Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): The Team vs. Chargers

KDawg

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Any time they blitz they have to be in one gap. The way it looks is that we two gap when we aren’t bringing heat. Which is way too often for my taste.

I'll look at it.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  When you start charting it gives a window to the defense.  but I don't pay enough attention to notice it on the fly.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll look at it.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  When you start charting it gives a window to the defense.  but I don't pay enough attention to notice it on the fly.

I’d take the time but most of my film time is to help my team get better… and rewatching bad WFT games isn’t high on the ol priority list :ols:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

Coaching staff made me sick today. They were taken to the woodshed. Rivera is an absolutely wonderful person but he is a very mediocre football coach and unfortunately, his choice of coordinators leaves so much to be desired. 

Rivera is a good leader of men and culture setter, but he doesn't have the Xs and Os chops of a McVay or Bellicheck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

A 3-tech wouldn’t typically be 2-gapping. It’s usually the nose/2i and an end. You generally want the 3-tech getting up field. 

Having said that… I’d have to actually watch a lot more to determine if we’re actually doing it. But the announcers got that from somewhere. They sit in on interviews with these guys. 

If you google Del Rio he's played 2 gap some in previous stints, so that might have driven it.  I just recall hearing him talk about the defense when he arrived and he harped on letting his tackles loose unlike the previous regimes.  So it didn't feel to me like a heavy 2 gap system based on his rhetoric.  Plus PFF harped this off season about how disruptive Allen was a pass rusher.   Then you got Bullock who typically studies this stuff a lot.

But I haven't studied Del Rio yet.  I will though.  I am interested.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’d take the time but most of my film time is to help my team get better… and rewatching bad WFT games isn’t high on the ol priority list :ols:

Yeah lol my business is realy cyclical.  Last year was crazy busy for me so I didn't have the time to do stuff like this.  I don't have much time this year either until after October but then I'll have some time to burn.  And if I had to pick a favorite thing to look at its the D line.     

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But you don’t need the X and O pedigree if you hire excellent coaches.

You're right. Gibbs II didn't have it anymore Xs and Os wise, but hired excellent assistants in Al Saunders and Gregg Williams.

I think Del Rio is a fine D Coord. I don't think he's anything special though, like Staley was for the Rams last year or Saleh for the 49ers etc. He might be a dinosaur at this point though. I don't think he'll ever innovate anything.

Turner...I honestly don't know. There are things I like about him, but the overall product has been...subpar to say the least.  But how much of that is due to significant lack of talent at key spots? The offense does look to have better flow in the limited time we've seen Heinecke(both today and the bits he played last year).

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

You're right. Gibbs II didn't have it anymore Xs and Os wise, but hired excellent assistants in Al Saunders and Gregg Williams.

I think Del Rio is a fine D Coord. I don't think he's anything special though, like Staley was for the Rams last year or Saleh for the 49ers etc. He might be a dinosaur at this point though. I don't think he'll ever innovate anything.

Turner...I honestly don't know. There are things I like about him, but the overall product has been...subpar to say the least.  But how much of that is due to significant lack of talent at key spots? The offense does look to have better flow in the limited time we've seen Heinecke(both today and the bits he played last year).

I like that Turner will adjust his gameplan to try to attack an opponents' strengths. However, I am not impressed by the actual scheming

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Having said that… I’d have to actually watch a lot more to determine if we’re actually doing it. But the announcers got that from somewhere. They sit in on interviews with these guys. 

Apparently they get to watch practices too.  It's actually quite a bit of due diligence and they get to where they really understand what the teams are trying to do.

I just don't get why we would run a two gap heavy system.  That would be such a huge waste of the best part of our team.

1 minute ago, SAli457180 said:

I get they want Gibson as the feature back, but I only saw Patterson on one run and McKissic was not in the game at all.  There should've been touches for other RBs as well.

McKissic got in the game on some 3rd down passing downs but never got the ball.

I'd like fewer carries for Gibson but more pass attempts. Use him in more of a Kamara style role.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Man, I’m just so disappointed in the DL. They cannot have games like this against good QBs. They’ll lose every single time. 

Their last 2 games... watching Brady last year not even get blown on in the pocket was so frustrating.  More of the same today.  What's the point of four 1st rounders?  Even without sacks it's supposed to affect the offense and help the secondary.  The opposite happened.  That is 100% scheme and something has to change now. 

Aside from the sick catch by Terry from Heinicke and 1 catch by Simms I didn't the team stretching the field.  Was there a game for this?  I believe some of the Chargers DBs did go down and they didn't go after the backups.  Gameplan was vanilla and the Chargers knew if they could get them in 3rd and long, this team wasn't going to be much of a threat to go downfield. 

Listening to Keim's podcast tonight.  Keim isn't an alarmist type.  So I found it weird when he talked before the game that the practices he watched this week lacked the intensity of camp and he had some concern about it leading into this one.  Tonight, Bram is saying the same thing but in his case with hindsight which is he didn't like what he saw and the vibe leading up to this game.

If so, and they didn't have fire leading up to this game then maybe oddly it might be a good sign for this next game.  In short maybe they needed a fast wake up call to start playing angry.  Between the loss and the Giants sweeping them against last year, you'd figure they will play fired up on Thursday.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Rivera is a good leader of men and culture setter, but he doesn't have the Xs and Os chops of a McVay or Bellicheck.

Which is fine if you hire good coordinators who have those chops.  

You'd think we have that in JDR.  At times last year, I thought we had that with Scott Turner.  But today was a giant, enormous, ridiculously sized turd.   So we'll see. 

No coaches tape yet, just highlights, so hard for me to see what techniques they are playing and couldn't see enough plays to call a pattern.  

A guess based on what I saw from a small sample.  Mix of 1 gap and 2.  2 gap on plays where they expected a run.  more 1 gap on passes.  They moved around Payne in some ways that I don't typically recall seeing. Payne is often on the left.  They had him play some on the right, even had him play edge on a play on the right, though maybe that was just a stunt and missed that part of it. 

One one play, talk about max protect, everyone was doubled except Sweat, that's the bottom clip.   Again, small sample but they seem to especially focus on doubling Allen.  Chase didn't have hs best game but rewatching some highlights I'll give him he played with a lot of energy, he was certainly trying hard, that wasn't hard to see. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 10.25.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 10.26.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 10.35.38 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise