Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

All you guys wanting Wentz at a reduced rate are raising my anxiety level with that dumbness

dont you remember being down 0-21 heading into the half waiting for something to happen?  I do.

wentz is washed

Then playing him makes it easier to get Williams lol...

But I wasn't thinking he'd be inserted as starter...more like all three are in competition to start, and then focus like a mf'er on getting Howell ready. If Howell can't beat out Wentz and Heinicke, go for Williams in 24. (this, by definition, ignores things like injuries and unexpected playoff runs)

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Then playing him makes it easier to get Williams lol...

But I wasn't thinking he'd be inserted as starter...more like all three are in competition to start, and then focus like a mf'er on getting Howell ready. If Howell can't beat out Wentz and Heinicke, go for Williams in 24. (this, by definition, ignores things like injuries and unexpected playoff runs)

Although I agree that the focus should be getting Howell ready to lead the franchise,  a LOT of this hinges upon who will be owning the Team in 2023, and what if any promises are made to the current (or new) coaching staff. If RR is retained and on a short leash, he'll be focusing on keeping a vet in the lineup and avoiding the rookie learning curve. A coach only focuses on the future if he knows that he's part of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Although I agree that the focus should be getting Howell ready to lead the franchise,  a LOT of this hinges upon who will be owning the Team in 2023, and what if any promises are made to the current (or new) coaching staff. If RR is retained and on a short leash, he'll be focusing on keeping a vet in the lineup and avoiding the rookie learning curve. A coach only focuses on the future if he knows that he's part of it.

Yeah, I should have included "change of ownership" in my list of things to ignore...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wafers said:

Wentz is not really an option next year.  There is no way we will pay 26 M next year so we will cut him.  If he is a free agent, will he stay in DC?  I highly doubt it.  

Wentz could return in 23, if he agreed to a pay cut; assuming the coaches wanted him.

I doubt any of current 3 qbs will be on the roster come Jan. 25.

Howell will likely never play a meaningful down for us. Ron  will be looking for a veteran qb. He’s not wasting time with a rookie or Howell. He’s got to win in 23. Likely needs a playoff win to even have a shot of returning in 24.

When we do finally move on from Ron, unlikely the new coach keeps the qb roster he would inherit. Sam and Taylor would be quick casualties.

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Wentz could return in 23, if he agreed to a pay cut; assuming the coaches wanted him.

I doubt any of current 3 qbs will be on the roster come Jan. 25.

Howell will likely never play a meaningful down for us. Ron  will be looking for a veteran qb. He’s not wasting time with a rookie or Howell. He’s got to win in 23. Likely needs a playoff win to even have a shot of returning in 24.

When we do finally move on from Ron, unlikely the new coach keeps the qb roster he would inherit. Sam and Taylor would be quick casualties.

You don't think Howell will be on the roster Jan. 25th?...His salary is basically non-existent so there's no reason to dump him after one year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They aren't getting rid of Howell

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/start-sam-howell-washington-commanders-ron-rivera-taylor-heinicke-carson-wentz-green-bay-packers

Heinicke was named the starter by head coach Ron Rivera over rookie Sam Howell in a press conference Tuesday, and it wasn't much of a debate.

“No, the focus is Taylor [Heinicke]," Rivera said. "I mean, we're still in a good situation still early in the year. We like what we've got in terms of the skill sets and in terms of our playmakers, you know, guys that we believe we can get the ball to. And don't want to put Sam in a situation like that this early in his career, you know, we feel he is a young man that as he grows and develops, he's got a chance.”

• Thumb up 1

I dunno if it's the backpack, his expression, or the childlike way he's holding that hat, but that photo looks like it's from a make a wish foundation marketing campaign.

"Of course you can be an NFL QB, you sick little angel......but it's gonna be for the Redskins...er wft...er commies!"

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Haha 8
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

I dunno if it's the backpack, his expression, or the childlike way he's holding that hat, but that photo looks like it's from a make a wish foundation marketing campaign.

"Of course you can be an NFL QB, you sick little angel......but it's gonna be for the Redskins...er wft...er commies!"

Heinicke and Brian Robinson should go trick-or-treating together next year.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Has anybody recapped the Cooley Film Breakdown of the offense, and specifically TH from Sheehan’s pod, probably on Wednesday?  (I’m looking at you @Skinsinparadise) I was working around the clock last week and just listened to it. 

If nobody has recapped, I can.  It was very interesting….

