Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I just love all of our players' personalities.

Rivera and Co, just do an awesome job of researching and picking players who are high character, quality-personality guys.

And of course, that's a great thing, both on and off the field.

We are halfway through year two of a total rebuild in the strictest sense of the words. When I remember to view it through that truthful lens I am happy where we are.

Things got a little out of control with the hype, but I'm happy where we are, wish Sweat and Chase could come back this season, but thats for next year now. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

We are halfway through year two of a total rebuild in the strictest sense of the words. When I remember to view it through that truthful lens I am happy where we are.

And to think, Year 1 of strictest total rebuild, we make the playoffs using 4 QB's, winning the division, and 8 points away from upsetting the GOAT and future world champions, with a castaway QB making his first start for us, and he and us looked better against them, than the 3 future HOFers he would face in the playoffs after us.

And Year 2 of rebuild, all indications are that things are starting to gel in all phases of the game, and we're putting together a streak that just might land us in the playoffs yet again.

Year 3 is looking enticing after all that.

And it should be interesting to see which direction Tress Way goes after retirement. I could envision him in almost any kind of media or coaching job.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

His power is amazing.  Incredibly good and heavy hands, and he is very creative.  That was a clinic he put on the left side of that Giants line.  Beat them every way you can beat somebody.  Power, quickness, jumping on openings when the OLs stood up and got confused.

He's become my favorite player on the team to watch and pull for.  I am so glad we got his contract extended.

More important to keep Allen and Payne than the two DE's IMO.

• Thumb up 1

Really liking the move to make Collins a LB, he's now making that contract look much better. 

Loving Shaka Toney and his pursuit/speed....good job getting him coached up and contributing.

Kam Curl is our 1st pro bowl safety and best safety we've had since The Predator. 

Ion is a beast who we need to keep at all costs....he's Dave Butz Jr. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Shaka Toney. He plays like that week in, we won't miss Chase for long...

Shaka Toney and JSW, both 7th Rounders making impacts on the EDGE, and both either a rookie, or 2nd year player.

Great scouting, and great player development.

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Kam Curl is our 1st pro bowl safety and best safety we've had since The Predator. 

He had a rough game, first with the dropped easy INT, and then the costly DPI (as controversial as it was)

But as we've seen, week after week, other players stepped up when we needed it.

And I'm sure Curl will bounce back...just like curls always do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All this team really needs is a rangy Free Safety with some height and speed.  That's the only glaring weakness that I can see.  Lockett blew by McCain and Everett had a huge brain cramp for the last TD.  

How's BSJ?  Still in concussion protocol?  With his ball skills and height it would really be interesting to see him back at Free Safety.  Maybe he wouldn't get hurt so much.  He isn't very thick so Free Safety seems like a better fit for him.  The biggest issue would be making the calls for the DBs.  

41 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

All this team really needs is a rangy Free Safety with some height and speed.  That's the only glaring weakness that I can see.  Lockett blew by McCain and Everett had a huge brain cramp for the last TD.  

How's BSJ?  Still in concussion protocol?  With his ball skills and height it would really be interesting to see him back at Free Safety.  Maybe he wouldn't get hurt so much.  He isn't very thick so Free Safety seems like a better fit for him.  The biggest issue would be making the calls for the DBs.  

He just missed the Tampa game, but he’s only had ST snaps these past two weeks.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

He's a press man corner with more quickness than closing speed, I think they are way better off bringing back Reaves and drafting a FS next year. I doubt either of those things is gonna happen, though.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 3

Just now, SpacePenguin said:

He's a press man corner with more quickness than closing speed, I think they are way better off bringing back Reaves and drafting a FS next year.

Yeah, probably so.  Forrest must be way behind mentally.  I haven't even checked on Free Safeties coming out of college.  Anyone know who the top 5 are?

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Shaka Toney and JSW, both 7th Rounders making impacts on the EDGE, and both either a rookie, or 2nd year player.

