Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Listened to Finlay's podcast.  Not that much to it beyond what was posted.

Only additional thing was Mitch Tischler who is with him in Indy also said asking around people there, there seems to be a clear tier with Caleb first. Solidly so.  Drake 2nd.  Solidly so.  And Jayden 3rd. 

And they started the combine witth the vibe that it is likely going to be Daniels at #2.  Now they feel its likely Drake.

Albiet they didn't explain how their minds changed aside from that's the vibe from mutiple people they spoke to.   

While that is interesting, I still think no way they have a real leaning yet.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I look back at Shuler

Funny you mention him, because I've thought of him a couple of times when reading about / watching Maye (Yes, I'm so old that I have both RG3 *and* Shuler PTSD) - big mobile guy (Shuler had 14 rushing TD in 2 years at Tenn., compared with 16 for Maye, although not nearly as many yards), strong arm, really really nice kid with no red flags, only played 2 years in college..... 

Also: And this one is for the folks yammering we should pass on QB this year, I know what your evil plan is.... guess who will be in the 2025 NFL draft:  

screenshot-www.sports-reference.com-2024_02.29-11_36_48.png.d0a4371ae3bc0b2ac122e7533b69485a.png

Career passing yards: -1

Career rushing yards: -3

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I don’t see a collective group of people suggest we don’t need a QB. Or in fact need to draft one.

Cool. I don't care.  You could see whatever you want.  I've debated some of these phantom people so I am not backing off like it was all in my imagination.  I can even name some of them if I felt like it 😉

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think the Giants have a great shot at getting Maye

Great shot? I'd disagree. Long shot possibility? Sure. Maye would have to get past us and then NE would have to decide to deal the pick. Which is probably unlikely as they're in QB purgatory as well. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Cool. I don't care.  You could see whatever you want.  I've debated some of these phantom people so I am not backing off like it was all in my imagination. 

That’s a strange response to be honest. 

Just now, mistertim said:

Great shot? I'd disagree. Long shot possibility? Sure. Maye would have to get past us and then NE would have to decide to deal the pick. Which is probably unlikely as they're in QB purgatory as well. 

I think if he’s gets past #2 they are in business.

There are definitely people who think we should punt on QB. "Build the team and try to get one next year." Which is probably the worst strategy to take. Well, the only thing worse would be taking like Joe Alt #2 overall lolol.

I'd rather take JJ McCarthy #2 overall then punt and pass on QB.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Why do you say Caleb has maturity issues?

Skipped post game conference after loss to UCLA, he refused to shake hands with Utah players, jumped in the stands to cry in mom's arms in front of the medias, painting nails with the F word. On the side note he is 2-9 vs ranked teams, so, not a big game player.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

Skipped post game conference after loss to UCLA, he refused to shake hands with Utah players, jumped in the stands to cry in mom's arms in front of the medias, painting nails with the F word. On the side note he is 2-9 vs ranked teams, so, not a big game player.

He also seems obsessed with branding. If you look at his Instagram, a lot of commercials/advertisement type stuff.

Again, love the talent(though 6'1'' scares me), and would still take him #2 if he dropped, but there are just too many bad vibes. And those vibes are only augmented playing in his hometown.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

51 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Exactly. I just read about this and decided to come in to see who likes it, who is going to rationalize it, and who is going to dislike it. It is ridiculous. I mean let the "football" folks do the deciding and you write the checks, and hopefully are rewarded down the road.  I do not want our owner involved in player decisions. He can meet them after the draft.  

A helpful way to look at it is to realize that the way Harris operates, he sets the vision and the rubric for his GM and then lets them work. He’s known for it. He’s not a meddler, his whole thing is to give people all the tools and resources they could need or ask for and then hold them accountable. 

How do you hold your GM accountable if you don’t know what he’s doing and how he makes decisions, how he approaches his job? He’s learning the league. Observing is fine. He’s not the type to fall in love with a prospect and have a football opinion. He’s learning about and evaluating his FO + HC hires, not the players. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think the Giants have a great shot at getting Maye

Unless they trade up to #1 or #2, then no.  I don’t see Chicago or Washington trading down.  If Maye is still there at #3 on draft day, Giants would give Pats a call but why would Pats trade down and not take a qb?

I don’t see that happening.  I can see Giants going with JJ, Bo or Michael and sit them for a year.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There are definitely people who think we should punt on QB. "Build the team and try to get one next year." Which is probably the worst strategy to take. Well, the only thing worse would be taking like Joe Alt #2 overall lolol.

I'd rather take JJ McCarthy #2 overall then punt and pass on QB.

