Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

29 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Will Tress Way really give up his #5 jersey?

He's been our franchise player for so many years...

Its good juju. Almost poetic in a way.

Former best player on the team giving his number to what is hopefully our new best player.

numb5.jpg.97a30444a93a523e6d84c3609722909d.jpg

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Its good juju. Almost poetic in a way.

Former best player on the team giving his number to what is hopefully our new best player.

numb5.jpg.97a30444a93a523e6d84c3609722909d.jpg

poetic like what rhymes with way

53 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

QBs figuring it out after moving on does not happen often but Baker is a good recent example.

He got the bag to be the franchise QB from TB after flaming out w/ the team that drafted him and jumping around to several teams.

Ryan Tanny is another possible example. The dolphins traded him away for peanuts and he became Tenn's franchise guy w/ a monster deal.

Neither of these guys are elite QBs but Orgs saw fit to make them franchise signal callers and that should represent a "success" more than anything.

Mayfield took Cleveland as far as he took the Bucs in the playoffs. Tannehill is a lesser Kirk Cousins who isn't going to win anybody anything.

5 hours ago, illone said:

Except for . . . Doug Flutie. . . . 
Some guys just take longer to develop. 

To be fair, it took Flutie awhile to grow into it. . . .

(Those Flutie Flakes probably stunted his growth -- 28g carbs,13g  sugar, 1g protein.  Want to get big and strong?  Grass-fed beef, free-range eggs, extra sharp cheddar, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and wash it down with a cold Miller Lite.)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If Russ is cooked, Steelers will be looking for a new qb in 2025 and likely under a new coach.

You’re firing Tomlin after 20 years of not having a losing season if he has one losing season?

Man.  Tough crowd.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You’re firing Tomlin after 20 years of not having a losing season if he has one losing season?

Man.  Tough crowd.  

Fair point, though Tomlin did completely whiff on Kenny Pickett. Now he's going with a potentially washed up vet who was jettisoned by the team he was traded to a couple of years ago and a 1st round bust castoff from another team that they got for next to nothing.

If I'm ownership I'm at the very least requesting he provide me with some sort of idea of what his longer term plan is for the QB position. If he doesn't really have a good answer I'd at least start to consider some new blood at HC.

While y’all in here arguing about bull**** boy wonder took the hat off for the first time and I don’t know if it’s because he is having a nice night out or because he ****ing hates us and his agent is angling for a trade! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Llevron said:

While y’all in here arguing about bull**** boy wonder took the hat off for the first time and I don’t know if it’s because he is having a nice night out or because he ****ing hates us and his agent is angling for a trade! 

204e66e2-3813-4aaf-9bec-dcfc01747a89_tex

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

The Office gif. Ed Helms as Andy wears a black leather jacket and a dangling silver cross earring in one ear. He squints his eyes and shakes his head. Text, "I'm Sorry What?"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Fair point, though Tomlin did completely whiff on Kenny Pickett. Now he's going with a potentially washed up vet who was jettisoned by the team he was traded to a couple of years ago and a 1st round bust castoff from another team that they got for next to nothing.

If I'm ownership I'm at the very least requesting he provide me with some sort of idea of what his longer term plan is for the QB position. If he doesn't really have a good answer I'd at least start to consider some new blood at HC.

He’s not the GM I don’t think and I don’t think he officially has personnel control.  

They picked Pickett at 20 overall and they were in the same boat as the commanders, they picked the wrong year to need to draft a Qb.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Man.  Tough crowd.  

Steelers are getting dissatisfied with Tomlin not winning a playoff game since 2016.  Another season without a playoff win and Steelers may make a change.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He’s not the GM I don’t think and I don’t think he officially has personnel control.  

They picked Pickett at 20 overall and they were in the same boat as the commanders, they picked the wrong year to need to draft a Qb.  

Tomlin has been there since 2007. Their GM, Khan, has been GM since 2022 and had more minor roles before that. Tomlin is practically royalty there compared to Khan. I doubt Khan got promoted to the GM job by saying "I'm the draft guy now, I make the decisions". 

And yeah they picked the wrong year to draft a QB. Again, I'm not saying I'd fire him. I'm just saying that if I'm ownership I'd want to hear what his long term plan is at QB, because signing a 35 year old Wilson to a 1 year vet min deal and then spending peanuts on castoff bust Fields is basically a "let's hold on for this year and then just hope something better comes along at some point" plan.

On 5/3/2024 at 4:14 PM, Est.1974 said:

@Koolblue13 really has you by not changing that doesn’t he :rofl89:

I changed it and made it worse, but then fixed it. I think it's right. Driskle ain't in there and I could certainly have fun with that.

I'm just happy I lived in LKBs head for a bit.

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So much is mental. You meet the kid and think he can handle it. They picked him at 20 last year and he's an eagles bubble guy now. That's wild.

They're also super aggressive going after LBers and it doesn't work out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Steelers are getting dissatisfied with Tomlin not winning a playoff game since 2016.  Another season without a playoff win and Steelers may make a change.

I think you're talking about the fans rather than the owners. The owners are very deliberate and slow moving. And frankly, I think by any outsiders evaluation, the Steelers have consistently overachieved even without the playoff wins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

Tomlin has been there since 2007. Their GM, Khan, has been GM since 2022 and had more minor roles before that. Tomlin is practically royalty there compared to Khan. I doubt Khan got promoted to the GM job by saying "I'm the draft guy now, I make the decisions". 

