Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

I agree, I was just being a little sarcastic to point out that instead of being overly optimistic this year the board is kind of trending overly pessimistic.

All that stuff is true on paper but things in this league have a funny way of not turning out how you expect them to.

Speaking for myself.  I am VERY optimistic about the direction of the franchise with Josh Harris coming.  And about the 2024 team.  Just frustrated that in my mind, Rivera didn't finish making the meal so to speak for 2023.   He always seems to leave off a key dish or two off the plate which makes the meal lacking on the aggregate.  I was good with this style for the first three years but year 4?  That was my breaking point.  Whereas our division rivals at least in theory to me are more aggressive and shoot for completing the plate -- especially the Eagles. 

But getting past that.  This is my favorite WR-RB tandem since the SB years.  My favorite defensive lineup since the superbowl years.  Howell is an unknown but I lean optimistic about him.  I think the odds are really good this team makes a big move in 2024 where they contend.  

For any wanting some strong sunshine listen to Sheehan's new podcast with Scot McCloughan.  I like Scot more than most.  He had a good draft in 2015.  2016 -- wasn't hot but he still got Fuller and Ionnaidis and traded down and added three picks for 2017 -- which no other GM we've had done anything like that.  But it was interesting for him to hear that he's now even more into the personality than he is the talent.  He said in the past it was 90% talent, 10% personality that he cared about.   

Anyway, he loved this team's draft, said it was one of the top 5 drafts in the league.   Actually, from a pick by pick stand point I liked the draft too but I don't like how the whole roster fits together in the context of contending in 2023.  But I do think its a nice set up for someone else to finish building the roster in 2024. 

Scot's take.

Likes Forbes a lot.  Likes Quan Martin even more.  His favorite pick was Chris Rodriguez -- he thinks he was the best pick in the draft for any team.  He graded him as a 2nd rounder.  He actually had Frank Gore watch some of his games and sounded like Gore concurred with Scot -- as to Rodriguez's consistency and violence in his running style.  Stromberg he felt was a solid pick -- he thought they picked him in the right spot in the draft, sees him as a 10 year plus starter.  He likes Daniels, Henry's potential.   

As to Howell, he seems to like him.  He's optimistic but he wasn't over the top about it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Sam gets no possibility of success because he’s a 5th Round pick.

A UDFA TE is out with a non-contact injury and it requires three-days mourning since he was apparently the next Tony Gonzales.

Makes sense.

Edited by ntotoro
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I don't get the knock on Howell for being a 5th rounder. I'm not comparing him to other QB's but Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Mark Brunell was a 5th rounder. Joe Theismann was a 4th rounder. I've seen too many 1st and 2nd round busts to worry too much where they are drafted.

• Like 2

I am slowly rewatching the Dallas game with All-22. 

The pick actually looks better for Howell when you slow it down.  You can see what he saw.  He just needed to get the ball out a little faster and a little higher in the air.  That was his one WTF throw that day, and it really isn't that bad to my eyes when you slow it down.

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 4.32.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 4.32.33 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Sam gets no possibility of success because he’s a 5th Round pick.

I've seen plenty especially via the national media about the 5th round status and using it to knock Sam.  And its over the top on their end.   Should be interesting.  I find it analogous to Kirk who fell to the 4th.   Kirk like Sam was projected typically as a 2nd round guy.  His talent exceeded his draft status.    But I'll say Sam has some fans too within the national media.  It doesn't matter though of course.   But it should be fun if he plays well and the national media eats crow on it.  Heck a lot of the national media wasn't high on Hurts and now they see him as a QB God.  So fortunes change fast.

2 hours ago, ntotoro said:

A UDFA TE is out with a nom-contact injury and it requires three-days mourning since he was apparently the next Tony Gonzales.

Got no idea about the 3 day mourning thing is on the board, I guess I missed the thread. 

But for those who said they had an injury plagued TE unit last year and they brought it all back with not a single addition and that's risky -- I think losing one of those dominos so quickly helps make the point.  

I think the panic stuff comes off more as a vibe from those tied to team than the fans.   Logan Paulsen suggested in the off season that Rogers was a dude they were jazzed about and is part of the reason why they might not draft a TE.  Keim suggested the same though he wasn’t as focused on Rogers per se. In his case he waffled a bit on whether they’d take a TE.  Keim talked about them having plans on Rogers helping Bieinemy's screen game --and Keim was the dude that said "big blow" in a tweet.   