McCarthy is very intriguing to say the least.

"There is a lot of love for JJ McCarthy among the scouting community. He's tough as hell, he's got a big arm, he's a very good athlete, and he's coachable. That's something that comes up all the time.” Miller added that one scout had even said McCarthy would draw comparisons to Joe Burrow had Michigan had to pass more. Link

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

I feel like Maye somehow has fallen to #3 and JD is moving up all the charts

If the bears take JD 1. I think we have to run to Caleb and im a Maye guy

I don't think Daniels is going #1. I think he's still going 2 or 3. 

I think him being good in interviews (the Saints GM said their interview with him was really great also) but I don't think anyone passes Caleb Williams.

I also don't think it means we take him at 2, it might mean we take Maye at 2 and a couple more teams try to move up to 3 or something. Its all still very up in the air 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

He's not the first major player to skip a press conference after a loss; it's an easy fix.  

Crying with his mom is a traditional "man code" violation, not a maturity issue. Jordan cried with his dad after winning his first championship. 

The fingernail polish thing bothers most heterosexual men over a certain age, so I think that's more generational than anything.

USC's defense was terrible, and other QBs suffered from a similar issue. Does anyone know what Mahomes record was against ranked teams? I don't think any of these things will alter his draft selection.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He also seems obsessed with branding. If you look at his Instagram, a lot of commercials/advertisement type stuff.

Again, love the talent(though 6'1'' scares me), and would still take him #2 if he dropped, but there are just too many bad vibes. And those vibes are only augmented playing in his hometown.

Branding=money. This is not the 1980s, and most pro athletes are starting to figure out that these things will outlive their play on the field. Everything I have heard suggests the kid is serious about the ball; who cares if he makes money on the side? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I don’t see a collective group of people suggest we don’t need a QB. Or in fact need to draft one.

I don't know if I'd call them a "collective" but on twitter there's a lot of people in the "build elsewhere first" camp.

Probably still a minority of people but there's definitely a solid number banging the table to MHJr or trading down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Peters could very easily land us on QB outside the perceived top 3 couldn’t he. Very easily. So your definition of QB wilderness might not align with that of Adam Peters, as a general observation.

Those guys didn't come here to trade down, they came here because we had a top 2 pick in a 3 deep blue chip QB draft. We drew the attention we drew precisely because it meant we could land one of the top 3 guys. It was not so we could trade down and dart throw a 2nd or 3rd tier guy. 

4 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I don't like it. My gut instinct is saying that this is a horrible sign. 

It's a bad sign, there's no arguing that, the difference is, Snyder gave off these vibes, and we didn't have other evidence to peruse to reference his behavior. We do have evidence that this guy lets his GM's do their work from other sports leagues, so for now, its alarming, but not signifcant until and when/if we see him pull bull---- like Snyder did with Haskins etc. 

Definitely worthy of note, but at least there's good news from his other teams suggestive that this isn't meaningful or a part of a larger, overarching trend of behavior. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

He's not the first major player to skip a press conference after a loss; it's an easy fix.  

Crying with his mom is a traditional "man code" violation, not a maturity issue. Jordan cried with his dad after winning his first championship. 

The fingernail polish thing bothers most heterosexual men over a certain age, so I think that's more generational than anything.

USC's defense was terrible, and other QBs suffered from a similar issue. Does anyone know what Mahomes record was against ranked teams? I don't think any of these things will alter his draft selection.

He cried after losing not winning ! You do that in private not in front of medias. See his reaction after being called a "sheep" by a fan.

He has a very sensitive/fragile ego, and  too many attitude things to fix imo. I'm not going to call him future bust like some (only time will tell), but he's got too many red flags to me. Question is can someone fix all these issues ?

Doug Gottlieb Calls Out Caleb Williams and His Dad After 'GQ' Draft Threats

Took him quite a time to backpedal from this, but he did it.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I don't know if I'd call them a "collective" but on twitter there's a lot of people in the "build elsewhere first" camp.

Probably still a minority of people but there's definitely a solid number banging the table to MHJr or trading down.

Yep.  Here there are some who pushed trade down, build the roster, with the additional picks trade up if needed in the next draft for the QB.   There were some intense debates on it both here and the draft pick thread from the past.

Some on twitter too per your mention.  Plenty on talk radio, I was listening to a segment recently where I was stunned that a bunch of callers in a row were pushing they should either stay put and take Harrison or Alt or trade down to do it.

You can see it in fan polls on the subject, too.  Most want to take a QB but its far from all. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Thanks. I don’t see Twitter, just what’s on here.