Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

28 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

So many think 4 qbs are going in the top 5. I just don’t see it. There are always surprises. A lot of qb needy teams, but that is no different than any other year. I think Giants could move to 3 and grab a qb, but i can definitely see Arizona and the Chargers taking WRs. If nobody leap frogs the giants, they could sit at 6 and still grab a qb. But, they may want to trade up to guarantee they get a guy they like. 

Kind of disagree, Minn. has the ammo to move up if they chose I believe. If you are the Chargers or Arizona you get 2 no.1 picks this year, No. 1 next year.  There are 4 super W.R's in the top half of the draft. And some really good OL,DL,or what ever later. and you have a no.1 next year. 

1 minute ago, Dah-Dee said:

Todd McShay has an announcement:

The Maye archetype is the one that scouts seem to miss on often. Sometimes it's Drew Lock, Paxton Lynch, Sam Darnold. Other times it's Josh Allen, Justin Herbert. Most of these guys would have easily placed Tua ahead of Herbert. None of them would in a redraft today. Maye played multiple sports growing up and is a natural athlete. Just need to coach him on some mechanical issues, but there are enough flashes to see he can get there if he's truly dedicated to the craft. The arm talent is undeniable and he rarely looked to the sidelines for pre-snap adjustments, showing he was responsible for most of the operation. That UNC team had no business winning 8 games.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s not about having a high hit rate at the top of the draft—the hit rate is low across the board, objectively.

And that is the point I was trying to make.

If you want to get a franchise quarterback, your chances are better at the top of the draft than lower, but the hit rate on QBs overall is low. 

4 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I think both can be successful, but I think we are situated for Maye to succeed if the fan base can be patient.

This fanbase remain patient? No chance of that 😆

2 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

I actually think our fans will be patient if he at least shows some flashes early. He can't completely suck but the fans were willing to give Haskins a second season when he was absolutely awful for most of his rookie year.

Regardless, I would not make moves based on how our fans might or might not react.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Dude, what? Derek Carr? Carr has an average NFL arm, average mobility, subpar creativiy and playmaking ability. Carr is a worse version of Kirk Cousins. He is the definition of average. I honestly have no idea why a prospect with the highlight reel of Drake Maye and the sloppiness you also see at times can make you think you see Derek Carr. To me that is the exact opposite of a Derek Carr type of QB.😅

You're right, I don't think I worded it very well, what I meant to say is that I see a QB like Carr as Maye's ceiling in the NFL. Capable but not a franchise changing QB. Who knows, these kids are all a crapshoot? Gonna be a long 3 days til 8:00 Thursday night. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

You're right, I don't think I worded it very well, what I meant to say is that I see a QB like Carr as Maye's ceiling in the NFL. Capable but not a franchise changing QB. Who knows, these kids are all a crapshoot? Gonna be a long 3 days til 8:00 Thursday night. 

Maye's ceiling is much higher than Derek freaking Carr dude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Listening to Cooley's take actually makes me want Maye more. I'm sold on enormous upside. If he has to sit a bit then fine, I can accept that. I'm in this for the long run.

I can live with taking home run swings and missing. Fortune favors the bold. Go big or go home. Scared money don't make no money.

I listened to it. 

A major thing though he felt very differently from your take.    He loves Daniels upside and thinks he's the best QB in the draft.  He thought Daniels and Caleb are elite prospects. He said he would take Jayden Daniels "no question" at #2.  To paraphrase he thinks the next 3 QBs are a tier below. And said "I don't think anyone would confuse that"

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

This is basically where I'm at. My eye test says Maye or even McCarthy would be better options than Daniels, but Peters is a stud, and if that's who the team drafts, I'll get behind it.

I'm just a former science teacher that deals blue meth, so what do I know.

walter white breaking bad gif | WiffleGif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

This is pretty hilarious considering he threw for 65% completions and his receivers led CFB in drops. He wasn't 50/50 like Josh Allen who for some unknown reason Cooley actually liked.

Actually, I'd remove the word "terribly" but I would include the word "inconsistent."  

