Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I’d rather start Sam Howell next year over Jimmy G

i think my preference is

1. Wilson

2. Mariota + Howell 

3. Mariota + Corral 

I think Wilson could be the perfect fit for our offense, I’m becoming a big Howell fan and hope we are aggressive to move up and get him if we strike out on Wilson 

17 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Than fine we’ll swing again 

Exactly. Eventually it will be your turn at bat again. If you swing and don't hit a home run in baseball you don't just quit the game.

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I’d rather start Sam Howell next year over Jimmy G

i think my preference is

1. Wilson

2. Mariota + Howell 

3. Mariota + Corral 

I think Wilson could be the perfect fit for our offense, I’m becoming a big Howell fan and hope we are aggressive to move up and get him if we strike out on Wilson 

I think where Howell goes is almost as much of an enigma as where Willis goes.

If you listen to the mock drafts and talking heads you'd think Howell may be a 2nd rounder but as @KDawghas noted as well, there doesn't really seem to be any specific football reason for him dropping in their opinions, so it could just be a case of groupthink.

I have a feeling Howell may go higher than some think. He's the #2 QB on my board at the moment, behind Corral. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Jimmy G could be about to go to his 2nd Superbowl in 3 years. If I'm the 9ers, I'm not trading him. I don't think his price will be high because of a bidding war. It'll be because you'll have to pry him loose.

If they trade him, lets say they save $24 million(I think that's his contract) and get a 2nd rounder. That's not enough for me if I'm trying to get back to another SB right away. Not with questions about your rookie.

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

They aren’t taking 2 QBs. It casts doubt and creates a split among the building from the first step onto the practice field. The Kirk pick was a mistake on the same way

some of the teams who were doing that were so bare at QB they needed another anyway.  Prior to the 2012 draft all we had were Grossman and Beck

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m largely ignoring the “there are no good QBs in this draft” narrative. It’s a parroted misinformed statement. If they said there aren’t any can’t miss prospects that would be accurate. But there are several prospects that could ultimately work out. 

If you have the “no QBs” take without watching them, I urge you to watch them. If you’re basing it off of highlights, I urge you to find full games.

I promise there are possibilities. Yes, they can miss, too. And there are concerns with all of them. But that doesn’t mean the class stinks.

And if we were talking about drafting them around the time Wilson, Prescott or Cousins were drafted I'd be cool with grabbing them.  We're talking about drafting them at 11 or even trading up for them

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Exactly. Eventually it will be your turn at bat again. If you swing and don't hit a home run in baseball you don't just quit the game.

I think where Howell goes is almost as much of an enigma as where Willis goes.

If you listen to the mock drafts and talking heads you'd think Howell may be a 2nd rounder but as @KDawghas noted as well, there doesn't really seem to be any specific football reason for him dropping in their opinions, so it could just be a case of groupthink.

I have a feeling Howell may go higher than some think. He's the #2 QB on my board at the moment, behind Corral. 

that may also be a sign they previously artificially raising him up and have now learned enough they knew to stop

5 minutes ago, MrJL said:

some of the teams who were doing that were so bare at QB they needed another anyway.  Prior to the 2012 draft all we had were Grossman and Beck

And if we were talking about drafting them around the time Wilson, Prescott or Cousins were drafted I'd be cool with grabbing them.  We're talking about drafting them at 11 or even trading up for them

that may also be a sign they previously artificially raising him up and have now learned enough they knew to stop

That’s the way quarterbacks work. And for the record hindsight says Wilson, Prescott and Cousins should have been drafted earlier than they were.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

That’s the way quarterbacks work. And for the record hindsight says Wilson, Prescott and Cousins should have been drafted earlier than they were.

and I want us to take a QB who with hindsight people say should have been taken earlier.  Because getting one of them is less damaging to the team then a bust

3 minutes ago, MrJL said:

and I want us to take a QB who with hindsight people say should have been taken earlier.  Because getting one of them is less damaging to the team then a bust

Finding one is a lot more rare than drafting one in the first. Not sure that’s the route to pursue.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

20/29 for 225.

So no, he didn’t. The Packers ST and the Niners ST decided the game. The Niners offense was truly bad all game long. The Packers couldn’t get in the end zone. Their running game was abysmal. 

... and only 10 points? 

Sounds as odd as our game against the Packers where we dominated in every possible way, but just refused to score.

