Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Question:  Do you think St. Juste will work out as a CB answer for Washington?  He seems concussion-prone, and not aggressive enough to be a ball-hawk like Diggs. Also, it looked like he was more about minimizing YAC, and tipping the ball away, or was that just him learning the ropes as a rookie?  I like him, but does WFT need to look for another CB, in case St. Juste doesn't work out?

38 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Questions I never thought I 'd ask... Today, would you trade Jack Del Rio for Joe Barry?

Personally I wouldn't want to be in a position to have to deal with either of them.

There are so few OCs, DCs and assistants that actually "teach" techniques and schemes in a detailed format; they end up with the benefit of getting good players who are talented.

McCarthy is a perfect example; everyone was on his scrotum about him being a great coach who knew what to do. yea, i'd bet there are more than a few fans who would prefer him leave and never come back.

The Gibbs, Belichicks, Parcells of past days are so few and far between; also the mental aspect of getting a group of players to run through a wall for you as the mentioned were able to accomplish are almost impossible to find. Barry was a worthless sack and DelTaco could never maintain a good defense for more than a single season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Personally I wouldn't want to be in a position to have to deal with either of them.

There are so few OCs, DCs and assistants that actually "teach" techniques and schemes in a detailed format; they end up with the benefit of getting good players who are talented.

McCarthy is a perfect example; everyone was on his scrotum about him being a great coach who knew what to do. yea, i'd bet there are more than a few fans who would prefer him leave and never come back.

The Gibbs, Belichicks, Parcells of past days are so few and far between; also the mental aspect of getting a group of players to run through a wall for you as the mentioned were able to accomplish are almost impossible to find. Barry was a worthless sack and DelTaco could never maintain a good defense for more than a single season.

Why do you call him DelTaco if you don't like him? DelTaco is delicious.

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The Rams DL was destructive. A thing of beauty against Brady. Ours is nowhere near in comparison. Needs to step it up a gear.

They got Donald, Miller, and Floyd. We don't have pass rushers close to that level, except maybe Jon Allen.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's been up and down.  Took awhile for the team to start figuring out how to pass off assignments and who to look for that might be passed off to them.  I suspect that also happened last season, but we didn't realize it due to a light schedule.  I do remember we gave up a bunch of deep shots in 2020.  2021 looked better as the season went on, but still a general view of underperforming.

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

I mean I agree… but I’m not following the tweet, tredavious white is a CB.

Meaning: Even without a top corner in the league (White injured), there wasn't a massive drop-off in team performance.

The implication here is that it is because of great safety play.

And I agree. 

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

He's been up and down.  Took awhile for the team to start figuring out how to pass off assignments and who to look for that might be passed off to them.  I suspect that also happened last season, but we didn't realize it due to a light schedule.  I do remember we gave up a bunch of deep shots in 2020.  2021 looked better as the season went on, but still a general view of underperforming.

Yeah, I see this as great experience for him (interviewing) and might even be the idea. Gives him some prep for next year. 

If William Jackson plays like a CB1 and they keep McCain around, I can see the D playing a lot better next year. They need to have a stronger year as a unit for him to be a frontrunner. 

The NFL coaching world is small and he is a name to watch in a couple of years. Would be really nice for him to take over here, but probably a Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay situation when Gruden was here. 

TL;DR The D being so awful this year has some upsides. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Meaning: Even without a top corner in the league (White injured), there wasn't a massive drop-off in team performance.

The implication here is that it is because of great safety play.

And I agree. 

Much appreciated.

it also helps that from weeks 13-19 they only played one legit qb, Tom Brady. everything else was Pats 2x, Jets 2x, panthers, and falcons.

not to argue dispute something that’s beside the point that we agree on, but the stat disparity would likely be greater if the schedule wasn’t that soft.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 months later...

Thought the Payne talk could go here.  

They have to trade him at this point, right?  Last year the d-line underachieved massively and their were reports that assignments weren’t followed.  If Payne is back, heading for FA, can we expect him to manage his part or will he do his own thing to pad his stats?  I wouldn’t blame him, not intending to knock him.  