I like that better than "inaccurate." 

In the few games I watched of him, he hit just about every type of throw you can make.

And he missed every type of throw you can make.

The question really is "why?"  Is that who he is?  Or is it correctable?  I have no idea.

In the UVA game, he missed 2 sure-fire, 100% deep TD passes.  He had guys open by 5+ yards and just flat overthrew them. And they weren't close.  Overthrown by 5+ yards. Granted, the passes were 40+ yards down the field. So, that's a bit tough.  But an NFL QB should hit an open guy 40+ yards down field just about every time.  It's part of the job.  

On the flip side, he hit 2 of them in stride as well.  

I saw him hit a few swing passes, and throw one in the dirt.  

He hit a BEAUTIFUL tight-window deep post for a TD between 2 defenders.  He missed a shorter slant by 5 yards to the wrong spot.  

I have been a Maye guy for a while because I like his size, athleticism and arm talent.  And accuracy, oddly enough. I think he throws with anticipation, and he can put the ball on guys right where they need to be.  Sometimes.  

But if I'm being honest, the inconsistency is very troubling.  I don't think he's "terribly inconsistent."  But he's inconsistent enough it might cost him 2-3 draft spots. Though again, it might not.  Maybe he works out of it, maybe he doesn't.  That's the hard thing to know.  I'm sure the coaches and the scouts have been pouring over all the film to try and diagnose if it's a mechanical thing or it's a between the ears thing.  If it's mechanical, most often, it can be fixed.

If it's a between the ear thing ...  I dunno. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kalu44 said:

Its very possible but depends on the expectations set by the front office and coaches. 

As long as team leadership are honest and as transparent as possible with the fanbase, anything is possible. 

ill speak for myself, Im more than willing to give this thing at least 2-3 years depending on how things look on the field. 

I do expect whoever is picked at two to start right away, and I also dont expect to win anything this season. I know some people will point to Houston last year, but I doubt that is the internal expectation. I think internally they expect more along the lines of how Peters described the SF rebuild. It was something along the lines of “being proud of the team right away, but not winning the division until year 3” (i think this was the intro presser)

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Maye's ceiling is much higher than Derek freaking Carr dude.

Hard to say til he shows it. I'm sure most QB's taken in the 1st round have high ceilings but how many don't come close to Derrick Carr's career? Did you know that Carr threw for 3900 yards with 25 TD's/8 picks with a 97.7 QB rating this past season? That's no slouch of a comp for Maye. Carr's career numbers are actually very good...40,000 passing yards, 242 TD passes to just 107 picks with a 92.3 QB rating. He just hasn't taken his teams all that far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

The idea of a Giant Penix in New York that's likely gonna bust anyway...the jokes right themselves, I dare them...

Many years ago a guy in our fantasy league had - for a short time - three QBs on his roster:

Brad Johnson, Chris Weinke, and Rob Johnson

So he had two Johnsons and a Weinke.  

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, illone said:

Orlovsky is such a tool

Well.  They SHOULD try.  

They will fail.  But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.  (I haven't watched the clip, I've just seen the title)

There is a GREAT sequence from the movie Zorro with Antonio Banderas and Anthony Hopkins, where Antonio is drunk and upset and wants to go challenge a Spanish Colonel or something because he thinks the Colonel killed his brother (and he's right about that.)

Hopkins: Do you even know how to use that thing? (pointing to a sword)

Banderas:  Pointy end goes in the other guy.

Hopkins: My friend, if you do this, you will fight bravely and die quickly .

That's the Raiders attempt to trade up to #2.  They will fight bravely and die quickly.  

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Panninho said:

If this happens, it would single-handeldy ruin every hope I had for this team. You just know how this would end. We would get rolled by the Giants for two decades because they got the player we were supposed to draft...