Keim usually isn't emotional and mostly parrots his sources with the team.   So I gather someone told him from the team its a big blow.  But I agree if so the team should chill about a dude that only caught 5 passes last year regardless of whether they had big plans for him this season.   It's cool they were excited about him apparently.  But still he gave them nothing last year.  So its all projection.

2 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I don't get the knock on Howell for being a 5th rounder. I'm not comparing him to other QB's but Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Mark Brunell was a 5th rounder. Joe Theismann was a 4th rounder. I've seen too many 1st and 2nd round busts to worry too much where they are drafted.

Joe was a 4th round pick by the Dolphins, went to play CFL instead and we traded a  (future) 1st round pick of him. Then we sat him on the bench and had him return punts …

So he was a 1st rounder, sort of.

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From watching camp also its tough to judge from just one day.  Because it can change from day to day.  Based on the one practice reporters watched, got the vibe that his accuracy was good and better than Taylor and Wentz.  He supposedly looked better in the individual drills than he did in the team drills according to a reporter.  But I also recall hearing Wentz had some killer practices last year and then also some very bad ones.  So consistency is key. 

Couldn’t agree more, 100% consistency is the key. Yup, Kirk was always reported to be accurate (if memory serves), it seemed Smith was pretty consistent during his time in this area as well. The rest of the team responds well to this, knowing they have a guy who can at minimum deliver the ball if open. 

Great fan value for the junkies like us, this Howell experiment. Fun stuff! 

I've seen via the camps I've gone to a lot of:  Keenum, Kirk, Colt, Haskins, Fitzpatrick, Heinicke.  The only dude is that group that showed consistent accuracy was Kirk.  So overall I agree with the point.  but the script needs to play out over multiple practices.  Haskins for example ranged in the practices I watched from great to awful depending on the day.  Heinicke and Fitz were up and down over the course of the same practices I watched -- they had phases where they looked like Montana then phases when they outright sucked. 

Right, I’m to the point I’m out on a guy if he’s not reported to be consistently accurate in OTAs, especially if not a great dual threat option. 

I recall sharing that at the time from Richmond.  I am really tempted to go watch Howell in part because I can somewhat do some apples to apples comparisons from past QBs.  I am gathering they aren't going alas to Richmond this time but I think they will have some open practices at Commanders Park. 

Your updates would be money 💰 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, wit33 said:

Couldn’t agree more, 100% consistency is the key. Yup, Kirk was always reported to be accurate (if memory serves), it seemed Smith was pretty consistent during his time in this area as well. The rest of the team responds well to this, knowing they have a guy who can at minimum deliver the ball if open. 

Yeah i missed the Alex camp.   You can see so much in camp because they make them repeat throws again and again.  So you can not only see accuracy on every level but could also see them apples to apples with the other QBs because in their drills they throw back to back.  Also easy to see velocity apples to apples.

It's interesting to me also to see which players engage with fans.  Some did it big time -- Kerrigan, J. Norman, Terry among others. Some want nothing to do with it -- Payne, J. Allen.   Chase was interactive but it was during COVID so they didn't allow him close to the fans.  The QBs we've had when I was up there weren't that interactive aside from Haskins -- Kirk to some extent but not as much.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 10:48 PM, redskinss said:

Didn't you get the memo?

Our off season was meh, we have an atrocious offensive line and our tight end group is so bad that the front office is criminally negligent for not planning to lose an undrafted free agent from last year due to injury. 

The team with the 5th most losses in the last 30 years didn't address what the FO told us was the biggest issue and after two years of chasing 41 different QBs have settled on a day 3 pick who happened to already be on the team, despite not wanting to start him for the last game last year (when he went 11/19 169 1/1). Sure we hired an OC that KC was actively trying to dump and nobody wanted to hire as a HC for the last 5 years and never called plays, which should really help. Especially in a division with the team that's probably going back to the superbowl if they can beat the other two teams that are going back to the playoffs.

Shocking that we're all not Pollyanna's.

We got the one thing that we all wanted. The Commode is flushed of it's biggest turd, but it's a "hope for a top 5 pick" kinda season with a lame coach and FO. 

The Lions, Browns, Bengals, Texans, Jags all have a reason to be excited. The ****ing team we kicked outta the East for sucking, is our only real compaction for rock bottom this year.

Enjoy your optimism, you can laugh at everyone when we win the superbowl.  :ols:  :ols:  :ols:  

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am slowly rewatching the Dallas game with All-22. 