Letting Settle walk seems like a big miscalculation right now.  I always thought he would leave, but I also thought he’d get a larger contract.  Settle always seemed to flash, but he got very little snaps. Bunmi Rotimi almost had as many snaps.  Perhaps the staff doesn’t believe that Settle can handle the workload that Payne did.  Payne was a warrior for us.  

There are a handful of DTs on the street.  Some names out there, but they could be washed up.  

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

With so much $ likely  tied up in the Dline in the future it makes sense to get cheaper. They tried to sign Payne long term but he balked; I think he wants big money.

If I can get a 3rd or multiple mid rounds picks I’m trading him. 

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Thought the Payne talk could go here.  

They have to trade him at this point, right?  Last year the d-line underachieved massively and their were reports that assignments weren’t followed.  If Payne is back, heading for FA, can we expect him to manage his part or will he do his own thing to pad his stats?  I wouldn’t blame him, not intending to knock him.  

Letting Settle walk seems like a big miscalculation right now.  I always thought he would leave, but I also thought he’d get a larger contract.  Settle always seemed to flash, but he got very little snaps. Bunmi Rotimi almost had as many snaps.  Perhaps the staff doesn’t believe that Settle can handle the workload that Payne did.  Payne was a warrior for us.  

There are a handful of DTs on the street.  Some names out there, but they could be washed up.  

Settle isn't good. Letting him walk was fine, but we are definitely letting our strength implode. Payne has no trade value. I think he's about t have a monster year personally.

Payne is getting a decent salary on his option year, but part of me thinks he holds out for a new deal before the season. No doubt he wants a Jon Allen type deal. 

We’ve clearly looked at DL pre draft and I think we’d get a solid replacement day 2. But without getting more picks by either trading back....or trading Payne...that plan isn’t possible. 

We also aren’t paying all 4 DL first rounders. However, maybe the safest bet is to keep them all this year and go from there. Safe likely means we lose Payne win no return, which again is poor roster and asset management. Bit late to trade him now though prior to this draft isn’t it ?

I’ll be pissed if we botch this again then end up with Allen and Star L as starting tackles.

• Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Settle isn't good. Letting him walk was fine, but we are definitely letting our strength implode. Payne has no trade value. I think he's about t have a monster year personally.

Yeah, I know the media and most fans tout our D line as our strength, and I guess it is.

But...honestly, how strong is that strength really?  I mean, they've underperformed to date.  Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see our D line as anything for our opponents to really fear.  So, consequently, to see a few members leave (who will be replaced) that never did much anyway, just doesn't make me worry too much. 

Edited by Redwards

16 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Doesn't matter if Settle and Ion are starters elsewhere. They weren't going to be here and their cost was greater than their contribution. Every dollar that goes to DT depth cannot go to frontline WR. That's basic math in a salary cap league.

We'll see if Mathis cost is greater than his contribution.  My bet is not only is his contribution greater than his cost... but also greater than both of the players he replaced. 

He'd have to be an all pro to be better then two starting caliber DTs, how good does he have to be to be better then three combined?

My biggest problem isn't the concept of limited cap space, it's this insistence that one starting caliber DT is better then three, on top of Mathis nit even playing an NFL snap yet.

Payne is gone at this rate, so yea, unless we add another DT, we are talking about a rookie replacing three starting caliber DT.  Stop insisting this is much ado about nothing and anyone uncomfortable with the turn of events at DT for our team this offseason is a cynic or jus doesn't understand how the salary cap works.

If he turns into a quality starter opposite Allen and allows us with still solid starters along the dline, which is entirely possibly, then we can talk about the actual lack of drop-off, because right now it's looking to be huge until proven otherwise and setting up to be very noticeable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to Logan Paulson.  He loves Mathis, says he’ll make Holcomb and Davis much better by keeping them clean.  I struggle to see how the alignments will work.  He talked about playing five man fronts with Mathis at the nose.  When they do that, what does the back look like? 2LB, 2S, 2CBs?  Does the back half play zones in those situations?

Rivera has talked about Butler playing in nickel packages.  What situations call for three safeties versus three corners?  In other words, what do you gain by having two corners and McCain, Curl, and Butler versus Jackson Fuller, St Juste, Curl, McCain/Butler?