Exactly and you know dang well in your heart of hearts this is what's going to happen. We will take Daniels and he will be the big bust of the 3 QBs and Maye will have a great career with the Giants and JJ will have even a better career because he was the most overlooked. It's just the commanders..Redskins...way. Teams wouldn't be offering more if Maye is there vs Daniels at #3 besides the raiders because they go back to ASU bs.. The media is the only one pushing Daniels at #2. The NFL knows who they think will have a better career and it's showing with the talk about the haul they would offer for Maye vs Daniels. 

3 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

The knocks on misses the layup throws, while true, is bizarre because his accuracy overall is excellent so if he misses so badly on these that mean his intermediate and deep/difficult accuracy is actually awesome. Which tells me he can either improve in th easy stuff, and I’d he doesn’t, you design an offense that just attacks intermediate/ deep and don’t use the RB dump off plays, etc.

Maye actually has the second-worst on-target rate for intermediate throws (11-19 yds) (Austin Reed is worst) of any QB in the 2024 class.

He's only slightly better at 1-10 (12th of 16).

He's somewhat better at 20+ (8th of 16).

2024-QB-Class-Rates-1024x314(1).png.ee48f89c7c75f8a42ea3f6bd9feba83a.png

Graph from this article:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/what-does-accuracy-tell-us-about-the-2024-quarterback-draft-class/

Just now, FlyBigBeard said:

Exactly and you know dang well in your heart of hearts this is what's going to happen. We will take Daniels and he will be the big bust of the 3 QBs and Maye will have a great career with the Giants and JJ will have even a better career because he was the most overlooked. It's just the commanders..Redskins...way. Teams wouldn't be offering more if Maye is there vs Daniels at #3 besides the raiders because they go back to ASU bs.. The media is the only one pushing Daniels at #2. The NFL knows who they think will have a better career and it's showing with the talk about the haul they would offer for Maye vs Daniels. 

:lol: it’s all a huge conspiracy to push Daniels to Washington by analysts and the media! Come on now. Maye isn’t getting past pick 3 and the Pats aren’t trading down. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

They will fail.  But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try.  (I haven't watched the clip, I've just seen the title)

ill save you the trouble of having to listen to that guy speak. 

he said “if washington passes on Jayden its a huge mistake.”

what a dolt. Id pull up his talent evaluation record, but i think we already know its abysmal. 

I got a list of bonafide studs that I want at 36.  Forget QB, if Peters crosses me in the 2nd round, I am done with this new regime. 

McConkey in particular is the next Cooper Kupp.  But if Quinn gets in the way of this pick or Peters falls to the draft media pressure on this and takes a dude that is overhyped who i don't like ala Troy Franklin, I am out!

giphy.gif

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Hard to say til he shows it. I'm sure most QB's taken in the 1st round have high ceilings but how many don't come close to Derrick Carr's career? Did you know that Carr threw for 3900 yards with 25 TD's/8 picks with a 97.7 QB rating this past season? That's no slouch of a comp for Maye. Carr's career numbers are actually very good...40,000 passing yards, 242 TD passes to just 107 picks with a 92.3 QB rating. He just hasn't taken his teams all that far. 

This.  Derek Carr (for all the grief he's gotten as a pro) has had a couple of pro bowl seasons, and a couple of playoff appearances.  Maye wishes to have that type of career if he's lucky someday.  Being compared to a QB that's won 12 games in a season and has thrown for over 4,000 yds in at least 4 seasons is NOTHING to sneeze at.  These Maye stans are starting to get ridiculous.  He's not going to be a Justin Herbert clone (just like Jayden Daniels is not going to be a Lamar Jackson clone).

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Maye actually has the second-worst on-target rate for intermediate throws (11-19 yds) (Austin Reed is worst) of any QB in the 2024 class.

He's only slightly better at 1-10 (12th of 16).

He's somewhat better at 20+ (8th of 16).

2024-QB-Class-Rates-1024x314(1).png.ee48f89c7c75f8a42ea3f6bd9feba83a.png

Graph from this article:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/what-does-accuracy-tell-us-about-the-2024-quarterback-draft-class/

Cooley was critical about Maye's accuracy on the 2nd level, I was a bit surprised by it.  He overall liked Maye but feels his accuracy problems are on all levels.