Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jaret Patterson, RB Buffalo

zCommander

13 minutes ago, slinky said:

Took me a minute to realize the date on that - June 2020.

Sanders tweeted that almost a year ago. Of course, not only before we signed him, but obviously before his 2020 season.

I mention that because it makes Sanders' notice of him, all the more impressive ; Sanders tweeted that before Patterson even had his huge season, including the 700 yard game with 8 TD's etc.

He's certainly got one big thing going for him ;

He's practically got little or no competition for the final RB spot, right now.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

What Patterson didn't reveal until two days later, though, was who recommended to Washington head coach Ron Rivera that the club should sign the 21-year-old.

That would be Washington star Chase Young.

"[Young] has the right to say that he made this happen as well. He vouched for me, he wanted me to come to Washington," Patterson told ABC7's Scott Abraham. "He vouched for me to Coach Rivera, that definitely shows he believes in me and I'm going to put on."

The endorsement of Patterson from Young should come as no surprise. Patterson, who grew up in Prince George's County, has been close with the Washington pass rusher since middle school. The two even spent one season of high school as teammates at St. Vincent Pallotti High School before Young transferred to DeMatha Catholic.

"Since middle school we've been tight. That bond, we went to Pallotti together, experiencing the grind. It kind of just clicked. Even when he went to DeMatha we were still tight," Patterson said.

• Like 2

Previously I just watched Patterson's highlights.  So I just watched 2 full games to get a fuller take. 

My take is he's a good player.  But not an everyday back in all likelihood in the NFL but a nice change of pace back.  And I think he's well suited especialy for 2 back sets where you don't have to worry about pass protection.   He's explosive if you give him some daylight.  He makes his cuts so sharply and quick.   That's his thing IMO more than anything else. 

Michael Carter was one of my favorite backs in the draft.  Patterson to me is a poor man's Carter.  Why not as good as Carter?   IMO Carter's stop and go is on another level albeit Patterson is really good on that front, too.  Also Carter is an established passing threat.   Petterson is not. 

Carter also plays bigger than his size when he runs inside and pass protects.  Patterson has his moments when he runs inside but that doesn't strike me as his niche in the NFL.   He has moments where he plays bigger than his size but he's no battering ram type where he's good at bulldozing defenders.   He does play with plenty of physicality and feistiness so i am not suggesting he's soft.  But if he can be blown up at times by NCAA defenders, I can imagine what happens with the NFL.   But he has plenty going for him.  His quick cutting ability and ability to redirect his direction on a dime gives a Barry Sanders light vibe to his play at times. 

Upside

Has a wicked stutter step.  He's a stop and go fiend.  

Quick feet, he cuts and changes direction so fast

Nice contact balance

Good vision

Slippery as heck

His low center of gravity adds to his elusiveness and adds to his contact balance

He can break tackles -- but its more from him being elusive/slippery versus physicality. 

Big time production

Downside

they didn't use him as a passing weapon so no way to know if he'd be good at it.

He gets blown up at times when he pass protects.  And this is against inferior competition.  Imagine the NFL?

When a tackler get a good grip of him they typically bring him down -- he's not going to be a bowling type IMO pushing defenders forward for extra yards.

He had some really good blocking that might have inflated his stats some.   Ditto the inferior competition. 

Takes the ball from shot gun, which seems to help his game to have that running start and it likely helps his vision considering his size, that's fine, but what if they want to run for example play action out of center and sell a fake that feels believable to the defense?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I will say this though ; in certain circumstances, it can actually be an advantage to be short in the NFL.

And this is one of them.

RB size is fascinating, clear benefits to being short, benefits to average, benefits to tall.  He's only 195 but he's clearly extremely well built, runs low to the ground, and has fantastic balance.  Arm tackles won't be enough.

I want to compare him to Maurice Jones Drew as another short guy with fantastic balance, runs low, and powers through tackles cause it's so hard to get a clean shot at him.  MJD was 5'7 and 210, but operated a bit differently.  MJD was faster while Patterson has far more wiggle.

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My take is he's a good player.  But not an everyday back in all likelihood in the NFL but a nice change of pace back.  And I think he's well suited especialy for 2 back sets where you don't have to worry about pass protection.   He's explosive if you give him some daylight.  He makes his cuts so sharply and quick.   That's his thing IMO more than anything else. 

Agreed.  He needs a whole different mindset while pass blocking.  It looks like he's trying to doing things fundamentally correct at times when that's never going to work with his size.

Michael Carter was one of my favorite backs in the draft.  Patterson to me is a poor man's Carter.  Why not as good as Carter?   IMO Carter's stop and go is on another level albeit Patterson is really good on that front, too.  Also Carter is an established passing threat.   Petterson is not. 

Don't think Patterson and Carter are that comparable.  They handle contact differently, Carter has (imo) elite vision, and as you mentioned Carter is good in the passing game.

