Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition) - Washin @TL

KDawg

Neither team really deserves a full name in the thread title... But Washin earned the first 6 letters today.

The biggest takeaways from watching the game were as follows:

1) Taylor Heinicke, despite being a fringe type starter/top end backup option in the League as a QB due to inconsistency and previous injuries proved that he has more fantastic games than poor ones. Granted, let's be real about him: He threw a few passes that should have been picked off. But they weren't, and Heinicke is finding success not because he's pin point accurate (he's not), not because of his rocket arm (he doesn't have one) but because of his grit, will, determination and giving our playmakers a chance to make plays. 

For what it's worth... I am more comfortable with Taylor Heinicke at quarterback than I have been with any of our previous quarterbacks since Griffin's rookie season. And prior to that... maybe Mark Brunell despite my outright disdain for his constant check downs. 

2) Terry McLaurin. I'm not sure what else needs to be said. Going into today he was #23 all time for the franchise in receiving yards at 2,268 and #27 in receptions at 252.  Add the 6 receptions and 123 yards and he is now at 2,391 yards and 258 receptions. He stays put at #27 in receptions but moves to #22 in franchise receiving yards as he passes Frank Grant for #22.

3) Curtis Samuel is a nice safety valve and our offensive line did a real nice job keeping Heinicke clean today.

4) This team needs a workhorse/bellcow back in the worst way. Gibson is phenomenal. I say that because each and every time I mention the need for a work horse back people think I'm down on Antonio Gibson. I was one of his biggest cheerleaders coming out... along with @Skinsinparadise. You don't need to sell me on Antonio Gibson. He is a monster. The issue is, though, we aren't using him in the best possible way. Having a guy that is capable of carrying the load changes the landscape of the game, and Gibson as a change of pace back getting a similar amount of touches he is now (maybe more if you get him more involved in the passing game) makes him even more dangerous as the other guy wears opposing defenses down. 

5) No one ever wants an injury. Ever. Especially to a guy who is by all accounts a good dude. But as soon as Bostic went down the defense looked the best that it had all day. Granted, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but they got a big stop when they needed it in the 4th quarter. I don't know who needs to hear this but Jamin is ready. Let him loose.

6) Extra points. Yeesh.

7) Hello, DeAndre Carter.  Going into today Washington has only had 26 total kick return touchdowns since their inception. Carter marks #27.  I believe the last one was in 2015 by Rashad Ross... but my memory is slightly hazy there.

8 ) I am just not impressed with the defensive line. The interior guys appear to be playing relatively well. And I didn't see as many "over-effort" mistakes by our ends, so I do believe they played much better this week. But this team needs those guys to do more. But from where they were to today was a much better game and if it takes steps to get them back in the saddle then so be it. But we are four games deep and Chase Young still doesn't have a sack. Having said that: He actually did get an effort sack tonight. He stayed with the play and sacked Ryan, which Ryan then threw the ball and got it picked off and then we got a pretty bad roughing call. 

9) The first touchdown to the wide open receiver: Upon watching the game and not wanting to rewind it 100 times it looked like a cover 3 back end. Corners with deep thirds and the free safety with the deep middle. The free safety bit on the 10ish yard stop route and that opened up the backside post for a wide open touchdown. That's just not something that can happen. Bobby McCain probably wishes he could have that one back. I wish he could, too.

10) Washington overcame another pretty awful third down defensive day. Atlanta converted on 10 of 16 third down attempts. A 62.5% conversion rate. Going into today it was a 58.7% rate from this defense, so it got worse. The offense was 4/9 so, while not great, felt like an improvement. 

11) JD MicKissick is such a good receiving back. That touchdown was 100% pure effort and an example of why these coaches love him so much. If that kick return didn't happen at such a pivotal moment (momentum coming out of the half) I'd have given him a * performance. In past years I've given more than three but I'm trying to keep the list cleaner this year :ols: Make no mistake, though... McKissick is a baller and I'm glad he's a Teamer.

Awards:

*** - Taylor Heinicke

** - Terry McLaurin

* -  DeAndre Carter

:( - Jon Bostic (That missed tackle was brutal)

:( :( - Bobby McCain

:( :( :( - Dustin Hopkins

Season to Date:

* x6 - Terry McLaurin

* x6 - Taylor Heinicke

* x3 - Antonio Gibson 

* x3- William Jackson III

* x2 - Tress Way

* x2 - Logan Thomas

* x1- Jon Allen

* x1 - DeAndre Carter

:( x2 - Bobby McCain

:( x3- Cole Holcomb

:( x3 - Dustin Hopkins

:( x4 - Chase Young

:( x5- Kendall Fuller

:( x7 - Jon Bostic 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Neither team really deserves a full name in the thread title... But Washin earned the first 6 letters today.

