lot like he is now. Finding any way to rationalize it like playing off of Rapo saying "whatever team takes him" blah blah.

Half far too many in this country seem to be deep down the rabbit hole chasing conspiracy theories far more extreme than Calebs quietly hoping Chicago doesnt draft him.

Edited by RandyHolt

11 hours ago, Going Commando said:

We have two options at QB.

1 - pick Caleb Williams if he's there at 2.

2 - pick Drake Maye if Caleb goes #1.

Those are the only options we need.  This is a no brainer choice at 2.

The only option for me is Drake. Caleb is short and we have Sam at the same height (who is still a damn good passer). If Drake is not there then pair Sam with Harrison Jr. and build rest of OL and DL and a stud TE. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The rumors of Caleb not wanting Chicago have been refuted multiple times and no credible reporter has reported it.

I don't necessarily believe that rumor but as someone who has followed Caleb Williams since his HS days (Maryland recruited him hard), it wouldn't be out of character.

Heck, I hope he does force his way to D.C..

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I don't necessarily believe that rumor but as someone who has followed Caleb Williams since his HS days (Maryland recruited him hard), it wouldn't be out of character.

Yep so do I

Absolute killer move to get Williams. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I put some of this on the draft thread too

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/01/senior-bowl-bowers-penix-nix-draft-qb

1. The quarterback questions are legitimate

It’s an almost universal opinion that USC’s Caleb Williams, North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels are going to be the first quarterbacks taken in the draft, and potentially as the first three picks.

After them, Oregon’s Bo Nix and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. are likely next in line. As I wrote Wednesday night, that remains true, but the duo isn’t doing itself any favors here in Mobile.

While each put up massive numbers in the Pac-12 this year, there are real questions surrounding both.

Nix struggled at Auburn for three years, throwing for a combined 39 touchdowns against 16 interceptions while never eclipsing 2,600 passing yards in a season. At Oregon, playing in a much more quarterback-friendly scheme, his numbers skyrocketed. In 2023 alone, he threw for 4,508 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions.

In Mobile, Nix occasionally struggled with accuracy and getting the ball out. Considering his lack of chemistry with the receivers, some of that was understandable, but it still raises questions.

The same is true of Penix, who played four injury-marred seasons for Indiana and produced very little. Then, surrounded by a better scheme and elite receivers, Penix blossomed into a star, registering 67 touchdown passes and more than 9,500 yards over the past two campaigns.

Ultimately, with both quarterbacks facing questions of whether they or their schemes deserve more credit, and considering their ages are a concern (Nix turns 24 years old in February, as does Penix in May), this week hasn't helped either of their draft stock.

Gonna listen to a couple of podcasts this weekend with people at the senior bowl. Sometimes people see completely opposite stuff there, will be interesting if there's consensus agreement that neither Nix nor Penix helped their stock (I don't think it effects us at all, just interesting to think about). 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'd like to think this is simply because the other teams had their coaching staffs sorted, and FO organization, so it was simpler to predict, but can never account for stupid. Hopefully we're not morons, yet again. 

6 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Bless his heart

Lol, no kidding, thats part of the reason GM gigs and coaching are usually separated. 

13 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I'd like to think this is simply because the other teams had their coaching staffs sorted, and FO organization, so it was simpler to predict, but can never account for stupid. Hopefully we're not morons, yet again. 

Yeah. Or maybe they know there's some sort of potential monster offer on the table that the Commanders will have to consider at #2. And given we now have a defensive HC, and a GM that may be looking to build "the right way" ... there's a sliver of a chance that we just absolutely cash out on the #2 pick and set ourselves up for a massive amount of draft capital into the future.

On 2/1/2024 at 8:24 AM, RandyHolt said:

Fantasy XM guy this morning said he doesn't like Maye and thinks he will be this years Zach Wilson.

Wilson was a known head case though, and I don't think we've heard any of that about Maye.

I'm not saying that's the only reason he struggled.  But he is a head case.  (Also, I think Dax Milne is STILL dating his ex-girlfriend, and that makes me so happy. You go Dax. Live your best life.  Hope you get another opportunity elsewhere because it won't be here.  

19 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Lol, no kidding, thats part of the reason GM gigs and coaching are usually separated. 

He's stumping for his guy.  Good on him.  Nobody is going to believe him, but good on him for doing it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I don't think it's a complete slam dunk we draft a QB at 2 for one reason and one reason only:  Peters and now Quinn need to fall in love with either Maye or Daniels.  That's not a foregone conclusion.  Peters was JUST bitten by the Trey Lance draft pick.  I bet he learned a little from that.  

If they're not sold, they might trade down and pick a player they're sold on.  What they do at QB in that scenario is anybody's guess.  

I don't think they're going to pick a QB just to pick a QB because they can pick a QB.

What I don't see them doing is staying at #2 and NOT picking a QB.  That would be wild, and very curious.

