Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

The problem with that is that it just means he's healthy now. He could not stay on the field for years and years and years. What were his healthy seasons since 2018? 2022 and 2023? Nothing illustrates recency bias more brightly than that. And I really like Penix and view him as the value of the draft (especially if he goes in the mid to late 1st). The fact that he could go top 10-12 is kinda crazy to me considering his age and his issues with health 2018-2021 or thereabouts. It's ridiculous, and again, I like him, but you can't take an injury profile/age combo like that in the top half of round 1 w/o deserving to get fired. I expected him to go late first to day 2, top 10-12 is flat out crazy, and it has zilch to do w/his talent (which I believe in). 

I can't disagree. But, I personally would take under serious consideration the fact that the young man did not give up. IIRC, he was very close to quitting football because of the injuries and yet persevered, transferred to Washington, and was successful. When jobs are on the line, I can certainly understand the reticence when it comes to Penix but by all accounts, he is going somewhere in the 1st despite the red flags.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

Lamar was not a good passer coming outta college. That is why he dropped to the end of the first.

He was an absolute project coming into the NFL that practically every team passed on. The chances a guy like that work out was an absolute moonshot. In the league he has seen abnormal and unnatural growths in passing metics, ones that are only rivaled by Josh Allen.

People jump to Lamar b/c we have so few examples of guys who's running ability is that electric, but I maintain he's a terrible comp for JD is so many ways.

JD is a polished passer, who has shown far more development as a thrower of the ball. Your not drafting him and praying to the football gods that he could develop into a decent passer like was done w/ Lamar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

8. McCarthy: I didn't like his tape.  Really at all.  I don't see what the hubbub with him is all about.  But if Peters and company think he is the guy, eh, I'll trust them.  The biggest challenge with him is, and somebody on Keim's podcast brought this up, he had like 20+ games where he had less than 17 completions.  Because Michigan just didn't throw the ball.  So it's tough to know what he can do because he never did it.  

Ouch. McCarthy's my #2 :) 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some are giving Maye a hard time for his misses.  But wow are some of Penix's misses wildly off.   Bigger issue IMO with him versus with Maye.

I’ve been talking about his poor/inconsistent ball placement for weeks now since I started actually looking at him, because the noise about Penix being the best thrower in the draft as if it was just obvious and he was “just” an injury risk who had a bad final game—it became too much for me to just take for granted, I had to watch. And what I saw did not line up at all, the guy is spraying and praying half the time and sometimes it’s reflected in his completion percentage, sometimes it’s not. Which is why I referred to it as “ball placement” rather than raw “accuracy”. It’s scary 

• Like 3

Isn't KK credited for guys like Mahomes and Williams and their ability to move in the pocket while keeping eyes down the field? Any of you think he could be the prefect teacher for Daniels and sure up his one real weakness? Kinda would be excited to see what he could do with him. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love big boy research and analysis. Even in the NFL. I love Cynthia Frelund, who of course is not a perfect machine but she's very good and her methodology is excellent.

But most fan presentations of this internet driven topic are permeated with "research" efforts that are imbued with confirmation bias and accompanying "analyses" that are contortionist level convolutions solely to support an already existing, and early and firmly formed, conclusion.

Many of the links/post I read that feature a bunch of interesting statistics and relevant, accurate, data points take me on a journey like this:

wheton.jpg.cee5d85f300d9368fd1c467de9421281.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Isn't KK credited for guys like Mahomes and Williams and their ability to move in the pocket while keeping eyes down the field? Any of you think he could be the prefect teacher for Daniels and sure up his one real weakness? Kinda would be excited to see what he could do with him. 

I would say that KK is noted as having worked with guys like that, I don't know that he gets the credit for them having developed those skills 🤷‍♂️

.... or perhaps stated in a different way.... his system would allow a player with those skills to develop.... not sure how much actual teaching is going on there.....

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Like 1

"I still think.... Jayden Daniels is the favorite to be number two... if he goes to three, the price of three goes up a lot... But I think the Commanders in the end, will opt for Daniels - thats my read on it..."

Not sure if this has been posted or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I've said it more than once, I luv the potential coach fit of both KK and Johnson(Philly). The schemes they have run, the players they have been around, tried to recruit and coached... Yes plz. Couldn't ask for a better hodgepodge of young and talented QB collection than Mahomie, Hurts, Murray, Caleb, Baker and even Keenum(all time college passer leader) and Manziel(heisman pose).