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jimmy G could be about to go to his 2nd Superbowl in 3 years. If I'm the 9ers, I'm not trading him. I don't think his price will be high because of a bidding war. It'll be because you'll have to pry him loose.

If they trade him, lets say they save $24 million(I think that's his contract) and get a 2nd rounder. That's not enough for me if I'm trying to get back to another SB right away. Not with questions about your rookie.

I am not a fan of giving up assets for Jimmy G. I think he is overrated. He has a well above average team around him just as he did in NE. He is prone to making boneheaded decisions that lead to turnovers in virtually every game. That's acceptable for a rookie, not for a vet you are giving up assets to acquire to be the man.

You are correct, 49ers would probably be best to keep him. I guess that unless they are in cap hell or just want to get something for a guy that is a FA at the end of the year otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I am not a fan of giving up assets for Jimmy G. I think he is overrated. He has a well above average team around him just as he did in NE. He is prone to making boneheaded decisions that lead to turnovers in virtually every game. That's acceptable for a rookie, not for a vet you are giving up assets to acquire to be the man.

You are correct, 49ers would probably be best to keep him. I guess that unless they are in cap hell or just want to get something for a guy that is a FA at the end of the year otherwise. 

I would imagine next week is going to be extremely important for what they do. If they lose the CG or win the SB I think they'd lean towards trading him. Especially if the loss is because of him. I think if they lose the SB and it's not because of his play, they'd ride one more year with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If we are taking a QB on potential Wills would have to be way to go. I am afraid his level of competition was to low to get a read on him. Definitely most potential. Alittle worried about accuracy on throws but potential is there.

I think Mississippi and pitt guys are least likely to bust and are ready to play now but I don't know how good they would be. 

Cinn and Carolina QB are a step behind but look like they could be NFL QB. They could be good second round.

Willis will never be a good pocket passer in the NFL. He is crazy athletic and will thrive for maybe 5 years if he’s put in a read option system. He will probably be the only qb in this draft that’ll have immediate impact. I think he’ll be better than Hurts but not as good as Lamar Jackson. 

Corral played against great talent in the SEC, but so did Pickett and Howell in the ACC. The ACC is third in the power 5 conferences for players in the NFL. Cincinnati however plays in a conference with a huge drop off in NFL talent. I’m not saying Ridder has zero chance of being a good nfl qb, but it’s not likely. My top 3  passers in this draft are Pickett, Corral, then Howell but my top 3 qb’s overall are Pickett, Corral, then Willis bc of his read option capabilities. I think Pickett/Corral/Willis go top 15 and Howell goes late 1st or early 2nd. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I seriously doubt the Niners coaches are under any illusion as to how good Jimmy G actually is. They all know perfectly well that the team won despite him yesterday. They all know perfectly well that he played, at the very best, mediocre football when they went to the SB before (2 TDs, 3 INTs during that run) and wasn't one of the main factors in them getting there.

If they actually thought he was a really good QB they wouldn't have used 3 1st round picks on Trey Lance.

Now...does that mean they won't be able to sucker some team into overpaying for him based upon some inflated sense of worth because he tagged along to a SB (or even two if they get super lucky this time)? Probably not. But I sure as hell hope we're not the suckers who overpay for him.

I don't think anyone would have to "pry" him away, as if the Niner suddenly decided that he's actually a good QB now. They know exactly what he is and what he can do, and it's not enough for them, so they drafted a guy with a much higher ceiling.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I seriously doubt the Niners coaches are under any illusion as to how good Jimmy G actually is. They all know perfectly well that the team won despite him yesterday. They all know perfectly well that he played, at the very best, mediocre football when they went to the SB before (2 TDs, 3 INTs during that run) and wasn't one of the main factors in them getting there.

If they actually thought he was a really good QB they wouldn't have used 3 1st round picks on Trey Lance.

Now...does that mean they won't be able to sucker some team into overpaying for him based upon some inflated sense of worth because he tagged along to a SB (or even two if they get super lucky this time)? Probably not. But I sure as hell hope we're not the suckers who overpay for him.

I don't think anyone would have to "pry" him away, as if the Niner suddenly decided that he's actually a good QB now. They know exactly what he is and what he can do, and it's not enough for them, so they drafted a guy with a much higher ceiling.

If the Packers won, it would have been despite Rodgers too. Both QBs sucked. The weather played a huge part in that game.

