Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

I think this game is going to be decided by our LBers as far as the defense goes. Allen and Payne will have the center locked down. 

Davis getting off blocks

Collins not freelancing and being patient in his attack

Holcomb identifying screens

Could be a big game for Curl, too, since we will probably blitz a lot.

17 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Man, this team has struggled the last two weeks without our preseason “Sack-Brothers” tandem….

9539DDDF-38F8-46F1-8128-E58C4E5675F3.jpeg

Rivera has said in multiple press conferences that some players need to stop trying to make splash plays and just do their job. It’s painfully obvious it was about these two. Not sure what it means moving forward.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Game came down to Allen, Payne, Holcomb and Curl stepping up huge. 4 of the key guys to build around. 

Davis has the look of a centrepiece once he gets comfortable. Reminds me of Holcomb's 1st year. Clearly flashes. 

Secondary didn't play great but they didn't have to. 

This defense has played better with Smith-Williams and Toohill on the edges, go figure. 

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Davis has the look of a centrepiece once he gets comfortable. Reminds me of Holcomb's 1st year. Clearly flashes. 

Secondary didn't play great but they didn't have to. 

This defense has played better with Smith-Williams and Toohill on the edges, go figure. 

Davis is still really slow reacting to plays. He needs more experience. The truth is he really should not have been a 1st round pick. Has the look and feel of a 2nd or 3rd rounder to me.

I'm gonna pretend we took Cosmi in the 1st and Davis in the 2nd.

For the first time K I felt like Davis was in the right place more often tham not during this game from what I saw. Flashed speed and tackling atrength. Obviously I'm sure I missed bad plays by him but oh well

Kam Curl made a statement today and should be a defensive captain. He plays like a ten year vet. 

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Just like we drafted Mclaurin in the first and Haskins in the 3rd right? Sometimes thats how it works out! 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

Rivera has said in multiple press conferences that some players need to stop trying to make splash plays and just do their job. It’s painfully obvious it was about these two. Not sure what it means moving forward.

It means we probably don’t resign both of them. Maybe just one of them. 

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm watching the Raiders right now and man Moehrig is a player. He was also one of my preferred targets in the past draft, after Parsons he was the guy I wanted most on defense. Imagine a Moehrig/Curl safety tandem for the next decade.

I was banging that table pretty hard. Once QB was out, it was Moehrig as my first choice and Harris second. I had hoped we'd move up for him. 

• Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dallas getting wrecked by injuries and COVID. They could easily lose Thanksgiving to the Raiders. They won't have Lamb or Cooper and I think Tyron Smith is out too.

17 game season. Could come down to depth...

Yeah, if WFT didn't have great depth at OL, could easily imagine two losses the last couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Davis is still really slow reacting to plays. He needs more experience. The truth is he really should not have been a 1st round pick. Has the look and feel of a 2nd or 3rd rounder to me.

Davis is starting to get more play recognition and moving faster earlier. Kind of like Edmunds for Buffalo. Clearly wasn't ready when looking at college tape, but the flashes combined with the athleticism is worth the redshirt year. 

If David hits another gear through the second half - like Young did last year - all will make sense in revisionist histories. 

Cosmi is basically a 1st rounder to me. A double 1st round year. Strange that he didn't go higher, and he's about as raw as Davis. They've had great guard play and a successful scheme. He's been saved by his athleticism. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

JDR is on a roll. I’m really impressed how he was able to pull the defense out of the garbage can. 

Same as last year really.  Now, next year let's hope they start off getting the best 11 on the field rather than starting players based on their contract or draft status.  

Just think of how many times Collins was burned in coverage for easy TDs.  Kam Curl should have never been off the field on Defense.  He's a difference maker.  

The backup DE's are doing a really good job of maintaining discipline with their lanes.  We're not seeing as many QBs escape.  

Davis is a little slow but I think it's because he's still thinking.  Hopefully, the light will click and he can start turning it loose. 

3 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

The ends the past 2 weeks haven’t had a “wow” presence, but they apply just enough pressure to make the QB feel it while keeping the QB in the pocket. Their run defense has been better as well. 

One can only hope Sweat and Young  watch this and learn. The sooner Chase in particular recognizes that he’s really not a star, the better a player he will become. 

Watching Parsons today really highlighted for me how Chase is not the talent we thought he was coming out of college. People make excuse after excuse for him but I’m watching Parsons get around tackles with a way smaller turning radius, not getting pushed 5 yards past the QB.  No swim moves or the like, just pure quickness, 

strength, and balance.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1