Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There are situations where he's just not a great fit and if Gibson isn't available, then we have no other source of power in our backfield.

Pretty much

Gibson and Logan can provide spot power sets, but both are players that are too important to risk mashing against jumbo packages several times a game.

Teams have to be able to get a yard when the whole stadium knows your running the ball, and unless you want to kill arguably your most important offensive weapon, our roster as constructed needs a short yardage back.

21 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Regarding Patterson, I think change of pace back is better terminology for him.  I'd like to see him get a series here and there as the main back and only come off if winded.  

I'd personally use Gibson as the primary back and on all three downs.  Give Patterson a series or two per game and Gibson's primary sub. McKissick as a 2nd back on the field in some packages, some 3rd down rotational work, empty backfield packages, and random running plays just to keep the defense honest.

Id cut Barber but am resigned to him sticking around, at least until they get comfortable in season with Patterson.  I dont know how you keep all 4 active on gameday though.  If they manage that I guess he's your Gerald Riggs.  Im so sorry, Gerald.  So, so very sorry.

Mark Ingram when he gets cut.

I’m with you.  A lot of people talk about Barber in the context of wanting to limit the wear on Gibson, but if Patterson can be trusted on 1st and 2nd downs (and it’s sure looking that way), he’d be be a far better option for that purpose (resting Gibson).  Gibson didn’t pick up the conversion this game, but he’s been outstanding at yards after contact, usually drives his legs (moving the pile) and ‘falls’ forward, so I see him as a very viable option in short yardage.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I am almost afraid to go against the consensus on this, but I kind of like Barber.  Ever since he jumped into the end zone week one against the Eagles, I have thought he had value.  IMO a good offense needs to be able to run the ball for positive yardage and scores in the red zone, and I think Barber is our best red zone back.

I don't dislike Barber, I just don't see him as that great of a substitution for Gibson if he goes down which apparently is a key reason he's going to make the roster according to some who cover the team.  I recall you agreeing that neither McKissic or Barber are much to write home about on that front on the draft thread when some of us (me and you included) pushed for a legitimate #2 back -- where we touted different players to be that guy or even to be 1A and 1B with Gibson.

Purely as a short yardage guy i like Barber.  But in the context, of heck Gibson is down but have no fear Barber is playing and we will barely skip a beat -- I am not on that train of thought.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I’m not impressed with Cam Sims. The fumble, the drop for a TD…

Jamin Davis looked more in command. 

Patterson… I will once again say: he’s going to make the team, get carries and be a big part.

Payne is a monster.

Sweat looks better in run defense. 

I like McTyer and Juste… might like them better than WJ3 but… we’ll give that some time.

We have three decent QBs which is an upgrade to last year where we… well… didn’t. But man, I still wish we got Fields. 

Collins is in good spots it looks like on first watch. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 7

As for the receivers, i am 100% a believer in Dyami.   I am 50-50% on AGG.  Based on reports, Dyami has had a number of killer camp practices.  AGG not so much.  And definitely not so in the practices I watched.  AGG had a career day for himself as far as the NFL yesterday.  But I'd like to see him do it against a high caliber CB.  I rewatched much of yesterday's game now and focused a lot on the WRs.  I still think a good CB can press AGG and disrupt his routes.   I'd feel good to see AGG play with the 1's and kill it.  Not saying he can't.  But I got to see it with him to believe it.  I know he can outjump/out muscle JAG CBs but can he do it versus a real good one?  I don't know -- I am cool with the glass half empty or glass half full arguments on AGG.   And I am on the fence on him but if I see him play with the 1's and he has a good day, it doesn't have to be great, I'd lean positive for sure. 

Dyami to me is in a different category.  Dyami > AGG IMO.  He can seperate, has a really nice double move, knows how to use leverage, etc.  Superstar?  Not sure.  But Dyami to me looks like a clear starter.  He played some X again yesterday like he did in college.  Something I noticed in camp, too.   I think he plays both Z and X this season. 

Dax Milne had a quiet day but on rewatching him, he was decent.  He got open several times.  He just didn't get the ball.  i didn't realize until rewatching that game how much fun he is run blocking.  He's reallly sound with his assignments.  His blocking helped foster a couple of Patterson's runs.   He's really consistent on that front.

wftcincy2.png

wftcincy3.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Count me in with the Patterson hype train.  I was always there though.   I did my share of gushing on the Patterson thread from the jump when we took him.  Called for him among others in the 7th round on draft day.  Still, you never know until you see the player in action against real NFL competition.  And i know some say don't get carried away with preseason especially when you watch players play against 2's and 3's.  I agree to an extent with that.  But Patterson did play some with the 1's and I think the talent is obvious with him.  So I'll risk looking like a dolt, it won't be the first time :ols: if Patterson doesn't live up to his hype.   so yeah I am definitely with @KDawg on the hype train as for Patterson and ditto on Dyami.