But I could see them trading back into 5-9 with one of the teams who wants a QB if they don't love Maye or Daniels, assuming they don't go up to get Williams. 

I do think this is all moot however, because I think they're going to fall in love with one of the two of them and just pick him.  I'm personally not a McCarthy fan, but he might work his way into the conversation as well.  Who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Interesting. Thanks for the tidbit. I often wonder how many of these stories are just ways to fill a boring offseason leading up to the draft.  But actual knowledge of a player's behavior?  And the QB to boot. This place has been a soap opera for years. We don't need that. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I do think this is all moot however, because I think they're going to fall in love with one of the two of them and just pick him.

You truly understood the futility of your post and made it anyway...

It didn't have to go down like this...

spr.jpg.c69577394cbd49cca0a426c73e69619e.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah. Or maybe they know there's some sort of potential monster offer on the table that the Commanders will have to consider at #2. And given we now have a defensive HC, and a GM that may be looking to build "the right way" ... there's a sliver of a chance that we just absolutely cash out on the #2 pick and set ourselves up for a massive amount of draft capital into the future.

And that would be a colossal mistake. The '25 QB class sucks. How are gonna fix the only problem that has an outsized domino effect on all other aspects of the team? If they don't want a QB at 2, what's their plan exactly? Get a stop gap QB and be mediocre for the next decade? Trade down and roll the dice on a 30/70 over aged prospect? rather than a 50/50 to 55/45 one? It's not a sensible plan, at all. 

I get that this could be, really is the only reason possible they'd go another direction but it doesn't change the fact that it would be completely idiotic. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So, if I am reading the media gossip right, we're either trading up for #1 for Caleb since he refuses to play for Chicago, or we are trading out of #2 and passing on QB early? Is that right?

This will be a long 3 months.

Those are my 2 preferred scenarios so I’m fine with that.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think it's a complete slam dunk we draft a QB at 2 for one reason and one reason only:  Peters and now Quinn need to fall in love with either Maye or Daniels.  That's not a foregone conclusion.  Peters was JUST bitten by the Trey Lance draft pick.  I bet he learned a little from that.  

If they're not sold, they might trade down and pick a player they're sold on.  What they do at QB in that scenario is anybody's guess.  

I don't think they're going to pick a QB just to pick a QB because they can pick a QB.

What I don't see them doing is staying at #2 and NOT picking a QB.  That would be wild, and very curious.

But I could see them trading back into 5-9 with one of the teams who wants a QB if they don't love Maye or Daniels, assuming they don't go up to get Williams. 

I do think this is all moot however, because I think they're going to fall in love with one of the two of them and just pick him.  I'm personally not a McCarthy fan, but he might work his way into the conversation as well.  Who knows.

I get all that, I just view it as monstrously stupid. There was nothing wrong with falling in love with Trey Lance and rolling the dice. They had a QB who'd just missed large chunks of 2 of the prior 3 seasons and wanted a solution, they rolled the dice. They could afford the risk, just like we can. There was nothing wrong with that. If you don't have a QB, you have to get one, whether you are a beautiful build everywhere else, or a dumpster fire every where else, it doesn't matter. That was fine.

If they're not in love with this class, honestly I have no idea what to tell them. Get ready for another '22 in '25 (not that bad but close). This shouldn't be hard and there's no reason to make it hard. Pick Maye or Williams, or if you are willing to risk it (I wouldn't be, but so be it) take Daniels. Trading down into the Pickett/Haskins/Clausen tier is just asking for trouble. All those guys have much larger concerns (though like you, I like JJ, and if we'd been stuck in the 7-11 zone like it looked like in October, a trade down for JJ would have been my move, but then again I'm ---- at evaluating them specifically so don't take my advice, I can just sniff out busts, not grand slams). But they're at #2, which means it's QB and a no brainer. If they go away from that? Lets just say the coaching decision, was bad enough for me, that kind of decision would have me out already, period, on the GM and HC completely. This shouldn't be a hard decision. If we had a QB, I'd get it. We don't, so it should be easy. 

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Jim is literally the world's most highly functioning psychopath.

It's really a miracle that he hasn't died in some truly hilarious manner yet.

Now consider he was a butterfingers (kind of mean to say that, kinda not mean) dropped hail mary of potentially making the Super Bowl in '95 as the starting QB? Kind of wild. 

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So, if I am reading the media gossip right, we're either trading up for #1 for Caleb since he refuses to play for Chicago, or we are trading out of #2 and passing on QB early? Is that right?

This will be a long 3 months.

Highly skeptical. I would assume a GM with this guys rep would know why that's pure insanity, but you never know, even the smartest of them sometimes make foolish, terrible decisions a lot of the time. 

27 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

And that would be a colossal mistake. The '25 QB class sucks. How are gonna fix the only problem that has an outsized domino effect on all other aspects of the team? If they don't want a QB at 2, what's their plan exactly? Get a stop gap QB and be mediocre for the next decade? Trade down and roll the dice on a 30/70 over aged prospect? rather than a 50/50 to 55/45 one? It's not a sensible plan, at all. 

