Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This offseason is really starting to get to you guys lol

Its hard to argue that the ways to legally hit a QB haven't changed significantly since we watched RG3 get crumpled regularly and I think that's all he is trying to say. NFL is trying to protect playmakers for sure. Will it help Daniels? Hopefully lol. 

I get what he's trying to say, but he's not actually saying anything. He somehow thinks that refs are just going to stop people from hitting Jayden Daniels the running back because.....he's Jayden Daniels?

Sure, they're trying to protect QBs, but that's mostly in the pocket. And they're trying to protect players in general with banning certain types of hits and tackles, but that absolutely doesn't stop guys from getting hit very hard legally. My point is that Daniels can still absolutely get hit very hard, legally. And he probably will due to how often he tucks and runs and how bad he is at getting down.

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

These oddly amusing back and forth arguments, with absolutely no possibility of agreement between parties, reminds me that most children eventually conclude that playing tic tac toe is a senseless, impossible to win endeavor.

Shall We Play A Game? - Wednesday, December 15, 2021 - 11 ...

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Millers statement from the above mock scenario is confusing to me. 

"Maye might have more upside, but Daniels is ready to excel right now."

Is he saying that Drake Maye will most likely be better than Daniels in the long run? That Daniels has a lower Ceiling but will get us to 9-8 faster?  Strange final sentence....almost like a cop-out.

That's right folks, it's finally here, the day we've all been waiting for: Joe Milton's pro day!!!

It's my understanding that today Joe will literally throw a football through a (very very wide and very very tall) brick wall, followed by racing an actual speeding train. 

I'm so excited! 

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, tmandoug1 said:

Millers statement from the above mock scenario is confusing to me. 

"Maye might have more upside, but Daniels is ready to excel right now."

Is he saying that Drake Maye will most likely be better than Daniels in the long run? That Daniels has a lower Ceiling but will get us to 9-8 faster?  Strange final sentence....almost like a cop-out.

If that’s the opinion of the front office it would be malpractice to take Daniels. That’s a Rivera type move…

Listen.  I like Daniels.

I like his footwork.  I like his hitch steps.  I like his quick release.  I love the touch on his deeper throws.  I like him going thru progressions.  I think a lot of issues about anticipation are a little overblown.  I'm concerned about throw velocity but I'm not mortified.

I hate his propensity to run when forced off spot rather than extend and throw.

But boy do I love watching him run.

But.

But.  None of that is gonna matter when he is hit by a 240 pound linebacker launching their shoulder at 20 mph into his side 15 yards past the line of scrimmage and then landing on top of his hips and legs.

All that matters in that moment, is can your body take that hit.  And for Daniels, it's more like, can your body take that hit 10-20 times a year.

If the answer is no?  Get him outta here.

We've had to watch RGIII and Alex Smith get, for all intents and purposes, NFL career ending injuries in just the last 12 years.

I want his body to be able to take it.  If he can't, nothing else matters.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If he's so inaccurate beyond 5 yards how does he have the most big time throws of any QB coming out over the last several years?

We can say the same thing about Sam Howell.....how was he leading the league in passing yards?  We were throwing the ball all over the yard

Watch the film....not the stats.  He's a developmental QB right now.  I would not touch that kid in the first round.  Watch the Virginia film and tell me what you think.

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, Dexter said:

We can say the same thing about Sam Howell.....how was he leading the league in passing yards?  We were throwing the ball all over the yard

Watch the film....not the stats.  He's a developmental QB right now.  I would not touch that kid in the first round.  Watch the Virginia film and tell me what you think.

Every rookie QB is a developmental QB.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think we’re in a position to afford the time to develop Maye with a new GM and coaching staff (ie they’ll have at least a couple years before their seats might start to heat up), and the ability to improve our record, even if our qb play isn’t great, due to an improved roster/coaching staff.  Even if we don’t see improvement in our record (or much of one), it’ll be fairly understandable given we’re basically fielding an overhauled roster and implementing new schemes on both sides of the ball.  In other words, “blame” will be shared all around vs being leveled mostly at Maye.

I expect the Vikings to come up to 3 for Daniels (though I’m not as certain that we take Maye as some).

Note - I’m not saying Daniels is inherently much more pro ready than Maye (though I see the argument).