Nobody is under the illusion that Jimmy G is some great QB carrying them, but they win with him. That's undeniable. Maybe it's that he can run the offense how Kyle wants.

Kyle knows what it's like to be in QB purgatory, so why move on now? 

I am under no delusion about Jimmy G.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If the Packers won, it would have been despite Rodgers too. Both QBs sucked. The weather played a huge part in that game.

Nobody is under the illusion that Jimmy G is some great QB carrying them, but they win with him. That's undeniable. Maybe it's that he can run the offense how Kyle wants.

Kyle knows what it's like to be in QB purgatory, so why move on now? 

I am under no delusion about Jimmy G.

Rodgers is a future 1st ballot HoF QB who had a somewhat bad day. Jimmy G is a mediocre QB who had a somewhat typical day. There's simply no comparison there.

And saying "they win with him" is technically true, but doesn't actually have much meaning because he's rarely much of a real cause of their wins for the most part. He's just sort of there. He fills a role, and they design their offense around him so he doesn't have to do too much, because they probably know he's not capable of much.

Kyle has already moved on. They drafted Jimmy G's replacement because they clearly want something more than a mediocre game manager who only wins when there's a stellar cast surrounding him. They aren't going to suddenly do a 180 and decide that he's their future now, just because he was carried by the rest of the team to another NFC championship game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Rodgers is a future 1st ballot HoF QB who had a somewhat bad day. Jimmy G is a mediocre QB who had a somewhat typical day. There's simply no comparison there.

And saying "they win with him" is technically true, but doesn't actually have much meaning because he's rarely much of a real cause of their wins for the most part. He's just sort of there. He fills a role, and they design their offense around him so he doesn't have to do too much, because they probably know he's not capable of much.

Kyle has already moved on. They drafted Jimmy G's replacement because they clearly want something more than a mediocre game manager who only wins when there's a stellar cast surrounding him. They aren't going to suddenly do a 180 and decide that he's their future now, just because he was carried by the rest of the team to another NFC championship game.

So, you're saying the weather had no impact on either QB, is that right?

The 49ers do with Jimmy exactly what we did with Heinicke. If we were doing that with Jimmy, we'd have gone to the playoffs too and nothing would stop us from still looking for our long term answer to QB.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, you're saying the weather had no impact on either QB, is that right?

The 49ers do with Jimmy exactly what we did with Heinicke. If we were doing that with Jimmy, we'd have gone to the playoffs too and nothing would stop us from still looking for our long term answer to QB.

Sure, the weather had some impact on both QBs I'm assuming. But IMO the game Rodgers had was much more of an aberration than the game that Jimmy G had. Jimmy G usually has a low number of TDs and throws a decent amount of picks, so a 0 TD 1 INT game isn't exactly bizarre for him. But a 0 TD game for Rodgers is pretty rare. 

I'm honestly not sure exactly where you're going with the Rodgers/Jimmy G comparison thing.

As far as Jimmy G and Heinicke...yeah that's pretty much what we did with Heinicke. He's pretty mediocre and has limitations, so we masked his limitations as best we could and will move on from him very soon, just like the Niners are moving on from Jimmy G.

I don't see any reason why we would want to give up a high round pick for their mediocre castoff because he's a bit less bad than our current mediocre QB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sure, the weather had some impact on both QBs I'm assuming. But IMO the game Rodgers had was much more of an aberration than the game that Jimmy G had. Jimmy G usually has a low number of TDs and throws a decent amount of picks, so a 0 TD 1 INT game isn't exactly bizarre for him. But a 0 TD game for Rodgers is pretty rare. 

I'm honestly not sure exactly where you're going with the Rodgers/Jimmy G comparison thing.

As far as Jimmy G and Heinicke...yeah that's pretty much what we did with Heinicke. He's pretty mediocre and has limitations, so we masked his limitations as best we could and will move on from him very soon, just like the Niners are moving on from Jimmy G.

I don't see any reason why we would want to give up a high round pick for their mediocre castoff because he's a bit less bad than our current mediocre QB.

The only comparison that I made about Rodgers and JG is that the weather affected both of their games. That is it. Yes, they both had bad games, because of the bad weather.

JG is a large improvement over Heinicke and we could have won out with him, instead of Heinicke. 

I get the "Next Brady or Bust" argument, just don't think it's realistic.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Did you forget everyone in the NFL including the 49ers have eyes and can see Jimmy G is garbage 

• Like 1