Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

According to what I read he had 23 starts with the dolphins and started 12 games last year with the Texans.

Where did you read that he only had starter snaps his rookie year?

Lucas has started a lot of games for us, but that doesn't make him a starter.

Here are his snap counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DeitMi00.htm

~1000 snaps is playing a season's worth of snaps as a starting OL.  Looks like Deiter spot started those other two years in Miami and Houston that you are referring to, and it was 10 starts in Houston, but only 686 snaps.  A 28 year old third contract player with only one full season of starts in his career is not really a credible plan for a starter.  That was Nick Gates's resume too.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

its run if the first read is covered.

I have to think we all know at this point, this far down the analytical road with all these top QB prospects, that this statement about Daniels is patently false. Not sure why folks keep regurgitating nonsense when we've got plenty of valid Daniels concerns to point to.

A more accurate statement would be, Daniels goes through his progressions too fast and then runs when, with a little more patience, he'd see open receivers. But stop making him out to be a 1-read-and-run RG3 clone. He's not.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet - but the possibilities if we draft Jayden Daniels......not gonna lie,  the "feel goods" is off the charts!  

Ummm, what the heck is this?

So much for feel goods.

Screenshot_20240326_122835_Chrome.thumb.jpg.be63d4297c975077ef42af7c008aaf8d.jpg

Edited by redskinss
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

I am not high on McCarthy - I dont think he has the ceiling of Maye or Daniels. I'm not sure I would take him first round period (but I am an outlier on that I suspect). But lets keep this serious, he absolutely has an NFL arm and throws a good ball.

Unless the scouts Bob McGinn talked to were lying to him, you aren't alone on this. 

But Jim Harbaugh would I gather think you are crazy or anyone who doesn't see him as a higher end version of Mahomes and Brady wrapped up in one

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Can't be bad at throwing off schedule if you never throw off schedule.

image.png.bae0401ed03d5333c0067c9319f48c48.png

Yep just like....

Accuracy numbers are higher when you wait for the WRs to open before you throw.  Less picks that way, too.

That was RG3's calling card, he would brag that he doesn't throw picks but he was another who didn't throw with anticipation.  But yeah its much easier to do that when you aren't throwing to a spot.  If you throw to a spot and the Wr doesn't get there, it can end in a pick.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Ummm, what the heck is this?

So much for feel goods.

Screenshot_20240326_122835_Chrome.thumb.jpg.be63d4297c975077ef42af7c008aaf8d.jpg

Say it ain't so Joe!!!!

Did I skip back into the wrong multi-verse again.

Damn Acme time distortion black hole simulator!!

I know I should've paid extra for the Sony!!

Arggghhhh!

• Haha 3

If we draft a QB at number 2 that can’t throw the ball deep left I’m gonna puke. 

Taylor Heinicke has what it takes from the neck up but couldn’t push the ball down the field to save his life, unless Terry bailed him out of course. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

No, it's not. It's experience within a type of system and depth of drops, etc. He was a highly recruited prospect and he spent a lot of his time reading the field from the gun in HS. Yes, pros and college are different levels of competition. But he played at Michigan. And while they weren't a spread type of offense, he still needed to read defenses. There are adjustments to be made, but it's not new ground. It's like riding a bike and learning a new stunt versus learning to get on it and ride for the first time.

"There is zero chance JJ is more pro ready than Maye and Daniels" is an odd way of saying you're bias. Zero chance? Speaking in absolutes shows a lot of bias in your post, so I'd refrain from that when posting. Your screen name doesn't help with the bias.

And, again, I'm not taking shots at Maye or Daniels. They are both incredible prospects. We'd be lucky to have either as our guy. 

Also, McCarthy is good at throwing the football. What an odd thing to say. 

But …..he isn’t that great of a thrower. He has one speed and has difficulty throwing downfield and outside the numbers. He really is going to be Daniel Jones 2.0, but I do appreciate your high road response. :cheers: We are all going to agree to disagree over the next few weeks. 

Penix behind a dominant Oline could be pretty awesome but man his injury history is such a red flag. The throws he made vs Texas were insanely impressive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMagic said:

Projection is the hardest part. A different sport, but I saw Kemba Walker will his UCONN squad to a National Championship after leading them through the Big East Tournament. I never thought he'd end up having a better pro career than Kyrie Irving, who only played 11 games at Duke. Same position, relatively the same size players. It's levels to it and Kemba has had a solid career nonetheless. Kyrie has had ups and downs, but is a Hall of Famer with one of the most iconic shots in NBA history.

