Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Benjamin St-Juste, CB Minnesota

zCommander

Round 3 ‧ Pick 10

6a0c79e4-1e9e-4c58-8553-9886a0deaa6f

6’3 1/4″
202 lbs

Strengths
  • Elite size and length for the outside.
  • Has potential for great physical challenges from press.
  • Experienced in a variety of coverage schemes.
  • Quick to close and tackle on first- and second-level catches.
  • Forceful closing through the catch point.
  • Tilts jump-ball odds in his favor with physical traits.
  • Length played major role in swatting passes in 2019.
  • Makes tackles on a consistent basis.
  • Centers up, runs and wraps through his target.
  • Plays off blocks and seals the edge.
Weaknesses
  • Will get turned around by average route-runners.
  • Declares and opens hips too early in press.
  • Grabby in coverage when he gets behind.
  • Route recognition and reading quarterback are a work in progress.
  • False steps at the top of his drop from off-man.
  • Narrow base in space creates bumpy transitions to shadow route breaks.
  • Needs to keep pads under his feet when changing direction.
  • Very average burst to the football.
  • Needs to find the ball sooner when face-guarding.
  • Undisciplined at times when supporting run near the line.

Edited by zskins
  • Thanks 1

My takeaway from this pick is that former Washington player and current League office higher-up Troy Vincent inadvertently leaked that our new name will be Washington Football Club. 😂

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Haha 5

Like this pick.

Long, physical man corner. Nothing he does is phenomenal. He’s just a steady player at corner that likes to play the run and jam the **** out of receivers.

Likely serves as the primary backup to William Jackson right off the bat.

Depth and physicality draftee vs. immediate impact guy, though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Like this pick.

Long, physical man corner. Nothing he does is phenomenal. He’s just a steady player at corner that likes to play the run and jam the **** out of receivers.

Likely serves as the primary backup to William Jackson right off the bat.

Depth and physicality draftee vs. immediate impact guy, though.

Could we convert this guy to FS?

• Like 1

Not watched much of him so can't say much but seems like a guy with loads of good traits thats a bit raw. We have our starting CB's locked in for 2021 so happy to have a high upside guy being coached as depth rather than an old vet thats got no future here. Liking the pick in theory. 

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Could we convert this guy to FS?

Maybe. I don’t see it personally but he has the length. Not sure if the speed is there but he sure as hell has the physicality to be a downhill attacking guy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

zskins, much better with the comma usage.

That's my positive feedback.

My constructive criticism, is that the thread obviously should have read "Juiced for St Juste !"

Let me repeat again for you, in case you missed it in the other thread, this is the same way I did last year. Title stays professional. Not sure you really want to juice up for a backup...lol

I don't get this pick, but often the ones that baffle me most turn out well. Here's hoping it happens again.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Maybe. I don’t see it personally but he has the length. Not sure if the speed is there but he sure as hell has the physicality to be a downhill attacking guy.

Not sure if I like the idea of a slow corner either.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I don't get this pick, but often the ones that baffle me most turn out well. Here's hoping it happens again.

He’s not slow. He’s just not center fielder rangey. His physicality makes up for any lack of burst at corner. 

He’s not a perfect prospect. A little bit of a reach. But he is a schematic fit for us and I love that he was drafted for our scheme vs. a “better” corner that didn’t fit the scheme at all and had no chance. 

If he plays up to his physical level he did in college he’ll develop over time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Short shuttle and 3-cone is really strong. The athleticism is there. 

• Like 2

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2020/10/8/21505960/minnesota-football-benjamin-st-juste-cornerback-locked-down-gopher-secondary-last-season

Minnesota Football: Benjamin St.-Juste was the missing piece of the Gophers’ secondary

The Michigan transfer solidified an elite secondary last season

St.-Juste has not spoken much about his break with Michigan, but his play on the field for Minnesota has done plenty of talking. Four games into the 2019 season, St.-Juste had usurped a starting cornerback role from Kiondre Thomas, who transferred to Kansas State this offseason. Paired with All-Big Ten Honorable Mention defensive back Coney Durr, he has gifted the Gophers with one of the best cornerback tandems in the Big Ten.

What makes him such an effective cornerback? His size, for starters. St.-Juste stands at 6’3” and weighs in at 200 lbs., which is the ideal size and length for an NFL cornerback. NFL scouts covet those measurables in a cornerback because it allows them to match up better with bigger, taller, stronger wide receivers. Take Auburn wide receiver Seth Williams, for example. He is listed at 6’3” and 211 lbs. and was matched up against St.-Juste early in the Outback Bowl.

Unfortunately, Purdue figured out not to challenge St.-Juste and instead set their sights on Kiondre Thomas, who proved much more vulnerable in pass coverage.

One other aspect of St.-Juste’s game I want to highlight is his instincts, or rather his ability to read and react without hesitation. He very rarely overpursues and almost always takes efficient angles to the ball, which is critical for a defensive back who lacks elite speed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Never made an interception in college.  Just think about that!  Carlos Rogers’ hand laughing now

I have a hard time believing any corner they draft could be as bad at catching as Carlos was.

18 minutes ago, zskins said:

I'm not sure who put that video together, but if those are his top 9 plays last year, that's not very impressive.  The first play they show he doesn't do anything but watch the receiver go out of bounds after he makes the catch.  There's not a single interception.  Did he make any?  On the plus side, he does show good tackling.

• Like 1

I'm so hyped on this guy!
He is a brilliant kid. This guy didnt even speak english before he move to US at 17 years old, and still got is major in sport administration. Guys is a bright one and he know what he want and what he need to to, to get it: (Translation follow)

Le demi de coin de six pieds trois pouces et 200 livres qui a joué avec les Golden Gophers de l'Université du Minnesota devrait être sélectionné lors de la deuxième journée du repêchage de NFL, mais St-Juste veut contribuer immédiatement au sein de l'équipe qui va le choisir.

« Je veux avoir un impact immédiat, a mentionné St-Juste lors d'une visioconférence, mercredi. Ça peut être en défensive comme demi de coin ou à une autre position où l'équipe me voit bien intégrer. Ça pourrait être sur les unités spéciales. Peu importe, je veux amener quelque chose à l'équipe et avoir un impact. »

St-Juste aura l'occasion d'impressionner les recruteurs lors d'une journée professionnelle qui aura lieu au Minnesota, jeudi. Le Québécois a affirmé que son seul objectif sera d'apprécier le processus et d'y avoir du plaisir.

« Pour être honnête, je n'ai pas vraiment d'objectifs, a-t-il dit. Je sais que je vais bien faire et peu importe les chiffres qui sortiront, je suis un très bon athlète et un très bon joueur de football. Je vais simplement aller sur le terrain et avoir du plaisir. »

The six-foot-three, 200-pound cornerback who played for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers is expected to be selected on Day 2 of the NFL Draft, but St-Juste wants to contribute immediately to the game. team that will choose it.

“I want to have an immediate impact,” said St-Juste during a videoconference on Wednesday. It can be on defense as a cornerback or in another position where the team sees me integrate well. It could be on special teams. Regardless, I want to bring something to the team and make an impact. "

St-Juste will have the opportunity to impress recruiters during a professional day in Minnesota on Thursday. The Quebecker said his only goal will be to enjoy the process and have fun with it.

“To be honest, I don't really have any goals,” he said. I know I'm going to do well and whatever numbers come out I'm a very good athlete and a very good football player. I'm just going to go out there and have some fun. "

Edited by Partag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1