Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): Ineptitude vs. Kansas City

KDawg

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Though Pats just took the lead back, my man Mac Jones.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a young potential franchise QB?   

If we did draft Jones, Fields or Lance, would this staff know how to bring them along? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

If we did draft Jones, Fields or Lance, would this staff know how to bring them along? 

Sure.  I am not in the camp that this team is coached by dunces.  I know some here believe that but not me by a long shot. 

Cam wasn't just a franchise QB but they modeled the college offense for him and helped bring RO to the NFL in a big way pre RG3. 

I am by a mile of the camp that we don't have the horses versus we got the right horses but they aren't coached up.  I know that's a wildly unpopular view ANY season here during a losing streak.  But i'll take my medicine on it.  :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure.  I am not in the camp that this team is coached by dunces.  I know some here believe that but not me by a long shot. 

Cam wasn't just a franchise QB but they modeled the college offense for him and helped bring RO to the NFL in a big way pre RG3. 

I am by a mile of the camp that we don't have the horses versus we got the right horses but they aren't coached up.  I know that's a wildly unpopular view ANY season here during a losing streak.  But i'll take my medicine on it.  :ols:

I’m in the camp that our coaches are micromanaged. Every regime. No difference.

21 minutes ago, ThePackisback said:

You will be there very soon.

How many beers deep are ya?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dosen't help that the players suck just as much as the coaches..The talent evaluators just stink at drafting players..So many premium picks were wasted on players that past couple years that are no longer here.

Edited by bh32

Sounds like I ought to give myself a *** for missing the game. Had an obligation that took me to Pennsylvania today. I did try to listen on the radio, but was only able to tune in for the last few minutes.

Weirdly, on the radio they made it sound like Washington did a pretty good job on defense and forced multiple turnovers before being overwhelmed. They said it was the offense who failed to do their job this time. Reading this thread, I get the sense that the stink was very well distributed.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants got steamrolled today.  They also lost to Atlanta.   Fans booed them off the field today and their players are upset about it.  We beat them.  They have the worst record in the NFL since 2017.  I think we are in better shape.  

Worse shape, better shape, it matters not, because at least the Giants fans have been able to taste victory and see their team win super bowls in fairly recent history (2008, 2012).  Washington fans have been essentially watching a garbage team that will have an occasional decent season for  30 years!!

tonight at dinner time my 23 year old daughter asked me why I even bother with this team, because they have always  been bad.  I told her that at one time this was a great franchise that won several SuperBowls… if you go back 30 or more years.

She was shocked

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe I’m glass half full guy, but I think there IS talent on the roster.  But a few glaring holes are sub optimizing everything.

I think there’s talent there too.  I don’t see our team doing things that I see other productive teams do.   On offense where are the shovel passes and rub routes?  On defense I just think we have a terrible scheme.  And now I’m a believer that Landon Collins just shouldn’t be out there.  I think we have backups better than him.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

I think there’s talent there too.  I don’t see our team doing things that I see other productive teams do.   On offense where are the shovel passes and rub routes?  On defense I just think we have a terrible scheme.  And now I’m a believer that Landon Collins just shouldn’t be out there.  I think we have backups better than him.

The Offense just dosen't have any talent besides Terry..The OL plays decent,But everyone else is just a jag.

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Weirdly, on the radio they made it sound like Washington did a pretty good job on defense and forced multiple turnovers before being overwhelmed. They said it was the offense who failed to do their job this time. Reading this thread, I get the sense that the stink was very well distributed.

I was watching the game at MGM and some rando next to me was citing the turnovers as evidence that the D was doing its job. 

Without taking into account that one INT bounced directly off Tyreek's hands, and the other, while Mahomes was pressured, resulted in him making one of the most irresponsible decisions I've ever seen. KC shouldve rightfully had at least 40 points today.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Sounds like I ought to give myself a *** for missing the game. Had an obligation that took me to Pennsylvania today. I did try to listen on the radio, but was only able to tune in for the last few minutes.

Tyreek Hill dropped a pass that bounced off his hands and into Kendall Fuller's hands on a long Chief drive.

Mahomes lobbed the ball up to no one for the second one.

I wouldn't say the defense was forcing turnovers.

They played relatively decent in the first half all things considered. Abysmal in the second half. Put it like this: If the defense is playing well does the opposing offense have 500 yards?

Our offense was probably worse today but that's not saying much. 

• Like 2

I'm not as hard on Turner as others but those 2nd and 3rd down playcalls before Hop's missed FG were just atrocious and really completely changed the momentum of the game.

With that said, we went into the game with our starting TE and starting all pro RG out and our starting RB and WR both gimpy(and said RB ended up leaving the game). And we're still being led by an UDFA career journeyman QB. The offense is severely handicapped.

Its a players league. More importantly its a QB league.

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m in the camp that our coaches are micromanaged. Every regime. No difference.

They might be.    I could see for example Dan telling Ron don't bench his guy Landon Collins or Rivera feeling uneasy about it with Dan saying something like if he does bench him his replacement better be better otherwise consequences will come.  That seems Dan's ammo. I recall Rivera repeating the story that when he told Dan he wanted to bench Haskins, Dan said fine but Rivera has to wear it.  In other words, he better be right. 

