Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Just now, Borgold said:

Releasing Simms is probably the right move. That drop was probably the final straw and others seemed to have moved ahead of him in the return game. I still feel a little sad though.  He was a great undrafted rookie story and really flashed that year. Sad, he not only couldn't take that next step forward, but fell backwards.

Definitely not part of the collective.

He wasn't any good.  That he was able to cling to the roster as long as he did on the strength of a 300 yard rookie season is an utter indictment of our roster quality at his position.

We're all hopeful that McLaurin makes the leap to stardom and that Samuel is an ascending player who has his best years here, that Humphries is the Bucs version of himself and not the Titans version, and that Brown is a gem, but we're not out of the woods at the WR position yet.

• Like 6

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

He wasn't any good.  That he was able to cling to the roster as long as he did on the strength of a 300 yard rookie season is an utter indictment of our roster quality at his position.

We're all hopeful that McLaurin makes the leap to stardom and that Samuel is an ascending player who has his best years here, that Humphries is the Bucs version of himself and not the Titans version, and that Brown is a gem, but we're not out of the woods at the WR position yet.

Stevemcqueen comes to bury Caesar not praise him. :silly:

• Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If Samuel is healthy and Humphries looks like he did in camp and ditto Dyami I think we will be out of the woods.  Granted it has to play out like that but I think there is a decent chance it will.   Should be fun to watch.  Potentially this is the best WR corp we've had since the Garcon-D. Jax-Crowder days. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he might actually be the fourth receiver, ahead of Dyami.  First sub into the game.  I don't see what they see in him, but I think he must be great in the locker room and meeting rooms.

They're not going to go so unproven at the position, but I would honestly consider cutting Carter and Sims to keep AGG and Milne and promote Dyami to being the top reserve in all situations and have Milne return punts.  I just think that the three young receivers have so much more upside than Sims and Carter and wouldn't put off their development another year to go with safer vet options.  But I also don't have the pressure to not let the locker room fall apart on me.

Barber is a necessary evil to an extent.  I wish we had a better power back but we don't and won't get one before next off-season IMO.  Hopefully Gibson improves in short yardage situations and demonstrates the ability to handle a big workload so we don't have to rely on Barber too much.

So again, hopefully Gibson makes the leap to super stardom and stays healthy this year.

How much return opportunities have they given Milne? If he can handle it, he makes so much more sense to keep than Carter

Fingers crossed on Gibson becoming a real star. Really was hoping for an upgrade at a big back. Barber is limited. Thought they blew upgrading at RB completely in the draft but so happy they grabbed Patterson. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked Jamin before the draft but like most people, I liked Parsons more.   Cox looked decent, too.  Dallas likely has a good LB corp. 

Hoping Parsons off field decision making helps blow up this years Cowboys

They did well getting Cox in the 4th

Jamin has more upside than both of them and is a great person

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Cowboys have had great LBers for decades. I think it's Jerrys thing. VDE and Lee were (or are) pretty injury prone, but they're excellent. 

I'm thinking Parsons is like Laver. He's going to have a monster rookie season I think, but it'll go right to his head and he'll think he's smarter than his coaches and won't follow the schemes or his responsibilities down the road.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Hoping Parsons off field decision making helps blow up this years Cowboys

They did well getting Cox in the 4th

Jamin has more upside than both of them and is a great person

Jamin is a great person based on what's been said.  Higher upside than Cox, I agree.  I put a lot of energy trying to sell Jamin before the draft.  But, I don't think he has higher upside than Parsons.  I do though like Jamin's upside a lot.  But agree that Parsons personality make him a wildcard.

I watched the NFL draft rookie show pre draft and Parsons was featured in that mix over a number of episodes, I commented about it on the draft thread.  Parsons is brimming with personality and competitive fire.  I think between his play and charisma he can be a star real real fast in a place like Dallas but does that go to his head?   My question watching him is does the dude have too much personality?  Too much ego?  Will see.  Personality wise he reminded me some of his mentor, Lavarr Arrington. Jamin comes off like a total different cat personality wise, quiet dude, military family, yes sir-no sir type.

Parsons to me can be boom-bust.  My gut right now is either superstar or he flames out.  

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Cowboys have had great LBers for decades. I think it's Jerrys thing. VDE and Lee were (or are) pretty injury prone, but they're excellent. 

I'm thinking Parsons is like Laver. He's going to have a monster rookie season I think, but it'll go right to his head and he'll think he's smarter than his coaches and won't follow the schemes or his responsibilities down the road.

