Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Buffalo vs. Landover Junior Varsity

KDawg

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Different outlets have different numbers, but they're also bad for Bostic here.  I'm going to guess it's not including some of the passes in zone coverage?

image.png.293f0cb106b824db2ecd6b5e11dc19e1.png

Edit:  Apparently these haven't updated yet for the 3rd game?

Edited by Alcoholic Zebra

59 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'm gonna keep beating this dead horse.  They are a power-play action offense.  Run the ball, put in some boots and play action and shorten the game.  Keep the other team's offense off the field.  Feed the Gibson!!!

Agreed.

Establish an identity. Just don’t see the run and pass game married at all. Seems like a wide variety of plays randomly called. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Agreed.

Establish an identity. Just don’t see the run and pass game married at all. Seems like a wide variety of plays randomly called. 

You get the sense that they have no plan coming out of the tunnel on both sides of the ball. I believe we’ve given up an open drive TD in all 3 games and has went 3 and out in all 3 games. That’s coaching. 

• Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

You get the sense that they have no plan coming out of the tunnel on both sides of the ball. I believe we’ve given up an open drive TD in all 3 games and has went 3 and out in all 3 games. That’s coaching. 

I don’t like to go too far down this tunnel, due to not having all the information and football acumen. I just don’t quite know what type of football team Ron wants on offense. He doesn’t really communicate this or not in what I’ve seen or read. 

I’m not so much disappointed that Dallas is better (Dak is legit), it’s just that we haven’t improved one bit.

We look unprepared and even more disappointing...uninspired. Our effort has been poor. I don’t get it. But the coaches need to find a spark somewhere. Or we’ll sleepwalk to 4-13.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy

"I think we all expected it to be elite right away," McLaurin told JP Finlay on Tuesday in an interview where he also promoted his newfound status as a member of the famous "Got Milk?" campaign. "If you ask them, they'd probably say that they haven't played to the standard that they would expect from themselves."

Members of Washington's defense as well as members of the coaching staff, of course, have been asked about the defensive output through three games, and no one is too thrilled by what's going on.

Chase Young, for one, believes "something has to change" on the unit, a statement that almost everyone — aside from opposing QBs — no doubt vibes with.

But as talented as McLaurin is, he won't be deployed on that side of the ball anytime soon. However, the pass catcher does feel like he, plus the rest of his offensive brethren, can contribute to the defense's cause.

"You've just got to continue to support those guys," McLaurin said. "We've got to put them in better situations and make sure they're not on the field too many times for too long. We've got to take care of the ball, get first downs, allow our special teams to put their offense in backed-up situations and things like that."

The third-year pro is correct in his assessment. Though Jack Del Rio's charges have to do the bulk of the work when it comes to improving their play, Washington's offensive output versus Buffalo in the franchise's most recent contest was not conducive to effective defending.

Against the Bills, McLaurin and Co. didn't score until their fourth drive, as they continued their unfortunate habit of starting so slowly. The three giveaways and turnover on downs they were responsible for were quite detrimental, too.

So, instead of losing faith in the other half of the locker room, McLaurin is choosing to focus on how he can directly impact things in a positive manner.

"It just starts with an honest evaluation of yourself first, individually, and how you can help your group going forward," he said.

Now, remember that piece at the top of this story about how McLaurin and Washington fans actually have a similar opinion of the defense from Week 1 to Week 3?

Well, that intersection will end with the following comment, considering so many devotees are already prepared for the defense to just continue to melt down, whereas McLaurin, at least, expects a course correction to occur shortly.

"I think they'll turn it around," McLaurin said, "and I'm looking forward to see how they bounce back."

So, not only can the dude run absurdly fast, but he's also fairly patient. Yep, he's quite, quite different than the average Washington Football Team fan.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I started rewatching some of the Bills game, guys were open all over town.  Inside the numbers.   Outside the numbers.  I had to stop but I'll watch some more.   

It's hard to watch. Most plays had at least one receiver open right away. It is crazy because the DB unit on a whole is good. They were out played but really mismanaged by not playing to their strengths. 

20 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It's hard to watch. Most plays had at least one receiver open right away. It is crazy because the DB unit on a whole is good. They were out played but really mismanaged by not playing to their strengths. 

Is it, though?

I think WJ3 is good. I think Juste will be good but isn’t there yet. Is Kendall Fuller a capable slot corner, especially in man? But in either zone or man? I think at this point he actually may be better on the outside. Is Collins good at any coverage/discipline? Do we know much about McCain other than Miami let him go due to blown assignments (according to reports)?

Curl is good and Rivera acknowledges it, but he’s not starting over Collins.

We are playing the wrong players. 

Why? The coaches HAVE to know.

Has to be a locker room thing. There has to be more to it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah some of it was hard to watch.  I don't know obviously who has what assignment but to give an example.  St Juste was on a guy right in front of the goal line.  He lets the dude go presumably because he took on another assignment underneath.  That let the WR go free to the corner of the end zone totally open.  I presume St. Juste thought that safety was right in place behind him but he wasn't.  Curl was too many feet away from that corner of the end zone, once he noticed Buffalo's receiver was all alone in the corner of the end zone he tried to hurry as much as he could to get there but he had no chance -- end result TD.  Who was that on?  I am not sure.  But I keep hearing about players doubling up on the same assignment, leaving a WR free among other things. 

I listened to Baldinger this morning who studied the game.  His take is he sees Del Rio trying new things to fix things.  But he thinks they need to do more.  He puts a lot on the D line suggesting that their play can help the back end.  He hits them hard for also not playing hard to the ball and not creating turnovers.   He's a big Chase guy, he thinks he has elite talent but needs to vary his moves more which is a transition that's not uncommon for young edge rushers. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Is it, though?

I think WJ3 is good. I think Juste will be good but isn’t there yet. Is Kendall Fuller a capable slot corner, especially in man? But in either zone or man? I think at this point he actually may be better on the outside. Is Collins good at any coverage/discipline? Do we know much about McCain other than Miami let him go due to blown assignments (according to reports)?

Curl is good and Rivera acknowledges it, but he’s not starting over Collins.

We are playing the wrong players. 

Why? The coaches HAVE to know.

Has to be a locker room thing. There has to be more to it.

Curl got 62 snaps, McCain 55, and Collins 46.

It's slowly shifting in the direction we think it should. 

• Like 1