We've had some glimpses of success under Dan.   The common denominator has usually been good QB play or really good leadership from that spot.  Some see Kirk as a cross between the devil and name that terroist but the only time they've had two winning seasons back to back under Dan (granted barely) was with him.   Alex for his faults too had a good run initially.   Brad Johnson.  RG3 2012.  

We've not had an Aaron Rodgers or even Kyler Murray caliber QB.  But even we've had "good" QB play, we've mostly been a good team or at least competitive albeit not great.

I detest Dan as much as anyone.  I'd have to be top 5 on the board as for posts blasting how incompetent and sleazy Dan is and I've been doing it forever.    

My contention though is there is one thing that might override Dan and that is a real franchise QB.  There is some evidence of that already.  It's hard enough to win in the NFL without a top QB in normal circumstances but without Dan its extra hard. 

I've always been somewhat hopped up about the QB spot.  But the more I've watched the league this year, the more of an extremist I am becoming on the issue.  I took a ton of arrows on the Kirk thread.  Not because I thought he was a great QB, I flat out said there many times, he has flaws, he's no Aaron Rodgers by a long shot.  But for an organization so stuck in the desert, tough me to just blow off a nice refreshing glass of water even if its not champagne and start over back in the desert.  I didn't like our chances on that front.  I've been pretty kind to all our young QBs initially (sans Haskins because I didn't believe in him before he got here) hoping we'd get lucky.  Loved RG3 in 2012, that was my favorite season since the SB season.  

My point is I am becoming more hardcore as I am aging versus chiller that the Qb spot is essential.  But that goes double here because of the dysfunction.    I watched the Dallas game today.  Dak Prescot was not going to be denied.  Big play after big play.  Personally I think very little of McCarthy as a head coach.   I think very little of Jerry Jones as an owner.   I don't think Dak is a product of either guy.  Heck Dak and Romo did well playing for the dolt Jason Garrett who is now hated in NY.   Irsay is a buffoon, yet Peyton thrived there in Indy.

Winning without the QB spot is the baseball equivalent of trying to win a divison or pennant without a stellar starting rotation.    It's really hard to do.  Steinbrenner was a mess of an owner.  In the 80s the Yankees had a good lineup and talent.  What were they missing?  A starting rotation.  Tough to win that way even in normal circumstances.  But double hard with the dysfunction.  Race forward into the 90s, that team was able to build a starting rotation in part because Steinbrenner was suspended for 2 years.  All of a sudden the Yankees were built like a true contender and they won a lot in spite of Steinbrenner.

As you know, I like to hear from some reporters about behind the scenes gossip and without repeating it all i have a good vibe about their ability to evaluate QB talent based on supposed interest in Stafford, Jones, Fields and supposedly Hurney loved Herbert.  There is some smoke on that from multiple sources.  If people want to believe that or not that's up to them.  but I believe it.   I got the strong impression even before this season went south that they will be aggressive chasing a QB this off season.  And I get the reasoning why they didn't do it uber aggressively this previous off season.  So my faith in this regime is largely driven by i think they will go after a QB and yeah I do think they might end up successful on that front.  But if they fail, obviously, that likely ends the chances for success.  But I am going to give them this off season to do it.  I am not out on them right now. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The deflating thing is it almost seemed like we had a defense to build around, had Terry/Gibson, just needed one more year to get couple more offensive pieces and a linebacker than find our franchise qb and we’re good to go. Now it seems like we need to rebuild the whole team other than Terry. I see no hope in sight, many many more years of sadness.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

My contention though is there is one thing that might override Dan and that is a real franchise QB.  There is some evidence of that already.  It's hard enough to win in the NFL without a top QB in normal circumstances but without Dan its extra hard. 

Let me know when we get one of those.

Dollars to donuts says no current guy comes here willingly unless the money is beyond absurd. 

We'd have to draft the guy and hope we don't screw it up at contract time. 

I'm starting to think it's not a coincidence that we haven't had any real good QBs in DC. We can't have nice things.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its pointless to invest in defense in today's NFL. Get a stud QB and just try to figure it out everywhere else. The Ravens have like 20 guys on IR mostly on defense and they're still 5-1.

The Ravens are also an example of how an organization should be run. But I understand your point.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

I think when healthy Curtis Samuel makes a big difference.

He probably will make a difference,But he is hurt and who knows when he will be back..The FA's that they signed this year are trash and are a big reason why the team sucks

Just now, ThePackisback said:

Geez guys when I try to encourage you I get a bunch of laughs and thumbs down. I’m going to be honest we love ya as far as other fans go. You guys are good folks.

It comes across very poorly.

We have suffered for decades. You coming in and telling us we're close is very Bruce Allen-esque.

We aren't close. Pretending like we don't know our own team and situation is an odd stance.

I appreciate you coming here and trying to be nice. And I, and I think we, understand you seem like a nice guy who means completely well.

But until you live it... and are a fan of this fanbase... You simply don't understand.

• Like 5