Funny I didn't read this until after my post.  But yeah I have a similar impression.  It's not so much that I think he will bust but I think its a possibility. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jamin is a great person based on what's been said.  Higher upside than Cox, I agree.  I put a lot of energy trying to sell Jamin before the draft.  But, I don't think he has higher upside than Parsons.  I do though like Jamin's upside a lot.  But agree that Parsons personality make him a wildcard.

I watched the NFL draft rookie show pre draft, I commented about it on the draft thread.  Parsons is brimming with personality and competitive fire.  I think between his play and charisma he can be a star real real fast in a place like Dallas but does that go to his head?   My question watching him is does the dude have too much personality?  Too much ego?  Will see.  Jamin comes off like a total different cat personality wise, quiet dude, military family, yes sir-no sir type.

Parsons to me can be boom-bust.  My gut right now is either superstar or he flames out.  

I recall all of your draft thread comments and get it, Parsons comes off like a superstar. 

I like @Koolblue13 comparison of Parsons to Lavar. I have a feeling Parson's will not flame out or be a superstar. I think he will be a above average guy that will have issues. Hoping his personality is a detriment to the Cowboys locker room. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I recall all of your draft thread comments and get it, Parsons comes off like a superstar. 

I like @Koolblue13 comparison of Parsons to Lavar. I have a feeling Parson's will not flame out or be a superstar. I think he will be a above average guy that will have issues. Hoping his personality is a detriment to the Cowboys locker room. 

I've compared Parsons to Lavar on the draft thread, too.  Lavar though in stints did look like a superstar especially with Marty.   Like Lavar, Parsons can rush the passer.  As much as I tout Jamin's potential as a pass rusher, Parsons is in another orbit on that front if he plays to his potential.

If I had to pick boom or bust with Parsons, I'd go boom but my guess it doesn't last for the full career.  I'd guess he kills it early in his career but after getting his 2nd contract he implodes some how/some way.   But overall, I am not happy Parsons is a Dallas Cowboy but not overally upset either.   I am not among the crowd that thought, hey he's a Cowboy, good.   But I do think he can be a ticking time bomb.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Updated Roster projection:

Special Teams (3):

1). Way

2). Hopkins

3). Cheeseman

Offense (25):

QB(3):

4). Fitz

5). Heineke

6). Allen

RB(4):

7). Gibson

8). JD

9). Patterson

10). Barber

TE(3):

11). Thomas

12). Bates

13). Reyes (if concussion persists, could be on IR and this would be Ricky Seals Jones instead)

O-line(9):

14). Leno

15). Flowers

16). Rouiller

17). Scherff

18). Cosmi

19). Lucas

20). Schweitzer

21). Larson

22). Charles

WR(6):

23). Terry

24). Samuel

25). Brown

26). Humphries

27). AGG

28). Milne

Defense (25):

D-Line (9):

29). Chase

30). Allen

31). Payne

32). Sweat

33). Ion

34). Settle

35). Smith-Williams

36). Bradley-King

37). Toney

LB (5):

38). Holcombe

39). Bostic

40). Davis

41). Hudson

42). Mayo

CB (6):

43). Fuller

44). Jackson

45). St. Juste

46). Mooreland

47). McTyer

48). Apke

S (5):

49). Kurl

50). Collins

51). McCain

52).  Everett

53). Forrest

Decided to go with 5 LB(s) because Curl and Collins play in the box so much.  I know I cut Cam Sims, but I've never been a fan, and the staff cut him last year too at the end of the pre-season.  They go with the more upside play of AGG.  They could easily cut Apke and go with Carter as a full-time returner.  Larson makes it over Ishmael who hasn't unseated him as the backup center.

Agree with all of this, I do think that Barber may be the only guy that may be out so we can keep either another receiver or LB. Gibson can do everything and more than Barber and Patterson can help keeping Gibsons carries down. 

great roster 👍👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

Agree with all of this, I do think that Barber may be the only guy that may be out so we can keep either another receiver or LB. Gibson can do everything and more than Barber and Patterson can help keeping Gibsons carries down. 

great roster 👍👍

I think while the idea of keeping an extra linebacker is attractive I'm not sure that we have one that merits the slot. It's still one of our weakest units. The biggest question, for me, is whether or not we're planning to scan the waiver wires and pick up a cut or two. There are probably some units where their sixth guy is better than our fourth guy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Borgold said:

I think while the idea of keeping an extra linebacker is attractive I'm not sure that we have one that merits the slot. It's still one of our weakest units. The biggest question, for me, is whether or not we're planning to scan the waiver wires and pick up a cut or two. There are probably some units where their sixth guy is better than our fourth guy.