The biggest takeaways from watching the game were as follows:

1) Taylor Heinicke, despite being a fringe type starter/top end backup option in the League as a QB due to inconsistency and previous injuries proved that he has more fantastic games than poor ones. Granted, let's be real about him: He threw a few passes that should have been picked off. But they weren't, and Heinicke is finding success not because he's pin point accurate (he's not), not because of his rocket arm (he doesn't have one) but because of his grit, will, determination and giving our playmakers a chance to make plays. 

For what it's worth... I am more comfortable with Taylor Heinicke at quarterback than I have been with any of our previous quarterbacks since Griffin's rookie season. And prior to that... maybe Mark Brunell despite my outright disdain for his constant check downs. 

2) Terry McLaurin. I'm not sure what else needs to be said. Going into today he was #23 all time for the franchise in receiving yards at 2,268 and #27 in receptions at 252.  Add the 6 receptions and 123 yards and he is now at 2,391 yards and 258 receptions. He stays put at #27 in receptions but moves to #22 in franchise receiving yards as he passes Frank Grant for #22.

3) Curtis Samuel is a nice safety valve and our offensive line did a real nice job keeping Heinicke clean today.

4) This team needs a workhorse/bellcow back in the worst way. Gibson is phenomenal. I say that because each and every time I mention the need for a work horse back people think I'm down on Antonio Gibson. I was one of his biggest cheerleaders coming out... along with @Skinsinparadise. You don't need to sell me on Antonio Gibson. He is a monster. The issue is, though, we aren't using him in the best possible way. Having a guy that is capable of carrying the load changes the landscape of the game, and Gibson as a change of pace back getting a similar amount of touches he is now (maybe more if you get him more involved in the passing game) makes him even more dangerous as the other guy wears opposing defenses down. 

5) No one ever wants an injury. Ever. Especially to a guy who is by all accounts a good dude. But as soon as Bostic went down the defense looked the best that it had all day. Granted, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but they got a big stop when they needed it in the 4th quarter. I don't know who needs to hear this but Jamin is ready. Let him loose.

6) Extra points. Yeesh.

7) Hello, DeAndre Carter.  Going into today Washington has only had 26 total kick return touchdowns since their inception. Carter marks #27.  I believe the last one was in 2015 by Rashad Ross... but my memory is slightly hazy there.

8 ) I am just not impressed with the defensive line. The interior guys appear to be playing relatively well. And I didn't see as many "over-effort" mistakes by our ends, so I do believe they played much better this week. But this team needs those guys to do more. But from where they were to today was a much better game and if it takes steps to get them back in the saddle then so be it. But we are four games deep and Chase Young still doesn't have a sack. Having said that: He actually did get an effort sack tonight. He stayed with the play and sacked Ryan, which Ryan then threw the ball and got it picked off and then we got a pretty bad roughing call. 

9) The first touchdown to the wide open receiver: Upon watching the game and not wanting to rewind it 100 times it looked like a cover 3 back end. Corners with deep thirds and the free safety with the deep middle. The free safety bit on the 10ish yard stop route and that opened up the backside post for a wide open touchdown. That's just not something that can happen. Bobby McCain probably wishes he could have that one back. I wish he could, too.

10) Washington overcame another pretty awful third down defensive day. Atlanta converted on 10 of 16 third down attempts. A 62.5% conversion rate. Going into today it was a 58.7% rate from this defense, so it got worse. The offense was 4/9 so, while not great, felt like an improvement. 

Awards:

*** - Taylor Heinicke

** - Terry McLaurin

* -  DeAndre Carter

:( - Jon Bostic (That missed tackle was brutal)

:( :( - Bobby McCain

:( :( :( - Dustin Hopkins

Season to Date:

* x6 - Terry McLaurin

* x6 - Taylor Heinicke

* x3 - Antonio Gibson 

* x3- William Jackson III

* x2 - Tress Way

* x2 - Logan Thomas

* x1- Jon Allen

* x1 - DeAndre Carter

:( x2 - Bobby McCain

:( x3- Cole Holcomb

:( x3 - Dustin Hopkins

:( x4 - Chase Young

:( x5- Kendall Fuller

:( x7 - Jon Bostic 

How has Landon Collins not earned a single sad face from you thus far this season?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I might give McKissic a positive nod for the game. Second time he came up with a huge play that sparked the comeback. I think they overused that dive play or draw after it worked twice. Gibson was churning out so many 6 or 7 yard first down runs. I do think Turner needs to get a better sense of when to give him a breather. He seems to get dinged every game. I think Patterson can handle a few spot carries without letting us down. He's not dynamic, but he is shifty and has great vision.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

On RedZone, top 5 Prime plays: Carter's runback was #4, and McKissic for the TD was #1.  Even my girlfriend from Boston (hardcore Patriots fan) texted me about how awesome that play was. 