Rewatching that game.  2 things struck me.

A.  Still needs some work on pass blocking.  I posted a clip on that.  But I think he will keep improving on that front because he clearly has the desire which is half the battle.

B.  Part of what makes him tough to stop is he gets so skinny in the hole.   It's obvious that he has really good contact balance probably thanks to his low center of gravity.  He has good vision, shifty, lateral quickness, etc.  But what I didn't notice before so much is how little of a crease he needs to break out.  I include a clip here where you can barely even see him in part because he was working through such a small crease that he can break loose from even though it looks like he's plowing through too much traffic.  

wftcincy.png

wftcincy4.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I saw AGG and Seals-Jones logging ST reps. Huge for them

AGG from what I heard has been working already with special teams albeit if I recall the 2nd unit?  i paid attention to Seals-Jones too on my 2nd watch.  He's a hard player for me to get a handle on.  At times his blocking is good but at times he seems to miss his assignment. So I'd sum up his blocking as inconsistent and he doesn't come off as physical as I'd like for a TE on that front.

What hit me about Milne is he always seems to find a dude to block and does a nice job of sticking to his block and moving him out of the way if necessary versus just getting in the way of the player for a second.   Bates to some extent looked the same but I can't vouch for it because i only paid attention to him some of the time.

The thing I'll give Seals Jones is he looks spry for a TE.  He can move. Nothing killer.  but in the context of a backup TE, he looked all right to me.    He can seperate.  they also used him as a fullback I noticed on a couple of plays.  They put him in motion quite a bit. 

If they are keeping 4 RBs and go with lets say 7 WRs (though they might go with 6 according to some) I figure something has to give.  I am presuming Bates and Reyes are locks.  So who would be TE #4?  Pre-concussion and poor showing in game 1, Hemmingway seemed to have a beat on that spot.  Now I am not sure.   And I wonder if they'd consider only 3 TEs?  I'd guess though they'd go 4 especially with Reyes being a work in progress. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

AGG from what I heard has been working already with special teams albeit if I recall the 2nd unit?  i paid attention to Seals-Jones too on my 2nd watch.  He's a hard player for me to get a handle on.  At times his blocking is good but at times he seems to miss his assignment. So I'd sum up his blocking as inconsistent.

What hit me about Milne is he always seems to find a dude to block and does a nice job of sticking to his block and moving him out of the way if necessary versus just getting in the way of the player for a second.   Bates to some extent looked the same but I can't vouch for it because i only paid attention to him some of the time.

The thing I'll give Seals Jones is he looks spry for a TE.  He can move. Nothing killer.  but in the context of a backup TE, he looked all right to me.    He can seperate.  they also used him as a fullback I noticed on a couple of plays.

If they are keeping 4 RBs and go with lets say 7 WRs (though they might go with 6 according to some) I figure something has to give.  I am presuming Bates and Reyes are locks.  So who would be TE #4?  Pre-concussion and poor showing in game 1, Hemmingway seemed to have a beat on that spot.  Now I am not sure.   And I wonder if they'd consider only 3 TEs?  I'd guess though they'd go 4 especially with Reyes being a work in progress. 

I’m not sure how the math works to keep 3 QBs, 4 RBs, 7 WRs, and 4 TEs. If Reyes isn’t healthy or otherwise doesn’t look ready to contribute I don’t think you can keep him as your 3rd TE because you can’t really keep a 4th. He needs to get healthy or else they might try to stash him on IR. Probably the best case scenario if they can get away with that. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

What else can Carter do though? He's been in the league 3 years and hasn't produced anything at all as an actual receiver. Do we really want to keep a guy purely for punt returns who's only even slightly better than average at that? 

That's my question. Carter is really the only proven punt returner we have....seems to me thats why we signed him. It's too important of a role to just trust anyone to do. Sims Jr was terrible last year at it and I don't know that Milne is ready.

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the receivers, i am 100% a believer in Dyami.   I am 50-50% on AGG.  Based on reports, Dyami has had a number of killer camp practices.  AGG not so much.  And definitely not so in the practices I watched.  AGG had a career day for himself as far as the NFL yesterday.  But I'd like to see him do it against a high caliber CB.  I rewatched much of yesterday's game now and focused a lot on the WRs.  I still think a good CB can press AGG and disrupt his routes.   I'd feel good to see AGG play with the 1's and kill it.  Not saying he can't.  But I got to see it with him to believe it.  I know he can outjump/out muscle JAG CBs but can he do it versus a real good one?  I don't know -- I am cool with the glass half empty or glass half full arguments on AGG.   And I am on the fence on him but if I see him play with the 1's and he has a good day, it doesn't have to be great, I'd lean positive for sure. 