I highlighted and posted interview in a previous post in one of the threads.

Interesting his comments relating to the offense using max protection at such an high rate and it limiting options for Heineke.

Also, love him highlighting up tempo appearing to elevate the ceiling of the offense and Heineke. Up tempo is my last hope for a Heineke led offense to beat an elite QB. In no way saying up tempo should be the identity, but used more often situationally in games. This appears to align with Heinekes football experience and he excels to level of an average QB in these moments. 

Previously my hope was his legs and playmaking would assist in him being an average level guy, but that ship has sailed. I hold out slight hope as he continues his growth in managing a game from the pocket he will be able to call upon his run prowess. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Lions probably pick up his option but Goff would be an intriguing option at QB. He is taking advantage of his weapons in Detroit and putting up some good numbers this year

I loved him as a potential buy low candidate this off season, but he’s playing himself into an overpriced $35-40 plus mil per deal. Strong Pass at that price. He’s playing well.

No way anyone can say he’s not as good as Carr, Cousins, Tannenhill or Prescott or whoever is part of the over priced entitled middling QB group.  They’re criminals lol

I like Tannenhill as a buy low candidate and still in Wentz returning in line with what he’d receive in the open market, which would be back up type money. 

Edited by wit33

Ive had a few but as I watch Tom Brady, I can see him as a potential one year rental for RR and the Commanders. I'm not pushing for it in any way, but we will need a QB next year and who better to groom Howell than the GOAT? Brady is old and pretty immobile but he can still read a defense and can get the ball where it needs to go. I'm not sure how I even feel about this but I bet he takes a look around the league at who needs a QB and has to look at us, especially if we make the playoffs and possibly win a game.

Let's imagine Jeff Bezos and Jay Z buy the Commanders and they want free agent Tom Brady???????...I'll sit back and wait for people to destroy me for even suggesting this while I enjoy a few more. If someone else has brought this up already I apologize.

All this being said I predict Brady will end up back with Belichek in NE to finish out his HOF career. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I highlighted and posted interview in a previous post in one of the threads.

Interesting his comments relating to the offense using max protection at such an high rate and it limiting options for Heineke.

Also, love him highlighting up tempo appearing to elevate the ceiling of the offense and Heineke. Up tempo is my last hope for a Heineke led offense to beat an elite QB. In no way saying up tempo should be the identity, but used more often situationally in games. This appears to align with Heinekes football experience and he excels to level of an average QB in these moments. 

Previously my hope was his legs and playmaking would assist in him being an average level guy, but that ship has sailed. I hold out slight hope as he continues his growth in managing a game from the pocket he will be able to call upon his run prowess. 

He also said (forgetting which segment-show) just like Logan Paulsen that the O line struggles with sliding protections -- adjusting protections to what the defense is doing.  Logan got into it in much more detail.  The Giants for example exploited the mass protections by simply sliding their blitz the other way.  Paulsen said a more experienced QB could see that and help readjust.

I know Cooley definitely doesn't see Heinicke as the answer but he certainly doesn't hate him.  Graded his Giants performance a C. 

Paulsen talked a bit about Heinicke's lack of running.  His take some of it is even thought they run some RPO and RO, he doesn't think Heinicke is that swift running those plays -- including on RO reading the DE.  He thinks his better shot is scrambiling when opportunities arise. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He also said (forgetting which segment-show) just like Logan Paulsen that the O line struggles with sliding protections -- adjusting protections to what the defense is doing.  Logan got into it in much more detail.  The Giants for example exploited the mass protections by simply sliding their blitz the other way.  Paulsen said a more experienced QB could see that and help readjust.

I know Cooley definitely doesn't see Heinicke as the answer but he certainly doesn't hate him.  Graded his Giants performance a C. 

I think that’s fair. C for Heinicke is about right. 

• Like 1

Should be interesting to see what they do against the Giants next time because according to Cooley and Paulsen, the Giants coordinator was outwitting their line protections especially max protects.  I didn't get the full explanation (Paulsen went into deeper detail) but i know some of it was the Giants coordinator knew how to slide their blitzing defender to more or less force the Commanders to use their TE to block an edge rusher and set up mismatches despite the max protects. 

Paulsen said they were successful with that tact again and again and felt someone on offense needed to call it out, he mentioned Heinicke should help with it because he should see it happening before the snap.  I know the center calls protections with this offense  But I gather Paulsen believes Heinicke should kick in and help with this because it was obvious as heck to the naked eye as it was going down. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1