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I might give McKissic a positive nod for the game. Second time he came up with a huge play that sparked the comeback. I think they overused that dive play or draw after it worked twice. Gibson was churning out so many 6 or 7 yard first down runs. I do think Turner needs to get a better sense of when to give him a breather. He seems to get dinged every game. I think Patterson can handle a few spot carries without letting us down. He's not dynamic, but he is shifty and has great vision.

I actually thought I mentioned him. Reading back I didn’t. Will edit now. He was good. Again.

I wish Jamin Davis would get more playing time from this being earned through merit, instead of through an injury.  But I'll take whatever I can get.

I don't wish ill of Landon Collins, but he's also being exploited, like Bostic was.  I don't know who will be the Big Nickel if Curl goes to SS.  But it should be a net positive.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I also think we need a ton of :( :( :( 's for whoever is coaching tackling on defense or whoever thought it was a good idea to coat our defenses hands in pig grease! So many broken tackles this game. So many free yards.

I made a post to that effect.  I'm 55 and 4'10"...I don't think they can tackle me. 

• Haha 1

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

I think what you meant was Stephen Hawking would have avoided more tackles today, right?  :rofl89:

(No offense to anyone, btw...)

both directions.

As a linebacker or safety, Stephen Hawking would have been a better tackler than Collins and Bostic was today. As a two-way player, he'd have broken a dozen tackle attempts by Washington's defense.

9 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I wish Jamin Davis would get more playing time from this being earned through merit, instead of through an injury.  But I'll take whatever I can get.

I don't wish ill of Landon Collins, but he's also being exploited, like Bostic was.  I don't know who will be the Big Nickel if Curl goes to SS.  But it should be a net positive.

Hudson or Shaze should be able to play big nickel. Isn’t it similar to Hudson’s viper role from college?

It was a fun win, but it wasn't one I'm going to really feel great about moving forward, as very few of the glaring problems showed any improvement whatsoever. 

That said, if I was a Falcons fan, I would be furious right now at the overly conservative playcalling on their final drive. All they needed was a first down and the game was basically over, and they pretty much ran it into the line two times and then tried a screen. They'd been moving the ball pretty well all day. Total coaching fail on their part. 

• Like 5

For me, this defense is just so different (not in any meaningful or good way) than the one we saw just last season.  This is why I have to lay this at the coaches' feet. I don't know what JDR has done to schematically change last year's defense to what we see this season, but I definitely have to say it isn't working. 

• Like 4

O line felt really strong in both run and pass pro again. Aside from 2 plays where there were major breakdowns (I think one was due to miscommunication after the sheriff injury) they were pretty great. That 4.5 yd avg from Gibby felt real nice too.

Carter continues to justify that roster spot

We stopped Kyle Pitts from getting fed to the point of GI system failure as many expected so... Yay?

McK continuing to prove he is an elite receiving back out of the backfield in this league.

Davis got a trial by fire, which can only speed up his development

Oh, and gotta slap on a few extra frowny faces this week for only giving us 2 Tress Way punt appearances. Gotta find a way to get the ball in your playmakers hands. Poor gameplanning right there. Some of us have jersey purchases to justify.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

McLaurin only got two * while Heiny got 3? I don't think Terry could have done much more than her did. Had to have been the recipient of 70% of Heinys completions.

I wasn’t aware the McLaurin made the play that McKissick did.

McLaurin is the winner of the stars competition the last two seasons and tied for the lead now. I don’t see him not winning it for a third straight year. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I wasn’t aware the McLaurin made the play that McKissick did.

McLaurin is the winner of the stars competition the last two seasons and tied for the lead now. I don’t see him not winning it for a third straight year. 

I truly enjoyed the replay they did that focused on Heinys eyes during that play. How he spent about 5-6 seconds scanning downfield and then glanced at McK as his relief valve. One of my favorite moments of that game

• Like 5