In football, it's even tougher to evaluate QBs because guys play in different schemes and the talent level of teammates and between teams is so widespread across the board. Mahomes was absolutely lighting it up at Texas Tech and had footwork issues coming into the league. Reid/Ryan Poles saw something there, as did Kingsbury. If Kingsbury sees similar traits in one of these top guys, I'll trust his judgement even though the final call comes down to Peters.

Welcome to the board, have enjoyed your contributions so far. You seem like a person who knows ball 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

If we draft a QB at number 2 that can’t throw the ball deep left I’m gonna puke. 

Taylor Heinicke has what it takes from the neck up but couldn’t push the ball down the field to save his life, unless Terry bailed him out of course. 

I don't think there's anyone we would draft at #2 who can't throw deep. Williams and Maye both have howitzers, Daniels doesn't have a cannon like them but has a decent arm and throws a nice deep ball, McCarthy has a so-so arm but can still make all the necessary throws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMagic said:

Projection is the hardest part. A different sport, but I saw Kemba Walker will his UCONN squad to a National Championship after leading them through the Big East Tournament. I never thought he'd end up having a better pro career than Kyrie Irving, who only played 11 games at Duke. Same position, relatively the same size players. It's levels to it and Kemba has had a solid career nonetheless. Kyrie has had ups and downs, but is a Hall of Famer with one of the most iconic shots in NBA history.

In football, it's even tougher to evaluate QBs because guys play in different schemes and the talent level of teammates and between teams is so widespread across the board. Mahomes was absolutely lighting it up at Texas Tech and had footwork issues coming into the league. Reid/Ryan Poles saw something there, as did Kingsbury. If Kingsbury sees similar traits in one of these top guys, I'll trust his judgement even though the final call comes down to Peters.

We seem to have a lot of guys on this staff now who are quite adept at finding and grooming quarterback talent.

We keep using kingsbury's choice of murray as a benchmark for what he likes in a quarterback but he didn't have a lot of options at the time, he certainly does now.

I'm confident that this team will work together and come away with the best choice and then do everything possible to put that person in a position to succeed because without that it really doesn't matter all that much who we pick.

Edited by redskinss

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

Welcome to the board, have enjoyed your contributions so far. You seem like a person who knows ball 

Thanks so much! Our team became so hard to watch, I started watching RedZone more and more on Sundays and the product put out by other franchises was wildly superior. I just want us to get back to that same level and who the team picks at #2 is a large key to the puzzle. I was crushed when we missed on being able to pick Burrow by one spot and I see this as being the chance to get it right. It's a QB driven league now and watching Mahomes, LJack, Allen, Burrow duke it out in the AFC lets me know the NFC is there for the taking. Jordan Love is on the rise, but outside of him, the NFC has solid guys like Dak, Hurts, Purdy, Kyler (playbook issues aside) but these aren't guys that can really keep teams from ascending. Caleb and who is selected at 2 will be in a great spot in a wide open conference.  New ownership group, new GM, new Coach, new QB all at once. It's so rare for the universe to align like that, especially around these parts.

I was fortunate enough to meet Mitchell Rales at Glenstone randomly and he could not have been a nicer person. I knew right then and there that we were finally in good hands with this ownership group.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

New article, that's really a summary/transcript of a new podcast, with Klatt and Jeremiah talking about the top QB prospects. Pretty good stuff:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/joel-klatt-daniel-jeremiah-discuss-top-qbs-in-the-2024-nfl-draft

Joel Klatt, Daniel Jeremiah discuss top QBs in the 2024 NFL Draft

Updated Mar. 26, 2024 10:59 a.m. ET

They actually address specifically that Michigan/Penn St. game that caused some commotion in this thread last night lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I agree. In a recent interview someone asked DQ how he felt today and he said "I have a boner"

Which is clearly a reference to Bo Nix.

Book it.

I mean, Penix is right there too.

So the battle at #2 is over Bonerix or Penixs

11 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I mean, Penix is right there too.