Upside

His low center of gravity adds to his elusiveness and adds to his contact balance

He can break tackles -- but its more from him being elusive/slippery versus physicality.

He's got the Nick Chubb style of enough wiggle to set up an arm tackle instead of a clean shot, and then his superior balance and quick feet help him get through low quality tackle attempts.

Downside

When a tackler get a good grip of him they typically bring him down -- he's not going to be a bowling type IMO pushing defenders forward for extra yards.

I think there's enough film to show he does that.  He falls forward through contact a lot.  He's had some goalline carries where he gets abnormally low and just bulls through for yards that didn't seem to really be there.

He's not someone who can take a tackler head up and win that battle.  Any good quality tackle attempt and he's losing, but he routinely sets up lower quality tackle attempts against him and he's falling forward unless it's a gang tackle.

Preseason is going to be fun.  If he can continue to set up those lower quality tackles against him, he's going to be taking Peyton Barber's workload.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Kent State ain't too shabby.

They produced Julian Edelman, Antonio Gates, James Harrison, among others :)

I'm sure they have created some individual players in their program that have done great things in the NFL.

However, as a whole, Kent State is Kent State. 😊

I'm strangely excited about this pick after reading all of that.

Sanders must be rolling in his grave that we signed him :ols:

his mom is a principal in Baltimore, theres that Coach Ron's military background. 

very cool that he's friends with Chase. That has to be really cool for both of them

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 6:44 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Sanders must be rolling in his grave that we signed him :ols:

Maybe I'm having a huge brain fart, but I honestly have no clue which Sanders you're referring to.

The only Sanders that made even partial sense to me, was Barry Sanders, due to the fact Barry's tweet about Patterson was quoted in this thread.

But of course, he's not in a grave right now.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe I'm having a huge brain fart, but I honestly have no clue which Sanders you're referring to.

The only Sanders that made even partial sense to me, was Barry Sanders, due to the fact Barry's tweet about Patterson was quoted in this thread.

But of course, he's not in a grave right now.

The in grave part was a joke. I assume he loathes us, because we owned his career. We owned that team for 17 years. Ols

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 2:31 AM, SkinsGuy said:

I'm sure they have created some individual players in their program that have done great things in the NFL.

However, as a whole, Kent State is Kent State. 😊

Exactly.  It's not Superman State.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:00 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Don't think Patterson and Carter are that comparable.  They handle contact differently, Carter has (imo) elite vision, and as you mentioned Carter is good in the passing game.

I compared them because of their size.   They are both really good at stop and go.  But otherwise I agree except for Patterson's vision IMO is pretty special, too. 

As for handling contact.  You didn't quote me on it but I elaborated in that same post that Carter plays bigger than his size and Patterson not so much.  So I don't disagree considering I said the same thing just in a different way.   

It would be hard to find a bigger fan of Carter on the draft thread than me. 

Standig

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 4.39.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 4.40.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 4.40.16 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I really like GMFB.  Cause it genuinely seems like every participant actually tries to follow the NFL and be knowledgeable themselves.

Mike & Mike covered too many sports.  I'd watch their bits on not just our team, but also the division and be like "I know that's not true about the Giants or Eagles...what are they talking about?"

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I really like GMFB.  Cause it genuinely seems like every participant actually tries to follow the NFL and be knowledgeable themselves.

Mike & Mike covered too many sports.  I'd watch their bits on not just our team, but also the division and be like "I know that's not true about the Giants or Eagles...what are they talking about?"

I listened to Mike Greenberg's newish show that he does by himself a couple of days ago, and I kid you not, he ended the day with an interview with Rob Gronkowksi where he called him a bon vivant after and then concluded the show with a segment where he ranked his top five broadway shows that he'd been to, and explained how he'd come to know and befriend half the cast of Hamilton.  Somehow, I don't think that ESPN's resident Frasier Crane was ever that invested in covering the bro minutiae of the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I watch this guy more and more on tape and he is absolutely amazing!  How he slips and is not taken in the draft is beyond unthinkable.  WFT might have gotten one of the top 3 best UDFAs of ALL TIME.  Time will tell.   

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

I watch this guy more and more on tape and he is absolutely amazing!  How he slips and is not taken in the draft is beyond unthinkable.  WFT might have gotten one of the top 3 best UDFAs of ALL TIME.  Time will tell.   

Gotta love the unbridled optimism this time of the year.

Have you ever looked at a list of the top undrafted free agents all time?

Joe jacoby is usually somewhere around 15 to 20.

Probably a tad early for top 3 speculation on patterson but I love the pickup too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Gotta love the unbridled optimism this time of the year.

Have you ever looked at a list of the top undrafted free agents all time?

Joe jacoby is usually somewhere around 15 to 20.

Probably a tad early for top 3 speculation on patterson but I love the pickup too.

Yes, about JJ and he should have been inducted into the HOF a long time ago.  His time will come though.  :) Coach Gibbs transformed him from a DT to a OL.  

Edited by RWJ