Couldn’t agree more, very likely we find a much better LB from a team that has a plethora of talent at that position. 

• Like 2

I'd be more fearful of the Dallas defense if they had gotten the guy they were expected to draft - Patrick Surtain Jr.  Parsons will be a dynamic player who brings a lot of energy to the field...but some of that energy will be destructive. Surtain Jr. would have been the steady presence of excellence that their defense lacks.

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems to be a battle for the bottom Corner spots too.

Apke had 30 snaps, more than anyone. Could that mean, the coaches are finding a place for him ?

He may not be "great" at any one particular thing, but he's versatile at 3 things : Safety, Corner, Special Teams.

Being able to play multiple positions is a "plus" for borderline players, because versatile backups actually can free up an extra roster spot.

If we keep 10 DB's, it could be :

Jackson

Fuller

Moreland

St Juste

McTyer

Apke

McCain

Collins

Curl

Forrest

I would just swap Everett for apke and I agree with you.

• Like 1

My opinion. 

Micah Parsons and jamin davis are different linebackers brought in for different purposes.

Parsons is the classic fast aggressive sideline to sideline charge the hole and make a big hit linebacker.

The cowboys couldn't stop a 10 year old from getting 6 yards on the ground against them last year and Parsons is the exact type of linebacker they needed. 

Jamin's skills are more tailored to coverage, he's fast and has the ability to develop into an all around linebacker but coming out of college he was known for having fluid hips and an ability to cover tight ends and running backs, which just so happened to be our biggest weakness exploited glaringly by the bucs. 

My hunch is what we're seeing in the pre season is a reflection of what their coaches are asking them to focus on the most during pre season to correct their teams biggest weaknesses and the role Parsons is playing is flashier and stands out more.

When a quarterback doesn't have a good safety valve option because a linebacker just happens to be in the right place at the right time it's much less noticeable than when a linebacker makes a big hit at the line of scrimmage. 

Having said that I'm not an x's and o's guy so that's just my average fan perspective. 

Has anybody who is an x's and o's person noticed if the cowboys or Parsons in general has been out of place in coverage at all?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

are you referring to the throw where he didn't see Terry or another one?

The throw where he missed Terry. I'm sure more often than not he's going to hit Terry on that play as the season progresses. 

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

My opinion. 

Micah Parsons and jamin davis are different linebackers brought in for different purposes.

Parsons is the classic fast aggressive sideline to sideline charge the hole and make a big hit linebacker.

The cowboys couldn't stop a 10 year old from getting 6 yards on the ground against them last year and Parsons is the exact type of linebacker they needed. 

Jamin's skills are more tailored to coverage, he's fast and has the ability to develop into an all around linebacker but coming out of college he was known for having fluid hips and an ability to cover tight ends and running backs, which just so happened to be our biggest weakness exploited glaringly by the bucs. 

My hunch is what we're seeing in the pre season is a reflection of what their coaches are asking them to focus on the most during pre season to correct their teams biggest weaknesses and the role Parsons is playing is flashier and stands out more.

When a quarterback doesn't have a good safety valve option because a linebacker just happens to be in the right place at the right time it's much less noticeable than when a linebacker makes a big hit at the line of scrimmage. 

Having said that I'm not an x's and o's guy so that's just my average fan perspective. 

Has anybody who is an x's and o's person noticed if the cowboys or Parsons in general has been out of place in coverage at all?

Parsons reminds me a little of Arrington, the good and the bad that came with Lavar. 

Yeah I’m on board with just keeping 5 LBs and stashing whoever you like of that Norris/Kunaszyck/Phillips group on the PS. A signing from elsewhere after final cuts wouldn’t shock me either though, which makes me think we should probably account for 6 LBs on the roster regardless of what the final cuts look like. 

• Like 1

Kind of surprising Sims was released but not shocked. I was high on him after his rookie year, complete let down after last year and then little improvement this preseason. Still, he had game rep where others may not so figured he would last till at least the entirety of the preseason at the very least. I guess they like what they see in the others. I think Carter looking way more natural at the PR/KR role hurt him a lot too. Sims was not suited for that role at all.