If I was making a short list of NFL offensive coaches that I would want to pair with JD directly, there are not a lot of others that I would prefer.

Gimmie.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’ve been talking about his poor/inconsistent ball placement for weeks now since I started actually looking at him, because the noise about Penix being the best thrower in the draft as if it was just obvious and he was “just” an injury risk who had a bad final game—it became too much for me to just take for granted, I had to watch. And what I saw did not line up at all, the guy is spraying and praying half the time and sometimes it’s reflected in his completion percentage, sometimes it’s not. Which is why I referred to it as “ball placement” rather than raw “accuracy”. It’s scary 

It comes and goes from what i watched.  But when it goes its brutal.

I get some Carson Wentz vibes from Penix watching him, throws hard, good deep ball but his accuracy is wild -- ranging from hot to cold.

Too much smoke for me not to buy that FO people, most of them prefer Daniels but the part I dout is the Kliff part of this.  Maye played a variation of the Air Raid. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Hopefully, ES admins have a plan in place so this board doesn't go down during the draft, especially during the #2 overall pick. 

I will be so hammered I wont remember the board crashing the next day anyways.

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

but if we go Daniels at #2 and Maye somehow ends up on the Giants

This is my nightmare scenario right here. We should be facing Danny Dimes for the foreseeable future. The Giants getting Maye without having to give up any draft capital to do it would suck real bad. 

Just now, FrFan said:

200.webp?cid=790b76118pkzxpi5jw6036bds02

I am literally starting a two week vacation the Friday after round one. Craziness will be the desired outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FlyBigBeard said:

I'm not worried about him signing a second contract either, because he won't make it that far. The whole coaching staff will be fired before then because of him. Lol 🤣   

Are you a cure for optimism? Maybe you should give a call to Eli Lilly. 

i don’t mean to single you out, but I’ve seen several posts already talking about the failures of a franchise, its coaches And young men that have yet to even step on the field. 

How do some of you guys get up on the morning? Do you put on your pants, think “am I too happy? Let’s change that and bring other people with me.” 

when going to bed at night “gosh darn, I think I did it. I helped spread my negativity. This is great!” 

i don’t know how anyone that OSS a fan of this franchise just couldn’t be over the moon with excitement. I know I am and I haven’t felt this way in a very long time.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Mahomes isn't no world beater as a dual threat. He's probably in same category athleticsllt as maye

Athletically? probably close. But he has uncanny pocket awareness and is lethal extending plays and throwing on the move. Drake has a long way to go to be close to that imo. But I do love the piece of clay he is. You cant ask for better metrics. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

i don’t mean to single you out, but I’ve seen several posts already talking about the failures of a franchise, its coaches And young men that have yet to even step on the field. 

How do some of you guys get up on the morning? Do you put on your pants, think “am I too happy? Let’s change that and bring other people with me.” 

when going to bed at night “gosh darn, I think I did it. I helped spread my negativity. This is great!” 

i don’t know how anyone that OSS a fan of this franchise just couldn’t be over the moon with excitement. I know I am and I haven’t felt this way in a very long time. Sign

It's called having an opinion and expressing it. Sorry it's not the status quo that you wanted to hear. If it hurt your feelings to read it I Apologize. Didn't want to ruin your day. Love this team and I want nothing but success. If everyone thought the same, this world would be pretty boring don't you think? And just fyi that original post was just for fun. That's why it had a LOL at the end with a 🤣 face. It's okay if you didn't feel the need to laugh, to each their own, I still love you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

i don’t know how anyone that OSS a fan of this franchise just couldn’t be over the moon with excitement. I know I am and I haven’t felt this way in a very long time.

This fan base is very toxic, I'm in disbelief of what I hear regarding both QBs, whether it be this forum or online in general.  How can any of you be so sure that whoever we draft is destined to fail and that the coaches will be fired within 3 years?  I think a LOT of our fans need to step away from the ledge, get some xanax or mary jane in them or something, and leave the drama alone.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, samy316 said:

How can any of you be so sure that whoever we draft is destined to fail and that the coaches will be fired within 3 years? 

Personally I dont think any of the top 3 fail. But going strictly off of odds you are better off expecting them too fail than not. Picking the right QB is luck of the draw. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

DJ backing off thinking Maye will be the pick

He was the last domino for me. You can never discount what he says. Because he is correct so often. 

• Like 1