The pick actually looks better for Howell when you slow it down.  You can see what he saw.  He just needed to get the ball out a little faster and a little higher in the air.  That was his one WTF throw that day, and it really isn't that bad to my eyes when you slow it down.

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 4.32.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 4.32.33 PM.png

Looking at this its still a throw he shouldn’t make - but I also hate the play design. You can throw a large blanket over4 receivers in that still - that brings a crowd of defenders. If that throw to the back corner is the primary let’s create some more room and cleaner reads by getting much better spacing on the routes and taking defenders away from that area. There does not seem to be an easy check down either. Poor design and poor decision.

Howell is aggressive, there will be decisions like that this season. Hopefully he learns when to be aggressive and when its better to check it down, throw it out the back of the end zone or tuck it and run.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Looking at this its still a throw he shouldn’t make - but I also hate the play design. You can throw a large blanket over4 receivers in that still - that brings a crowd of defenders. If that throw to the back corner is the primary let’s create some more room and cleaner reads by getting much better spacing on the routes and taking defenders away from that area. There does not seem to be an easy check down either. Poor design and poor decision.

Howell is aggressive, there will be decisions like that this season. Hopefully he learns when to be aggressive and when its better to check it down, throw it out the back of the end zone or tuck it and run.

@Going Commando has been talking about the poor route spacing in Turner’s offense for years. Let’s hope that plague is gone now with EB

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The team with the 5th most losses in the last 30 years didn't address what the FO told us was the biggest issue and after two years of chasing 41 different QBs have settled on a day 3 pick who happened to already be on the team, despite not wanting to start him for the last game last year (when he went 11/19 169 1/1). Sure we hired an OC that KC was actively trying to dump and nobody wanted to hire as a HC for the last 5 years and never called plays, which should really help. Especially in a division with the team that's probably going back to the superbowl if they can beat the other two teams that are going back to the playoffs.

Shocking that we're all not Pollyanna's.

We got the one thing that we all wanted. The Commode is flushed of it's biggest turd, but it's a "hope for a top 5 pick" kinda season with a lame coach and FO. 

The Lions, Browns, Bengals, Texans, Jags all have a reason to be excited. The ****ing team we kicked outta the East for sucking, is our only real compaction for rock bottom this year.

Enjoy your optimism, you can laugh at everyone when we win the superbowl.  :ols:  :ols:  :ols:  

You are way too low on this team. You think we’re going to compete for first overall? Wow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Zero chance we are first overall. We'll be low teens at best.

We’ll probably pick anywhere from 10-15 again.  If things go sideways early though, and we’re 2-6 after 8 games, we should be bottoming out for a Top 5 pick.  The closer we are to the Top 5, the better our odds are of drafting that elusive franchise QB we deserve.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, samy316 said:

We’ll probably pick anywhere from 10-15 again.  If things go sideways early though, and we’re 2-6 after 8 games, we should be bottoming out for a Top 5 pick.  The closer we are to the Top 5, the better our odds are of drafting that elusive franchise QB we deserve.

We're definitely going to do something like 2-6, but we'll rally like a loser and ruin our shot at a QB.  No way do we throw it away for maye.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We're definitely going to do something like 2-6, but we'll rally like a loser and ruin our shot at a QB.  No way do we throw it away for maye.

Unfortunately, this might be the case.  I would hope we tank, with a 2-6 record, because Rivera would be fired, and Del-Rio would be the interim coach.  I fear that our defense is too good for us to tank, so we won’t get that opportunity to pick Top 5 next year.  Another wasted season, but at least we’ll have a new owner, and a better FO making decisions going forward, so not all is lost.

Jeez guys, does anything good happen in your worlds? How about we just enjoy the coming change of ownership and watch some games - we have a young QB and a new offense with quality skill players to make things interesting and what should be a strong D. Good things could happen or it good be just more meh. 

Either way a new era is about to start and we are due some luck at the QB position.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Cool Hwhip said:

I swear some of you are almost hoping Howell sucks so we can get Maye or Williams. That's pretty ridiculous to think that way as a fan. Or am I just being dramatic?

You’re not being dramatic. It’s a lot of post draft angst here because we didn’t draft the guys that everyone here wanted to draft. So now it’s all doom and gloom despite having a good roster and a young QB. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I really like Howell and am really excited about him. I've been on SamWow mountain since that game he played against NC State and he blew me away.

I upset at whatever happened to Ron. I've been a huge supporter of his and his low ceiling since day one. 

It feels like he quit and didn't follow through on fixing what he told us was broken.

• Like 2