I get that this could be, really is the only reason possible they'd go another direction but it doesn't change the fact that it would be completely idiotic. 

Take #8, #43, a 2025 1st, 2026 1st and Kyle Pitts from Atlanta? Idk. I've played out that scenario a few times.

Who knows ... if they like someone like Jordan Travis, maybe you draft him in the 3rd and bring him in to compete with Howell for a year while you build the roster. Maybe it's not ideal, but if they don't fall in love with Maye or Daniels, they may see the upside in adding a boatload of picks and using those to not only build future QB draft capital, but improve the quality of the roster to better position for the growth of a future prospect. idk. 

Not advocating for it. But the FO could find appeal in something like:

1.8: Taliese Fuaga, OT Oregon State

2.36: Jackson Powers-Johnson, C Oregon

2.42: Kamari Lassiter, CB Georgia

2.43: Ladd McConkey, WR Georgia

3.67: Jordan Travis, QB Florida State

3.74: Edgerrin Cooper, LB Texas A&M

3.100: Blake Corum, RB Michigan

4.102: Ben Sinnott, TE Kansas State

4.108: Tommy Eichenberg, LB Ohio State

5.137: Tykee Smith, S Georgia

+ 2025 ATL 1st

+ 2026 ATL 1st

+ Kyle Pitts

Hard to argue that the offense wouldn't be absolutely chalk full of talent for Sam and Travis to build on. Defense gets reinvigorated with young talent. AND you've got a pair of 1's in the next 2 years of drafts. 

Yes, take the sure-thing. I'm ALL IN on QB at #2. But this is a "what if they don't fall in love" scenario. And it would be an incredibly exciting scenario. Because you're either getting your franchise QB or you're stock-piling talent in this draft and over the next two drafts in 2025 and 2026. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

2.43: Ladd McConkey, WR 

Are we sure Ladd is going to be around in the 2nd?? He's looked pretty damn impressive this week.  I would be absolutely over the moon if he did and he was there for us in the 2nd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Take #8, #43, a 2025 1st, 2026 1st and Kyle Pitts from Atlanta? Idk. I've played out that scenario a few times.

Who knows ... if they like someone like Jordan Travis, maybe you draft him in the 3rd and bring him in to compete with Howell for a year while you build the roster. Maybe it's not ideal, but if they don't fall in love with Maye or Daniels, they may see the upside in adding a boatload of picks and using those to not only build future QB draft capital, but improve the quality of the roster to better position for the growth of a future prospect. idk. 

Not advocating for it. But the FO could find appeal in something like:

1.8: Taliese Fuaga, OT Oregon State

2.36: Jackson Powers-Johnson, C Oregon

2.42: Kamari Lassiter, CB Georgia

2.43: Ladd McConkey, WR Georgia

3.67: Jordan Travis, QB Florida State

3.74: Edgerrin Cooper, LB Texas A&M

3.100: Blake Corum, RB Michigan

4.102: Ben Sinnott, TE Kansas State

4.108: Tommy Eichenberg, LB Ohio State

5.137: Tykee Smith, S Georgia

+ 2025 ATL 1st

+ 2026 ATL 1st

+ Kyle Pitts

Hard to argue that the offense wouldn't be absolutely chalk full of talent for Sam and Travis to build on. Defense gets reinvigorated with young talent. AND you've got a pair of 1's in the next 2 years of drafts. 

Yes, take the sure-thing. I'm ALL IN on QB at #2. But this is a "what if they don't fall in love" scenario. And it would be an incredibly exciting scenario. Because you're either getting your franchise QB or you're stock-piling talent in this draft and over the next two drafts in 2025 and 2026. 

My problem is the '25 QB class is crap, and if you get a ton of assets in the draft via trae down, plug holes etc, don't have the QB, but fill all the other holes in, suddenly your stuck in the classic 7-10 to 10-7 zone, perpetually in contention for a wild card spot, but never, ever in contention to matter, at all, period, unless one of those rando-dart throw QB's hits big. 

I'm not interested in that approach at all. I would be interested in tanking for a '26 QB, but we'd be stock piling too many assets to approach being in position to get the stud of '26 or speculative options in the class.

So for me, I have zero interest. 

Additionally, I'm not a Corum guy (he's fine, but not special and we already have that), I don't like the TE's particularly after bowers. I do like the idea of getting Pitts on the cheap, I don't like the idea that Pitts would be in what, year 4 or year 3 of his career?

I'd rather just draft Maye, or Williams. Take a roll of the dice with one of the best 5 QB prospects from the past decade of classes, hope we hit. Just makes more sense to me. I don't want to be good enough to not matter but not get humiliated 4 out of every 5 seasons, and that's what this recipe sounds like to me. Basically like being the Saints with dalton behind center instead of Brees last decade. That's not attractive to me. Give me Brees, and I'll figure out the rest. 

• Like 2