Note 2 - I’m pretty sure my 13 year old has bigger legs than Daniels, and he’s like 5’2 (and not a ‘stout’ 5’2 either).  I’m probably a lot less concerned about Daniels’ frame than some on here, but it is still scary how thin he is… and putting on some weight ain’t changing that thought for me.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I get what he's trying to say, but he's not actually saying anything. He somehow thinks that refs are just going to stop people from hitting Jayden Daniels the running back because.....he's Jayden Daniels?

Sure, they're trying to protect QBs, but that's mostly in the pocket. And they're trying to protect players in general with banning certain types of hits and tackles, but that absolutely doesn't stop guys from getting hit very hard legally. My point is that Daniels can still absolutely get hit very hard, legally. And he probably will due to how often he tucks and runs and how bad he is at getting down.

Nobody is saying the refs will protect Jayden because he is Jayden. You are misrepresenting my post. My entire point is that the league is doing everything they can to protect the players, and yes that means more flags come out on borderline hits, especially with QBs, and even more so players the league has branded to be “exciting to watch”. They don’t want those players sitting on the bench do to injury. In today’s nfl, smaller guys are able to thrive because there are rules in place to protect guys from dangerous hits. 

7 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Nobody is saying the refs will protect Jayden because he is Jayden. You are misrepresenting my post. My entire point is that the league is doing everything they can to protect the players, and yes that means more flags come out on borderline hits, especially with QBs, and even more so players the league has branded to be “exciting to watch”. They don’t want those players sitting on the bench do to injury. In today’s nfl, smaller guys are able to thrive because there are rules in place to protect guys from dangerous hits. 

They can do whatever they want. Once again, there is no protection against basic physics. When Kayvon Thibodeaux or Micah Parsons come at you full speed, they could break Daniels in half no matter how fast he runs.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Sam Howell didn't come out of college with an obscenely high big time throw rating like Maye did. PFF's definition of a big time throw is "passes with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window"

And I have watched the film. I've watched the film and looked at the stats and they back each other up. Maye makes a high number of NFL level throws. 2nd level, tight window, middle of the field, anticipation. That's why his big time throw number is so high.

Does he have things he has to clean up and fix with his footwork, etc? Of course. Pretty much every prospect does. But his ability to make those NFL throws NOW is a huge plus for him vs a guy like Daniels who has a low number of them or McCarthy who just doesn't pass the ball that much.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The hip drop swivel tackle is a dirty play where you intentionally try and take a guys legs out from behind.  It's something smaller tacklers do against a bigger ball carrier who are running through the contact.  The hip drop tackle was not banned, only the variation of it where you swing around and land on the back of the guy's legs, and yeah, its like a worse version of a horse collar.  It's a specific tackle that will have no bearing on Jayden's career one way or another, because not a single defensive player in the NFL will have trouble chopping his skinny ass down.  The dude has no strength.  He just gets trucked right in the middle of his chest, often by cornerbacks, and it's because he tries to cut the ball back into the middle of the field late because he can't see past the guy directly in front of him.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

There is no excuse to not run and not get weighed same day. The guy is a coward. He should be off our board. Period. 

I won't go as far as to call him a coward but I agree. We need to see him with more weight AND maintain that high speed. His value plummets if he goes up to 210 and all of a sudden is only running a 4.5. If he's not a 4.4 40 guy WITH 210-ish weight then he's almost undraftable in my eyes. Because as a pure passer he's nothing special.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I won't go as far as to call him a coward but I agree. We need to see him with more weight AND maintain that high speed. His value plummets if he goes up to 210 and all of a sudden is only running a 4.5. If he's not a 4.4 40 guy WITH 210-ish weight then he's almost undraftable in my eyes. Because as a pure passer he's nothing special.

He is withholding crucial information. Without that information we can’t make a fully informed decision at 2 and in my opinion he should be off the board. He is withholding that information because he knows it will likely reflect poorly on him. He is afraid to provide it. Hence he is a coward. 

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

He is withholding crucial information. Without that information we can’t make a fully informed decision at 2 and in my opinion he should be off the board. He is withholding that information because he knows it will likely reflect poorly on him. He is afraid to provide it. Hence he is a coward. 

Is he not weighing and running today?

2 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

Is he not weighing and running today?

Not running. He likely gained water weight for the weigh in and can’t run fast so he isn’t running. It’s effectively a scam. He already refused to get measured at the combine, left the combine early and now this. The guy is a headache diva afraid to show who he actually is. Put it out there and let the chips fall. But nope, he wants to dupe a team. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

The guy is a headache diva afraid to show who he actually is. 

Thats a jump bro hes just trying to get drafted and its probably what his Agent says lol. Yall gotta chill 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1