Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

We're banking big time on young guys taking a significant step up in their production. Maybe we hit the jackpot like the Seahawks did going from 2011 to 2012 when the Legion of Boom was basically built overnight by the rapid development of their youngsters in the secondary who were all mid to late round picks, but that's not something you can rely on.

I do like Juste a lot though, but those concussions...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

That’s pretty much the sense I get as well.  JSW getting the majority of snaps, Toney with situational snaps, and Toohill as the primary backup/rotational guy.  Of course I have no idea what to expect from Obada.

On the defense in general, I have no idea what to expect.  One small, but potentially underrated facet is the idea that we have three very athletic players (with very good to elite RAS scores) in the back 7 that have reportedly made a significant jump in their 2nd years.  Who knows if they pan out, but the higher ceiling is at least far preferable (IMO) to the physically limited guys of the past.  Factor in Butler and Holmes (2 more high RAS guys) and I’d say there’s some longer term potential with this group.

I just want them to be "ok."  Not spectacular.  Not elite.  Just "ok."  

Last year, for the first 5-6 games they were BAD BAD BAD. Stunk like the south end of a north bond skunk.  

Then they were somewhere between "Ok" and "Good" for the next 5-6 games.  

Then COVID and injuries hit and the wheels fell off.

I want them to be what they were in the GB, Denver and 4 game winning streak.  They were "good enough" to win if the offense takes the step forward they are supposed to take.

In today's NFL, you win with offense.  You just need the defense not to be a train wreck.  

As a caveat, this is why I think the Eagles might have put all of their eggs in the wrong basket.  They have vastly improved their defense on paper.  But it won't really matter against a good offense, they will still give up 21-30 points.  Because good offense beats good defense.  I'm sure they will stifle some bad offenses.  But they are going to have to score with good offenses, and that's the question: does adding Brown and running everything else back really elevate them offensively?  I don't know. But we're about to find out.  

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We're banking big time on young guys taking a significant step up in their production. Maybe we hit the jackpot like the Seahawks did going from 2011 to 2012 when the Legion of Boom was basically built overnight by the rapid development of their youngsters in the secondary who were all mid to late round picks, but that's not something you can rely on.

I do like Juste a lot though, but those concussions...

Do you remember what people said about the Seahawks 2012 class?

https://www.mattmcgee.com/what-nfl-experts-said-about-the-seahawks-2012-draft/

It's pretty hysterical in hindsight.  

"Donald Wood of the Bleacher Report gave Seattle an “F” grade. Drafting Wilson was “by far the worst move of the draft.” Drafting Wilson and Irvin were “the two worst moves of the draft.”

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like having 3 safeties that can come up and excel in the box. Gives us a lot of flexibility and speed, as opposed to having 3 LBers.

It all depends if the 3rd safety can REALLY play the run.  What you don't want is to be gashed on runs from 12 personnel if you keep with the 3 safety look.  The last safety has to be able to match and take on a TE in the run game.  

Otherwise, you have to go to 3 LBs when a team goes to 12 personnel.  

With 11 personnel, you are EXPECTED to stop the run with 3 safeties on the field.  However, you also need the safety to be able to cover a bit like a nickel corner because they will get matched up on a WR at times.

It's all a chess-match.  Which is why having that guy who can be stout against the run but not a complete liability against the pass is so valuable.  And it could be either a LB or a safety, doesn't really matter.  

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It all depends if the 3rd safety can REALLY play the run.  What you don't want is to be gashed on runs from 12 personnel if you keep with the 3 safety look.  The last safety has to be able to match and take on a TE in the run game.  

Otherwise, you have to go to 3 LBs when a team goes to 12 personnel.  

With 11 personnel, you are EXPECTED to stop the run with 3 safeties on the field.  However, you also need the safety to be able to cover a bit like a nickel corner because they will get matched up on a WR at times.

It's all a chess-match.  Which is why having that guy who can be stout against the run but not a complete liability against the pass is so valuable.  And it could be either a LB or a safety, doesn't really matter.  

Did you read the Bullock article I wa talking about?

On 8/22/2022 at 1:41 PM, Warhead36 said:

But we aren't a good blitzing team. Our guys are always so slow and predictable. We're honestly probably better off just dropping seven in coverage.

Its almost painful to watch. 

Our entire front is static. I rarely see stunts working and doubt we try much. Blitzing 1. Blitzing 1 delayed.  Only blitz that 1 guy after they get inside the RZ. Not faking blitzes to cause timeouts and chaos. Rushing in static lanes expecting 4 to beat 5.

I am stunned JDR did a corner blitz. Sure he got burned but probably would have if we dropped 7. So coaches never show what they will do in the regular season so I will be watching for that. Wont hold my breath for another Shawn Springs getting home type of year. St Justy maybe.

The problem dropping 7/8 is that we somehow always still have a gaping hole in the center of the field a disturbing amount of times.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

I was trying to figure out why they would think they could win with no changes in D talent or scheme.

Only thing I could come up with is if they flip the turnover ratio, and score the D can stay the same. They'd still win more games with a +2 vs -6 just by switching QB and getting AG to hold onto the ball. Defense could benefit from playing with a lead. So, the offense could help change the defense.

Edited by TheShredder

On 9/4/2022 at 4:16 AM, RandyHolt said:

Our entire front is static. I rarely see stunts working and doubt we try much. Blitzing 1. Blitzing 1 delayed.  Only blitz that 1 guy after they get inside the RZ. Not faking blitzes to cause timeouts and chaos. Rushing in static lanes expecting 4 to beat 5.

They know.
That's why they replaced the DL coach and had Warren Sapp consulting. They need to find another gear. They've been working on something.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:11 AM, Koolblue13 said:

They said hes fine and wont miss time. It's a thumb issue.

He broke his thumb vs KC and had surgery to pin it...he's far from fine.

Thumbs are hard to break but when they do, they break at the base 80% of the time.

Mechanism is a jam type hit and it breaks at the base. He won't be playing without a clubbed hand for many weeks.

Forget about him catching a pass or recovering a fumble, which is his job!

Has anyone heard anything about the 2 new backup corners Castro and Wildgoose since being claimed? Have they picking up the defense?

I would think we would dress 5 corners with Kam being questionable with the other 4 safeties also dressing. I would think Castro probably plays this Sunday at least on special teams. 

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

David Mayo is a starting lb for this team, is he any good?

Mayo is not starting. We will go with 2 linebackers (Holcomb and Jamin) with a buffalo nickel replacing the other outside linebacker. 

Mayo is a veteran and somewhat reliable but I’m a bit biased and think he stinks. There’s a reason we resigned Jon Bostic last week. 

On 9/2/2022 at 11:39 AM, Koolblue13 said:

I like having 3 safeties that can come up and excel in the box. Gives us a lot of flexibility and speed, as opposed to having 3 LBers.

Its the future of the nfl. Two more traditional lbers and a heavy safety as the third lber. 

Unless you have a freak of nature at lber AND safety then you can run a 4-3 base.

14 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Its the future of the nfl. Two more traditional lbers and a heavy safety as the third lber. 

Unless you have a freak of nature at lber AND safety then you can run a 4-3 base.

This is already outdated— drop the 2nd backer and bring in a 4th safety or cover guy. 

We all saw how Forrest played a heck of a game. He showed me yesterday besides being able to hit (the fumble by Etinenne was awesome) that he can cover (pass break up in the end zone). 

This guy is our natural buffalo nickel with Curl and McCain at safety. I think our defense will improve with him at that position. 

11 hours ago, dyst said:

We need a guy like Micah Parsons on that line, just relentless

Too bad the Cowgirls season is over!

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1