Dyami to me is in a different category.  Dyami > AGG IMO.  He can seperate, has a really nice double move, knows how to use leverage, etc.  Superstar?  Not sure.  But Dyami to me looks like a clear starter.  He played a lot of X again yesterday like he did in college.  Something I noticed in camp, too.   

Dax Milne had a quiet day but on rewatching him, he was decent.  He got open several times.  He just didn't get the ball.  i didn't realize until rewatching that game how much fun he is run blocking.  He's reallly sound with his assignments.  His blocking helped foster a couple of Patterson's runs.   He's really consistent on that front.

wftcincy2.png

wftcincy3.png

Nice blocking, Dax !

Cue the "bulk him up with protein shakes, and convert him to Tight End !" crowd !

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Nice blocking, Dax !

Cue the "bulk him up with protein shakes, and convert him to Tight End !" crowd !

With that said, it’s not like we haven’t seen it done. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Count me in with the Patterson hype train.  I was always there though.   I did my share of gushing on the Patterson thread from the jump when we took him.  Called for him among others in the 7th round on draft day.  Still, you never know until you see the player in action against real NFL competition.  And i know some say don't get carried away with preseason especially when you watch players play against 2's and 3's.  I agree to an extent with that.  But Patterson did play some with the 1's and I think the talent is obvious with him.  So I'll risk looking like a dolt, it won't be the first time :ols: if Patterson doesn't live up to his hype.   so yeah I am definitely with @KDawg on the hype train as for Patterson and ditto on Dyami.

Rewatching that game.  2 things struck me.

A.  Still needs some work on pass blocking.  I posted a clip on that.  But I think he will keep improving on that front because he clearly has the desire which is half the battle.

B.  Part of what makes him tough to stop is he gets so skinny in the hole.   It's obvious that he has really good contact balance probably thanks to his low center of gravity.  He has good vision, shifty, lateral quickness, etc.  But what I didn't notice before so much is how little of a crease he needs to break out.  I include a clip here where you can barely even see him in part because he was working through such a small crease that he can break loose from even though it looks like he's plowing through too much traffic.  

wftcincy.png

wftcincy4.png

I want to get on the hype train, but just seems solid. If he develops/proves to be a real threat in the receiving game, then I’m on board. Maybe develop him to replace Mckissic. 

Wish he had an extra gear. Not sure he can capture an edge or threaten the second level consistently. 

Were the "gunners" for the Bengals really that good or was the ST blocking lacking?

Am very hopeful about Collins this year.

QB work was spotty, thankfully it is pre-season.

Jamin at MLB is quite a risk.  Glad he is getting reps because he needs to learn to shuck those blocks.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they are keeping 4 RBs and go with lets say 7 WRs

I don't think that's gonna happen

3 QBs + 9 OL + 7 WR + 3 RB + 3 TEs = 25 O players

They can either have 7 Wrs or 4 Rbs or 4 TEs. Any more and your taking from the D.

Unless we find a guy already on the roster to return punts, you almost have to carry Carter/Dax/Jr

that leaves Terry Brown Samuel Hump as locks giving 5

if your only gonna carry six, you gotta choose between Cam and AGG, but w/ seven, you can carry both

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I keep imagining numerous teams, especially with DL needs, planning to keep a close watch on which DL we cut on the final cutdown day.

I think Dallas was already thin on the interior DL, and then had some guys get injured.  Are there any DTs that the WFT might have to let go that have a good chance to earn playing time on other teams? 

If Washington is really loaded on the DL, it would make sense to trade guys you are considering cutting, even if it only nets you a conditional 6th-7th round pick.

26 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't think that's gonna happen

3 QBs + 9 OL + 7 WR + 3 RB + 3 TEs = 25 O players

They can either have 7 Wrs or 4 Rbs or 4 TEs. Any more and your taking from the D.

Unless we find a guy already on the roster to return punts, you almost have to carry Carter/Dax/Jr

that leaves Terry Brown Samuel Hump as locks giving 5

if your only gonna carry six, you gotta choose between Cam and AGG, but w/ seven, you can carry both

Keeping 26 offensive players wouldn’t be unheard of. They’ve done it recently, maybe even last year? (Edit: I was close. They last kept 26 offensive players in 2019)

27 isn’t going to happen though. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 1