Great scouting, and great player development.

He had a rough game, first with the dropped easy INT, and then the costly DPI (as controversial as it was)

But as we've seen, week after week, other players stepped up when we needed it.

And I'm sure Curl will bounce back...just like curls always do.

He just seems to be all over the field, including getting a sack on a blitz. Curl is an elite safety in my eyes. 

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Both this year and last our defense started coming together with a Collins move. Last year he went to IR, this year to LB. Is he gonna be a DT next?

Kicker

What our two backup DEs are showing is that, with how dominant Allen/Payne have been, you don't necessarily need superstar DEs. You just need some twitchy athletes who can take bend and take advantage of QBs who will often be backed up but also play within the scheme instead of chasing highlights.

Curl is the prototype of a modern day SS. He's not a downfield cover guy(as evidenced by the PI he committed, he's just not comfortable running stride for stride with receivers downfield)but he's outstanding in the short/intermediate zone both man and zone. He's also really physical and is great against the run. I think Pro Bowls could be in his future. Probably our best value draft pick since Alfred Morris in the 6th in 2012.

And Holcomb looks like he's hitting that year 3 breakout. I disagreed with him being a core guy but now I might have to change my tune. He's a really natural strongside LB. Even that first Wilson TD, Holcomb's coverage was great, it was just a perfect throw. Against almost any other QB that might be a pick. And he had that fantastic disruption on that 3rd and 1, didn't make the tackle but he blew up the play enough to allow Jackson to make an easy tackle.

Defense isn't about having a couple great individual players, its about having a unit that can play together. Look at the Rams struggles, they have two mega stars in Donald and Ramsey but they've fallen off hard because they don't have the depth or complimentary pieces. I think we're finally getting a unit playing together now. Now if only our "record breaking starting DEs" can buy in...

• Like 4

There have been some people screaming for them to play more man.   Earlier in the season pre-William Jackson injury if I recall they jumped from being ranked 31st or so last year as for the percentage of play in man coverage to 13th this season.  So they were playing more man than usual.

Apparently one big switch in the last three games from what I've read-said is they've gone back to heavy zone coverage.    So they are back to more 2020 style. 

As Logan Paulsen said before, the reason why teams play more zone than man is if you play man against the top receivers in the league, you better be really really good otherwise you will get smoked by big play after big play.

Keenan Allen bragged on twitter that he told Chase Young towards the end of the game that if they play him man, game over.  They indeed played man.  And he made that big play.

Peyton Manning in the MNF broadcast he does with Eli joked about you can't play man against Brady and survive it and then referred to how WFT smartly played zone against Brady on every play but just one play and on that play it ended up in a TD.

My point is I don't have a strong opinion on man versus zone coverage.  But its not hard to notice that most defenses play more zone than man and I doubt they do it for no good reason, it could certain help mitigate big plays if its handled well. 

On 11/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, ThomasRoane said:

Yep, I've been saying the same since early this season.  It was actually evident last season too.  I hear they like Holcomb better playing outside LB.  I think Jamin is more of a weakside LB.  So my point is I also think they need a London Fletcher style Mike. 

You add a MLB and FS and I think the defense ends up top 10, maybe even top 5, the way most of us expected this season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Whatever defense we play Sunday - don't wanna see any of this crap!  LOL

See, this is the classic Young/Sweat move from earlier this season.  Super wide rushes to try and beat the blocker, unable to turn and angle hard back to the QB, which leaves soooo much room for the QB to maneuver to drop a dime to wherever he wants.  If the pocket is muddied, he probably doesn't throw a perfect dart right to Jackson in stride against decent coverage.  The CB is on Jackson's back hip, if it's not a well placed throw, the CB can probably interfere with the catch.  It's not bad coverage.

Same play, broadcast angle.  It's the first play in the video:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/derek-carr-s-best-plays-on-thanksgiving-week-12

They can't both be out of a rush lane.  We see it there, and we've seen it against us too many times.

• Like 2