And yeah they picked the wrong year to draft a QB. Again, I'm not saying I'd fire him. I'm just saying that if I'm ownership I'd want to hear what his long term plan is at QB, because signing a 35 year old Wilson to a 1 year vet min deal and then spending peanuts on castoff bust Fields is basically a "let's hold on for this year and then just hope something better comes along at some point" plan.

What is this, Somali piracy?

giphy.gif

The Steelers are good because they have a system, hire people that fit their system, and then stick to said system. Do you really think Tomlin pulled some power play and just told Khan to sit in the corner? And the owners were like...that sound fine. We've seen time and time again that when you give personal decisions to coaches (like Rivera here or Belichick in New England) that it tends to go poorly. The only guy who I think did it somewhat well was Jimmy Johnson in Miami. He didn't last long there and, like everyone, had trouble finding a QB. But to blame Tomlin for QB failures when: (1) he is NOT the GM; and (2) EVERYONE has trouble finding QBs is a pretty big stretch.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Jericho said:

What is this, Somali piracy?

The Steelers are good because they have a system, hire people that fit their system, and then stick to said system. Do you really think Tomlin pulled some power play and just told Khan to sit in the corner? And the owners were like...that sound fine. We've seen time and time again that when you give personal decisions to coaches (like Rivera here or Belichick in New England) that it tends to go poorly. The only guy who I think did it somewhat well was Jimmy Johnson in Miami. He didn't last long there and, like everyone, had trouble finding a QB. But to blame Tomlin for QB failures when: (1) he is NOT the GM; and (2) EVERYONE has trouble finding QBs is a pretty big stretch.

How do you know so much about the internal workings of the Steelers FO?

And I never said Tomlin just came in and told Khan to sit in the corner. I'm saying that a coach with that much time and clout within an organization is very unlikely to just sit by while the (very new and recently promoted) GM makes decisions. I'm guessing Tomlin's input carries incredibly heavy weight, to the point where going directly against his input would require a fair bit of explaining internally. 

Just because it's not a good idea generally for a coach to make all personnel decisions doesn't somehow negate the possibility that it has happened in the Steelers organization. Again, how do you know so much about their internal structure and drafting process?

As far as blame, so because Tomlin doesn't have the GM title he cannot in any way be blamed at all for drafting a bust in the 1st round? Did he have NO input on Pickett? (He did btw, he's talked about why they drafted him and why he wanted him).

And yes everyone has trouble finding a QB. That's why I'm not saying that Tomlin should be fired over Pickett. I'm saying that if I were the ownership I'd be asking what the plan is to find a future franchise QB. Because the current "plan" of Russell Wilson and Justin Fields is...pretty bad. And IF he didn't really have an answer I'd at the very least start considering whether a possible coaching change after all these years might at some point be a fair idea.

I really wish people would actually read comments and absorb what posters are saying instead of responding to a straw man.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

So much is mental. You meet the kid and think he can handle it. They picked him at 20 last year and he's an eagles bubble guy now. That's wild.

I think he was over drafted.  Because they needed a QB and at 20, taking a shot on the top QB in the class isn’t a bad bet.  

It didn’t work out.  But they were in the same spot we were in.  We attempted Wentz and drafted Howell. 

They signed Trubisky and drafted “hands” as Bram calls him.  

I don’t think a single QB move from 2022 worked.  Draft or FA or trade. I could be missing one but it was basically drek. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mistertim said:

That’s fair but the Steelers also have a somewhat unique problem: they’re never bad.  So they always pick, at worst, in the teens or in the 20s.

Solving the problem isn’t easy.  There going to have to just keep throwing resources at it until they find a guy.  And that’s a year to year thing, who’s available, who isn’t.

Clearly the hope is Fields “gets it” with better coaching and mentoring. And they can re-sign him next off season.

Bur clearly they are not putting any eggs in that basket.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Fans maybe. Ownership?  Doubtful.  

They're going to extend him this off season.  

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

I think you're talking about the fans rather than the owners. The owners are very deliberate and slow moving. And frankly, I think by any outsiders evaluation, the Steelers have consistently overachieved even without the playoff wins.

Actually, think the owner expressed dissatisfaction also and made a comment of things needing to change.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I really wish people would actually read comments and absorb what posters are saying instead of responding to a straw man.

It good to see you are feeling better and back to your normal self :rofl89:

16 hours ago, Llevron said:

Gotta admit, I went back and read the last couple pages I'd missed and still couldn't figure out what this post was saying. 🤔

Which is unusual for someone of my brobdingnagian deciphering capability, plus knowing you as a poster for so long. 🧐

I love still being able to be surprised by my ES peers. 👍😛😁

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Gotta admit, I went back and read the last couple pages I'd missed and still couldn't figure out what this post was saying. 🤔

Which is unusual for someone of my brobdingnagian deciphering capability, plus knowing you as a poster for so long. 🧐

I love still being able to be surprised by my ES peers. 👍😛😁

I did the same thing and gave up.

Luckily the next post was a gif calling him weird so that helped significantly in coming to the conclusion that it was a nothingburger.

• Haha 3