So the battle at #2 is over Bonerix or Penixs

Penix is so broken up and hasn't taken a snap in an NFL game.  Something to consider.  We saw how beat up and the beating he took during the CFB Championship Game.  

2 hours ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

They're going Bo Nix. I feel it in my gut.

Back to your post.  If it's leadership and toughness they are looking for Jeremiah has this:

*** Note *** I'm the messenger; not the author!

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2024 NFL Draft prospect rankings 3.0

Bo Nix

Oregon · QB · Senior

Nix is an experienced quarterback (61 starts at Oregon and Auburn) with outstanding accuracy and toughness. He has average height and a thick/sturdy frame. He is at his best in the quick-rhythm passing game. He has quick feet in his setup, scans the field with urgency and accurately delivers the ball. He has a compact release and generates velocity to drive the ball to all three levels. He shows touch to layer the ball over linebackers and under safeties. He is accurate on designed rollouts. He does need to improve habits under duress, though, as he occasionally fails to feel back-side run-throughs and also falls off some throws when faced with interior pressure. He’s an urgent athlete and is effective as a runner, especially on zone reads. His coaches rave about his leadership and toughness. Overall, Nix’s combination of competitiveness, intelligence and experience reminds me of Jalen Hurts coming out of college."

50 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

New article, that's really a summary/transcript of a new podcast, with Klatt and Jeremiah talking about the top QB prospects. Pretty good stuff:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/joel-klatt-daniel-jeremiah-discuss-top-qbs-in-the-2024-nfl-draft

Joel Klatt, Daniel Jeremiah discuss top QBs in the 2024 NFL Draft

Updated Mar. 26, 2024 10:59 a.m. ET

They actually address specifically that Michigan/Penn St. game that caused some commotion in this thread last night lol.

Kinda bummed that they didn't talk about Daniels, but they had some interesting thoughts on Maye. They mostly were saying "don't overthink it" with regards to getting caught up on his footwork and accuracy having some inconsistencies that will need work. Look at all the traits as the base and then what you can do with it. Talked about how thy nitpicked some of those things with guys like Allen and Herbert and were wrong on both of them. Maye's baseline traits are almost off the charts. Take that and then work on things like the mechanics and footwork.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Say it ain't so Joe!!!!

Did I skip back into the wrong multi-verse again.

Damn Acme time distortion black hole simulator!!

I know I should've paid extra for the Sony!!

Arggghhhh!

Not into AI and this is a game.  It has been programmed by man and is only a good as the programmer(s) that programmed it.  It is full of errors.  This is why the game is played by humans not robots and God forbid it becomes played by robots one day.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Kinda bummed that they didn't talk about Daniels, but they had some interesting thoughts on Maye. They mostly were saying "don't overthink it" with regards to getting caught up on his footwork and accuracy having some inconsistencies that will need work. Look at all the traits as the base and then what you can do with it. Talked about how thy nitpicked some of those things with guys like Allen and Herbert and were wrong on both of them. Maye's baseline traits are almost off the charts. Take that and then work on things like the mechanics and footwork.

Exactly. Its about projecting growth. No doubt Daniels and possibly McCarthy and others are better college QBs. But I don't want the best college QB. I want the college QB who has the best traits that project to the NFL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

No offense but those first few sentences read like certain posters talking about Heinicke two years ago. This stuff doesn't carry that much weight with me. The same things were said about Tua coming out, and more burden was placed on him as a National Championship winning passer on an equally stacked team. And he's…fine. No one here would trade the #2 overall pick right now for Tua. He’s entered the realm of QB’s who are really good but will destroy your salary cap. Not special. Is McCarthy going to be better than a similar "winner", but more developed passer coming out, in Tua? I doubt it. 

Mahomes won nothing in college because his team sucked. Allen was a missed FG away from the SB. The stuff about being a "winner" doesn't matter that much imo, it feels surface level. It's a tie-breaker, maybe. It makes you wonder how the prospect will respond to actual adversity and a less ideal situation. 

haha didnt think I'd see a Heinicke reference in here, wow.

I would not trade the #2 pick for Tua, Allen, Herbert, and a few other players that many in here are enamored by, so we definitely agree that Tua is not special.

Suggesting that McCarthy isnt going to be better than Tua is fine, but you're guessing just like I am. I'd also add that being down two scores in a playoff game is plenty of adversity, but perhaps that's subjective.

• Like 1